II Sam 24 Question

Very interesting comments! I thought of just adding my comments here. I think it boils down to this question - If God is sovereign, does it mean God is responsible for evil? By permitting evil, is God causing evil or being responsible for evil? One thing that helped me on this question is to understand what sin is. What evil is. Sin is basically falling short of God's standard. Not meeting moral standards of God. Sin is not a thing or spirit or being to be created. Sin was not created by God. Sin was not created by lucifer. Sin is basically lack of moral standards. Lucifer first showed this. And then it was Adam and Eve. As we came through Adam and Eve, we are born with sin. With this, it should be clear that God does not cause sin or God is not responsible for sin. Everyone sin by not meeting the moral standards of God. The second part is, only God is able to save people from Sin. Only God is able to limit the ramifications of sin (death itself). Why does God still allow sin to exist if He has complete authority over forgiveness of sin? For this I don't know if there is an answer. We cannot make God responsible for evil because He does not stop it. Why He does not stop it? Probably the only way Bible addresses this through Paul - Can clay question potter?

NO!

Scripture tells us that when God was through with Creation He said...……"It is very good".

James 1:13 says that...………
:"God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone" .

1 John 1:5 tells us that...…….
."God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all".

Then in 1 Corth. 14:33 we are told that...……….
"God is not the author of confusion".

Now if that is true, and as I Bible believer I know that it is, then God cannot in any way be the author of evil.

So then where did evil come from????? Evil originates not from God but from the fallen creature.

Romans 5:12...………..
"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned".

WE are the ones responsible!!!!! Sin is a lack of moral perfection in a fallen creature. Fallen creatures themselves bear full responsibility for their sin. And all evil in the universe emanates from the sins of fallen creatures who have made the choice to disobey God.

Very interesting comments! I thought of just adding my comments here. I think it boils down to this question - If God is sovereign, does it mean God is responsible for evil? By permitting evil, is God causing evil or being responsible for evil? One thing that helped me on this question is to understand what sin is. What evil is. Sin is basically falling short of God's standard. Not meeting moral standards of God. Sin is not a thing or spirit or being to be created. Sin was not created by God. Sin was not created by lucifer. Sin is basically lack of moral standards. Lucifer first showed this. And then it was Adam and Eve. As we came through Adam and Eve, we are born with sin. With this, it should be clear that God does not cause sin or God is not responsible for sin. Everyone sin by not meeting the moral standards of God. The second part is, only God is able to save people from Sin. Only God is able to limit the ramifications of sin (death itself). Why does God still allow sin to exist if He has complete authority over forgiveness of sin? For this I don't know if there is an answer. We cannot make God responsible for evil because He does not stop it. Why He does not stop it? Probably the only way Bible addresses this through Paul - Can clay question potter?
I don't believe anything can supersede the fact of God and his Sovereignty over the whole of his creation and will for it.
Can we agree that the definition of sin, the construct of sin, was created by God? Because sin, which is lawlessness, (1 John 3:4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.) , is defined as such because God first defined His laws. And thus that which is non-compliance to His laws.

Isaiah 45:5
I am the Lord, and there is no other;
there is no God but me.
I will strengthen[c] you,
though you do not know me,
6 so that all may know from the rising of the sun to its setting
that there is no one but me.
I am the Lord, and there is no other.
7 I form light and create darkness,
I make success and create disaster;
I am the Lord, who does all these things.

I don't believe anything can supersede the fact of God and his Sovereignty over the whole of his creation and will for it.
Can we agree that the definition of sin, the construct of sin, was created by God? Because sin, which is lawlessness, (1 John 3:4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.) , is defined as such because God first defined His laws. And thus that which is non-compliance to His laws.

there is no God but me.
yes, that should be right. God defined the moral standards - as we would call it Law. Along with that sin is defined (not created or caused).

Aren't we getting into the "Freedom of Choice" doctrine?
I've never heard of the freedom of choice doctrine. I conducted a search and can't find any references to that either.

Also, one of the things that might help us in this conversation is that the Hebrew word used in Gen. 22:1 as "Tempted" is actually the word NACAH which means to "Try or prove, assay or put to the proof or test".

So then when we read the story we see that God did not intend for Abraham to kill Issac but Abraham did not know that and he was going to kill his son.
As we read the account of the event, we note that God did not intend Abraham to complete the sacrifice of Isaac. Abraham believed God would raise him from the dead. So then we have this...……"Abraham was "TRIED" instead of Tempted.
That speaks then of an evualation of someone or thing.

So then when we come to James 1:13.....he gives a guiding principle:
no one has the right to say that he has been tempted “of God.” The word “of” is essential to our understanding this statement, because it indicates the origin of something.

Temptations to sin do not originate with God. James concludes: God cannot be tempted with evil, and God does not tempt anyone to sin.

Another important word in this discussion is found in James 1:3 ...……..
“My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into various trials; Knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.”

The Greek word translated “trials” denotes trouble, or something that breaks the pattern of peace, comfort, joy and happiness in someone’s life. The verb form of this word means “to put someone or something to the test,” with the purpose of discovering that person’s nature or that thing’s quality. God brings such tests to prove—and increase—the strength and quality of one’s faith and to demonstrate its validity (vv. 2-12). So, according to James, when we face temptations, God’s purpose is to prove our faith and produce character. That is a high, good, noble motive.
(https://www.gotquestions.org/God-tempt-us-to-sin.html)

Are there temptations which are designed to make us fail? Yes, but they do not come from God—they come from Satan (Matt. 4:1), his evil angels (Eph. 6:12), and as I stated already, from ourselves (Rom 13:14, Gal. 5:13). God allows us to experience them, and they are allowed for our benefit. God told Abraham to offer Isaac—the temptation was not intended to get Abraham to sin, but to test and prove his faith.
I think first we must realize that when speaking of the New Testament that the Hebrew words do not apply because the NT was written in Greek.
Further, we are told by God in His word that we are not to tempt the Lord our God. Further, in insisting God allows temptation, while overshadowing the scripture that tells us God tempts no one, is to ignore that fact that for God to allow temptation He must give license to the Temptor. Which is Lucifer. The rebuttal that we are led by our own desires does not obfuscate those scriptures that have been offered to suggest Lucifer tempts us with God's permission.
So again, it is a matter of suggesting a collaboration to that end. Which again makes for the question that if one in every sense defends that paradigm they are then hard pressed to explain why at the end of days the Temptor Collaborator with God is banished to Hell with his fallen angels for all time.

[quote[]As for Judas, John 13:2 says............….
It was not God but...…….
"The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus.

Instead of resisting, Judas yielded to that satanic influence.

In any case, Judas had the full capacity of making his choice—at least up to the point where John 13:27 says that “Satan entered into him” —and God’s foreknowledge in no way supersedes Judas’ ability to make any given choice. Rather, what Judas would choose eventually, God saw as if it was a present observation, and Jesus made it clear that Judas was responsible for his choice and would be held accountable for it.

Mark 14:18......……...
“I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me”.

Notice that Jesus characterizes Judas’ participation as a betrayal. And regarding accountability for this betrayal Jesus said in Mark 14:21.....
“Woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born”.

Satan, too, had a part in this, as we see in John 13:26-27, and he, too, will be held accountable for his deeds. God in His wisdom was able, as always, to manipulate even Satan’s rebellion for the benefit of mankind. Satan helped send Jesus to the cross, and on the cross sin and death were defeated, and now God’s provision of salvation is freely available to all who receive Jesus Christ as Savior.
https://www.gotquestions.org/God-tempt-us-to-sin.html)[/quote] I'm aware of those scriptures. However, it doesn't answer the question I posed.
Jesus knew Judas intent during the last supper. This is why he told him after to go and do what he must do. Must do.
The question has always been, how else would Jesus have been crucified were it not for Judas doing his part to fulfill God's plan? Jesus told his accusers that He could call upon the Father to save him from his suffering and that fate. Matthew 26.

Further, Judas repented of his actions. He returned the silver to the temple, he repented and then he hanged himself. Knowing the scripture that forewarned, cursed is anyone who hangs from a tree. Which too is why Jesus permitted himself to be crucified. So that he could be cursed, taking the sins of the whole world upon himself there. 1Peter 2.

However, prior to Jesus dying we can see that Judas and everyone else responsible for Jesus suffering and ultimately being nailed to the cross , was forgiven. "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." Luke 23. Because those people thought they were calling for the execution of a blasphemer. Not knowing they were putting to death the Holy One sent to save them from their sins and the sins of the whole world.
Because all those people were actors in God's will. Had all this not come to pass as it did Jesus would not have fulfilled the purpose for which he was born. To be Savior of the world.

So again, my question to you was, were it not for Judas how else would Jesus have fulfilled his purpose?

Blessings to you my brother.
I'm actually a sister. :cool:
And many blessings surround you and yours as well brother.

I've never heard of the freedom of choice doctrine. I conducted a search and can't find any references to that either.

I think first we must realize that when speaking of the New Testament that the Hebrew words do not apply because the NT was written in Greek.
Further, we are told by God in His word that we are not to tempt the Lord our God. Further, in insisting God allows temptation, while overshadowing the scripture that tells us God tempts no one, is to ignore that fact that for God to allow temptation He must give license to the Temptor. Which is Lucifer. The rebuttal that we are led by our own desires does not obfuscate those scriptures that have been offered to suggest Lucifer tempts us with God's permission.
So again, it is a matter of suggesting a collaboration to that end. Which again makes for the question that if one in every sense defends that paradigm they are then hard pressed to explain why at the end of days the Temptor Collaborator with God is banished to Hell with his fallen angels for all time.

[quote[]As for Judas, John 13:2 says............….
It was not God but...…….
"The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus.

Instead of resisting, Judas yielded to that satanic influence.

In any case, Judas had the full capacity of making his choice—at least up to the point where John 13:27 says that “Satan entered into him” —and God’s foreknowledge in no way supersedes Judas’ ability to make any given choice. Rather, what Judas would choose eventually, God saw as if it was a present observation, and Jesus made it clear that Judas was responsible for his choice and would be held accountable for it.

Mark 14:18......……...
“I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me”.

Notice that Jesus characterizes Judas’ participation as a betrayal. And regarding accountability for this betrayal Jesus said in Mark 14:21.....
“Woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born”.

Satan, too, had a part in this, as we see in John 13:26-27, and he, too, will be held accountable for his deeds. God in His wisdom was able, as always, to manipulate even Satan’s rebellion for the benefit of mankind. Satan helped send Jesus to the cross, and on the cross sin and death were defeated, and now God’s provision of salvation is freely available to all who receive Jesus Christ as Savior.
https://www.gotquestions.org/God-tempt-us-to-sin.html)
I'm aware of those scriptures. However, it doesn't answer the question I posed.
Jesus knew Judas intent during the last supper. This is why he told him after to go and do what he must do. Must do.
The question has always been, how else would Jesus have been crucified were it not for Judas doing his part to fulfill God's plan? Jesus told his accusers that He could call upon the Father to save him from his suffering and that fate. Matthew 26.

Further, Judas repented of his actions. He returned the silver to the temple, he repented and then he hanged himself. Knowing the scripture that forewarned, cursed is anyone who hangs from a tree. Which too is why Jesus permitted himself to be crucified. So that he could be cursed, taking the sins of the whole world upon himself there. 1Peter 2.

However, prior to Jesus dying we can see that Judas and everyone else responsible for Jesus suffering and ultimately being nailed to the cross , was forgiven. "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." Luke 23. Because those people thought they were calling for the execution of a blasphemer. Not knowing they were putting to death the Holy One sent to save them from their sins and the sins of the whole world.
Because all those people were actors in God's will. Had all this not come to pass as it did Jesus would not have fulfilled the purpose for which he was born. To be Savior of the world.

So again, my question to you was, were it not for Judas how else would Jesus have fulfilled his purpose?

I'm actually a sister. :cool:
And many blessings surround you and yours as well brother.
[/QUOTE]

I am So very sorry about that. I should have considered your profile but I didn't so please forgive me.

Actually the Freedom of Choice would be better said as …"Freewill of Man".

So then, if “free will” means that God gives humans the opportunity to make choices that genuinely affect their destiny, then yes, human beings do have a free will. The world’s current sinful state is directly linked to choices made by Adam and Eve. God created mankind in His own image, and that included the ability to choose.

If you just think about it for a minute I think that you will agree that our lives are simply a prolonged set of "Choices".
We choose our mate. We choose or job. We choose what car we own. We choose what we will eat. We choose where we go to church. I think you can see where that leads to.

However, free will does not mean that we can do anything we ant to do. Our choices are limited to what is in keeping with our nature. For example, a man may choose to walk across a bridge or not to walk across it; what he may not choose is to fly over the bridge—his nature prevents him from flying. In a similar way, a man cannot choose to make himself righteous—his (sin) nature prevents him from canceling his guilt .

So, free will is limited by nature.

Then as for Judas, If it had not been Judas, then it would have been someone else and yes, God would have know about him as well.

That is the "paradox" of God's pre-knowledge and predestination. God knows, but we choose. God knew what Judas would do and Judas choose to do what he did.

Now this is just my own opinion but I think that what Judas did is something that he started a long time before the actual event.

It is a blessing to talk with you in such a Christlike manner.

Last edited:

there is no God but me.

In my opinion I think that you are saying the right thing.

We know that God created men and angels with a free will,.

That being the case and I believe that it is, and, if a being has a free will, then there is at least the potential that he will choose badly.

So then it seems to me that the potential for sin was a risk God took. He created human beings in His image, and, since He is free, humans were created free, as well.

Free will then involves the ability to choose, and, after God communicated the moral standard, He gave the man a true choice.

So then I agree with you that God provided the opportunity to sin, but He did not create or instigate sin. Having the opportunity was good; because without it, human beings would be little more than robots.

In my opinion I think that you are saying the right thing.

We know that God created men and angels with a free will,.

That being the case and I believe that it is, and, if a being has a free will, then there is at least the potential that he will choose badly.

So then it seems to me that the potential for sin was a risk God took. He created human beings in His image, and, since He is free, humans were created free, as well.

Free will then involves the ability to choose, and, after God communicated the moral standard, He gave the man a true choice.

So then I agree with you that God provided the opportunity to sin, but He did not create or instigate sin. Having the opportunity was good; because without it, human beings would be little more than robots.
I completely agree. And this is where our human wisdom stops. And it was not a gamble on God's side. He was not taking a chance. He exactly knew that lucifer would sin. Lucifer is a created being. So God knew what lucifer would knew. And God created Adam and Even with complete foreknowledge of their fall. If God knew humans are not capable of using free will, why even create them at the first place? Or why create with opportunity to sin? And it is not simple foreknowledge on God's part. It is not that He simply knows the future. He is The One who defines the future. It is not like God created Adam and Even and hoped that they would not sin. I guess these questions are beyond human comprehension. The more I think of these things, the more I am amazed about the Cross. Such a God would send His Son to die for me on the Cross? He loves me so much? The me is every believer here. Way over human wisdom or knowledge!! God bless you brother

I completely agree. And this is where our human wisdom stops. And it was not a gamble on God's side. He was not taking a chance. He exactly knew that lucifer would sin. Lucifer is a created being. So God knew what lucifer would knew. And God created Adam and Even with complete foreknowledge of their fall. If God knew humans are not capable of using free will, why even create them at the first place? Or why create with opportunity to sin? And it is not simple foreknowledge on God's part. It is not that He simply knows the future. He is The One who defines the future. It is not like God created Adam and Even and hoped that they would not sin. I guess these questions are beyond human comprehension. The more I think of these things, the more I am amazed about the Cross. Such a God would send His Son to die for me on the Cross? He loves me so much? The me is every believer here. Way over human wisdom or knowledge!! God bless you brother

I am blessed that we agree. Actually it is not an essential to our Christian faith but I am glad we are on the same page.

You see, if we think this through very carefully, if we are wrong on this, then Jesus would have been plan B and we know that could never ever be the case.

We know that from the Scriptures, The Father allowed the Son to be the agent of humanities salvation before there was a sinner to be saved.

II Timothy 1:9
"[God] hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began . . ."

1 Peter 1:18-20...……….
" He, Christ indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you”.

Jesus was not a 2nd string after thought of God! He was always God's 1st and best choice!

AMEN??????

Back