History of the canon of the Bible

They aren't "essential" or "necessary", but they do help us get a feel for what "In the fullness of time" means, and that has value. But yes, they don't appear to be divine inspiration, and I kinda feel that is a shame.

On a slightly side note (but still on topic), are you familiar with the Epistle to the Church at Laotecia? It's mentioned in Colossians, and I have the text of it at home. I couldn't find anything in it that wasn't proper. Actually, it reads like a short version of Colossians, sharing many of the same phrases. I just wondered why it wasn't considered for canon. Not that it really adds anything useful, but just because it is actually mentioned, and it's Pauline.

Now there is something you will not find in everyone's library.

It is my understanding that there were no doctrinal changes or statements that are not found in the other writings of Paul.

It seems the Epistle to the Church at Laotecia has always been viewed as pseudepigraphical. It is believed that whoever wrote it simpl copied lines from Paul's writings into the text.

Which would explain why it is not considered inspired even though it states truth from Scriptures.

It seems the Epistle to the Church at Laotecia has always been viewed as pseudepigraphical. It is believed that whoever wrote it simpl copied lines from Paul's writings into the text.

Which would explain why it is not considered inspired even though it states truth from Scriptures.

Agreed!

Ah, that would make sense. Kind of a "what if". I was always curious about it because the collection that it is in didn't elaborate on it's origin, it's mentioned in Colossians, and it reads a lot like a slight paraphrase of Colossians.

Ever wonder how the Books of the Bible were chosen? How did they know which ones were inspired and which ones were mere men writing opinions or history and which ones were frogeries (pseudo works) intended to lead the faithful astray?

I believe the Bible, which is a collection of several inspired books and letters, is self authenticating.

Yes! I saw on the news some weeks ago abt missing books of the bible being found, my aunt and I had a chat and she said those weren't necessary, God basically put what he wanted in his book :) and she also said people are always hyping up new things to question God.. oh I meant to say, to get us to question God.. and I agree w/ her... But I like your answers as well, very insightful :))

I agree with your aunt, as well. :)

People seem to always want to "feel" special. One group claims to have discovered some supposedly unknown secret and then boasts it as proof of their relationship to God. But their "proof" always seems to contradict Scriptures.

The real joy in being a child of God, is not found in receiving a showy gift to make people respect or envy you. The real gift is in understanding that God has already declared you special and worthy of love and reward that you could never earn on your own.

We were born special, because God made each of us unique so that we would perfectly fit His plan for us.

Even our flaws and short comings have been turned to perfection by His Hand.

When we keep our eyes set on Jesus, then everything we do - even our mistakes - will be used for the glory of God. What a relief that is!!!!!

As for those who try to use their "amazing" discoveries to slander God, well,..... Those who are clear about their intentions are no threat to usl. But, let's just be on guard for many times they pose as Christian to trick us. ....... In-other-words, don't get all bent out of shape when someone emails you and says Touched by and Angel is being cancelled. LOL

Back