How did you all find God?

I have never been a religious person, not really. My Mom would take us to church on the 2 big holidays because my Oma was a habitual church go-er... But that was about it. So I grew up not really learning much about Christianity or God. I mean, of course I knew of them, but the things I learned made them seem less real and harder to truly grasp in my mind. Terrible things happen to people every day, so a part of me thought that God either wasn't real or, if he was, he was at least partly to blame, so why should I worship him? I've grown a bit since then and I truly believe that everything around us came from something... I'm not entirely convinced that everything in the bible happened just as it's written, but I do believe that there has to be something that created the spark of life that is in all living things. I want to know more about your guys' experiences and how you overcame things in your life that made it hard to have faith... I want to continue growing.

I have never been a religious person, not really. My Mom would take us to church on the 2 big holidays because my Oma was a habitual church go-er... But that was about it. So I grew up not really learning much about Christianity or God. I mean, of course I knew of them, but the things I learned made them seem less real and harder to truly grasp in my mind. Terrible things happen to people every day, so a part of me thought that God either wasn't real or, if he was, he was at least partly to blame, so why should I worship him? I've grown a bit since then and I truly believe that everything around us came from something... I'm not entirely convinced that everything in the bible happened just as it's written, but I do believe that there has to be something that created the spark of life that is in all living things. I want to know more about your guys' experiences and how you overcame things in your life that made it hard to have faith... I want to continue growing.

Glad to hear from you my friend.

IF you want to grow then read the Bible!

John 17:17 says........
"Sanctify them with truth...thy Word id Truth".

Romans 10:17 then says........
"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God".

Now may I say to you that "experiences" do not grow faith or give anyone knowledge. Experiences, whether they be good or bad simply are events in life that happen to all people.

Biblically speaking, to find God means to accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. It is only through Jesus that anyone can come to God. The only way to know God is to know Jesus Christ. Then when you receive Him, then Christ results in a spiritual transformation (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Therefore, to find God is to recognize one’s need of salvation and exercise faith in Christ. The result of finding God is living the Christian life.
Now there is more to answer to who finds who. Do we find God or has God already found us. But that is for a future day to learn about.

So then allow me ask you............have you believed upon the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour and asked Him to forgive you of your sins???????

That my dear friend is the 1st step in knowing God.

1. Believe in your heart that Jesus is the Christ, that He died for YOU and then rose from the dead 3 days later.
2. Say with your mouth in a prayer to God that you accept Jesus as your Saviour.

BOOM!

You are then SAVED from the penalty of your sins which is death.

Then you can follow in believers baptism and join a Bible believing church!

Hello New_to_town;

Thank you for your honesty and asking good questions. Most people are savvy in the real world and can formulate things on their own, but they don't know God and will have the same questions about Him.

Major's post previous to mine are good steps to Christianity. I also serve in the church and when new visitors attend they also pose the same questions.

New_to_town, at this time have you thought about visiting a church in your neighborhood? If so, think about making an appointment with the pastor and tell him you'd like share your questions. Afterward, if your gut tells you to visit the church, then I encourage you to visit and witness the service for yourself.

We have a new member, 24, just walked in our church last month. She is a Christian but her fiance, 25, is not religious, but he's happy that she loves God and is already active in our church. He also has questions, especially in his case, the
fear factor of taking a step and learning more about God and all He is.

Just last weekend he visited our church with her for the first time. I spoke with him after the service and told him thank you for visiting and encouraged him to take one day at a time before deciding to return with his fiance. No pressure. He seemed comfortable with that.

My relationship with God happened back in June 1966. My questions were many and took time to get the answers, but in time the questions melted away with solid answers that helped me decide to choose God.

I was in a rock band and in 1974 I took my guitar and was actively playing during Sunday service. I got past many of life struggles by finishing high school, college, work and later seminary. I was single and happy but at 27 found the right woman, 26, who has stood by my side and we have been married for 36 years. The struggles in life has been many but the relief is, God has been with us every day, even when I was pissed off in my marriage, at work, people relationships and the world.

My faith has been hit with hard times, but is solidified by the hard knocks experience as a result has grown my faith with Him. The life challenges are still there, especially when things happen that I cannot control. But the first thing we (wife and me) do is go to Him in prayer and there is a sense of peace and calm. God gets us through it all.

I hope this will help you a little, New_to_town.

God bless you and your family.

Hi and welcome.

Suffering led me to want to know who God was and why He bothered to create the world and why He thought it was good (genesis 1) I certainly didn’t see it as a good place. Not only was nothing permanently satisfying, It seemed downright cruel even among the beauty and synergy . ( all creation must kill and eat or use something else to survive)

So I began a quest to learn who this God is and why we suffer. And How to get through life when everything around is seems so dark and gloomy and pointless.

things started making a bit more sense when I started learning about Who He is and How we all went wrong and how we can put things right.

I wish you well in your journey.

Hi NTT and welcome to CFS. The long and short of growth as His newborn child is His grace. We have no formulas, 10 STEPS, deep breaths or anything like that, just faith which is strengthened by His Word and the trials we go through.
As far as the question 'How did you find God?'...in short, I didn't, rather He found me, picked me up and has been cleaning me off the past 47 years or so.

Last edited:
I thank you all for your answers.

I have not joined a church or even been to one in a very long time... I have been thinking about this a lot lately though. It is something I need to look into. I don't pray as much as I should, not that there is a right number... I just feel that I should pray more.

I've actually never said the words that I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I'm not against it in any way, I just want to feel it instead of say it, and I guess that's kinda what I'm trying to look for right now... I'm sure that I'll need to find my own answer because everyone is different, but I appreciate everyone pointing the way to me at least.

The parts of the Bible I have been through didn't ever provide me with the spark I had hoped for... It's possible that I need to read it in it's entirety for full effect, I will need to try again.

How does He find me? Sometimes I feel like we are ants in an ant farm. Like we are visible if one is looking hard enough, but we are doing our own thing in our own little world and nothing outside of our bubble is really paying close attention to us... I have a faith problem, I'll be the first to admit it. I just don't know how to reconcile the things I see or experience with God... Not that He has to prove anything to me, but it would make everything easier... And not that things should be easy, they shouldn't... I just don't know.

How does He find me?
He finds us in our sin and under condemnation. He comes to us convicting us of our sin. We turn to Him as guilty sinners in need of a Savior.

John 16:8-9 NKJV
[8] And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: [9] of sin, because they do not believe in Me;

Galatians 3:1 NKJV
[1] O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you as crucified?

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 NKJV
[1] Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, [2] by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you-unless you believed in vain. [3] For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, [4] and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Last edited:
I have a faith problem, I'll be the first to admit it.
Everybody has the same problem. "Faith" in common usage is a worthless as "Love" in terms of actual meaning.
As Eph 2:8,9 states, "FAITH" has to be gifted by God. it's NOT something that a human can generate. ANd according to James 1, it MUST have two attributes - SUBSTANCE, and EVIDENCE - of what you don't see.

I agree with Bob Carabbio that it is God who brings us to him.

When I was around 10, I was curious about church because a neighbor was going to church each week. As a young child it was simple curiosity and looking for fun. A short time later my parents started going regularly. I really can't say that I found God at that time nor that God was calling me.

I studied God's word and was baptized in my twenties. At the time I felt sincere, but I lacked true understanding of God and faith. A major trial came up in my life and I felt forsaken by God and the church. I questioned God.

About 15 years ago, God woke me up. I came to know what it really means to have faith or trust in God. I found myself in a situation where I had lots of time to study and came to a much better understanding of what God was revealing. When God opens your eyes, then it's like a light switch being turned on. It is nothing like fumbling in the dark for answers. It is more like searching in a bright light finding more answers every time you look.

God works with each of us differently. I doubt any one person's experience or path is the same. Some may have similar experiences but not the same experiences.

I've come to know in my life that there is much more to faith and love than many teach. Faith is a gift from God, God though then gifts us with challenges and troubles in our life so that we can exercise that faith that it might grow. Some may say differently and I would have as well early in life until God walked me through a number of trying situations showing me where faith can lead. Ultimately, I personally know that I can trust and rely on God because he has revealed that patiently waiting on him does bring an end to troubles.

Hi New_to_town
You are very honest and that will take you a long way.
It was nothing I did that brought me to God I just believed and God did the rest.
Prayer and reading the bible will guide you to knowing and loving Him. Once you realise the tremendous love, the extent of sacrifice Jesus made for you and all He left behind to come down for us, you will not be able to not believe and love Him.
When I got my first bible I read the New Testament first and i just couldn't put it down.
Pray and ask for help ask for faith, hope and love.
Keep with us.
God Bless You.

I have not joined a church or even been to one in a very long time... I have been thinking about this a lot lately though. It is something I need to look into. I don't pray as much as I should, not that there is a right number... I just feel that I should pray more.

I've actually never said the words that I accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I'm not against it in any way, I just want to feel it instead of say it, and I guess that's kinda what I'm trying to look for right now... I'm sure that I'll need to find my own answer because everyone is different, but I appreciate everyone pointing the way to me at least.

The parts of the Bible I have been through didn't ever provide me with the spark I had hoped for... It's possible that I need to read it in it's entirety for full effect, I will need to try again.

How does He find me? Sometimes I feel like we are ants in an ant farm. Like we are visible if one is looking hard enough, but we are doing our own thing in our own little world and nothing outside of our bubble is really paying close attention to us... I have a faith problem, I'll be the first to admit it. I just don't know how to reconcile the things I see or experience with God... Not that He has to prove anything to me, but it would make everything easier... And not that things should be easy, they shouldn't... I just don't know.

Know this my friend.

There is heaven to be gained. The only way to get there is to believe upon Jesus As the Saviour of your soul.

YOU just like me and everyone else will die. Now when that happens and it could be today....where will you spend eternity????

To go to heaven YOU must choose Jesus!

Please do not wait too long and one day be saying......."I shoulda, I woulda and I coulda"!

Well some christians reached out to me at first...
I wasn't brave enough to enter a church all on my own and hang out with christians, knowing I wasn't one. I know how it feels...like everyone can see your sin and you feel like you just messing things up by just being there.

I read someone here "say" that he was saved 58 years ago. Well, I was saved at 58.

Revelation 3:20 (NKJV) notes "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

What the Bible does not tell us is that sometimes God gets tired of knocking and just kicks the door right off its hingers.

One day (early January 2019) it all just caught up to me and knocked me to the dirt. I still have a welt from there the door hit me in the head. I mean knocked me to the dirt and I re-lived every stupid thing I had ever done. Did not know what was goin one, but just knew it was too much to hold up on my own. By then, I had resigned from my job and spent several long months at home going though some serious moments. If memory serves me, I think I lost close to 50 pounds in a couple of months.

At first, I started reading the Bible and asking questions. I grew up attending Catholic church, but I knew that was not going to work for me. I then found a non-denominational church and, during the very first sermon, it felt like Pastor Rick was talking to me. Then I found this place and, with the help of several wise and caring people (you know who you are), I asked questions and got answers. The church thing stuck and I eventually became a volunteer at the church. We focus a great deal of attention on small groups (Bible study groups) so I am a member of that as well (that has been a hit or miss thing for many reasons and I often think about starting my own group). My faith grew, I got baptized, and I am now trying to find some additional volunteer work I can get involved with (thinking about our adoption ministry)

After a couple of months of reflecting, I went back on the market and now have what I believe is one of the best "jobs" I have ever had (I've basically only had three jobs in my life, as the first one lasted over 25 years).

Now, don't get be wrong. I am still growing, have many many questions, and stumble more often than I would like to admit.

The weight has been lifted, the lights turned on, but the struggle continues. On the other hand, I now know something I did not know then:

10_13.JPG
Welcome home New_to_town . Supper is at 7, but you have to clean your own dishes.

Rtm

Welcome New_to_town

Christianity has always been part of my life, but I only became serious when I became an adult.

Your post reminds me of a conversation I had with a colleague a few years ago. She said that she was trying to figure out which religion to choose. She further said she decided to try Christianity and read a portion of the bible and felt nothing.

Unfortunately, like others have mentioned already, Christianity is based on faith. Therefore you will probably not have a spark or tangible experience or any sensation. If you could see, feel and hear anything then it would not be faith.

Christ says that blessed are those who have not seen, but yet believe (John 20:29)

The root word in the word “Christian” is Christ. Therefore a person should decide to become a Christian if they have studied the character of Christ and want to follow him and imitate him. Christ came to save us from our sins and therefore you should be a Christian if you want to change and no longer want to live a sinful lifestyle.

Choosing to be a Christian other than these two reasons will result in frustration.

There is a man called Doctor Subodh Pandit. He spent many decades studying different types of religions and eventually he converted to Christianity.

He wrote a book called Come Search With Me

STAFF EDIT - Link Removed: Please review Forum Rule # 7.1

You can also refer to the YouTube videos that he made. Maybe his series will be helpful to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read someone here "say" that he was saved 58 years ago. Well, I was saved at 58.

Revelation 3:20 (NKJV) notes "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

What the Bible does not tell us is that sometimes God gets tired of knocking and just kicks the door right off its hingers.

One day (early January 2019) it all just caught up to me and knocked me to the dirt. I still have a welt from there the door hit me in the head. I mean knocked me to the dirt and I re-lived every stupid thing I had ever done. Did not know what was goin one, but just knew it was too much to hold up on my own. By then, I had resigned from my job and spent several long months at home going though some serious moments. If memory serves me, I think I lost close to 50 pounds in a couple of months.

At first, I started reading the Bible and asking questions. I grew up attending Catholic church, but I knew that was not going to work for me. I then found a non-denominational church and, during the very first sermon, it felt like Pastor Rick was talking to me. Then I found this place and, with the help of several wise and caring people (you know who you are), I asked questions and got answers. The church thing stuck and I eventually became a volunteer at the church. We focus a great deal of attention on small groups (Bible study groups) so I am a member of that as well (that has been a hit or miss thing for many reasons and I often think about starting my own group). My faith grew, I got baptized, and I am now trying to find some additional volunteer work I can get involved with (thinking about our adoption ministry)

After a couple of months of reflecting, I went back on the market and now have what I believe is one of the best "jobs" I have ever had (I've basically only had three jobs in my life, as the first one lasted over 25 years).

Now, don't get be wrong. I am still growing, have many many questions, and stumble more often than I would like to admit.

The weight has been lifted, the lights turned on, but the struggle continues. On the other hand, I now know something I did not know then:

View attachment 6155
Welcome home New_to_town . Supper is at 7, but you have to clean your own dishes.

Rtm

Excellent testimony and what it says is that when God predestines to save you.....he knows where you are and He will save you.

I truly appreciate everyone's responses and advice. I have been going through a rough time recently and I have some soul searching to do it would seem.
Many of us find ourselves in the same place, from time to time.

I do not know if you have seen this series called "The Chosen." Anyway that part if not important. At the end of one of the episodes, a pastor provided a short commentary that I really liked. I like it so much, I wrote it down and find it inspirational. I hope is speaks to you, as it did to me:

"We see the anguish that Nicodemus goes through as he watches Jesus leave without him. So many times we cling to what is comfortable because we are afraid to let go.

We may be afraid of disappointing others or letting them down. Or we might even be afraid of failing ourselves.

Nicodemus surely felt a burden to his family or to his students. But he just could not grasp that God would not leave him or forsake him as He would not leave or forsake Nicodemus.

That pull between the comfortable and the unknown can be scary. As imperfect humans a fear of letting go is what makes so many of us run from God. Yet when we surrender all and allow God to move, He blesses us with the unmanageable. Drain ourselves of our own desires and giving God the space to work is so rewarding. However, we must be willing to take the first step. We must be willing to move out of our comfort zone and be willing to let go.

What are you afraid of giving up? What are you terrified of losing? These are the walls that are keeping you from the Kingdom of Heaven. These things you hold on to will turn to ash, but He is the eternal flame. And hi Him, you will find warmth. In Him you will find peace. In Him you will find rest. So right now, will you make a choice? Like Nicodemus, will you watch Jesus walk away or will you choose to follow after Jesus? The Bible simply says that if you will confess with your mouth and believe in your heart you will be saved. And what does that mean? It’s not just words, it’s actions because faith without deeds are dead. So, what do you do? You follow Jesus. You choose to surrender everything to Him."

Unknown pastor, North Church

Rtm

Back