Home Churches

from the beginning God called women into His service
here are a few listed as "prophetess" ..
Miriam
Deborah
Huldah
Noadiah
Anna (who spoke in the Temple)(NT)

Miriam
Deborah
Huldah
Noadiah

so if it was against the Law of Moses to be in the Temple or speak in the Temple ..
WHY did Anna at Jesus' dedication ???
it seems to me even the Law made exceptions ..

Miriam
Deborah
Huldah
Noadiah

so if it was against the Law of Moses to be in the Temple or speak in the Temple ..
WHY did Anna at Jesus' dedication ???
it seems to me even the Law made exceptions ..

another thing that grabs my attention is Paul is saying not speaking in church agrees with the Law, yet them being there (even silent) does not agree with the Law ..

nor does the Law even say they cannot speak in the Temple as they were not allowed even in, but remained in the women's court ..

WHY did Anna at Jesus' dedication ??? it seems to me even the Law made exceptions ..

All those women you cited lived in the Old Testament: including Anna.
Anna was not in that part of the Temple where there was the reading of the Law: she was in the Temple where the dedication took place: so it was proper, for the baby's mother would also be there.

Now, give the scripture where it states that a woman was called into the office of the Ministry: ie: "...some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers."

There is definitely a place for the women in the Church: besides being busy in the home, it is "...that they may teach the young women to love their husbands...".

the Sanhedrin had the power to make laws ..
so I'm thinking Paul is referring to a law the Sanhedrin made concerning synagogues ..

my data is sketchy, but I do believe women were allowed in the synagogues at this point ..

I've always been interested in small groups or a home church where the focus is on discussion rather than preaching. I've never cared much for preaching.

Yeah, me too. The model of one person lecturing an audience is not the best way for most people to learn. For people to be engaged with teaching, they need to have space to be able to critically reflect on what's being said through asking questions.

women you cited lived in the Old Testament: including Anna.
Anna was not in that part of the Temple where there was the reading of the Law: she was in the Temple where the dedication took place: so it was proper, for the baby's mother would also be there.

Anna is only mentioned in the NT ..

Luk 2:38
At that very moment she came up and began giving thanks to God, and continued to speak of Him to all those who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem.

nor was the law read at the Temple, but in a Synagogues ..
such "as was Jesus' custom to read it at the Synagogues on the Sabbath" ..

Luk 4:16
And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read.

I always feel like it's brainwashing. I know that isn't the case but I hate when pastors say "say amen" after making a point. I try to think for myself instead of having other people's opinions shoved down my throat.

Advantages = personal attention, make Christian friends. Disadvantages = No elders present / heresy very likely.

I can understand where you're coming from.

Although, does, let's say, the mega-church model really do all that much more to immunise against "heresy"? I think fairly simple observation will tell us that it does not.

Perhaps a better solution than "stay there until they go mad" may be to be vigilant about preventing isolation to make they're keeping themselves accountable to other local churches.

I always feel like it's brainwashing. I know that isn't the case but I hate when pastors say "say amen" after making a point. I try to think for myself instead of having other people's opinions shoved down my throat.

of you break down the Hebrew .. Amen basically means "it is of God" ..
so it does sound like he is fishing for a pat on the back ..

if you break down the Hebrew .. Amen basically means "it is of God" ..
so it does sound like he is fishing for a pat on the back or trying to imitate Duet ..

Last edited:
All the pastors I've been taught by do that. I hate it. I don't think the congregation should be prompted to have any sort of reaction. It's not like it's a studio audience for a sitcom.

(1)
the Sanhedrin had the power to make laws ..
so I'm thinking Paul is referring to a law the Sanhedrin made concerning synagogues ..
my data is sketchy, but I do believe women were allowed in the synagogues at this point ..

(2)
Anna is only mentioned in the NT ..
Luk 2:38
At that very moment she came up and began giving thanks to God, and continued to speak of Him to all those who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem.
nor was the law read at the Temple, but in a Synagogues ..
such "as was Jesus' custom to read it at the Synagogues on the Sabbath" ..
Luk 4:16
And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read.

(1) Beloved the Sanhedrin agreed with the interpretation of the Law, but could not change the Laws of Moses and stood steadfastly on it. There's not even a sketch or hint of circumvention.

(2) Anna lived in the Old Testament: which the Lord Jesus was still fulfilling. The Synogogues had to follow the same restrictions and ordinances of the Law.

We must understand that the "Gospels" were written after the fact, and are testimonies to the life and works of Jesus: "...who was made of a woman; made under the Law." The New Testament was established from the Day of Pentecost, after the Promise (the Holy Spirit) was shed upon "...all flesh..." for the first time.

I like to think 'Amen' is a matter of respect to God, like praise God, praise the Lord. When a pastor asks "Amen"? , it is for those who agree with the Word.

I can understand where you're coming from.
Although, does, let's say, the mega-church model really do all that much more to immunise against "heresy"? I think fairly simple observation will tell us that it does not.
Perhaps a better solution than "stay there until they go mad" may be to be vigilant about preventing isolation to make they're keeping themselves accountable to other local churches.

Beloved, the biggest problem we have today is that the "saints" are not stepping up to their obligation. The Church today is set up according to the pattern of the Old Testament: and we have strayed from the pattern set by the Lord Jesus. The Church has been organized to have the Ministry serve the Church; that is, to "...perfect...work the ministry...and edify..." her. The saints (men) have allowed religion to replace the work of the Lord. So now we have one man (Pastor) replacing the High Priest; and the "helps", replacing the Levites working in the Tabernacle.
The saints (men) were given a voice in the Church, and were not called to be silent. The elders were supposed to agree with the teaching or preaching, or to give their voice to correction! The women were called to be silent in the Church, and to learn at home (instructed by their own husbands: but, instead,now they are more vocal than the men!

"But I would have you know that the head of every (plural) man is Christ; and the head of the woman (Singular) is the man (singular)."
In other words, man is to obey the Lord; the woman, her own husband!

Back