Humility !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blessing of Christian family
The LORD hath been mindful of us: he will bless us;
he will bless the house of Israel;
he will bless the house of Aaron. - Psalm 115:12
1. Isaac family - Sweet family
And it came to pass, when he had been there a long time, that Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out at a window, and saw, and, behold, Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife.
- Genesis 26:1-8

2. Manoah family - Spiritual family
And the woman bare a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him.
- Judges 13:24

3. Zechariah family - Saintly family
13But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
14And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
- Luke 1:13-14

The Lord who lifts me up
O LORD; consider my trouble
which I suffer of them that hate me, thou that
liftest me up from the gates of death: - Psalm 9:13
1. Defeat
The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.
- Psalm 145:14

2. Danger
He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters.
- Psalm 18:16

3. Derision
I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.
- Psalm 30:1

Lord Jesus Our True Foundation.

Isaiah 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a
foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure
foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

1. The Tried Foundation.

2. The Precious Foundation.

3. The Sure Foundation.

4. The Living Foundation.

5. The Chosen Foundation.

Romans 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of
offense: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

I Cor 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is
Jesus Christ

I Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion
a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him
shall not be confounded.

2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them
which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the
same is made the head of the corner,

2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense, even to them
which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they
were appointed.

The Good Shepherd

(Letters of John Newton)

"I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep! I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of My hand!" John 10:11, 28

Every part of our salvation, requires the exertion of infinite wisdom and almighty power. Jesus is the Shepherd of all who believe in Him. We depend upon Him--and He gives us the effectual help which we need. He is intimately acquainted with us--and knows every thought and intent of our hearts. He has His eye always upon us. His ear is always open us. His arm is ever stretched out for our relief. We can receive nothing--but what He bestows upon us. We can do nothing--but as He enables us. Nor can we stand a moment--but as He upholds us!

It is amazing to me--that I do not find my heart all on fire with love to Jesus--when I consider--from what misery I am redeemed; to what happiness I am called; and what a price was paid for m soul! Alas! alas! my guilt and grief are that my thoughts of Jesus are so faint, and so infrequent; and that my commendations of Him are so lamentably cold and disproportionate to what they ought to be!

Yet--if the heart is right with God, and sincerely affected with the wonders of redeeming love--our gracious High Priest, who knows our weakness--will pity and pardon what is amiss, and accept our poor efforts!

[SIZE=+1]Feeding Sheep or Amusing Goats?[/SIZE]
by Charles Spurgeon (edited)
An evil is in the 'professed' camp of the Lord, so gross in its impudence, that the most shortsighted Christian can hardly fail to notice it. During the past few years this evil has developed at an alarming rate. It has worked like leaven until the whole lump ferments!
The devil has seldom done a more clever thing, than hinting to the Church that part of their mission is to provide entertainment for the people, with a view to winning them. From speaking out the gospel, the Church has gradually toned down her testimony, then winked at and excused the frivolities of the day. Then she tolerated them in her borders. Now she has adopted them under the plea of reaching the masses!
My first contention is that providing amusement for the people is nowhere spoken of in the Scriptures as a function of the Church. If it is a Christian work why did not Christ speak of it? 'Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature, and provide amusement for those who do not relish the gospel'.
No such words, however, are to be found. It did not seem to occur to Him. Where do entertainers come in? The Holy Spirit is silent concerning them. Were the prophets persecuted because they amused the people, or because they confronted them? The 'concert' has no martyr roll.
Again, providing amusement is in direct antagonism to the teaching and life of Christ and all His apostles. What was the attitude of the apostolic Church to the world? "You are the salt of the world", not the sugar candy; something the world will spit out, not swallow.
Had Jesus introduced more of the bright and pleasant elements into His teaching, He would have been more popular. When "many of His disciples turned back and no longer followed Him," I do not hear Him say, 'Run after these people, Peter, and tell them we will have a different style of service tomorrow; something short and attractive with little preaching. We will have a pleasant evening for the people. Tell them they will be sure to enjoy it! Be quick, Peter, we must get the people somehow!'
No! Jesus pitied sinners, sighed and wept over them, but never sought to amuse them!
In vain will the epistles be searched to find any trace of the 'gospel of amusement'. Their message is, "Therefore, come out from them and separate yourselves from them... Don't touch their filthy things..." Anything approaching amusement is conspicuous by its absence. They had boundless confidence in the gospel and employed no other weapon.
After Peter and John were locked up for preaching, the Church had a prayer meeting, but they did not pray, 'Lord, grant unto your servants that by a wise and discriminating use of innocent recreation we may show these people how happy we are'.
No! They did not cease from preaching Christ. They had no time for arranging entertainments. Scattered by persecution they went everywhere preaching the gospel. They turned the world upside down; that is the only difference from today's church.
Lastly,amusement fails to effect the end desired. Let the heavy laden who found peace through the concert not keep silent! Let the drunkard to whom the dramatic entertainment had been God's link in the chain of their conversion, stand up! There are none to answer! The mission of amusement produces no converts!
The need of the hour for today's ministry is earnest spirituality joined with Biblical doctrine, so understood and felt, that it sets men on fire.
Lord, clear the Church of all the rot and rubbish the devil has imposed on her, and bring us back to apostolic methods!

The playhouse

(Letters of John Newton, 1767)​
I am thoroughly convinced, that if there is any practice in this land which is sinful, attendance on the playhouse is properly and eminently so! The theaters are fountains of vice, by which the god of this world blinds the eyes of multitudes! These haunts of Satan are to be shunned as pest-houses, and dangerous nuisances to precious souls!

The Gospel opens a source of purer, sweeter, and more substantial pleasures! We may well bid adieu to these perishing pleasures of sin! We may well pity those who can find pleasure in those amusements where God is shut out; where His name is only mentioned to be profaned; where His commandments are not only broken--but insulted; where sinners proclaim their shame as in Sodom, and attempt not to hide it; where, at best, wickedness is wrapped up in a disguise of entertainment, to make it more insinuating!
~ ~ ~ ~

DEALING WITH DEPRESSION

Have you ever been depressed? Depression has been described as a feeling of helplessness and hopelessness that leads to sadness. No one is immune to the numbing effects of depression. Even some of God's prophets became so depressed that they wanted God to take their life. See Jonah 4:3. They were good men who loved God.
1. The problems that they faced

bullet.gif
A physical problem - They were all physically worn out. See Numbers 11:11ff. He had unbelievable problems. Elijah had done without food and completed a long cross country run. Jonah had been swallowed by a whale and almost had a sun stroke. When you are physically worn out you are likely to suffer depression. Fatigue makes cowards of us all.
bullet.gif
A psychological problem - Moses had a people problem. They were constantly asking him for things and answers and blaming him. Moses was emotionally drained. Elijah had a pity problem. Elijah had this idea that he was better than other people. He wasn't expecting to be hunted down. If he really wanted to die he would not have run away from Jezebel. Jonah had a pout problem. He did not like the way God was doing things. He was very angry with God. Jonah would have preferred for the Ninevahites to have been wiped out. None had their eyes on God.
bullet.gif
A spiritual problem - They were spiritually run down. Those in the ministry are not immune. These men where men of God. The spiritual problem came after they are physically and psychologically drained. Satan knows when to strike. They had all come from great highs but then hit the valleys soon after. Watch out for spiritual highs because the valleys may not be far away! Jesus was tempted after a great spiritual high and he is worn out.
2. The provision they found

You can thank God for unanswered prayers! God did not take their lives. God gives us what we need, not what we want. God did not mistake the moment for the man. For Moses He gave 70 elders to help him. Moses learned to delegate. Elijah was refreshed by sleep and the food and water provided by an angel. God gave him a vacation. He was in a retreat centre. Some of you may need a vacation. God knows you need rest. He gives his beloved sleep. The disciples were to come apart for a while and rest. Jonah was given a booth and a vine to deliver him from his grief. The answer can be very practical.
God spoke to Elijah through a still voice rather than the more dramatic things. God had to take away the vine to show Jonah that he was wrong.

God loved them and used them despite their mistakes! God can help us through depression also.

Matthew 2:1-15
SOMETHING SPECIAL

SPECIAL TIME - Vs. 1 - "When Jesus was born..."
SPECIAL PLACE - Vs. 1 - Bethlehem - Micah 5:2
SPECIAL PERSON - Vs. 1 - Jesus - Isaiah 9:6
SPECIAL WELCOMING COMMITTEE - Vs. 2 - The Wise Men
SPECIAL ENEMY - Vss. 3-8 - Herod
SPECIAL JOY - Vss. 9-10 - See Luke 2:10
SPECIAL GIFTS - Vs. 11
SPECIAL PROTECTION - Vss. 12-15

The idol we worship!

(Letters of John Newton)

"People will be lovers of SELF" 2 Timothy 3:2

The passions of discontent, pride, and envy--exert
themselves in each of us. We are fallen into a state
of gross idolatry--and SELF is the idol we worship!

The principle of SELF is deep-rooted in every heart,
and is the spring of every action--until grace infuses
a new principle, and SELF, like Dagon, falls before
the Lord Almighty!

ANGELS APPOINTED BY GOD

Short Description
EXO 22:20 "Behold,I send an angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared." The ministering angels appointed by God will render following services:-

Detail
1. OUR WAYS WILL PROSPER : GEN 24:7
The ministering angels appointed by God will go before us and will prosper our ways according to the Will of God. In Exo 23:1, God has given four commandments. When we obey those commandments, we can inherit the blessings.

2. DIVINE PROTECTION : PS 91:11
God will charge the angels to protect us from all kinds of danger. Evil spirits may plan to trap us but our ministering angels will protect us as God protected Daniel from the lion.

3. FULFILLMENT OF OUR DESIRES : EXO 33:2
The ministering angels appointed by God will accomplish things according to His Will and our desires.

4. WE WILL BE CHASTISED : 11 SAM 24:16,17
Our ministering angels work according to the commandments of our God. So when we disobey Him, He will chastise us through the ministering angels. These angels will set us right. Thus, we can escape from the damnation.

5. WE WILL BE STRENGTHENED : 1 KINGS 19:5,6
Elijah, the prophet was tired both physically and mentally. An angel came down and strengthens him both physically and mentally. Jesus was also strengthened by God through His angels. So, through the angels, our God will strengthen us.

6. HE WILL FIGHT FOR US : 11 CHR 32:20
Our Lord fought for angels through the angels. Similiarly, He fight for us. So, we need not fight with anyone.

7. WE WILL BE DELIVERED : DAN 3:28 , ACTS 12:7
These two incidents heve many things in common. One among them is the trait of faithfullness. Since, these people were faithful to God, He delivered them. Similiarly, when we are faithful, He will deliver us through His angels.

8. ETERNAL LIFE : MAT 24:31
Jesus is coming soon. People who are prepared can go with Him. His angels will take His children to the life of eternity. Let us prepare ourselves for the eternal lives.

Buy it , not sell !

Prov
23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and
understanding.

1. Buy the Truth. Prov 23:23.

2. Know the Truth. John 8:32.

3. Proclaim the Truth. Mark 16:15.

4. Speak the Truth. Psalm 15:2-4.

5. Fed on the Truth. Psalm 37:3.

6. Walk the Truth. 3 John 4.

7. Love the Truth. Zech 8:19.

ONCE MORE

Short Description
Ps 69:33 "For the Lord heareth the poor, and despiseth not His prisoners" He will not forsake His people. There many kinds of prayer and one of the kind which our Lord will answer is that when we say "once" in our prayers. the following are the people who were blessed by saying once in their prayers. The blessings which we will inherit when we pray in this way are

Detail
1. HE WILL ENCOURAGE US: (JUDGES 6:39)
Gideon asks for signs to God to clarify his doubts. He was so scared regarding his vision. But God gave him signs to encourage him. When he prayed, he asked God to show sign once more and God replies his prayers by encouraging him. Similarly, He will encourage us as He encouraged Gideon when we say once more in our prayers.

2. HE WILL TEACH US: (JUDGES 13:8)
Manoah intreats the Lord. He missed the chance of meeting the Man of God but he prays to God to send the Man of God one more time to teach him what He wants him to do. When we pray in the same manner, the Man of God (Christ) will teach us things which we are suppose to do. Each and every time we have to get the counsel of God. We should ask God to reveal His plans which He has for us.

3. HE WILL REMEMBER US: (JUDGES 16:28)
Samson prayed to God to have mercy on him once more to take revenge against Philistines. God heard his prayer and in later verses we see God remembered him and strengthened him to take revenge against Philistines. When we pray in the same manner, God will remember us as He remembered Samson.

4. HE WILL SAVE US: (GEN 18:32)
Abraham prayed for the land of Sodom and Gommorah. He says, "Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once ." God heard this prayer and promised that He will not destroy it for ten's sake. We should pray in this same manner. We should not pray only for families but also for our nation. When we pray in the same manner God will save our nation.

5. HE WILL MAKE US READY FOR HIS SECOND COMING: (JAMES 1:3)
We have faith in God which we recieved as the result of imbibing the gospel. Now we are in the last days. Many issues will raise against our faith. So we have to earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered to the saints. Our faith should increase and should not decrease.

The Spiritual Person and A Worldly Person - Zac Poonen

At the end of the book of Ecclesiastes, the writer asks, “What then is the conclusion of everything?” And he answers it thus: “Fear God and keep His commandments.” There is nothing wrong with that. But why does he say that we should fear God and keep His commandments? Is it because He is a good God and because we love Him? No. It is because one day God will judge everything that is hidden, whether it be good or evil (Ecc 12:14).

The religious man does good things out of fear of judgment. That is how every false religion operates. They teach you to be good, in order to avoid judgment and to be rewarded in the next life! False Christianity preaches the same thing.
Where the primary motivation for our obeying God is the fear of being judged, there we have a false Christianity.

Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (Jn.14:15).

True spirituality is not motivated by the fear of judgment, but by love. Jesus did not obey the Father because He was afraid that the Father would punish Him, but because He loved the Father. That must be the motivation for our obedience too. But that’s not what the writer of
Ecclesiastes had. His attitude to life was one of fatalism and indifference. He decided to steel himself to whatever happens so that he would never be surprised at anything. He didn’t know much about eternity, even though he mentions it once. He was afraid of death and he decided to make the most of this earthly life, with a little bit of “fear of God” thrown in, just to be on the safe side.

Here was a person who sought to discover God through his senses, his intelligence and his reasoning, without the help of the Holy Spirit. Christians who do that will go as much
astray from the truth as those who follow other religions. We can know nothing about God without the help of the Holy Spirit, for He alone can reveal to us the deep things of God. “The thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God” (1Cor.2:11).

The people who crucified Christ were those who studied the Bible every day. They studied about the Messiah. But when He came into their midst, they called him “the prince of devils”!
If the Greeks and Romans had called Jesus by such a name, we can understand it, because they didn’t have the Old Testament. It was not even the liberal Sadducees who called Jesus by that name. It was the fundamentalist Pharisees. They were intelligent. But they were not humble. Their head
was right, but their heart was not right. That happened 2000 years ago and it can happen today. If we don’t live in humble dependence on the Holy Spirit to give us revelation on God’s Word, we will go as much astray as Solomon did.

When Peter looked at Jesus and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God,” Jesus replied saying, “Blessed are you, Simon, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you but My Father in heaven.” That means that it was not Peter’s human cleverness that enabled him to understand this truth. How could an unlearned person like Peter know who Jesus was, when the Pharisees who studied the Scriptures day and night could not? That is because the truths of God can be known only by the revelation of the Holy Spirit. That’s what Peter had and the Pharisees didn’t. So, if you want to understand God’s Word aright, depend on the Holy Spirit.

Solomon tried to find satisfaction through various forms of pleasure, acquiring property, making ponds of water (Ecc 2:6), having many slaves (Ecc 2:7), collecting plenty of silver and gold, etc., “Everything that my eyes desired,
I did not refuse them” (Ecc 2:10). At the end of it all he says, “Thus I considered all my activities and there was noprofit under the sun” (Ecc 2:11). He then talks about the futility of hard work, because “all the fruit of his labour
he would have to leave to somebody who came after him, and who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool!”

“Under the sun everything was vanity” (Ecc 2:22).

We read something interesting in Chapter 2:26: “To a person who is good in God’s sight, God has given wisdom, knowledge and joy.” This is a true statement. If your heart is clear, God gives you opportunities on earth to accumulate divine
wisdom, the knowledge of Himself and the fullness of joy that there is in His presence. But what task does God give a sinner? The task of gathering, collecting and hoarding money and other material things, so that one day they can all be given to the man who is seeking God’s kingdom first! (v.26). In eternity, the meek will inherit the earth. There is no
doubt about that.

All of us are either pursuing after wisdom, the knowledge of God and the joy of the Lord, or we are hoarding, collecting and gathering earthly things. There we see the clear contrast between a spiritual person and a worldly person. Religious people are worldly too. They may know their
Bibles, but they do not know God. And so they too spend their time pursuing after material things and worldly knowledge that will not help them in eternity.

Beware of the nail and the hammer!

(William Secker, "The Consistent Christian" 1660)

"Flee from youthful lusts--and pursue righteousness,
faith, love, and peace." 2 Timothy 2:22

Flee from youthful lusts and worldly delights. These
bees
carry honey in their mouths--but they have a
sting
in their tails! When this Jael brings forth her
milk
and her butter--then beware of the nail and
the hammer!
Death is in the pot--while you are
tasting the soup!

The world always presents a deadly potion--in the
gilded cup
of worldly pleasure. If the cup is sinful--
do not taste it; reason forbids you to taste known
poison! The fish is caught upon the hook--by leaping
at the bait! Sin is like a river, which begins in a quiet
spring
--but ends in a tumultuous sea.

Amen. How many of us still have a sore mouth from biting down on a hook or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back