I question the omniscience of God

How do you explain what situation Juk?
I still don't see anything that indicates God doesn't know what will happen in the future. Please give some details as I am obviously a bit dense!

Our brother Juk is a very young believer (12 I think was said). I think he is trying to say what he is thinking but it just isn't coming out like that.

There are Bible verses that says that God is perfect in knowledge. But how do you explain the situations above?

That was my second post. I knew that God was truly perfect I knowledge, but some things made me question it for a moment.

My little brother. God bless you for trying to become knowledgeable in Christian beliefs and theology. You are asking questions and using terminology that I did not use in my 1st year of college. My hat is off to you sir!

Just as a thought, have you considered the basics of Christianity? Maybe working from the bottom up instead of the top down?

Personally I recommend that you begin with the gospel of John. Have you read the book of John????
He is the one Bible writer who will talk about every one of your questions in the course of his book.

My little brother. God bless you for trying to become knowledgeable in Christian beliefs and theology. You are asking questions and using terminology that I did not use in my 1st year of college. My hat is off to you sir!

Just as a thought, have you considered the basics of Christianity? Maybe working from the bottom up instead of the top down?

Personally I recommend that you begin with the gospel of John. Have you read the book of John????
He is the one Bible writer who will talk about every one of your questions in the course of his book.
Yes, I have studied the basics of Christian theology. Trust me, if I did not take the time to understand God, I would not be a Christian right now.

I just want to say, I think its awesome that you're even interested in theology at your age. I didn't even k ow what omniscience meant at your age lol.

First, as stated before, God created time and space, and is outside of both. He can see all of history at once, he's not trapped inside of time like us. Nothing has or will happen that he's not aware of already.

I think what has you confused is thinking that, first, because things may look to you or me like they went wrong, or didn't go according to plan (people becoming evil, resulting in the judgement of the flood) God didn't know it was going to happen in the first place or that it wasn't his plan all along. And second, that because Abraham had to choose whether or not to proceed with the sacrifice of his son, that God must not have known what Abraham would do.

Just because there may be different possible outcomes to a situation (Abraham), or just because it seems to us that God could have prevented something from happening and it wasn't what he wanted, doesn't mean that's the case.

Think of the cross. First, something seemingly terrible happening (God, in Christ, being wrongfully executed as a criminal) was exactly according to God's plan, and it was actually the greatest thing that has ever happened in all of history. Also, the Jews reaction to Jesus, Judas's betrayal, Pilate's involvement, the trial of Jesus, His sentencing. All of these events could have went another way, and seem to be left up to the human's decision, but God was in control the whole way, guiding everything to happen according to His plan.

It's one of the greatest mysteries of the Bible, and of the nature of God and Man (human free will / God's providence or guiding of history), but somehow, while it seems like history is determined only by the decisions of men, God is actually guiding things according to His plans.

Stay in the word, young friend. Once you grow in your knowledge of scripture, you will see it will begin to answer itself.
I could tell that the cross was all a part of God's plan. I don't think that the Jews were THAT desperately evil to execute Jesus wrongly when they clearly knew that He was right and the Son of God. But maybe that is why God chose Israel to be His chosen people. They have been evil the whole way, even from the Exodus.

I could tell that the cross was all a part of God's plan. I don't think that the Jews were THAT desperately evil to execute Jesus wrongly when they clearly knew that He was right and the Son of God. But maybe that is why God chose Israel to be His chosen people. They have been evil the whole way, even from the Exodus.
Well, the Jews who would be responsible for the charges against and murder of Jesus actually DIDN'T know or believe that's who he was. They believed he was a blasphemer for claiming to be, because there hearts were hardened beyond the point of recognizing who He really was, though they saw Him in the flesh.

But I agree, what people could God have used to better show his mercy, his patience and his faithfulness despite their rebellion.

In His own words, the Jews were a stubborn and stiff-necked people.

One of the most helpful things (apart from the Bible itself) for me in my growing in the knowledge and understanding of God has been the book "Knowing God", by J. I. Packer. In each chapter he deals with different aspects of who God is, and though its theologically dense stuff, its very readable, and he shows how each topic or doctrine fits into and shapes our daily walk with God. I wouldn't usually recommend this book to a 12 year old but you might just be ready for it.. It will definitely answer your questions, and he backs up every point he makes with the Bible.

It has been seriously helpful and influential to millions of Christians since it came out, even some of the most influential Christian leaders of our time have been greatly impacted by it. This book played a big part in helping me to see and comprehend the greatness of God, especially some of the aspects that are more difficult for us to deal with.

God bless you young brother. I'll keep an eye on this thread, if you have any questions or concerns I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. We need more young people like yourself who take a serious interest in understanding the word of God. We're never too young to start taking God seriously.

Reactions: Juk
Well, the Jews who would be responsible for the charges against and murder of Jesus actually DIDN'T know or believe that's who he was. They believed he was a blasphemer for claiming to be, because there hearts were hardened beyond the point of recognizing who He really was, though they saw Him in the flesh.

But I agree, what people could God have used to better show his mercy, his patience and his faithfulness despite their rebellion.

In His own words, the Jews were a stubborn and stiff-necked people.

One of the most helpful things (apart from the Bible itself) for me in my growing in the knowledge and understanding of God has been the book "Knowing God", by J. I. Packer. In each chapter he deals with different aspects of who God is, and though its theologically dense stuff, its very readable, and he shows how each topic or doctrine fits into and shapes our daily walk with God. I wouldn't usually recommend this book to a 12 year old but you might just be ready for it.. It will definitely answer your questions, and he backs up every point he makes with the Bible.

It has been seriously helpful and influential to millions of Christians since it came out, even some of the most influential Christian leaders of our time have been greatly impacted by it. This book played a big part in helping me to see and comprehend the greatness of God, especially some of the aspects that are more difficult for us to deal with.

God bless you young brother. I'll keep an eye on this thread, if you have any questions or concerns I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. We need more young people like yourself who take a serious interest in understanding the word of God. We're never too young to start taking God seriously.
I have also been doing a study of God recently. You can find some of my studies on earlier threads.
I cannot go back to my earlier life. I am already too deep into Christ but not where I want to be. So I cannot go back to my previous life of vanity.

I have also been doing a study of God recently. You can find some of my studies on earlier threads.
I cannot go back to my earlier life. I am already too deep into Christ but not where I want to be. So I cannot go back to my previous life of vanity.

That's a wise way to see your life before Christ. I'll look through the forum and check out some of the stuff you've posted.

Trust me, we'll NEVER be where we'd like to be, as far as growth in both knowledge and Christ-likeness (even the apostle Paul knew he wasn't perfect as he'd liked to have been), but that's because there'll always be more room to grow and more to learn about God. Every time I thought I'd seen all there was to see in the Gospel, it's like the roof and walls of my thinking eventually get blown off and I realize I've only barely scratched the surface. Let it be a hunger and a thirst that you spend your life quenching. If not, you'll spend it trying to quench it with something else–whether its money, power, relationships, etc.. Something will come and try to fill that void.

And If you haven't already, eventually you will (EVERYONE does) experience stretches of time, sometimes maybe a year or even more, where your faith feels weak, doubts run rampant (especially with the garbage kids are exposed to if they go to public school), obedience seems impossible, or this life of following Christ will will in some way lose it's appeal, and that life of vanity (great choice of words btw) may start to seem more and more appealing, as if there's something about it that can satisfy you more than Christ can.

Just remember the wise words of yours here. Life without God will always turn out to be nothing but emptiness. Before I found Christ, I wasted a decade of my life as a useless drug addict, constantly trying to quench this thirst or hunger I had inside of me I couldn't put my finger on. Needless to say, it all led to emptiness, and there's a million different paths that will all take you to that same place, eventually.

The only path that won't, and that can actually satisfy that hunger humans have is Jesus Christ. I wasted a lot of time looking elsewhere, so these days I just try to let others learn from my mistakes every chance I get. Preach the Gospel to yourself everyday. The best advice I've heard about studying the things of God is this.. "The Gospel isn’t one class among many that you’ll attend during your life as a Christian–the gospel is the whole building where all the classes take place!" When you feel like it's time to move on in the Christian life to learning some "deeper stuff", take it right back to the cross of Christ. No matter what part of the Bible you're studying, be sure to view it through the lens of the of the Gospel. Any study of theology that doesn't lead us to the cross is done in vain. Let every study or thought you think of God be soaked in Gospel. It's the key to EVERY part of the Christian life–The grace of God in the Gospel is just as much the cause of growth and sanctification as it is justification. Rightly understanding this changed my life.

Sorry for going on and on lol, but you seem to be a wise young dude, and it's not often that I get to talk with someone your age who is taking the things of God seriously. It's awesome to see.

Reactions: Juk
That's a wise way to see your life before Christ. I'll look through the forum and check out some of the stuff you've posted.

Trust me, we'll NEVER be where we'd like to be, as far as growth in both knowledge and Christ-likeness (even the apostle Paul knew he wasn't perfect as he'd liked to have been), but that's because there'll always be more room to grow and more to learn about God. Every time I thought I'd seen all there was to see in the Gospel, it's like the roof and walls of my thinking eventually get blown off and I realize I've only barely scratched the surface. Let it be a hunger and a thirst that you spend your life quenching. If not, you'll spend it trying to quench it with something else–whether its money, power, relationships, etc.. Something will come and try to fill that void.

And If you haven't already, eventually you will (EVERYONE does) experience stretches of time, sometimes maybe a year or even more, where your faith feels weak, doubts run rampant (especially with the garbage kids are exposed to if they go to public school), obedience seems impossible, or this life of following Christ will will in some way lose it's appeal, and that life of vanity (great choice of words btw) may start to seem more and more appealing, as if there's something about it that can satisfy you more than Christ can.

Just remember the wise words of yours here. Life without God will always turn out to be nothing but emptiness. Before I found Christ, I wasted a decade of my life as a useless drug addict, constantly trying to quench this thirst or hunger I had inside of me I couldn't put my finger on. Needless to say, it all led to emptiness, and there's a million different paths that will all take you to that same place, eventually.

The only path that won't, and that can actually satisfy that hunger humans have is Jesus Christ. I wasted a lot of time looking elsewhere, so these days I just try to let others learn from my mistakes every chance I get. Preach the Gospel to yourself everyday. The best advice I've heard about studying the things of God is this.. "The Gospel isn’t one class among many that you’ll attend during your life as a Christian–the gospel is the whole building where all the classes take place!" When you feel like it's time to move on in the Christian life to learning some "deeper stuff", take it right back to the cross of Christ. No matter what part of the Bible you're studying, be sure to view it through the lens of the of the Gospel. Any study of theology that doesn't lead us to the cross is done in vain. Let every study or thought you think of God be soaked in Gospel. It's the key to EVERY part of the Christian life–The grace of God in the Gospel is just as much the cause of growth and sanctification as it is justification. Rightly understanding this changed my life.

Sorry for going on and on lol, but you seem to be a wise young dude, and it's not often that I get to talk with someone your age who is taking the things of God seriously. It's awesome to see.
My English teacher has recently been discussing things like the origin of the world. He is telling my naive classmates that we evolved and that the big bang is true! I told my classmate not to listen to what he is saying. Most of my classmates claim to know Jesus, but they clearly do not. I wish they did.
And I never thought about putting the Gospel in every part of my studies. But it seems like a great idea.
The Bible also says that everyone know God and specifically Jesus exists, but they dismiss the thoughts and desires.
Thank you for the advice and compliments!

Last edited:
Eph 1:4-5 NIV For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will.

Does this passage teach that our salvation is strictly a matter of God’s arbitrary election, settled before the world was made, irrespective of any choice that we might exercise in the matter?

This concept makes void every passage in the Bible that teaches human responsibility. If one’s eternal destiny was sealed from the beginning of time, what is the purpose of preaching to the lost? The key phrase in Ephesians 1:4 is “in him.” It was not the case that God chose certain individuals to be either saved or lost; rather, the Lord foreordained that a certain class of persons would be saved. What sort of class? Those who submit to Heaven’s divine plan of redemption, which, in this dispensation, involves obeying Jesus Christ (Hebrews 5:8-9), and entering into that relationship that is described as being “in him” (cf. Galatians 3:26-27). To say the same thing in another way, before the world’s foundation, God elected to save those who would be obedient to His Son. Underline “chose us in him,” and record this comment: Not individual election, but class election.

Back