Humility !

Status
Not open for further replies.
House of Prayer
"And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer;
but ye have made it a den of thieves."- Matthew 21:13
1. Place of joy
"Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer."
- Isaiah 56:7
a. Joy in worship
"Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing."
- Psalm 100:2
b. Joy in witness
"I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD."
- Psalm 122:1
"Whither the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD, unto the testimony of Israel, to give thanks unto the name of the LORD."
- Psalm 122:4
c. Joy in word
"And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem."
- Isaiah 2:3
2. Place of justification
"..their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar"
a. Cleansing
"And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually."
- Job 1:5
b. Commitment
"O LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, our fathers, keep this for ever in the imagination of the thoughts of the heart of thy people, and prepare their heart unto thee:
And give unto Solomon my son a perfect heart, to keep thy commandments, thy testimonies, and thy statutes, and to do all these things, and to build the palace, for the which I have made provision.
And David said to all the congregation, Now bless the LORD your God. And all the congregation blessed the LORD God of their fathers, and bowed down their heads, and worshipped the LORD, and the king.
And they sacrificed sacrifices unto the LORD, and offered burnt offerings unto the LORD, on the morrow after that day, even a thousand bullocks, a thousand rams, and a thousand lambs, with their drink offerings, and sacrifices in abundance for all Israel."
- 1 Chronicles 29:18-21
c. Conquest
"And Samuel took a sucking lamb, and offered it for a burnt offering wholly unto the LORD: and Samuel cried unto the LORD for Israel; and the LORD heard him.
And as Samuel was offering up the burnt offering, the Philistines drew near to battle against Israel: but the LORD thundered with a great thunder on that day upon the Philistines, and discomfited them; and they were smitten before Israel."
- 1 Samuel 7:9-10
3. Place of Judgment
"...for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people."
a. Creation
"And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation"
- Acts 17:26
b. Salvation
"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people."
- Luke 2:10
c. Adoration
"O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph."
- Psalm 47:1

Those are not mothers—but monsters!

(William Secker, "The Wedding Ring" 1658)
"Train up a child in the way he should go—and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

The goal of the godly mother, is that her children in the flesh—may be God's children in the spirit. A mother should be more careful of her children's pious breeding—than she should be fearful of her children's worldly bearing.

Take heed, lest these flowers grow in the devil's garden! Take heed, that though you bring them out in corruption—yet do not bring them down to damnation! Those are not mothers—but monsters—who while they are teaching their children the way to heaven with their lips—are leading them to hell with their lives!

You let out your efforts to make them great—lift up your prayers to make them godly; that before you die from them—you may see Christ live in them. While these twigs are green and tender—they should be bowed towards God.

Children are in a family—as passengers are in a boat. The husband and wife are as a pair of oars to row them to their desired haven!

Let these small pieces of timber be hewed and squared for the celestial building.

By putting a scepter of grace into their hands—you will set a crown of glory upon their heads! "Train up a child in the way he should go—and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Slavery to a bad husband!

(William Secker, "The Wedding Ring")

"Husbands, love your wives and do not
be harsh with them." Colossians 3:19

If the woman is a help to the man—then
let not the man cast dirt on the woman!

Secundus treated his wife like a servant! But
surely he was a monster—and not a man! He
was fitter for a tomb to bury him—than a
womb
to bear him!

It is evil to play 'the butcher' with that gentle
Because they are the 'weaker vessels'—shall
we break them all to pieces?

A wife must never be sharply driven—but
sweetly drawn
. Compassion may bend her
—but compulsion will break her! Husband
and wife should act towards each other
with consent—not by constraint!

The husband must provide for the wife's
necessities. You must not be a drone—and
she a drudge! Many husbands waste that
money in luxury—which should supply their
wives necessity! They have neither the piety
of a true Christian—nor the love of a true
husband. It is a sad spectacle to see a wife
in slavery to a bad husband—who keeps
her under his fetters!

Satan Dreads A Church That Is United
by Zac Poonen

Jesus made many promises in relation to individual believers praying to God. But in Matthew 18:18,19, we have a promise made to a section of Christ's Body praying in unison: "Whatever you bind on earth", Jesus said, "is bound in Heaven, and whatever you free on earth will be freed in Heaven. I also tell you this - if two of you agree down here on earth concerning anything you ask for, my Father in Heaven will do it for you" (TLB).

The word translated "agree" in verse 19, is the Greek word sumphoneo, from which our English word "symphony" is derived. Jesus was referring in these verses to a unity among even two of His children that would be like a musical symphony. This implies more than just saying "Amen" at the end of another's prayer. Symphony implies a deep harmony of spirit between those who are praying together. When the fellowship of even a small group of Christians is like the symphony produced by a well-conducted orchestra, then (Jesus said) their prayers will have such authority that anything they asked for would be granted. Such a group of Christians would have authority to bind Satan's power and to liberate Satan's captives.

The reason why such a fellowship could exercise such authority was explained by Jesus: "For", He said, "wherever two or three are gathered together into My Name, there I AM in the midst of them" (verse 20-Amplified). Christ the Head is present with all His authority in the midst of such a fellowship, and therefore the powers of Hell can never stand against it.

One reason why the Church described in The Acts of the Apostles knew the reality of this authority was because they had this harmony in their fellowship.

"All of these (the 11 apostles) with their minds in full agreement devoted themselves steadfastly to prayer”..... "And all who believed were united and together.....and day after day they regularly assembled in the temple with united purpose”...... "And they (the apostles and other believers).....lifted their voices together with one united mind to God”......(Acts 1:14; 2:44,46; 4:24-Amplified).

Because they were integrated into one spiritual Body under the authority of Christ, they could exercise the Lord's authority in prayer. They were not highly educated, they had no social influence and no financial backing, yet they turned the then-known world upside down for Christ.

When Peter was locked up in prison, all of Herod's forces could not stand against the power of that early Church on its knees before God (Acts 12:5-11). Satan's kingdom was shaken to its foundations by that Church as it went forth as one Body, registering the victory and authority of Christ in human lives all over the Roman Empire (See Acts 19:11-20 for one example of this).

Today Satan ridicules the efforts of a disunited Church trying to oust him from his strongholds by gimmicks, gadgets, conferences, theological knowledge, eloquence and trained choirs. None of these are of any avail against Satan. The Church needs to know again the reality of being one Body united under the Headship of Christ.

A fellowship of Christians properly related to each other, growing in love for one another and living in obedience to Christ and His Word is the greatest threat to the kingdom of the Devil on earth. Satan dreads nothing else as much as that. Let us make it our prayer that the Lord will help us to live each day in the light of the glorious truth of the Body. As more and more Christians throughout the world begin to understand and to live by this truth, we shall assuredly see the Church, though small in number, restored to her pristine glory, an instrument in God's Hands to rout the forces of darkness and a channel of blessing to a needy world.

THE NAPKIN ABOUT CHRIST'S HEAD

'And the napkin, that was about His head, not lying with the linen clothes,
but wrapped together in a place by itself '
John 20:7

Why 'wrapped together in a place by itself '?
Because Jesus wished to show that He arose calmly: no haste, no hurry, not as if in flight from the tomb, but in solemn triumph and at leisure. So He wishes His people to be calm. 'He that believeth shall not make haste.' Yes, and see! He folded the napkin neatly and laid it by.
But far more. That napkin had been put there by Joseph and Nicodemus. Christ very likely was as beautiful as Moses, but His face had been marred by suffering. After His death the beauty all returned, and that was why they did not cover His face with a napkin, as John 11: 44. Seeing the bleeding wounds caused by the crown of thorns, they carefully and tenderly drew the napkin round His brow. When Jesus awoke on the third day He noticed this act of kindness, and folded up the napkin and laid it in a place by itself, as indeed precious to Him, because it told the tenderness of their care for Him. They will hear more about this napkin when He returns.
Thus He cares for the smallest acts of kindness we do for Him and to Him; how much more for what we do under difficulties and in suffering, and not least, for our efforts to win souls.

Andrew A. Bonar

Only one name.

In the name of Jesus there is found.

1. Salvation. Acts 4:12.

2. Forgiveness. I Jn 2:12.

3. Strength. Acts 3:16.

4. Eternal Life. I Jn 5:13.

5. Sonship. Jn 1; 12.

6. Answered prayer. Jn 14:13-14.

7. Name above all name. Phil 2:11

Knowing God
by Zac Poonen

A spiritual leader will be able to lead others along God’s ways because He knows God personally.

Daniel 11:32,33 speaks of two types of preachers who will be found on earth in the last days. There will be many who speak smooth words and turn people to ungodliness. On the other hand, there will be a few who know God, who give people insight and do great exploits for God.

Today, both these types of preachers are found in Christendom. There are many who speak smooth words to please their hearers. But those who know God speak the truth, whether their hearers are pleased or offended, and whether men shower them with praises or abuses!

Human beings are like sheep. They tend to follow the crowd and are afraid of being different. But if the crowd is going in the wrong direction, everybody goes astray. This is the situation today. So, God is looking for some, who will stand true to Him and lead people along His way. But if we are to be bold enough to be different from the crowd, we must know God and His mind - His thoughts and His ways.

Most Christian "leaders" whom I’ve met in India during the last 30 years, do not seem to know God personally, or His thoughts. They simply repeat what they’ve read in some Western Christian magazine or book. Some particular emphasis is popular in every decade among American Christian leaders. In the 1980s it was one thing and today it is something else. And like the echoes that one hears in mountainous regions, these emphases are faithfully echoed by their sycophants in India and other Third-World countries – especially when they present their "papers" at congresses on evangelism! If the American "leaders" write about "church growth", then the Indian Christian "leaders" faithfully echo "church growth". If the Americans speak about "the 10/40 window", then the Indian preachers faithfully repeat "the 10/40 window". If Western Christians teach "the pre-tribulation rapture of the church", then Indian Bible-teachers will teach only that. They never dare to question Western Christians!

But doesn’t God ever speak to anybody in India directly? Does He speak only to the white races?

The reason for all this imitation is the slave-mentality that is found among almost all Third-World Christians. We Indians were ruled by the British for more than 200 years. And it is difficult for us to be free from this "slave-mentality". Almost all Indian Christians feel that the white man is superior to them and more spiritual than them - because he is assertive and domineering and has lots of money.

I met a black American brother once who told me that although the black people in U.S.A. had been legally delivered from slavery more than a century ago, the spirit of the slave was still found in most of them even now! When they look at a white man, they feel inferior to him. I find exactly the same attitude in almost every Indian Christian.

To tell you quite honestly, I’ve found most Western preachers who’ve come to India (that I’ve met) to be quite shallow and worldly. They don’t know God. But because they have plenty of money to throw around, they become celebrities wherever they go. Look at the advertisements for Christian conferences in India. In the vast majority of cases, the main speaker is always a Western preacher. What a sad state our country’s Christianity has come to? If this were true only among nominal Christians, one could understand it. But it is just the same among those who claim to be "born again" and "Spirit-baptized"!

We must break free from this slave-mentality. But if some white man is paying your salary, then of course it will be difficult for you to break free from him! Then you must decide to stop serving men and start serving the Lord. Whose servant are you in any case? The Bible tells us not to be slaves of men, because we have been bought with a price (1 Cor.7:23).

Let your passion be to know God personally. Then you won’t be an "echo" of some Western "leader" - or of an Indian "leader" for that matter! You won’t be anyone’s slave. You’ll be a man of God. Spiritual authority can come only through a personal knowledge of God.

I urge you my brothers, be men who know God. That will make your personal life glorious and your ministry authoritative. This is what our country needs today more than anything else.

It is much easier to know the Bible than it is to know God - because you don’t have to pay a price to know the Bible. All you have to do is study.

You can be immoral in your personal life and impure in your thought-life and still know the Bible very well. You can be a well-known preacher and yet be a great lover of money at the same time. But you can’t know God and be immoral in your life. You can’t know God and be a lover of money. That’s impossible. And that’s why most preachers take the easier path of knowing the Bible rather than knowing God.

I want to ask you, brothers: Are you happy with just knowing the Bible or is there a desperate hunger in your hearts to know the Lord? The apostle Paul said in Philippians 3:8-10 that his greatest longing was to know the Lord better. He considered everything else as rubbish compared to knowing the Lord. Paul gave up all his pearls for this pearl of great price. The secret of Paul’s ministry is to be found not in the years that he spent studying the Bible at Gamaliel’s seminary, but in his personal knowledge of the Lord.

"Eternal life is to know God and Jesus Christ personally" (John 17:3). We have perhaps defined eternal life as living eternally in heaven. But that was not how Jesus defined it. Eternal life has nothing to do with going to heaven or escaping hell. It has to do with knowing the Lord. To know God intimately and personally has been the passion of my life and the burden of my heart. I know that my ministry can have Divine authority only as I know God personally. And so, in all of our churches, I have sought to lead people to a knowledge of God Himself.

There is more Bible knowledge today than ever before in history. For nearly 1500 years after the day of Pentecost, there were no printed Bibles available anywhere. Only in the last two centuries, have Bibles been so freely available. Today, we have so many versions and concordances and study-helps.

But do you think all this increased Bible knowledge has produced holier Christians? No. If Bible-knowledge could produce holiness, we should be having the godliest people in history living today. But we don’t. Satan himself would have been holy if Bible-knowledge could produce holiness - for no-one knows the Bible as well as he does.

We have so many seminaries today teaching the Bible to thousands of students. But are the godliest people in the world today found in those seminaries? No. Many seminary graduates today are worse than the heathen.

Some years ago, I met a seminary graduate from one of India’s top evangelical seminaries, who had stood first in his graduating class. He told me that after three years in that seminary, his spiritual condition was worse than when he first joined it. What then did that seminary teach him? It had taught him facts about the Bible and about Christianity. Satan himself could have graduated as first in the class, from such a seminary.

What was the use that young man learning Hermeneutics, and what the "higher critics" had said, and what the root-meanings of Greek words were, if he hadn’t overcome anger, bitterness, lustful thoughts and the love of money? With his newly-acquired certificate, he would soon become a pastor of a church. But what would he teach the people in his church, whose biggest problems would be moral and not theological? He wouldn’t be able to help them at all, in any of those areas. This is how God’s work in India is being destroyed.

Only if you know God yourself, will you be able to lead your flock to know Him. If you have victory over sin in your own life, you’ll be able to lead your flock also to victory over sin. Then they too will be equipped to go out and serve the Lord - with authority and power.

Do you think the devil is impressed by anyone’s Bible knowledge or degree-certificates? Not at all. Satan fears only holy, humble men and women who know God.

May God help us to lead our younger brothers and sisters to know God.

Let me no longer waste my time

(Hannah More, "The Book of Private Devotion")​
Almighty God, I adore Your infinite patience, which has not cut me off in the midst of my follies; I magnify Your wonderful goodness, which has spared me thus long. Let me no longer abuse that precious treasure--time, which you have allotted me as a proper season to work out my own salvation, and secure that happiness which is great in itself, and infinite in its duration.

Let me bid adieu to all those vain amusements, those trifling entertainments and sinful diversions, which have robbed me of many valuable hours, and endangered the loss of my immortal soul. Let me no longer waste my time in ease and pleasure, in unprofitable studies, and more unprofitable conversation; but grant, that, by diligence and honesty in my calling, by constancy and fervor in my devotions, by moderation and temperance in my enjoyments, by justice and charity in all my words and actions, and by keeping a conscience void of offence to God and man--I may be able to give a good account in the day of judgment, and be accepted in and through the merits of Jesus Christ, my only mediator and advocate.
Amen.

"The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations"

- Isaiah 52:10

---------------------------------------------------------------

1. Holy arm

"O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
The LORD hath made known his salvation: his righteousness hath he openly shewed in the sight of the heathen.
He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel: all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God."
- Psalms 98:1-3

2. Outstretched arm

"Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:
- Jeremiah 32:17

3. Faithful arm

"The LORD hath sworn by his right hand, and by the arm of his strength, Surely I will no more give thy corn to be meat for thine enemies; and the sons of the stranger shall not drink thy wine, for the which thou hast laboured."
- Isaiah 62:8

4. Everlasting arm

"The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them."
- Deuteronomy 33:27

5. Glorious arm

"That led them by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name?"
- Isaiah 63:12

Darkness and Light.

All the Law can do is to produce "Darkness". as when Moses caused a "Thick Darkness "to cover the land of Egypt.

Ex 10:10:22
And Moses stretched forth his hand toward heaven; and there was
a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days:
10:23 They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for
three days: but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings.

But "Grace" gives "Light" Jesus said I am the Light of the world.Jn 9:5.

Jesus came to give not only sight to the physically blind but to the spiritually
blind as well.

Love of Jesus

(Theodore Cuyler, "Wayside Springs
from the Fountain of Life" 1883)

"The love of Christ constrains us."
2 Corinthians 5:14

Love of Jesus is essential to Christianity.
No privations can starve it, and no burdens
can break it down. It is the core of all true
piety. It is the only cure of the reigning
worldliness and covetousness and fashion
worship
, which have made such havoc in
too many churches.

There is only one way to be a steadfast
Christian—it is to get the heart so full of love
to Jesus—that the world, and the lusts of
the flesh, and the devil can get no foothold.

A true Christian life is the continual
consecration of our bodily powers, of our
energies, our affections, our resources,
and our influence—to Him who bought
us with His precious blood.

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of
God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living
sacrifices
, holy and pleasing to God—this is
your spiritual act of worship." Romans 12:1​

The Lord our Shepherd will guard us
"Hear the word of the LORD, O ye nations, and declare it in the isles afar off, and say, He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd doth his flock."
- Jeremiah 31:10
1. Shepherd's love
"To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out."
- John 10:3
2. Shepherd's direction
"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice."
- John 10:4
3. Shepherd's sacrifice
"I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."
- John 10:11
4. Shepherd's knowledge
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me"
- John 10:27
5. Shepherd's care
"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."
- John 10:28

CITIZENS OF HEAVEN
There is no meaning at all in the first clause of Philippians 3:20, "for our conversation is in heaven"—if we use the word "conversation" in its ordinary modem sense. But if we render the sentence according to the original Greek—we have the vividly impressive truth, "Our citizenship is in heaven." To the Christians at Philippi this expression had a peculiar point, for Philippi was a Roman colony. The people were proud of the fact that they belonged to imperial Rome, and received their laws from the city of the Caesars. While living in Philippi, their citizenship was in that proud capital which ruled the world.
Just so, is every true child of God a citizen of heaven. Our homestead is on high. A part of the blood-bought family are there already, and every day witnesses the home-coming of thousands more. Only a thin veil separates me—from the multitudes around the celestial throne; when death drops the veil—I am there! Here on earth—I am but a pilgrim—a transient lodger, for this world is not my rest. Here on earth, we who are Christ's have no continuing city; we are seeking for and pressing towards the magnificent city which has foundations, whose builder is the Almighty God. "Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, to abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul." 1 Peter 2:11
A wondrous comfort does this thought bring to us—amid the discomforts and the sharp trials on the weary road. This life is only our training-school, to purify us and make us more "fit" for the heavenly community among whom we expect to dwell.
If we are citizens of the New Jerusalem, then our laws come from thence. The best citizens of this republic are those whose lives are loyal to the higher law which God has written in his Word. No earthly statute is fit to be enacted, which contravenes God's truth; and that professed Christian is a coward and a traitor to his Master—who does not carry his religion into his politics as much as into his business pursuits or his household. "If you love me," said our loving Redeemer, "keep my commandments." The world around us has its unwritten code of morals and of manners. It sets up its standards and fixes its fashions to suit itself. But they are no rule for the Christian. Jesus has "chosen us out of the world," and given his own life to be our standard and our pattern. Every consistent Christian's motto should be: "I must live in this world, and yet not be of it!" Daniel did his best service for wicked Babylon, by keeping his windows open towards Jerusalem, and by loyalty to its everlasting King.
"Do not be conformed to this world; but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2. This world never will be converted—by conformity to it; but it would be overwhelmingly impressed by the sight of a vast body of people who would live and speak and act as the citizens of heaven itself. What a salt would our influence be; what a power would our example be; what a trumpet would our every word be!Every Christian, therefore, should dare to be singular. It is of little account to be judged of man's judgment; he who judges us is the Lord. We are members of society, and bound to contribute our very utmost to its benefit; but we do that best by remembering that our first allegiance is to that society whose leader is Christ. We report to headquarters.
The first question of a Christian should be, "What does my Master command? Would he approve my mode of doing business, my style of living, my amusements, my temper, my whole daily conduct? If so, that is enough. My citizenship is with him, and I must see to it that other people recognize that fact. I am not to copy the behavior of this world, when sinful customs make their claims, or worldly seductions offer their bribes. If I am Christ's servant, then I am a citizen of no small city—a member of no insignificant family!"
Let every Christian assert his high birth—by his high bearing. He is never to stoop to anything base, never to be caught at contemptible tricks, never found in suspicious places. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so much higher should a Christian's ways and words and whole conduct be above the ways of the world. He should never apologize to the world, for daring to do right. If we are citizens of heaven, let us be ever setting our affections on things above, on the treasures which are laid up at His right hand.
Just as surely as we set our hearts on any lower objects—our hearts are apt to be broken. But when I climb high enough to put my heart, my aims, my most treasured things in the keeping of my Savior—then Satan himself cannot reach them. Is not this the true "higher life," after all?
The amazing grandeur and glory of this citizenship of heaven will be fully realized when we get there. John says that once "there was silence in heaven for the space of half an hour." Surely if you or I reach the Celestial City, and are ushered into its transcendent light and rush of melodies—we may well be struck silent with unutterable wonder that we are there! Yet we shall be there, if we secure our title through Christ's atoning blood, and if we walk worthy of our high calling, and if we endure as seeing him who is invisible. Then we pilgrims on this planet shall go home to our mother country—and be forever with our King!
by Theodore Cuyler, 1883

Mk 9:44 "where 'Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.'

45 "And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched--

46 "where 'Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.'

47 "And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire--

48 "where 'Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.'

Three times Our Lord speaking about "worm" the greek word is "skolax"

What did the Lord mean when He spoke of those whose worm never die?

Psm 22:6 But I [am] a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised by the people.

Acts 12:23 Then immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he did not give glory to God. And he was eaten by worms and died.

Jonah 4;7 But as morning dawned the next day God prepared a worm, and it [so] damaged the plant that it withered.

Isaiah 41:14 "Fear not, you worm Jacob, You men of Israel! I will help you," says the LORD And your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.

I feel Mk 9:44,46,48 talks about eternal judgement.

Luke 16:24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'

"the worm" and 'dieth not"

Your thoughts are welcome.

We are a worm in this life, yet we are redeemed by Christ of infinite value. Perfect precious blood cleanses those who are His. We just don't want to be a worm in the next life.

Quote from:

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary "9:41-50 It is repeatedly said of the wicked, Their worm dieth not, as well as, The fire is never quenched. Doubtless, remorse of conscience and keen self-reflection are this never-dying worm. Surely it is beyond compare better to undergo all possible pain, hardship, and self-denial here, and to be happy for ever hereafter, than to enjoy all kinds of worldly pleasure for a season, and to be miserable for ever. Like the sacrifices, we must be salted with salt; our corrupt affections must be subdued and mortified by the Holy Spirit. Those that have the salt of grace, must show they have a living principle of grace in their hearts, which works out corrupt dispositions in the soul that would offend God, or our own consciences."

And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment, so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him.
Hebrews 9:28 Bible Commentary

The stunted professor
(Theodore Cuyler, "Beulah-Land" or, "Words of Cheer for Christian Pilgrims", 1896)

"The righteous will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green." Psalm 92:12-14

The first quality of the cedar—is that it GROWS. It is a live tree. Where there is hearty life—there must be growth. It is the lamentable lack of inward godliness, which makes the stunted professor. There is not vitalizing sap enough in his heart-roots to reach up into the boughs of his outward conduct. There is not vigor enough in the trunk of his character, to stand erect. No showers brought down by fervent prayer, cleanse the dust of worldliness from his yellow, sicklied leaves.

There he is—just as he set out in the church a score of years ago—no larger, no broader, no brighter in graces than he was then! The caterpillars of lust have spun their unsightly webs all over his branches. He has not grown an inch—in any one Bible trait. He has not yielded one single fruit of the Spirit. He is a cumberer of the ground—fit only to be cut down. He is all the while drinking up God's pure air and water—and yet fulfilling Satan's purpose! Not of such a prayer-neglecting professor, not of such a time-serving, money-loving, fashion-worshiping professor, could we honestly say, "He grows like a cedar in Lebanon."

You may not know me, but I know everything about you... Psalm 139:1
I know when you sit down and when you rise up... Psalm 139:2
I am familiar with all your ways... Psalm 139:3
Even the very hairs on your head are numbered... Matthew 10:29-31
For you were made in my image... Genesis 1:27
In me you live and move and have your being... Acts 17:28
For you are my offspring.... Acts 17:28
I knew you even before you were conceived... Jeremiah 1:4-5
I chose you when I planned creation... Ephesians 1: 11-12
You were not a mistake, for all your days are written in my book... Psalm 139:15-16
I determined the exact time of your birth and where you would live... Acts 17:26
You are fearfully and wonderfully made... Psalm 139:14
I knit you together in your mother's womb... Psalm 139:13
And brought you forth on the day you were born... Psalm 71:6
I have been misrepresented by those who don't know me... John 8:41-44
I am not distant and angry, but am the complete __expression of love... John4:16
And it is my desire to lavish my love on you simply because you are my child
and I am your Father... 1 John 3:1
I offer you more than your earthly parents ever could... Matthew 7:11
For I am the perfect Parent... Matthew 5:48
Every good gift that you receive comes from my hand... James 1:17
For I am your provider and I meet all your needs... Matthew 6:31-33
My plan for your future has always been filled with hope... Jeremiah 29:11
Because I love you with an everlasting love... Jeremiah 31:3
My thoughts towards you are countless as the sand on the seashore... Psalm 139:17-18
And I rejoice over you with singing... Zephaniah 3:17
I will never stop doing good to you... Jeremiah 32:40
For you are my treasured possession...Exodus 19:5
I desire to establish you with all my heart and all my soul... Jeremiah 32:41
And I want to show you great and marvelous things... Jeremiah 33:3
If you seek me with all your heart, you will find me... Deuteronomy 4:29
Delight in me and I will give you the desires of your heart... Psalm 37:4
For it is I who gave you those desires... Philippines 2:13
I am able to do more for you than you could possibly imagine... Ephesians 3:20
For I am your greatest encourager... 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
I am also the Father who comforts you in all your troubles... 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
When you are brokenhearted, I am close to you... Psalm 34:18
As a shepherd carries a lamb, I have carried you close to my heart... Isaiah 40:11
One day I will wipe away every tear from your eyes and will take away all
the pain you have suffered on this earth.... Revelation 21:3-4
I am your Father, and I love you even as I love my son, Jesus... John 17:23
For in Jesus, my love for you is revealed... John 17:26
He is the exact representation of my being... Hebrews 1:3
He came to demonstrate that I am for you, not against you... Romans 8:31
And to tell you that I am not counting your sins... 2 Corinthians 5:18-19
Jesus died so that I could be reconciled... 2 Corinthians 5:18-19
His death was the ultimate __expression of my love for you... I John 4:10
I gave up everything I loved that I might gain your love... Romans 8:38-39
Come home and I'll throw the biggest party heaven has ever seen... Luke 15:7
I have always been Father, and will always be Father... Ephesians 3:14-15
My question is ... Will you be my child? John 1:12-13

I am waiting for you ... Luke 15:11-32

What abounding grace!

(Stephen Tyng, "Practical Meditations")

"But where sin abounded—grace did
much more abound." Romans 5:20

What abundant grace has He displayed!

His forgiveness, how full and free it has been!
No sin remaining.

His justification, how complete!
No defect unforgiven.

His faithfulness, how unfailing!
No hour of my pilgrimage unwatched.

His forbearance, how tender!
No error of my life remembered.

His compassion, how affectionate!
No sorrow of my heart unconsoled.

His recompense, how abundant!
More than I have power to conceive.

What abounding grace has been thus
displayed to a creature so completely vile;
so destitute of all ground of hope or claim
in himself!

"But where sin abounded—grace did
much more abound." Romans 5:20​

IMITATORS OF GOD

Stephen Tyng,
"Imitators of God." Ephes. 5:1
It is an old proverb, that men will always imitate the being whom they worship. All the records of Paganism, ancient and modern, prove this. The history of Christianity proves it also. True worship is always actual imitation. But God is invisible, and thus inaccessible as an example. Yes. But he has revealed in the Holy Scriptures the principles of his own government, the way in which he may be said to walk, in his guidance of men. He has become really manifest in the person of Jesus Christ, in whom dwelt all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. There he is an example--actually living and visible. I can imitate Christ as a leader. I can imitate him as a pattern. I can become conformed to him as a standard. This I would do and be. If I am one of his people, I shall be thus conformed to his image. If I wish to manifest myself as such, this will be and must be my effort. But let me consider,
1. That God walked in LOVE.The love of God my Savior, who can describe? In his whole work for man it had a length, and breadth, and depth, which passes knowledge. In every part of his earthly work, love was the constant rule of his life, the atmosphere in which he moved. It was pardoning love--consoling love--forbearing love--active love--tender and compassionate love. It was universal love. Even when he rebuked, he did it in love. I see him always comforting the mourning, teaching the ignorant, bearing with the erring, never reviling or resisting the violent.
How beautiful is this pattern! I would follow it--I would attain it. I know it is a path of happiness. I am sure it will be to me a way of constant peace. But I need a Divine power to enable me to follow this example. Let me constantly seek this gracious power--remember the hostility of my own heart against it--never yield to the sinful influence of my own temper; and thus in every relationship walk in love, as Christ also has walked before me.
2. God my Savior walked in HOLINESS.It was a pure and spotless path in which he went. Even his enemies acknowledged they found no fault in him. No sin could be laid to his charge. But it was not mere negative holiness. Every active and living trait of holiness was there. All his acts, and influence, and instructions tended to produce entire love to God and love to men. His was a life of prayer, of spiritual communion with God, of tender benevolence to men. Everyone who was with him might have been the better for his presence. This is holiness. Thus he reigns and rules still.
His command to me is, "Be holy; for I am holy." I long to follow him in this path. What a burdensome service is sin! How weary am I daily of its power, and its effects! But oh what watchfulness, and prayer, and determination, and effort are required in me to walk in holiness! I find an unceasing evil within, when I would do good. But, notwithstanding, I must and will press on in following my Lord. He will strengthen and uphold me by his own Spirit dwelling within me. If I am sincere and determined, he will bear with my infirmities, and enable me to do his will.
3. God my Savior walked in PATIENCE. His life on earth was a life of suffering. He endured the contradiction of sinners against himself. They whom he loved, returned his love with reproaches and sorrows. But he was forbearing and patient with all. I hear no complaining, no reviling, no reproaches, no bitterness from him. How lovely is this pattern! How happy is the heart which attains it! My life on earth is a life of trial. I can hardly call it a life of suffering, I am so encompassed with earthly benefits and mercies. But I have often demands for patient submission. I need the spirit of quiet and satisfied concession to the will of God. I often lose what I desire--am disappointed in what I gain--am defeated in what I pursue--suffer in that which I possess--am injured by those whom I have loved. Well, this is God's appointment, and this was his chosen path. Let me be patient, quiet, enduring, and allow his will to be done, without a single complaint from me. Thus may I follow him, though afar off.
4. God my Savior walked in JOYFUL ANTICIPATION. For the joy that was set before him, he endured the cross and despised the shame. That joy was his heavenly kingdom and eternal glory. It was the glorious result of his work of suffering in the full redemption of his people. It was a sufficient and a constant support. Under its influence he suffered his appointed course, and then entered into his glory. Thus would I follow him. I would enjoy the bright and blessed hope which he bestows. His patient sufferings have obtained my glorious hope. By this hope I would be supported, as an anchor to my soul, both sure and steadfast.
How cheerful it should make me in duty! How contented in losses! How tranquil in adversity! How hopeful in contests! How abiding and faithful in seasons of darkness! Ah, soon it will all appear. I shall see clearly, and know as I am known. Soon the shadows will flee, and the Sun of Righteousness will arise. I will look forward with joyful hope, in certain faith, that my Savior will appear in his glory, and I shall be permitted to appear with him.
5. This will be a most happy and influential walk.If I thus follow Jesus my Lord and my God, in love, in holiness, in patience, in joyful anticipation, I shall not only enjoy the blessedness of the path myself, but I shall be made the instrument of leading others to it also. Such a walk makes religious character attractive and valuable. It shows the power of religion. It honors the Savior. It convinces and silences the world. Thus let me follow Christ.
Oh for a closer walk with God,
A calm and heavenly frame;
A light to shine upon the road
That leads me to the Lamb!
Return, O holy Dove, return–
Sweet messenger of rest!
I hate the sins which made you mourn,
And drove you from my breast.

JEHOVAH NISSI: MY VICTORY (EXODUS 17:15)
As the revelation of who God is continues, the moment He becomes our Healer, we experience the next revelation: Jehovah Nissi, My Victory. This revelation of God’s name is found in Exodus 17 following Israel’s conflict with the Amalekites. A descendant of Esau named Amalek led an attack on the Israelites at Rephidim. Moses told Joshua to organize the mighty men of Israel for battle on the following day, promising to stand on the mountaintop and petition God for victory with the rod of God in hand while Israel faced Amalek in battle.
The following day Joshua did as Moses had commanded, leading Israel into battle while Moses stood atop the mountain with the rod of God extended as he prayed for victory. The Bible tells us that as long as Moses lifted up his hands in prayer, Israel prevailed in the battle. When he grew tired and let down his hands, however, Amalek began to triumph.
After several hours Moses became exhausted. Unable to hold his hands up any longer, he sat down on a rock. Aaron and Hur, who had climbed the mountain with him, came to his aid and held up his hands, and with one on each side of him, they steadied his hands until the sun went down. As soon his hands were lifted up again, Joshua and his band of warriors defeated the Amalekites.
Moses built an altar to commemorate the victory, for the Lord said to Moses, “Write this for a memorial in a book, and rehearse it in the ears of Joshua: for I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven. And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovah-nissi” (Exodus 17:14-15).
In this revelation of God’s name as Jehovah Nissi (my Victory) we see God’s power displayed as He brings victory in defense of His people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back