How should praying feel?

Prayer is communion with the Good, and takes many forms, receptivity and honesty are both requisite.
However, if you expect it to be like having a verbal conversation then I understand how it may feel insincere.

Greetings:
Directly linked to the amount of others near me praying.Big rallies will always rally my optimism to
over run my natural pessimism,too bad,B, Graham isn't doing the circuits anymore.
bye

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. The flesh does not like spiritual things as it can not contact this realm. The re birthed human spirit yearns for this kind of contact, and communications. Do you remember the time you first received Christ as your savior? That feeling you had, had nothing to do with the flesh, but your spirit. Every time I think about the Lord my heart rejoices just like the first time I met the Lord. This feeling never goes away as long as you keep your heart set on the things above where Christ sits on the right hand of God. It is eternal as scripture tells us he will keep us in perfect peace whose heart set on him.

Isa 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

How does praying feel like for you? Whenever I pray, I feel that it is insincere.

You do not pray to your feelings .

Prayer can be very painful .Like giving birth.
I don't think Jesus in the garden felt great while he prayed . But im sure he was satisfied at the end of his travail for the certainty of an answered prayer .
If your prayers feel insincere . Make sure that they are not or that you are not going through the 'motions' and ritual of prayer.

Take time to enter the presence of God as you would as entering the tabernacle made with hands .

Don't rush in like children and rush out again . or knock on the door and run away .

The tabernacle has many lessons in it.

The outer court is the body.
The Holy place is the mind.
and the Holy of holies is the heart .
each in its turn has to be in its right attitude and place.
Prayer is not primarily an intellectual matter .Though the mind is not 'dead' or not used .
But every thought be brought into subjection to the mind of Christ .
Before you went into the Holy place and presence of God you had first to wash your hands (work) and feet(walk) put off day to day cloths and put on priestly rainment .
We are called to put off the old man and put on Christ .
THEN we may enter .
and let us not be surprised that when we do the devil will not accuse us .

"But we come to the blood that speaks better things than the blood of Abels"
We have then in the presence of God one who speaks far better than we and on our behalf.
Not of condemnation judgment as of Abels .
But of redemption and acceptance and Sonship as of the lords blood.
On THAT basis and that alone we can then come boldly into the presence of God.
and dismiss any other claim of our own .

in Christ
gerald

With what "senses" are we to experience these things? Surely, it is not of the "flesh". How can we taste, see, hear, feel, and lay hold upon eternal life?
If this was not true than why say them? This is for us today, not someday. As the Apostle Paul tells us in the book of Hebrews.

Heb 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
Heb 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Exercising our "spiritual senses" is a must in becoming a mature Christian, and receiving strong meat of God's Word!!!

Psa 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Heb 2:8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

With what "senses" are we to experience these things? Surely, it is not of the "flesh". How can we taste, see, hear, feel, and lay hold upon eternal life?
If this was not true than why say them? This is for us today, not someday. As the Apostle Paul tells us in the book of Hebrews.

Heb 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Heb 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
Heb 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Exercising our "spiritual senses" is a must in becoming a mature Christian, and receiving strong meat of God's Word!!!

Psa 34:8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Heb 2:8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
When I pray, it feels like I am thinking, or just talking out loud, but not to God. I know that he can and does hear me, because he responded many times, but I feel so frustrated.

You do not pray to your feelings .

Prayer can be very painful .Like giving birth.
I don't think Jesus in the garden felt great while he prayed . But im sure he was satisfied at the end of his travail for the certainty of an answered prayer .
If your prayers feel insincere . Make sure that they are not or that you are not going through the 'motions' and ritual of prayer.

Take time to enter the presence of God as you would as entering the tabernacle made with hands .

Don't rush in like children and rush out again . or knock on the door and run away .

The tabernacle has many lessons in it.

The outer court is the body.
The Holy place is the mind.
and the Holy of holies is the heart .
each in its turn has to be in its right attitude and place.
Prayer is not primarily an intellectual matter .Though the mind is not 'dead' or not used .
But every thought be brought into subjection to the mind of Christ .
Before you went into the Holy place and presence of God you had first to wash your hands (work) and feet(walk) put off day to day cloths and put on priestly rainment .
We are called to put off the old man and put on Christ .
THEN we may enter .
and let us not be surprised that when we do the devil will not accuse us .

"But we come to the blood that speaks better things than the blood of Abels"
We have then in the presence of God one who speaks far better than we and on our behalf.
Not of condemnation judgment as of Abels .
But of redemption and acceptance and Sonship as of the lords blood.
On THAT basis and that alone we can then come boldly into the presence of God.
and dismiss any other claim of our own .

in Christ
gerald
I think that one of the reasons why it feels so insincere is because I always pray at specific times, like in the morning when I wake up, before I eat, right before and after I read the Bible each day, and before I go to sleep.

How does praying feel like for you? Whenever I pray, I feel that it is insincere.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Praying feels like Love, waves of Love going through me. I can't really explain it but it is very real and intense.

Practice makes perfect: the more you pray, the better it gets.

When I pray, it feels like I am thinking, or just talking out loud, but not to God. I know that he can and does hear me, because he responded many times, but I feel so frustrated.

Juk, The human mind is a enemy of God because it is not subject to the laws of God. The mind of the Spirit or the mind of Christ has nothing to do with man's physical brain. To be spiritually minded resides in you heart, not head, and this is where we communicate with the Lord.
Knowing this is one of the keys to fellowship in the Spirit. Knowing that you have "senses" that are not apart of the fleshly human body should help you to understand that it is with our spirit we have communion with God who is a Spirit. Quieting the human mind and letting your heart guide you in your fellowship time with the Lord is something that takes time and practice to do. This is why it says we are to "exercise" our "senses" discerning both good and evil. The human mind is only a tool so that we can operated in this physical world. Our mind should only believe what we tell it to believe, and never letting our mind tell us what is truth. We can believe a lie if we tell our self to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juk
I'm not sure what you mean.

Praying feels like Love, waves of Love going through me. I can't really explain it but it is very real and intense.

Practice makes perfect: the more you pray, the better it gets.
Just you saying that makes me feel more frustrated. My prayers feel so uniformed. I always pray at specific times of day, and it is getting old to me. Also, whenever I do pray, it feels like I am just thinking, or talking out loud. I try to make my prayers short and sweet, getting to the point, because Jesus says in the Bible not to have long prayers.

Just you saying that makes me feel more frustrated. [...]

Just keep praying, no matter what. I guess everyone is different but, believe me, no prayer is ever wasted.

Like I said, practice makes perfect. Do it slowly, take your time and reflect on every word you say.

In my case, I find that praying in church is much more intense. And because I'm a Catholic, I pray the Rosary everyday with many brothers and sisters: it's wonderful!

Just keep praying, no matter what. I guess everyone is different but, believe me, no prayer is ever wasted.

Like I said, practice makes perfect. Do it slowly, take your time and reflect on every word you say.

In my case, I find that praying in church is much more intense. And because I'm a Catholic, I pray the Rosary everyday with many brothers and sisters: it's wonderful!
I will keep praying.

You have to feel like you are getting through to Him or you are very likely not getting through to Him.

Before you pray, spend a session of self judgment on your knees. Ask yourself if you love God. Make sure you love God. Remember loving God is not loving others. Loving others is the second commandment. Loving God is not reading your bible or going to church. Those are by products of loving God.

Loving God is when we are able to say ''your will be done / deny yourself'' Matt 16:24 and when we hate what He hates Rom 12:9 / obey His commandments.

God must not be an addition to your need. When we examine ourselves truthfully, pray honestly and with no doubt, we get through to God. No doubt is very easy for a Christian. Confidence in God's existence must be like that in gravity. Confidence in God being good / faith in Jesus being Lord can only come from the Holy Spirit 1 Cor 12:3 / ie being a true Christian.

God hears the prayers of His sheep John 9:31. We have to make sure that we are 'His sheep'.

I will keep praying.

Juk, I prefer to think of prayer as not starting at any particulate time, and then stopping after so many minutes, but starting and never stopping.
As it tells us in scripture.

Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

You can have your heart set on the things above were Christ sits on the right hand of God. If you do this you will always be in constant form of prayer at all times. The Lord will guide you in all that you say and do when he has your attention set on Him.

Back