How To Understand The Scriptures

You will be amazed at how much "Doctrinal Squabbling" is really a result of translational difficulties.... not because of the ACTUAL Hebrew or Greek itself....

One thing I found helps is using multiple translations.....

There are some translations that try to get the Sense of the passage across - but many times, they are NOT verbally accurate.... You may get the Idea accurately - but you loose all the specific detail.....

There are other translations that try to very explicitly capture the direct meaning of every word correctly..... but they don't necessarily put a lot of effort into Readability, poetry, etc.....

For example...

The most LITERAL, Explicit, direct translation available is probably Young's Literal Translation.... It's is just what it says... LITERAL.... They try to capture ALL the correct verb tenses and word meanings.... This one is HARD to read sometimes, because of word order and phrases don't always make sense the way they are written.... which can be rough.... and don't look here for poetic expression.....

On the opposite end of the spectrum is The Message and the Living Bible... where they try to capture the sense and ideas - without being quite so tied down to the actual specificity of the words themselves..... Very readable... Good when you are trying to figure out stuff that's buried in the technicality.....

I have REALLY started liking YLT a LOT - because of the fidelity to the actual words themselves....
I like the NASB as well - because it's pretty good, but a LOT more readable than the YLT or KJV.....
But... Like Abdicate mentioned in another thread - sometimes The Message or the Living Bible is great when there's something confusing and you want it boiled down....

Here's a good example....
Revelation 2:7 - letter to the church of Ephesus.....
I will take one snip.....

KJV: .....To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life.....
NKJV: ... To him that overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life....
NLT: ... To the one who is victorious, I will give fruit from from the tree of life
NIV: ... To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life
HCSB: ... I will give the victor the right to eat from the tree of life
NASB: ... To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life..
YLT: To him who is overcoming -- I will give to him to eat of the tree of life

Subtle - but very different implications... but you can see that doctrines built from one translation fall apart completely using another translation.....

For example... Do you have to completely OVERCOME... or do you only have to be Overcoming? Or... Is Completely Overcome still not good enough - you have to be THE Victor!

Thanks

You will be amazed at how much "Doctrinal Squabbling" is really a result of translational difficulties.... not because of the ACTUAL Hebrew or Greek itself....

One thing I found helps is using multiple translations.....

There are some translations that try to get the Sense of the passage across - but many times, they are NOT verbally accurate.... You may get the Idea accurately - but you loose all the specific detail.....

There are other translations that try to very explicitly capture the direct meaning of every word correctly..... but they don't necessarily put a lot of effort into Readability, poetry, etc.....

For example...

The most LITERAL, Explicit, direct translation available is probably Young's Literal Translation.... It's is just what it says... LITERAL.... They try to capture ALL the correct verb tenses and word meanings.... This one is HARD to read sometimes, because of word order and phrases don't always make sense the way they are written.... which can be rough.... and don't look here for poetic expression.....

On the opposite end of the spectrum is The Message and the Living Bible... where they try to capture the sense and ideas - without being quite so tied down to the actual specificity of the words themselves..... Very readable... Good when you are trying to figure out stuff that's buried in the technicality.....

I have REALLY started liking YLT a LOT - because of the fidelity to the actual words themselves....
I like the NASB as well - because it's pretty good, but a LOT more readable than the YLT or KJV.....
But... Like Abdicate mentioned in another thread - sometimes The Message or the Living Bible is great when there's something confusing and you want it boiled down....

Here's a good example....
Revelation 2:7 - letter to the church of Ephesus.....
I will take one snip.....

KJV: .....To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life.....
NKJV: ... To him that overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life....
NLT: ... To the one who is victorious, I will give fruit from from the tree of life
NIV: ... To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life
HCSB: ... I will give the victor the right to eat from the tree of life
NASB: ... To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life..
YLT: To him who is overcoming -- I will give to him to eat of the tree of life

Subtle - but very different implications... but you can see that doctrines built from one translation fall apart completely using another translation.....

For example... Do you have to completely OVERCOME... or do you only have to be Overcoming? Or... Is Completely Overcome still not good enough - you have to be THE Victor!

Thanks

Wow! Well, we may as well learn the original languages used to write the original scriptures.

For now I'll buy a nkjv. But I'll download the others.

Thank you.

I don't have a plan. I just go through one book at a time. I always meant to take notes, but don't. Bad habit.

I started at Genesis. Now I'm at numbers. But not taking notes is bad. I may have to start over...

IF you had a "wide margin" Bible, it would allow you to write notes and thoughts in it. I still have the Bible I went to college with and it brings me a real sense of peace and comfort when I look at those notes so many years ago. The Bible is completely worn out but I love to read it.

Wow! Well, we may as well learn the original languages used to write the original scriptures.

For now I'll buy a nkjv. But I'll download the others.

Thank you.

I do not have a dog in this hunt Pat, but I would comment that the best thing to do is look up the differences between the different translation on the net. That is the easiest thing to do.

My only thought is that I personally advice you to be very careful with the Living Bible and The Message. They are Paraphrased Bibles, and in my opinion are suspect. Their goal started out good to make the Bible even easier to read in modern language, you should be cautious in working with them, because the authors exercised considerable "poetic license" in interpreting biblical terms and passages according to their own personal religious ideas.

The King James Version and New King James and the ESV as well as the AMP, RSV would be at one end of the spectrum and The Message and Living Bible as well as Good News Translation (also Good News Bible)CEV Contemporary English Version would be all the way at the other end of that spectrum.

Just something to think about!

IF you had a "wide margin" Bible, it would allow you to write notes and thoughts in it. I still have the Bible I went to college with and it brings me a real sense of peace and comfort when I look at those notes so many years ago. The Bible is completely worn out but I love to read it.

Oh, no I don't know. I for one can't handle having my bible messed up with my notes. I make bad notes. lol

I do not have a dog in this hunt Pat, but I would comment that the best thing to do is look up the differences between the different translation on the net. That is the easiest thing to do.

My only thought is that I personally advice you to be very careful with the Living Bible and The Message. They are Paraphrased Bibles, and in my opinion are suspect. Their goal started out good to make the Bible even easier to read in modern language, you should be cautious in working with them, because the authors exercised considerable "poetic license" in interpreting biblical terms and passages according to their own personal religious ideas.

Wow. That's terrible!

Oh, no I don't know. I for one can't handle having my bible messed up with my notes. I make bad notes. lol

Trust me! At your age, to begin now to make notes and underline certain things that speak to you will be a real blessing to you when you are my age.

You see, back in those days there were no "study" Bibles that had notes and explanations and commentaries at the bottom of the pages.

I am looking right here at my 1st Bible at Genesis 4 where Cain was run out of the Garden and he went to the land of Nod..."And there he knew his wife".

My note to ME was....."Where in the world did she come from"?----SISTER!

Hi everyone. So, I want to study and understand the bible. What are some tips that will help me get the right interpretation?
There're so many disagreement over what scripture says, how does one find the truth?

Thanks.
One of the most helpful things I've learned as of late is to know who the book was written too. For example, the gospels all have a different intended audience. Paul's letters are to specific churches and people. To better understand the letter, understand the audience. The city of Corinth can be compared to a modern day Las Vegas.

One of the most helpful things I've learned as of late is to know who the book was written too. For example, the gospels all have a different intended audience. Paul's letters are to specific churches and people. To better understand the letter, understand the audience. The city of Corinth can be compared to a modern day Las Vegas.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Where did you get that info? But helpful advice.

I primarily use the Chronological Life Application Study Bible NLT as my hard copy. I read many translations on my phone as I study.

You are so right my brother! Another example would be the book of Hebrews.

ask the holy spirit, and luckily for you..you hear him very well. so that should be nothing for you...

and when it comes to studying all you need is paper, a bible and a pen(or pencil)

and your set.

its not really complicated :)

Hi everyone. So, I want to study and understand the bible. What are some tips that will help me get the right interpretation?
There're so many disagreement over what scripture says, how does one find the truth?

Thanks.
Years ago I had a cousin who was smarter then me, richer, more handsome, athletic. He went to an assembly of God church and I to a church of Christ. He could study advanced maths and physics, I was dumb. He knew the bible better than me and even I think layed hands on people, BUT after a few years he fell away. All I ever did was read the bible a bit at a time anywhere I felt like reading and pray everyday and attend church every sunday. Ask God for wisdom and he will give it without cost. Walk in love forgiveness and kindness, be generous. Many Christians argue over scripture, disagreements happen paul vs peter, paul vs barnabas, knowledge is not understanding. The rule of law is not the spirit of the law, so scripture that is not interpreted through the eyes of love and the understanding of love is only left as superficial religion, full of nice sounding words and practices but empty.

Thanks.
I love this question. It shows that you're searching!

There are a few ways that you can fully study the Scripture:
1) Read the surrounding text. So many times, I find many Christians take Scriptures out of context. I don't believe it's intentional, but they take on portion of Scripture and base their whole life around it without knowing what it's truly saying. IT's so important to read the surrounding text around that specific scripture to truly know what the author is trying to convey.

2) The concordance is truly your best friend. I tore that thing up while I was in Bible college. Some words in the Bible say one thing, but the definition is totally different. For example, I remember reading in the King James that God TEMPTED Job. Tempted? God doesn't tempt. He tests, but doesn't tempt us to sin. I looked up the word in the concordance, and it means to test. But if I had taken that scripture at face value, it would have totally messed up my theology! :)

3) Get some study tools. E-sword is a great program that I use. It's free on your computer! You can download free dictionaries, commentaries, and concordances, and even different translations.

4) Look for certain words in the Scripture. Sometimes, there's a "but" or a "therefore" in the middle of the scripture. Ask yourself, "WHy is that there?" Take notes. When there's a "but" or even a "therefore," there must be a REASON as to why it's there.

5) Buy a Bible with wide margins. I take notes hardcore. Sometimes I write what God is speaking to me, other times I put in my own thoughts of the Scripture, I sometimes do some outlines. This helps me to not just to study, but to make the Word personal to me and to see what the Lord is trying to say.

But, most importantly, God wants you. He wants you to hide the Word in your heart, but He also wants you. When you study, make sure it's just not a religious thing, but it's because you want to know the God who breathed those words onto those pages. You are doing this because you want to know His heart and who He is.

Enjoy this journey! :)

Thanks everyone. You've all been so helpful. I know what to do now.
Great! Another thing is just ask God before you dig into the Word, "Lord, what do You want to say to me?" For my own devotions, I spend time in worship, sometimes I worship with piano or just listen to worship music, I journal, I pray, etc.

I'm excited for you! Let me know if you need anything :)

Back