How do we reopen and get back to normal.

When Cuba was embargoed they spent a year or two growing their own food and they had barely any land to grow it on but they learned how to be self sufficient..and they are an even hotter climate than Florida. So it can be done.

Thing is do YOU want to do it or just think it can't be done. There will always be naysayers who don't want to change anything.
Florida has a unique temperature thing. The difference between one area and another is impressive. Here is a comparison between Miami and Tallahassee: They wee temps below 14C for half the year, we might see it 2 - 3 times a year and only on "bad winter" years.

1588426991053.png

I agree. I was looking at a website with charts and graphs, here in NY we have managed to slow the virus down by employing severe isolation techniques coupled with masks & gloves for everyone. But as soon as the curve dipped, it spiked again. I assume that folks were happy the virus slowed up so they relaxed the precautions they were taking so the curve spiked again.

IMO the only way we'd be rid of this quickly would be a world wide move to call on God, and I tend to doubt that will happen. I'm not yet hearing many people speak of God, more than a month ago, but not enough.
You have the few hotspots which are seeing a rise in deaths as those who have been for weeks on ventilators are being shut off, but for the most part new infections are on a downward path. But we shall see.

Here is the latest new normal for flying...
"On Sunday, Spirit Airlines became the latest domestic airline requiring passengers to wear face masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Starting Monday, passengers on United, Delta and JetBlue will begin wearing them. Spirit's new policy will take effect on May 11, the same day as American, Southwest and Alaska.

The face mask requirement marks the beginning of what's likely to be a prolonged effort to resume domestic and eventually international air travel. "...
Coronavirus: Spirit to require passenger masks, joining Delta, United

Why do you think this is true?
I assume you don't agree it's the result of what we are doing.
If you look, the hotspots had underlying causes, International Airports or Seaports which allowed entry, Then this was exacerbate by the close contact such as what you have in the subway in New York, the mass Mardi Gras party in New Orleans' etc.. The rest of the country was pretty much spared, and yet the news kept constantly pushing the line that 1000 plus deaths a day like the hotspots, was our destiny in the large metropolitan areas. Didn't happen.

As for the numbers, they vary according the news interpretation rather than just facts, so you have to check the context and raw data to get a true picture. If you look at the models, they have been all over the place and now the news is saying its on the rise after a few days of states opening.

They are doing what clearly is manipulation on this serious issue, and for their own purposes.

Here is some of the new normal for stores...
"But, reopening the state comes with limitations, right now restaurants can offer outdoor seating with 6-foot spacing between tables, parties of only 10 or fewer people can be seated and indoor seating is limited to 25-percent capacity. The same capacity limits apply to retail stores, museums and libraries.

Simon Property Group, one of the country's largest mall owners, plans to open 49 shopping centers across the country starting on May 1st.
The company said it will limit the number of entrances to each property and make sure that occupancy does not exceed one person per 50 square feet of space.
Locations will also provide:

I'm trying to picture millions of people growing their crops on their balconies. Hm, just can't picture it. What is a "pie in the sky" occupation?

rtm
"Pie in the sky" is a pejorative for a vague attitude of dont worry things will eventualy get better (we'll have pie in the sky when we die). So a pie in the sky occupation is one that is not immediatly effective, and anticipates an un-guaranteed future benefit.

As Christians, our hope is not vague, nor restricted to the future, but real and while fulfillment is in the kingdom, Gods loving kindness is all around now.

How do we reopen
I think when the virus is eliminated or contained or the vaccine becomes available then its safe to reopen.
Now people actually know what to do if they fall sick, ie. stay home in bed....go into quarantine, but have people deliver food etc you know, just common sense things you do for caring for others health... there shouldn't be that much risk.

The problems come about when employers don't give enough sick days, and tell people they need to work all the time. Then people go to work exhausted and also spread anything infectious. Or people feel obligated to hold huge events, not realising that mass crowds and huge numbers aren't always beneficial just cos it leads to more profits. Wealthy people have also learned to TAKE A PAY CUT and employers to look after their employees wellbeing.

With teachers I'm thankful because school teachers work so hard all the time for little pay (especially primary school teachers) when parents need to take some responsibiltiy, spend time with their children and teach them as well.

They are now having a well earned break. And with teachers, if you fall sick you need to call a reliever to fill in for you...but I have known some that because they are paid so little that they have to go to work sick! Or they used up their sick leave. Which is a measly 5 days.

And there has been a shortage of teachers with overcroweded classrooms, up to 30 in one class. Which is a lot. You try having a family of 30 children.

Can someone please explain to me exactly what is a prepper? I never heard that word in relation to this crisis.
Hi John. A prepper is a person that prepares for possible calamities, natural disasters, pandemics, dooms day predictions ect. Boy Scout motto is "Be prepared"

How do we reopen
I think when the virus is eliminated or contained or the vaccine becomes available then its safe to reopen.
Now people actually know what to do if they fall sick, ie. stay home in bed....go into quarantine, but have people deliver food etc you know, just common sense things you do for caring for others health... there shouldn't be that much risk.

The problems come about when employers don't give enough sick days, and tell people they need to work all the time. Then people go to work exhausted and also spread anything infectious. Or people feel obligated to hold huge events, not realising that mass crowds and huge numbers aren't always beneficial just cos it leads to more profits. Wealthy people have also learned to TAKE A PAY CUT and employers to look after their employees wellbeing.
If it doesn't fade away, it will become our regular flu, and what happens if they never get a vaccine, as the medical experts keep saying is a possibility. Then we have to decide what level of risk is acceptable, and plan our lives accordingly.

I can handle regular flu but businesses and workplaces and transport carriers ought to make adequate allowances for when the flu season arrives.

The other thing people can do, is FORGIVE debts.
But I don't know if the banks will ever do this. If they did, if the World bank actually did the Christian thing and forgave debt, what a huge difference it would make to people's lives all around the world.

There has never really been a cure for the common cold... what you do is you just stay home, in bed, and read your Bible. Takes about at least 2 weeks to recover. All that time you drink chicken soup and nourishing herbal teas.
But it's quite relaxing.

Flu you can get vaccines but depends on the timing of vaccines and some aren't that effective, I've heard mixed reports of people never getting the vaccine, and not getting sick and those that do and still get sick. Some workplaces give them free, but others you have to pay.

I don't recall getting any free flu shots in all the places I've worked, and just stayed home when I was unwell. I worked outside for whole year in the cold and rain and I never had to take a day off for cold or flu. But last year working at school I was down for several days and the entire holidays because in a closed environment like a school, everyone is vulnerable to getting it.

At home if one person got sick pretty soon the whole household would be sick too. But you see not everyone has the luxury of being able to isolate in their own homes when it's a shared household. Those who are very wealthy that they can afford separate bedrooms for every single person living there and separate kitchens and bathrooms of course have no problem. But they seldom think of other people's living conditions who are less well off.

I can handle regular flu but businesses and workplaces and transport carriers ought to make adequate allowances for when the flu season arrives.

The other thing people can do, is FORGIVE debts.
But I don't know if the banks will ever do this. If they did, if the World bank actually did the Christian thing and forgave debt, what a huge difference it would make to people's lives all around the world.

Good morning Lanolin. Ok, your comment got my attention. How do you figure that a bank forgiving a debts is the Christian thing do so? To start with, it is not their money. Banks make loans with depositor's money and they just make a killing off the interest.

rtm

If it doesn't fade away, it will become our regular flu, and what happens if they never get a vaccine, as the medical experts keep saying is a possibility. Then we have to decide what level of risk is acceptable, and plan our lives accordingly.
Good morning. Not sure I know what a "regular" flu is, but I get your point. We still do not have a vaccine for SARS and that was back around 2002. While I agree that we will eventually just have to move on, it's all about timing. At present, we are averaging between 25,000 and 35,000 new cases a day (in the US). We lead the world in the case count (1.2 million), but have done a pretty good job at keeping the death count low (when looked at vs. case count).

Not every jurisdiction has done an antibody test. We have in Miami-Dade and it appears that around 6% of the population has the antibodies. That means that, while we have a case count of a little more than 13,000, the actual count is somewhere between 120,000 and 233,000. All experts have agreed that this self imposed home prison thing has greatly attributed to the lower numbers we have seen, compared to the original projections.

Yes, we have to eventually come out of the cave and venture off, but it's all about the area and the timing. Here in Miami, we are just a grenade waiting for someone to pull the pin. Once the airport and seaport open back up, the whole world will be coming back and who knows what happens next. Last week, Miami Beach opened up some of the local parks. In one weekend, they issued 7,000 warning for not wearing a face covering, 500 warning for no social distancing, asked over 1,300 people to leave, and ended up shutting the park down.

I guess we just have to wait to see. The county opened up our "open spaces" this past week, so we need to see what it looks like at the 14-day mark. This coming week, we will start to open up local businesses, office buildings, etc. For the moment, it is about waiting to see what happens. No matter what happens, it is going to be a "new normal" and I have no idea what that looks like.

rtm3039

Good morning. Not sure I know what a "regular" flu is, but I get your point. We still do not have a vaccine for SARS and that was back around 2002. While I agree that we will eventually just have to move on, it's all about timing. At present, we are averaging between 25,000 and 35,000 new cases a day (in the US). We lead the world in the case count (1.2 million), but have done a pretty good job at keeping the death count low (when looked at vs. case count).

Not every jurisdiction has done an antibody test. We have in Miami-Dade and it appears that around 6% of the population has the antibodies. That means that, while we have a case count of a little more than 13,000, the actual count is somewhere between 120,000 and 233,000. All experts have agreed that this self imposed home prison thing has greatly attributed to the lower numbers we have seen, compared to the original projections.

Yes, we have to eventually come out of the cave and venture off, but it's all about the area and the timing. Here in Miami, we are just a grenade waiting for someone to pull the pin. Once the airport and seaport open back up, the whole world will be coming back and who knows what happens next. Last week, Miami Beach opened up some of the local parks. In one weekend, they issued 7,000 warning for not wearing a face covering, 500 warning for no social distancing, asked over 1,300 people to leave, and ended up shutting the park down.

I guess we just have to wait to see. The county opened up our "open spaces" this past week, so we need to see what it looks like at the 14-day mark. This coming week, we will start to open up local businesses, office buildings, etc. For the moment, it is about waiting to see what happens. No matter what happens, it is going to be a "new normal" and I have no idea what that looks like.

rtm3039
Ok, lets break it down by state/county, and we can look at Florida with everybody out except for a few counties. It has been going down in the state...

So lets look at the county with Disney were all the tourist go and they have 35 deaths, and 1446 cases in Orange County...

And they are seeing the new cases going down.....

So I would say they will be looking to open the Magic Kingdom.. and did a search and looks like they are thinking the same way...https://www.clickorlando.com/theme-parks/2020/05/05/coronavirus-disney-shares-plans-to-reopen-parks-with-new-safety-measures/

So gonna stand on the soapbox a little...
What would have happen if George Washington at the start of the American Revolution had said, no it looks too dangerous, lets not risk it. Or Abraham Lincoln at the Civil War......

Life is not without risk, but we cant stay hidden forever especially if that means to cease our social, religious, cultural, sporting events, or any level of person to person real contact, might as well pull the blanket over our heads and quietly expire in our beds.

Well went to see what's open and found out the restaurants are open for dine in. We went to eat at Chili's and checked and sure enough you were allowed to go inside and sit. Half the tables were marked out, and the greeter and server had masks and the number of menus was limited to 2 so they wouldn't have to constantly have the greeter cleaning instead of taking care of the customers. We ordered and the normal chips and salsa and soda came right away, but I noticed the food took a little longer than usual, so they may have some changes in the kitchen that might have slowed it down. Hey, that's fine with me, they answered all the questions we had on the 'new normal' for them and there was no limit on how long it took to eat as I saw the media saying. So you have to go and see what each of the restaurant's have for there procedure's, but we had our first enjoyable dine in experience with friends in the new normal.

Ok, lets break it down by state/county, and we can look at Florida with everybody out except for a few counties. It has been going down in the state...

So lets look at the county with Disney were all the tourist go and they have 35 deaths, and 1446 cases in Orange County...

And they are seeing the new cases going down.....

So I would say they will be looking to open the Magic Kingdom.. and did a search and looks like they are thinking the same way...https://www.clickorlando.com/theme-parks/2020/05/05/coronavirus-disney-shares-plans-to-reopen-parks-with-new-safety-measures/

So gonna stand on the soapbox a little...
What would have happen if George Washington at the start of the American Revolution had said, no it looks too dangerous, lets not risk it. Or Abraham Lincoln at the Civil War......

Life is not without risk, but we cant stay hidden forever especially if that means to cease our social, religious, cultural, sporting events, or any level of person to person real contact, might as well pull the blanket over our heads and quietly expire in our beds.

I do not disagree with you. I think authorities are just trying to avoid another 1918 influenza pandemic that infected almost 1/3rd of the world's population and killed 675,000 is the US.

To be honest with you, at this point, I don't even remember how we got here. One day all was normal, and the next minute we were sent home. That was, for me, 52 days ago. I am grateful that this has not really impacted my family much. Yes, the wife and I have been working from home for way too long, but I've gotten use to getting up an hour later and not having worn pants in almost two months. Today I took my jeep in for service. It was the longest drive I have been on in 52 days and it was only 5 miles.

What I do know is that, at this point, we need to make sure we make the right calls and avoid a second run at this. After all of this, we should not be issuing 7,000 face covering warnings in one weekend and in one park. What ever happens, I know that Miami-Dade will be the last at the party. Might as well just suck that up and order take-out.
Well went to see what's open and found out the restaurants are open for dine in. We went to eat at Chili's and checked and sure enough you were allowed to go inside and sit. Half the tables were marked out, and the greeter and server had masks and the number of menus was limited to 2 so they wouldn't have to constantly have the greeter cleaning instead of taking care of the customers. We ordered and the normal chips and salsa and soda came right away, but I noticed the food took a little longer than usual, so they may have some changes in the kitchen that might have slowed it down. Hey, that's fine with me, they answered all the questions we had on the 'new normal' for them and there was no limit on how long it took to eat as I saw the media saying. So you have to go and see what each of the restaurant's have for there procedure's, but we had our first enjoyable dine in experience with friends in the new normal.

Well, our mayor just extended the State of Emergency for another seven days, so no dine-in experience for me.

Rtm3039

Back