How To Understand The Scriptures

Patricia, yours is a fair question. I do not believe there is a "right" answer though there can be any number of wrong ones.
First objective is to read it. Reading it without a context can be terribly difficult, but you need to establish for yourself a foundation. I am no scholar, but I would suggest reading first the Pentateuch, Psalms, Proverbs and the Gospel. This may seem like a lot, but as you go forward, you will begin to see the consistency of God and through this begin to know Him better. Once you have completed this, you may find the next steps come naturally.
I hope you find, if not this, something here to assist you in your growing knowledge and faith.

Hi everyone. So, I want to study and understand the bible. What are some tips that will help me get the right interpretation?
There're so many disagreement over what scripture says, how does one find the truth?

Thanks.

What did david the psalmist say unto us in the book of psalms?
Blessed is the man who walks not in the consil of the ungodly nor stands in the way of the sinners nor sits in the seat of the scornful
for his delight is in the law of the lord and in his law he meditates day and night.

Meditate on the scriptures day and night but i tell you a secret.
It was better for me to listen to the scriptures than to hear it. for faith comes by hearing and hearing of the word of the lord.

therefore if you have a bible app download it on your phone and listen to it all day and all night

What did david the psalmist say unto us in the book of psalms?
Blessed is the man who walks not in the consil of the ungodly nor stands in the way of the sinners nor sits in the seat of the scornful
for his delight is in the law of the lord and in his law he meditates day and night.

Meditate on the scriptures day and night but i tell you a secret.
It was better for me to listen to the scriptures than to hear it. for faith comes by hearing and hearing of the word of the lord.

therefore if you have a bible app download it on your phone and listen to it all day and all night
Welcome :)

If you have not done so as of yet please read CFS forum rules and getting started threads here

http://www.christianforumsite.com/categories/your-welcome-pack.104/
http://www.christianforumsite.com/categories/getting-started-learn-how-to-use-your-account.101/

Again, Welcome to CFS

Hi everyone. So, I want to study and understand the bible. What are some tips that will help me get the right interpretation?
There're so many disagreement over what scripture says, how does one find the truth?

Thanks.

The primary way to understand the scriptures is to "lean not upon your own understanding but trust in the Lord" Who was promised "to lead us into all truth"
Whether in and by your own studies or through the ministry and teaching of a minister of God .

If a man cannot be heard or understood unless he gives his life or breath to the words he speaks .
How much less then can God be heard or understood unless the letter is quickened by the Holy Spirit ?
That there are so many disagreements among Gods people .Can only mean that He has not come?
He has .
He not only has come but shall not only be with you but in you and he shall abide with you forever .
That he no longer leads ?
"He is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to a knowledge of the truth "
No one can arrive at the truth or come to a knowledge of the truth unless he is willing to be led by the good shepherd of our souls who leads us to it .
If then there are great contentions and disagreement then I would suggest that there is and must be too much carnality and people are relying more upon their own understanding than "leaning on the arm of the beloved."
For clearly in Ephesians we are by them called of God to "all come to a unity of THE faith...."
Now if faith comes by hearing and understanding the Word of God" Then to have a unity of the faith there clearly needs must be a unity of understanding.
That is to say as Pauls says " to be of the same mind " think the same thing " all come to the same conclusions or arrive at the truth .
What mind then is this? Yours or mine?
No.
The mind of Christ . "Let this mind be in you as it was in Christ ...."
Who then "knoweth the mind of God" ? If not the Holy Spirit .
If then all scriptures was inspired by Him .Then all scripture needs Him to understand what si written.
For what are words? If not expressions of thought .
if then "HIS thoughts are higher than our thoughts"
How then can we understand anything? as to what he says .Unless the Holy Spirit helps us.
Knowing Greek and Hebrew by some think that will ensure you understand the scriptures.
While it is good if you can.
Those who can should also understand this .
Saul of Tarsus knew Hebrew, It was his mother tounge . Yet did he understand the scriptures?
He so did not understand the scriptures that he persecuted the church and was in agreement with Stephens death and though it was GODS WILL!
What then of the high priest and others who opposed Christ . Did they not understand Hebrew? Did they not have the original texts more than any? Yet they so did not understand the scriptures that they said of Jesus "we KNOW this man is a sinner"! and handed him over to be crucified .
Jesus said of them "ye know the scriptures but know not Him of whom they speak "
When jesus met the two on the road to Emaus he "started at Moses ........" Thus they had no excuse .
Those then who have been able to study Greek and Hebrew ,need all the ore if possible to lean not upon their understanding of them(alone) but lean still all the more upon Him who leads us into all truth .

The primary purpose of scripture is to come to know Him whom to know is life eternal.

Our lives to be transformed by the renewal of our minds .By our meditations on scripture and the quickening of the Holy ghost.

How do we know if we know the truth?
Our faith in God will increase . Our love for God and the people of God and the souls of men will also increase and we will become more zealous and more effective in the work and the kingdom of God .
If we but collect knowledge "forever learning........" and get bogged down in needless and vain debates then something is wrong .
"Little children ye know the father and your sins are forgiven."
"Young men the Word of God dwells in you richly and ye have overcome the wicked one "
What would you prefer ? To be prosperous as the world counts it ? Or be rich in the Word of God and to be able to overcome the wicked one ?
"Ye fathers ye know Him who is from the beginning "

It is my contention that the church does not know God much . and certainly not He who is from the beginning.

In part and a large part at that because many do not know Him who leads us into all truth as much as they think they do .

in Christ
gerald

Thanks.

I grew up reading the KJV. I had a difficult time understanding it. When I was in my early 20's, my pastor recommended the NASB to me. That's about when that translation came out. I purchased it and began reading it. The word of God then began to come alive to me. We also had a missionary stay in our home, around the same time period. She shared a Bible study guide with me at that time that really helped me get started in getting something out of where I was reading so that I could apply it to my life. I think I still have a copy of it. If I find it, I will share it with you. It helped train me in what to look for and how to study the word, but without the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart, it would just be head knowledge. So, the essentials are to pray, asking the Spirit of God to open his word to you, and then to listen to him speak, and then to obey what he teaches you. If it is not applied knowledge, then it does not profit much. Always read in context. Biblehub.com is a great online tool. It has the various translations for comparison and inter linear for checking out the Greek to English translation and word meanings. I would avoid commentaries and devotional books as much as possible and just let the Holy Spirit speak his words to your heart.

Thanks.

Ok, I found the study guide. I have not used this in years, since most of it is ingrained in me now, so I can't verify all the scripture references, but this is a good study guide to follow. One other thing I learned was, in reading a verse, to emphasize different words each time, and it helps you to notice things you might not otherwise notice.

Bible Study Guide

PRAYER

Adoration: Greet the Lord and thank him for a new day; praise God for who he is and worship him. – Heb. 13:15-16; Mtt. 6:33; Jn 4:24; Rom. 12:1-2

Confession: Confess any known sin in your life, put it behind you and ask God to fill you with his Spirit. – Ps. 26:2; I Jn. 1:9; Eph. 5:18 (read in context of 4:17-5:21); Jn 14:15-18,25-26; 16:12-14

Thanksgiving: Thank God for his forgiveness, answers to prayer, life, and daily needs, etc. – Ps. 100; I Thes. 5:16-18

Supplication:

A. Ask God for answers to specific prayer requests – personal, family, friends, areas of responsibility, your “world,” unbelievers and situations for which you need his guidance – Phil. 4:4-7; Mtt. 7:7-8; Jms 4:1-4

B. Ask him to open his Word to you and to give you insight and understanding – II Tim. 3:16; Heb. 4:12; Ps 119:105

BIBLE STUDY

· Read carefully the verses of the day – II Tim. 2:15

· Meditate/reflect on these verses

· Answer who/what/when/where/why/how questions, such as below, that apply:

o What is the main thought of these verses?

o What does God - Father, Son, or Holy Spirit - reveal about himself?

o What insight am I given into myself and into my life situation?

o Is there an example to follow, a warning to heed, or a promise to claim?

o What does Christ require of me now in thought, word, or action?

o What answers has God given me regarding my specific requests?

· Thank God for what he has shown you in his Word – confess sin, repent, obey

· Memorize/Visualize/Actualize

o Work on memorizing specific verses or passages each day – Ps. 119:11

o Visualize how God wants to work in and through your life in those verses

o Actualize – put those verses into action in your life – Jms. 1:22-25

I grew up reading the KJV. I had a difficult time understanding it. When I was in my early 20's, my pastor recommended the NASB to me. That's about when that translation came out. I purchased it and began reading it. The word of God then began to come alive to me. We also had a missionary stay in our home, around the same time period. She shared a Bible study guide with me at that time that really helped me get started in getting something out of where I was reading so that I could apply it to my life. I think I still have a copy of it. If I find it, I will share it with you. It helped train me in what to look for and how to study the word, but without the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart, it would just be head knowledge. So, the essentials are to pray, asking the Spirit of God to open his word to you, and then to listen to him speak, and then to obey what he teaches you. If it is not applied knowledge, then it does not profit much. Always read in context. Biblehub.com is a great online tool. It has the various translations for comparison and inter linear for checking out the Greek to English translation and word meanings. I would avoid commentaries and devotional books as much as possible and just let the Holy Spirit speak his words to your heart.

My answer to the usual objection of the KJV and one of only two that I knowof and have ever heard .is the 'language' problem.
But who has not gone to University and not had problem with the language as it were?
if you study law the mind has to learn the language of law .
if words are expressions of thought then if Gods thoughts are higher than mans thoughts .Surely His Word will be of a higher form of expression as well?
In that case we should not seek to bring His expression down to ours but ours up to his.

In Christ
gerald

My answer to the usual objection of the KJV and one of only two that I knowof and have ever heard .is the 'language' problem.
But who has not gone to University and not had problem with the language as it were?
if you study law the mind has to learn the language of law .
if words are expressions of thought then if Gods thoughts are higher than mans thoughts .Surely His Word will be of a higher form of expression as well?
In that case we should not seek to bring His expression down to ours but ours up to his.

In Christ
gerald

The KJV was not the original language of scripture. The New Testament, from what I understand was written in common Greek of the people, not the high Greek.

The KJV was not the original language of scripture. The New Testament, from what I understand was written in common Greek of the people, not the high Greek.

I never said it was .
I simply said that in English it was of a higher order of expression.
I do not hold to the theory that if y7ou understand Greek and Hebrew you will understand the scriptures as they should be understood .
For the Jews then as now do not and the cross is still a stumbling block .Despite it clearly laid out in the Old testament the way of salvation. and to the Greeks it is foolishness still then as now .
and while it is or can be profitable to learn them both .
It ahs to be in the light and understanding that Saul of Tarsus nor the high priest and his cohorts understood the scriptures .Despite Hebrew being their mother tounge .
What then applies to the Jews as in Hebrew must and does apply to the Gentiles and 'Greek'
To lean not upon your own understanding but trust in the Lord who is promised to lead us into all truth .

in Christ
gerald

Back