How to evangelize..John Chau's story

The link above (Has been removed by staff according to rule 7.1...
If anyone would like to read his story, the staff suggests to google his name and proceed with caution against anyone's asking for donations or personal information)
leads to John Chaus story about he as a Christian missionary was killed by a remote and isolated group called The sentilese people.

He was only 26 and it's sad that he lost his life....but as I was reading there was a conservative Christian commenter saying something along the lines(I'm paraphrasing) that it basically wasn't worth it. However Chau thought it was.

I have 2 issues. I dont completely agree with the conservative Christian... As Christian's we should be willing to give our lives for God as he did for us and it's our job to reach and spread the gospel to everyone.... So I don't agree with him on that..

However, I wonder when exactly did Chau did... If it was directly on contact.... Then I just wonder how effect was his evangelism if he couldn't much in edge wise you know?

1) Do you think Chau should have took a different approach?

2) Do agree or disagree with the conservative Christian and why?

3) How do you think missionaries should go about evangelizing when it comes to hostile isolated groups of people-- any tips?

#Also maybe it's just me but I think it's interesting his name is John. When I read him saying my name is John.. I just thought of John the Baptist. It's interesting how he was also used to proclaim God's message to blind people as well. I hope I'm not the only one that made that correlation...

**** Thank You for your feedback and response.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone would like to read his story, the staff suggests to google his name and proceed with caution against anyone's asking for donations or personal information)
leads to John Chaus story about he as a Christian missionary was killed by a remote and isolated group called The sentilese people.

He was only 26 and it's sad that he lost his life....but as I was reading there was a conservative Christian commenter saying something along the lines(I'm paraphrasing) that it basically wasn't worth it. However Chau thought it was.

I have 2 issues. I dont completely agree with the conservative Christian... As Christian's we should be willing to give our lives for God as he did for us and it's our job to reach and spread the gospel to everyone.... So I don't agree with him on that..

However, I wonder when exactly did Chau did... If it was directly on contact.... Then I just wonder how effect was his evangelism if he couldn't much in edge wise you know?

3) How do you think missionaries should go about evangelizing when it comes to hostile isolated groups of people-- any tips?

#Also maybe it's just me but I think it's interesting his name is John. When I read him saying my name is John.. I just thought of John the Baptist. It's interesting how he was also used to proclaim God's message to blind people as well. I hope I'm not the only one that made that correlation...

I think a couple of things to realize is that this gentleman disobeyed known laws to go there as well as he didn't speak the language. If he really had a heart for these people he would have spent more time in prayer.

Everyone can say that he's great because he sacrificed his life... But he went about it the wrong way... Disobedience and disrespect. Those are not of God. So from reading parts of the story he was not sent by God... he just went.

One cannot expect people to be ministered to if the first thing done is to offend the person/people whom they are trying to reach.

Blessings

I think a couple of things to realize is that this gentleman disobeyed known laws to go there as well as he didn't speak the language. If he really had a heart for these people he would have spent more time in prayer.

Everyone can say that he's great because he sacrificed his life... But he went about it the wrong way... Disobedience and disrespect. Those are not of God. So from reading parts of the story he was not sent by God... he just went.

One cannot expect people to be ministered to if the first thing done is to offend the person/people whom they are trying to reach.

Blessings
But how would they ever hear about God if no one goes to them? Also I think God's message by itself offends many people because it convicts people of sin... I agree he shouldn't have broken laws but if they're law is just having no contact at all... Then...how would they ever know God?

But how would they ever hear about God if no one goes to them? Also I think God's message by itself offends many people because it convicts people of sin... I agree he shouldn't have broken laws but if they're law is just having no contact at all... Then...how would they ever know God?

Thats where prayer and intercession for a specific group or people/person comes in.

God can speak to their hearts and give them a desire to send for someone they can trust, or He can at the right time open the doors for someone to go. But its when we make the choice to get out on our own... That disobedience can get you killed.

We must be cautious of the attitude we carry. If we get in an attitude that says I'm doing it my way.. it won't be honored by God. And then He cannot protect us from the door we opened to the enemy to come in and work in our lives. Sin opens that door and a rebellious attitude is sin.

Because When God sends them, they have a door.
Because when God sends you then He will protect and provide.

There is a huge difference here.

This mans story was mentioned last sunday in a sermon.
If God called him, and he obeyed, then we cant say it was not Gods purpose and that he was sinning. I know many people who obeyed Gods call and were matryed. That is the risk we all take.
His story reminded me of Jim Elliot and three other missionaries going to the Auca people, they were all killed too. BUT God had a purpose and a plan. Although their wives couldnt see it straightaway. Later all the aucas converted, isnt that amazing. Because our deaths are not the end. They are only the beginning, if we truly believe, then we know it!

1) John loved these people. He proclaimed the gospel. Thats all he needed to do, His word doesnt return back empty. Some of us do in different ways and reach out in different ways, but these people need to hear. With his death, now we know these people, more can pray, and more can go and reach out.

2) all people neeed to hear the Good news. What they do with it is up to them but God thinks they are worth it. In my country, missionaries were killed and eaten! The maoris used to be cannibals. Now, no cannibalism and many were transformed by the gospel. In China..the christian church is growing by leaps and bounds. Gladys aywarld went all the way from England BY HERSELF to reach the chinese. She was nearly eaten by wolves! Nobody else from england would go, but she went. When she reached China, the missionary waiting for her did not live too long after. but Someone has to start. She went into prisons and talked to the prisoners about Jesus. She stopped a riot. She saved orphans. She did what ordinary any of us would do had we stayed home, which was CARE. She didnt even know the language at first!

3) john didnt set out offend people. We dont know all the circumstances, but people that are hostile arent hostile because people are christians. Its just anyone outside of their own group could be shot. For example, just by being me can I offend people? Or is the person taking offence thats got the issue. i think its the person taking offence. What do we do with that, we just keep on loving. They can kill us, but that doesnt mean a thing. How did David wilkerson reach out to Nicky Cruz, head of a gang in NYC? He said you could cut me into a million pieces (he had a knife) but each piece would still cry out 'i love you'

And this is what John did. Amazing.

When evangelizing, its best to go out in pairs two by two, other than that just do what God shows you to do. We are not to love our own lives more than anything because Jesus gave his life for us. So we give our lives for others. And if that means some of us may be killed, thats what it takes. John 12:25

This is why almost all the apostles were matyred. They died reaching out to others. The first chrstians were matyrs..stephen was stoned. It was very hostile at first. The jewish people persecuted the new believers. But with stephens death, God called Paul.

Because When God sends them, they have a door.
Because when God sends you then He will protect and provide.

There is a huge difference here.
Not always. Alot of jesus' disciples died ( Peter was crucified upside down and Paul died as well-- also God did protect Paul up until his death thats the key point ) I think its something one has to acccept when it comes to being a follower of God. Sometimes you have to be willing to lay down your life as his apostles did. It just depends on gods will and call for your life..not everyone is called to do this.

Please do not compare the Disciples and their life to this guy.
They were called and did not die until they had finished their call.

God would not have sent him in the manner he went nor does his death benefit anything. Now he will never finish the work God called him to do.
Now others have to do his share as well.

This being a martyr is something people have tried to romantisize. It does not bring you Merritt or a special place.

If God sends you then something comes of it but if you just go off on your own then tragedy is what you find.

When evangelizing, its best to go out in pairs two by two, other than that just do what God shows you to do. We are not to love our own lives more than anything because Jesus gave his life for us. So we give our lives for others. And if that means some of us may be killed, thats what it takes. John 12:25

This is why almost all the apostles were matyred. They died reaching out to others. The first chrstians were matyrs..stephen was stoned. It was very hostile at first. The jewish people persecuted the new believers. But with stephens death, God called Paul.
This is true, christianity isnt all fluff and hw much God loves us...theres hard topics and issues like this that come tied into it that most avoid.

Not always. Alot of jesus' disciples died ( Peter was crucified upside down and Paul died as well-- also God did protect Paul up until his death thats the key point ) I think its something one has to acccept when it comes to being a follower of God. Sometimes you have to be willing to lay down your life as his apostles did. It just depends on gods will and call for your life..not everyone is called to do this.
Yes and they fulfilled their purpose first. They finished their race.
Please don't confuse Gods plan with bad choices.

Please do not compare the Disciples and their life to this guy.
They were called and did not die until they had finished their call.

God would not have sent him in the manner he went nor does his death benefit anything. Now he will never finish the work God called him to do.
Now others have to do his share as well.

This being a martyr is something people have tried to romantisize. It does not bring you Merritt or a special place.

If God sends you then something comes of it but if you just go off on your own then tragedy is what you find.

No one is romaticizing being a martyr no one would ever dream of being one but its a fact anyone could die for being a beliver missionaries today face that and have faced that.

No one is romaticizing being a martyr no one would ever dream of being one but its a fact anyone could die for being a beliver missionaries today face that and have faced that.

There are a lot of people who think being a martyer is a plus in the kingdom. They think that its a special place in Gods eyes. They take the Scriptures from Paul saying for me to live is Christ and to die is gain. Or the ones in Revelation to justify it.

You may not be romanticising being a martyer... But in many ways a lot of people do. And sometimes it has nothing to do with being a missionary.

What do you think of modern missionaries today?
Those that are truly called by God I have the utter most respect for and support them any way God Provides.

Know of many in which are called and trained by God and have seen God open doors that no one thought could be opened and they get results. Amazing Results where Gods Glory shines.

On the flip side one could build a memorial wall as big as any with the names of people who made the choice to try and be missionary but did it without God.

One does not choose this but rather God chooses you.

I could tell stories all night long about things God has done with and through those He told to go.

Lol.....There is one missionary from India that went back to India with a story of a brother in Christ taking him walking on water.
He had never seen a frozen body of water and I took him to the lake I guided on.

Just shared that because I remembered it as I was writing.
Blessings

I won't speak for the guy as I don't know how he prayed (which should include listening) or what he was actually led to do or not do, but I do not believe that what he did was a waste (Rom 8:28-30). The man's death could be a tipping point for some of these people when they do hear the gospel.
Knowing that someone willingly faced death for you is a powerful thing to face. Just think of the roman soldier at the foot of the cross.

As to his 'breaking the law', I would question what the actual law of that land is. There are many officials and governments in this world that think they have authority where they do not have it either by written, practiced, enforceable law or by God given authority.

But when God is involved there is Results.
God is always involved.
No matter how badly or how well we do or do not follow His will, He is involved and the results always benefit His people and those who will become His people.
His word makes that very clear.
I do not know what God's plan is for using what has happened and how it works into the ways he has already reached out to that group. I simply know that He has it covered and incorporated.

Back