I Lied To The Elders Of My New Church

Hello! I have always been a Christian, but never a strong believer. I felt a strong pull (or push you might say) toward God a few months ago. I joined the local Presbyterian church and it has been one of the best things to ever happen to my life. I am very excited to go to service every Sunday and I even started attending a women's Bible study.

Last week at the Bible study we were telling the story of our Baptism. When it got to me I was too embarrassed to admit that I had yet to be Baptized so I made up a story (it was mostly true, except the part where I was Baptized). Now I don't know what to do. I need to be Baptized but I "already have been." I don't want to leave this church because of such a stupid lie, but I feel like I have already ruined everything.

Is it sufficient to ask God for forgiveness, talk with my Pastor about it and then be Baptized? Or do I have to confess the lie to the women? I really don't want to do that, but I want to be a good Christian even more so.

A Presbyterian church that baptizes? How interesting. What 'type' of baptism do they perform? Is it a full immersion or sprinkling on the head or the face/head dip?

Well, if the congregation your in is worth its salt-they will forgive you-just start telling the truth. I am guessing you may have a bit of a 'fibbing' problem in your past? None of my business really, just a guess...

So are you comfortable in your salvation? Do you understand what the Bible says about how to be 'saved"? What about baptism-do you understand the significance of it?

I really don't know the answers to these questions. Being part of a church is new for me.I am sure they do baptisms, everyone there had been baptized. From what I've read online Presbyterian's perform sprinkling/pouring baptisms.

I do want to be baptized. God has led me to him and I feel ready to (and a need to) be baptized. And I guess maybe I don't ... ? As far as I am aware being baptized is a necessary part of joining the church. Not something you have an option of doing. So I guess I am confused as to why you're asking me about my understanding of it.

Because if you don't understand it-you shouldn't be doing it....

First step in becoming a True Christian is 'Salvation'. Have you you been "saved"? If you do not know the answer to this question then you are not ready for baptism and if you do a baptism it would be void if you have not truly accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior. Baptism is step #1 AFTER salvation.

"Biblical Baptism" is a full immersion baptism witnessed by at least one member of the 'church'-which is also known as "The Body of Christ". When you get baptized it is a public acknowledgment and testimony that you are committed to following Christ. If you read you Bible (The Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke & John, as well as Acts); you will read all about what baptism is and why we do it.

But first-are you saved?

Let me give you a little background about myself because I want to teach you in love and not with your guard up.

I grew up and am still technically a "member" of my local Presbyterian church. My Grandparents and family attended this church and I was granted membership upon graduation of high school. My Grandmother still attends this church and many people I know go there and they could be considered 'good people'. But the church is not biblical. And I am not trying to say that with any hate-it is the truth. And the church today is far less biblical than it was when I was 18 some 20 years ago. I love the people there-but it is not a Christ serving church. The last time I sat in those pews-the reverend denied the deity of Christ by saying He did not "really perform miracles".

I never really heard the Gospel in the church-I knew the story-but I did not KNOW the Gospel message. The Presbyterian church would have you believe that YOU can somehow-or might-get into heaven by learning to be a 'nice person'. This is not biblical. The Presbyterian church would now see me as fool who actually believes what the Bible says about getting into heaven and the afterlife. They will tell you that I do not understand the "true meaning" behind the Bible-but they somehow do.

Here's the thing-I don't want you to believe me- believe what the Bible says-that is what we call "Faith". Believe what Jesus Christ says-not me-not a "church"-not a 'doctor'-but the Son of God who is God in the flesh. KNOW the Gospel-which means "Good News". You can know TODAY! that if you died you would be on your way to heaven:

...God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God....Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I am the way, the truth and the life.

Love
Jesus the Christ-Son of the Living God

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
But God commandeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

With Love,
Paul-Apostle to the Gentiles

Last edited:
Tithes
Church attendance
Being nice
Charity
Generosity
Good deeds/ works
Praying
Baptism

None of these things will get you into heaven.

I appreciate your intentions, but your response isn't what I am looking for. I am very happy with the road I am on and have found leaders within my church who are good supporters. The concern isn't, "am I ready to be baptized?" but rather that 1) these people assume I have been baptized and thus think that step in becoming an official member is taken care of, and 2) I lied to these people and am unsure of how God will feel about me lying to important people within my church (do I have to do something else other than ask for forgiveness?).

Also, let's just respect that your Presbyterian church doesn't mean anything about mine.

Or do I have to confess the lie to the women? I really don't want to do that, but I want to be a good Christian even more so.
I think so….yes, of course.... aside for they will know eventually:

you can turn it around from dishonesty and it will become honesty.... just continue to be honest and it shows you are....

How to tell unpleasant news….
Many people are too emotional, even Christians

Make a soft landing with people emotion… do not crash a bad news….

How a soft landing:
Good news, then bad, good news, then bad. = up, down, up, down…
.until you realize that they realize it already….

Example:
Hey, I really like what am learning, the group, the sharing, the support….. (Up)
But I feel so insecure last time _____ (Down)
I want to be honest with you ____ (Up)
But I lied…. (Down)
I really (afraid) to confess, but I want to be a good Christian even more so. (Up)

But i think the critical part here is what Bro. Mike is describing….which i bet they are...

Well, if the congregation your in is worth its salt-they will forgive you-just start telling the truth.

Last edited:
Hello! I have always been a Christian, but never a strong believer. I felt a strong pull (or push you might say) toward God a few months ago. I joined the local Presbyterian church and it has been one of the best things to ever happen to my life. I am very excited to go to service every Sunday and I even started attending a women's Bible study.

Last week at the Bible study we were telling the story of our Baptism. When it got to me I was too embarrassed to admit that I had yet to be Baptized so I made up a story (it was mostly true, except the part where I was Baptized). Now I don't know what to do. I need to be Baptized but I "already have been." I don't want to leave this church because of such a stupid lie, but I feel like I have already ruined everything.

Is it sufficient to ask God for forgiveness, talk with my Pastor about it and then be Baptized? Or do I have to confess the lie to the women? I really don't want to do that, but I want to be a good Christian even more so.
At my church the pastor talks to the person about wheter they were baptisized, he does this in private, if they are not they have to be baptized before they become members.

The first step is repentance...If you haven't' done that, nothing else is going to matter. You must first go humble yourself before God;

Jas 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Luk 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

God Bless

TC

You acted on the spur of the moment and telling a lie was not the right thing to do but you are feeling guilty and that you are in this church for a reason. In would suggest going to your Pastor and just explain that you were caught off guard and you have not been baptised but for some reason said you had. Say sorry and ask for advice, if they are full of grace they will work it out with you. Look at the disciples and any group of people who spend time together, relationships are a challenge but working together is always going to be worth it.

Maybe spend some time with God, ask Him what it was in the group that made you feel you needed to fit in and say you had been baptised. God loves you and also your church friends do too, pray The Lord will help you to grow even deeper relationships, no one is perfect :)

Thanks everyone! I actually told the people I lied to and they were so excited about me joining the church they didn't even pause on the part about me lying. I was baptized last month and it was really lovely.
Well done! You took the best route.

Always...ALWAYS Repent immediately if you sin or make a bad decision that will cost you spiritually. When you Repent you are telling The Lord you are sorry for your actions...me then forgives you. He expects all of us to do likewise to those who lie or hurt us..

I appreciate your intentions, but your response isn't what I am looking for. I am very happy with the road I am on and have found leaders within my church who are good supporters. The concern isn't, "am I ready to be baptized?" but rather that 1) these people assume I have been baptized and thus think that step in becoming an official member is taken care of, and 2) I lied to these people and am unsure of how God will feel about me lying to important people within my church (do I have to do something else other than ask for forgiveness?).

Also, let's just respect that your Presbyterian church doesn't mean anything about mine.

There is nothing more that you have to do than tell the truth and ask forgiveness. As a believer every decision you make should be dependent on what God wants regardless of what people think about it. If they forgive you as they should heartily do, then great. If they don't, God still forgives you and you are seen as clean by him and that is what matters. It is great that you are learning a lot in your new environment, but remember you are only living when you are living for God only. When you only live for God then he takes care of the people and situations around you and you don't have to worry. We are to walk by faith, not by sight, trusting God with all our situations, not looking at the situations and then deciding what to do. The bible tells us that God is love. A believer acting from God's Spirit will love and forgive you, but if a believer doesn't, it is more important that you were concerned with what God wants, then maintaining an outward appearance which is of no value to God or yourself and is damaging because sin harms us. When we repent, we separate ourselves from the sin and the blood of Jesus makes us clean. However, many sins, even though we are clean and given a new start cause consequences that we should take responsibility for. Nevertheless, we are free of the spriritual burden because we are confident when we repent because we remember Jesus has paid for our sins so we are truley clean.

Tell me: why do you feel you have a need to be baptized? If you don't know it's (baptism's) importance, then your first step is to find out its significance. I can assure you that most professing Christians are in the same boat as you, as far as knowing its importance and significance.
Next (which is actually first), put aside your pride and confess that you NEED to be baptized. That's right. One DOESN'T HAVE to be baptized: one needs to be baptized! The Apostle Peter, full of the Holy Spirit, declared: "Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the NAME of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Listen carefully now: baptism by itself cannot save you: but no man can be saved without (by rejecting) baptism. Pray and ask the Lord.

Back