How Is Your Cfs Experience?

I am a bit confused about what your costs are and are they really just hosting costs? I know you can get a DigitalOcean VPS for about $5/month if its just the hosting.

Unless you are running something I don't know about (which is possible) I don't understand the financial burden.

We used to be hosted on cheaper hosting, but because of the amount of traffic we get here, the site was almost always bogged down. The cheaper hosting programs tend to be designed for the hobbyist, and the site limped along for the first few years on them. Even though we are COMPLETELY non-profit here, Jeff looks at this as a genuine mission and has put quite a bit of his own money into the site. I've seen the bills. Believe me, they are legitimate. Nobody here is actually paid, no matter how much time we put into it. In fact, I would refuse to be paid, and I'm fairly sure so would the rest of the moderators.

i received a message awhile back on my profile page. the member said i had entered comments on a wrong thread. i did not know some threads were reserved. i am not yet well acquainted with the dogma of christian forums. is there a mark or alert i can check for, to see if a thread is reserved for specific members? i thought public forums were open for random participation and truly did not mean to offend. the member who sent me this message was nice in the way he spoke of this issue.

I don't really know the circumstances here, but it is an open forum. While we try very hard to keep topics on track when we can, unless a moderator steps in and requests that you keep to the topic, you are free to post wherever makes the most sense.

i received a message awhile back on my profile page. the member said i had entered comments on a wrong thread. i did not know some threads were reserved. i am not yet well acquainted with the dogma of christian forums. is there a mark or alert i can check for, to see if a thread is reserved for specific members? i thought public forums were open for random participation and truly did not mean to offend. the member who sent me this message was nice in the way he spoke of this issue.

are you referring to this in your profile: ?

"Jesus Freak Thanks for saying the nice things in the is it wrong thread. I really appreciate that. I am going to offer advice to those who ask for it."

I think he referring to this, the title of the thread is " Is it Wrong" : )

http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/is-it-wrong.36477/

i've tried several christian forums. this site stands out because it's not so 'clannish' as many others are prone to be. i'm not gonna take on any extra baggage by hanging around a site where i am ignored.

love to write. it's my preferred medium of communication. with verbal communication, can't hit the 'edit' or 'delete' button when having a 'foot in mouth' moment.

appreciate the boundaries you guys have set for this site in christian deportment. 'tis a safe place to share. good to learn the ground rules for participating in public forums. also good when there's provided the space and grace to do so.

thanx for allowing me into this sweet enclave.......:)

Ditto!

Yes cyberlink you can go to the top of the page and click "watch thread" and you can track from there :)

I enjoy my time here very much. There seems to be a lot of hostility between certain individuals, but everything else here is great!

I;m glad you like it here :D As for hostility, the staff here work very hard and pray hard to help keep CFS peaceful. It is by God's grace CFS is what it is:cool:;)

Hmmm! Why does my previous post in this thread need a moderator's approval?
It is part of the CFS system to preview a lot of the posts before they get publicized. We have had problems in the past where any post is allowed and it got to be cluster buck. Lol. It is for the common courtesy and peaceful atmosphere that we try to present to you and others through the Grace of God.
Peace.

It is part of the CFS system to preview a lot of the posts before they get publicized. We have had problems in the past where any post is allowed and it got to be cluster buck. Lol. It is for the common courtesy and peaceful atmosphere that we try to present to you and others through the Grace of God.
Peace.

Oh, cool---is this a random thing?

are you referring to this in your profile: ?

"Jesus Freak Thanks for saying the nice things in the is it wrong thread. I really appreciate that. I am going to offer advice to those who ask for it."

I think he referring to this, the title of the thread is " Is it Wrong" : )

[URL='http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/is-it-wrong.36477/[/QUOTE']http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/is-it-wrong.36477/[/URL]

yes, that's the message i received.

i didn't remember there being a title, "it is wrong" in the threads.
the wording appeared awkward in the message because the title was not identified with quotation marks.
i thought he was basically saying, "nice comments, wrong location."

sorry 'bout the drama Jesus Freak and i appreciate your encouragement. :)

donno if this is right location to ask this question.
on my profile page, there is a notation that i have 26 messages.
but, there is not a way to check these messages.
what is meant by 'messages'?
are they responses i've received in threads?
just askin' :)

We used to be hosted on cheaper hosting, but because of the amount of traffic we get here, the site was almost always bogged down. The cheaper hosting programs tend to be designed for the hobbyist, and the site limped along for the first few years on them. Even though we are COMPLETELY non-profit here, Jeff looks at this as a genuine mission and has put quite a bit of his own money into the site. I've seen the bills. Believe me, they are legitimate. Nobody here is actually paid, no matter how much time we put into it. In fact, I would refuse to be paid, and I'm fairly sure so would the rest of the moderators.
This isn't meant to be accusatory but just genuine curiosity. If this website is non-profit, what do you guys do if you make more money than you need to maintain the site?

This isn't meant to be accusatory but just genuine curiosity. If this website is non-profit, what do you guys do if you make more money than you need to maintain the site?

I honestly don't know because it has never happened. Jeff really does cover the majority of the costs himself and has for a very long time. I guess the question would be for Jeff. I'm just a volunteer.

I honestly don't know because it has never happened. Jeff really does cover the majority of the costs himself and has for a very long time. I guess the question would be for Jeff. I'm just a volunteer.
All good, i'm sure jeff will read this, right? Hey Jeff, reply! XD

Ok, I googled around on this and the reason why people "outgrow" the more affordable VPS offerings seems to be because of the size of the database. The size of the database grows as more and more posts get stored in the database. That's why some forums have old thread pruning policies. How many threads over a couple of years old do you think people actually look at and read again? I suspect its very small. Therefore archiving very old threads may be a plan.

I don't think this site gets too much traffic to be problematic if the number of new posts per day is any indication. However I notice nginx is preferred over Apache and Postgres over Mysql for heavy traffic loaidng. Also gzip compression on page loading.
Sometimes its better to do a bit of performance tuning before running off to sign up for an expensive hosting plan.

Back