Hebrew Names vs English

I think its cool thing about the internet, google translate.

And let's face it English isn't what most people round the world speak its actually Chinese. It's widely spread though, but Spanish is up there, especially in the Americas. Though it's weird people call it 'Latin American' when it's not even Latin.

Jesus didn't actually speak much Hebrew as his everyday language was Aramaic. But who do you know who speaks Aramaic?? It's a little known Middle eastern dialect.

Don't worry English speakers, it's a motley mongrel language with strange rules that often don't make sense, but it's possibly easier than Greek. I am amazed that Hebrew has been revived and most Israelites can now speak and read and write it, I think that's a GOOD thing actually. I like learning words in other languages.

I think its cool thing about the internet, google translate.

And let's face it English isn't what most people round the world speak its actually Chinese. It's widely spread though, but Spanish is up there, especially in the Americas. Though it's weird people call it 'Latin American' when it's not even Latin.

Jesus didn't actually speak much Hebrew as his everyday language was Aramaic. But who do you know who speaks Aramaic?? It's a little known Middle eastern dialect.

Don't worry English speakers, it's a motley mongrel language with strange rules that often don't make sense, but it's possibly easier than Greek. I am amazed that Hebrew has been revived and most Israelites can now speak and read and write it, I think that's a GOOD thing actually. I like learning words in other languages.
These are the most spoken languages in the world
  • English – 1,121 million speakers. ...
  • Mandarin Chinese – 1,107 million speakers. ...
  • Hindi – 698 million speakers. ...
  • Spanish – 512 million speakers. ...
  • French – 284 million speakers. ...
  • Arabic – 273 million speakers. ...
  • Bengali – 265 million inhabitants. ...
  • Russian – 258 million speakers.

Interesting, I thought maybe Mandarin Chinese had more. I've learned schools in NZ are not teaching French as a language option anymore and most are teaching Spanish now. I learned French in school.

They used to have Japanese and German too. Mandarin Chinese is difficult to learn to read and write though. But if you speak a different dialect of Chinese, the written characters will be the same.

Latin used to be taught in schools, but now most latin I use is for botanical names. Its a 'dead' language in that its not used for conversation, but its a universal scientific language used for nomenclature, possibly because nobody speaks it anymore, so if you give a plant or animal a latin name, nobody's going to classify it as something else even though it might have a 100 different common names in other languages.

It does help for botanical reference though. I do agree it seems odd if people are always referring to the latin name when the common name would be more generally understood. However if you are being specific about a species then you'll need to learn it sooner or later. ESPECIALLY if you encounter other scientists/botanists who maybe are not in english speaking countries and referring to a plant thats called something else in another language.

Hebrew words and names such as Shalom, HaShem, Adonai, Yeshua etc I don't see a problem with. Maybe it just depends on the person. I don't think I mind it, and if I don't know a word, I can always ask for a translation. Yes maybe you at first feel 'dumb' to ask what something means or to ask for a translation but we are all beginners at some stage of language acquisition. You'll pick it up.

Its like when people talk in slang or use business jargon abbreviations and I have no idea what they are talking about.

Back