How Do You Study or Teach The Bible?

Thanks for the info.... I'll check them out.

Currently, I have a free download of a book from the internet archive that I refer to... It's titled Manners and Customs of Bible Lands, by Fred H. Wight. (Not Wright).
It's good reading :)

I was sharing with my church family the importance of reading the Word daily. I also asked how do they apply what they read.

At first some were intimidated because they began to compare their study with another who had been studying for years.
Nice to know you have a family, bad to know that it was a really struggle to understand the bible at first, i have always understood scripture, but over time i learn things upon old verses i read. Interpretation is greater as time and spirituality go by.

I'm trying to figure out a way to introduce those interested in the Bible at school to be reading it.

I mean graphic Bibles are great, but as the entire bible is so wieldy I wish there was a publisher who takes the individual stories or parables and makes them into child and reader friendly illustrated books.

Kind of like the Ladybird fairytale books that each come in a different colour and are hardback and the right size and font for a reading in one sitting.
The illustrations can't be too babyish or old fashioned.

I would buy the entire set if such a thing existed, but I look in the christian bookstores and it's a bit disappointing to see the offerings for readers at this level. It's either too babyish or too advanced, or in fonts so tiny you need to strain, or they are flimsy stapled affairs.

I've been studying the Bible for years and have had several approaches. My primary approach today is through questions. Such as what is faith?, Faith in what? etc. Then I go through the scriptures on the topic. In this case Hebrews 11:1 is a good starting point. I read the context surrounding each scripture and look at the original language. There great apps these days for gathering all the scriptures on a topic or examining scriptures that use a particular Hebrew, Chaldean or Greek word.

I keep a study journal, now on my computer, making notes of any new questions that should be considered, points to ponder and important lessons I've learned in my study and readings. The study notes I find useful at times to review.

Interesting Thread question.

"How to teach the bible".

Here is a Thread on it.

I love God`s word and have been studying it for many years. Now that I am older and have a few disciples (& they now have disciples) I have written many booklets to aid in discussing God`s word.

At present I am posting my notes on the book of Revelation in the `Study` area. I have taken the outline from Charles J. Rolls, (teacher from last century). It presents the Lord in 4 visions as He is known in the Heavenly realms. I always like to focus any topic I do on the Lord Jesus Christ, His Character and His Purposes.

I had a look in my christian bookshop and now they have separate books of the Bible you can buy. I'm like finally! So if I wanted just the Book of Job or the Book of Genesis I could just have a copy of that.

good teachers are needed .i use to love to teach. but after called into the ministry .i prefer to preach . when i got saved i had a wonderful s.s teacher my first grade teacher. she caused us to study and dig . to be a good teacher it takes lots of study lots prayer and lots of meditating. book are ok but the more you teach the better you get and you will grow in the lord. look up as much information as you can. make sure your material lines up with the word

I found a couple of books for young children that are easy to read and inspiring called

30 stories for girls with big dreams for God
also 30 stories for boys with big dreams for God.

about christian men and women that made a difference. I think they are quite good and they also have prayers at the end of each profile. Caveat - has an American bias and the one for boys actually lists Ronald Reagan as an inspiring Christian...but I would have thought other US presidents would have been more obvious. It had never crossed my mind that Reagan was a christian, unlike say, Jimmy Carter or George Bush

They are published by Dayspring and area attractive, illustrated hard cover books.

Dear brothers and sisters;

I was sharing with my church family the importance of reading the Word daily. I also asked how do they apply what they read.

At first some were intimidated because they began to compare their study with another who had been studying for years.

I shared that when I first started reading the Bible I didn't know the difference between Genesis and Revelation, or that the Psalms was in the middle of the book, and got confused over the names of the books of Chronicles and Corinthians.

I wanted to ask if we all can join in this topic and what you share may encourage another in our academic discipline.

Romans 15:4, For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

God bless you all and your families.
I was called as a bible teacher back in '74 or so immediately after being "Baptized in the Holy Spirit" (To use AG Vernacular) in the late '60s and '70s in central Ohio. There was a great hunger for the Bible among folks from liberal Protestant churches and Catholics, so what was needed was basic instruction dealing with subjects like Salvation, SIN, Creation, the LAW, and general biblical history. we didn't use any sort of "Printed curriculum", but we went bi-weekly in homes where the folks would gather. We met on Thursdays, and on Wednesday, the Holy Spirit would let me know what HE wanted to be taught, and the next night, He'd guide me through it, and provide the answers to the questions/discussions that would ensue. The same went for other meetings with Catholic groups, and I found it easy to simply follow HIS lead in teaching sessions that could go 2+ hours. I had my OWN "AGENDA" (to get 'em oriented in the full gospel direction), but God never let me go there, and kept the meetings focused on Biblical basics. And finally I wound up teaching Adult classes in (of all things) the United CHurch of Christ denomination. and I followed the same methods there. The Ho.y SPirit would give me a list of Scriptures, and we'd go through 'em.

After the Charismatic outpouring ended 9in the late '70s, I re-integrated with the AG, but didn't get into teaching, because They already had their own agenda, and I didn't want to be divisive.

When I did Bible in schools we would follow a set manual and curriculum but sometimes that didn't really work with some of the classes and it was easier to rely on the Holy Spirit to lead. All the teachers prayed together before hand. The children didn't get any books or anything in class but sometimes colouring sheets were printed off for them.
At the end of the school year everyone did get a NT.

We could only teach for 45 minute sessions. Sometimes the class teacher was present, but sometimes not. There was always prayer, a memory verse, a song, a story, an activity or play, and then a game. For many children it was the highlight of the week. In some schools not all the children in the classes attended, (they could opt out) but others, we had to teach in a hall/staff room with lots of classes all together. It's different teaching different age groups because their levels of understanding changes when they mature.

I think some people look down on teaching children as not really teaching but children are such sponges and often a lot more receptive than adults. They are so hungry for learning. Also, it's a lot more fun!

I think some people look down on teaching children as not really teaching but children are such sponges and often a lot more receptive than adults. They are so hungry for learning. Also, it's a lot more fun!
the more you teach a child the more the chance of them being saved. plus it will stick with them sponges is correct

Not too sure that God works on a 'chance' system.
there has be a seed planted watered eyes of understanding opened . i hold to freewill imo the more children know the more likely saved . when i say chance its not like rolling dice for salvation . one thing for sure you cant invest just enough word in a child

"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." (Romans 10:17)

One of the most helpful resources I have found in recent years, is an Audio Bible: The Bible originally didn't have chapters and verses. There is nothing wrong with using them as a reference but it is all too easy to miss part of a the message, by arbitrarily starting/stopping at a 'marker' that was added to the text later.

Playing an audio bible (while resting, working around the house, or driving) can be a great way to listen to the story 'naturally'. It really helps with memorization too.

Even better: Play the audio AND read along at the same time....

There are some Bible apps that include audio (free). There are websites that include free audio Bibles (https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/audio/) They are also available for download from Audible, etc. Or https://christianaudio.com/

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." (Romans 10:17)

One of the most helpful resources I have found in recent years, is an Audio Bible: The Bible originally didn't have chapters and verses.
Revelation 1:3 KJVS
[3] Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

I believe many back then many could not read so had to resort to hearing the word. Either way a blessing was promised.

Revelation 1:3 KJVS
[3] Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

I believe many back then many could not read so had to resort to hearing the word. Either way a blessing was promised.
Not discounting the value of reading, at all. :)

I spend a lot of time on the road. Gets a bit tricky trying to balance my Family Heirloom KJV Bible on the steering wheel while driving... ;)

Back