I believe factory farming needs to go!

Hey, I can't believe that little girl on the egg carton is holding a rooster! Is that a rooster?

Don't they claw and peck? Ouch!
You know, I had not noticed. I think you are right but not sure.

My brother-in-law (those that we just visited) have a small pen with chickens. They get all of their eggs that way and, last time I counted, get an average of 7 - 8 eggs a day.

Great, Thanks to you, I did so reading on this and it realty is depressing (https://thehumaneleague.org/article/factory-farm-to-table-the-truth-behind-cheap-meat-eggs-and-dairy)

However, I think we have gone too far too turn it around: "over 90 percent of all farmed animals live on factory farms, while in the United States that figure rises to 99 percent."

We just got back from a short vacation, so there is not much in the "ice box." We do have some eggs, so I guess you are telling me it's actually a lie and they don't love their chickens???

:(

View attachment 6249

The question then must be......"Why did it go this far to come back from"????

I agree completely that it is unhuman and environmentally questionable. But the population has demanded more product that was able to be delivered conventionally. So then.......what is the answer?

thanks for all your answers.

the poisoning of the earth and animals has really gotten to me these last few months. this pandemic is driving me crazy....

first, what I really need to do, is, before I embark on any further action is see like Major sees and to get both sides of the story, so I don't end up biased.

any good sites to visit to help see a more balanced view or a closer look at where these farms could improve would be helpful

(I think a lot of this factory farm bashing is to do with the climate controversy and maybe the poor condition of factory workers)

I've always been against factory farming, but also veges and fruit is also grown 'factory style' in rows with mechanised harvesting. Agribusiness has turned it into a huge industry.

What needs to be done is support regenerative farmers and encourage people to farm sustainably. Some of it needs to come from govt level legislation to stop inhumane practices.

If people went back to organic methods yes it would be a bit more labour intensive (more people looking after animals, tending plants) but they would have a job and fresh food to eat.

The problem is farm owners don't want labour or only cheap labour and so the farm workers may only live on subsistence level. A lot of farm work is seasonal and they don't want to pay someone to work year round, so migrant workers will go from farm to farm.

What traditonally has been done for centuries is farmers have big families with lots of children, and the children don't go to school they just work on the farm. Extra hands, free labour.

Great, Thanks to you, I did so reading on this and it realty is depressing (https://thehumaneleague.org/article/factory-farm-to-table-the-truth-behind-cheap-meat-eggs-and-dairy)

However, I think we have gone too far too turn it around: "over 90 percent of all farmed animals live on factory farms, while in the United States that figure rises to 99 percent."

We just got back from a short vacation, so there is not much in the "ice box." We do have some eggs, so I guess you are telling me it's actually a lie and they don't love their chickens???

:(

View attachment 6249
hey, don't fret...yet....ray....
I have only just started being aware of intensive farming....and got carried away.
ive only read the criticisms. and started to fret until I sought out some farmers....and,
actually there is a load of good points in intensive farming which the tabloids are not reporting on. which has really opened my eyes....

so I will carry on with the factory chucks ....all this intensive farm bashing is pretty much hogwash.

the animals don't get sick from the actual treatment..Of course there will be some mean treatment of them, but those are the workers and should be ashamed of themselves.
but its a natural thing that animals just do when cramped together..

I've always been against factory farming, but also veges and fruit is also grown 'factory style' in rows with mechanised harvesting. Agribusiness has turned it into a huge industry.

What needs to be done is support regenerative farmers and encourage people to farm sustainably. Some of it needs to come from govt level legislation to stop inhumane practices.

If people went back to organic methods yes it would be a bit more labour intensive (more people looking after animals, tending plants) but they would have a job and fresh food to eat.

The problem is farm owners don't want labour or only cheap labour and so the farm workers may only live on subsistence level. A lot of farm work is seasonal and they don't want to pay someone to work year round, so migrant workers will go from farm to farm.

What traditonally has been done for centuries is farmers have big families with lots of children, and the children don't go to school they just work on the farm. Extra hands, free labour.

Change!

Change is neither good nor bad. It is inevitable.

I am old enough to remember that a trip to the store was an all day even in a wagon pulled by a mule.
Today it is a 5 minute trip in a car and that car has air conditioning.

Farming has changed. Families have changed. Talking about what used to be and what we want it to be will never make change happen.
We all must adapt to what is the reality that surrounds us or we sit and complain and become depressed.

IF.....IF you are willing to pay for "Organic" farming"....good for you.

That means when eggs are $10.00 a dozen you will not complain.
When ground beef is $10.00 a pound you will smile and be happy.
When a loaf of bread is $10.00 a loaf you will buy two and be glad to do it.

THAT my dear will be the reality of going back to "Traditional organic" farming which means a LOT of people living right now on the edge will go hungry.

hey, don't fret...yet....ray....
I have only just started being aware of intensive farming....and got carried away.
ive only read the criticisms. and started to fret until I sought out some farmers....and,
actually there is a load of good points in intensive farming which the tabloids are not reporting on. which has really opened my eyes....

so I will carry on with the factory chucks ....all this intensive farm bashing is pretty much hogwash.

the animals don't get sick from the actual treatment..Of course there will be some mean treatment of them, but those are the workers and should be ashamed of themselves.
but its a natural thing that animals just do when cramped together..

It is interesting how the media can easily influence us...until we hear the ‘rest of the story’.
(it’s why censorship is so dangerous.)

Back