I'm not suicidal, but...

Nkdo from what I understand of scripture Christ came to save sinner's. But at same time we still live in a fallen body and a fallen world until the appointed time. Yes there are certain things that can bring us temporary happiness. A happy marriage a secure income a home etc. but those things are only temporary and may remain with us for a full life. But often they don’t. The reality that we have to grasp is that God paid a price for you no matter how poor or destitute we may feel or seem. You and each of his children are very special to God. You have been brought at great price paid for in his blood ❤️ All God wants from us is a relationship and our love. We must go with boldness and confidence in the world we presently llive firmly knowing that He that is in us is greater than he that be of the world. Jesus did say . Lo. I am with you always even unto the end of the world. When thinking upon your situation I do think upon Alexander Solzhenitsyn upon his time in a gulag . He wrote these astounding words of his memories of imprisonment there. View attachment 11129

Hello Prim90;

There was a Christian Russian prisoner who was jailed years ago and through his faith the whole prison turned to Christ. It was a very moving true story but I can't remember his name. He was extremely down and out but at some point he was also released and rejoined to his family.

Do you happen to recall? Or can you do the leg work because you're good at quick research and find out for me? lol!

If so I owe you. 😎 👍

God bless
you, sister, and thank you.

Hello Prim90;

There was a Christian Russian prisoner who was jailed years ago and through his faith the whole prison turned to Christ. It was a very moving true story but I can't remember his name. He was extremely down and out but at some point he was also released and rejoined to his family.

Do you happen to recall? Or can you do the leg work because you're good at quick research and find out for me? lol!

If so I owe you. 😎 👍

God bless
Bob the Richard Wurmbrand did write very much about the communist era. You might find something about it there in the ( the voice of the martyrs website) But I not come across any such conversion of a entire prison converting to Christianity in Russia.Though Russia was very open to all religions for a time from the 90’s onwards more so with the Orthodox church becoming legal. But that sort of changed around 2015 with I think only 4 religions including the Orthodox Church being officially recognised as being one of the 4 religions. So it’s very much possible considering many people free or incarcerated alike just returned to their original Orthodox faith with the collapse of the communist system.

Last edited:
Hi rikdo
From the day you joined here you are part of the CFS family. When one is hurting we all feel it.
Depression is a very lonely thing to go through, and I am so pleased you are talking about it now.

We all need each other.

God Bless you.

Bob the Richard Wurmbrand did write very much about the communist era. You might find something about it there in the ( the voice of the martyrs website) But I not come across any such conversion of a entire prison converting to Christianity in Russia.Though Russia was very open to all religions for a time from the 90’s onwards more so with the Orthodox church becoming legal. But that sort of changed around 2015 with I think only 4 religions including the Orthodox Church being officially recognised as being one of the 4 religions. So it’s very much possible considering many people free or incarcerated alike just returned to their original Orthodox faith with the collapse of the communist system.

Hello Prim90;

I remembered my professor from seminary showed this movie to the class. We were studying the mindset of Christians when they are under the most undesirable experiences. I'll try to reach out to him.

God bless you.

Heavenly Father... I thank you for this beautiful day that you have made...

I thank you for these forums that are like a REFUGE for many to come and REST.
I thank you that we are all FAMILY because of JESUS... and I thank you that you care for each and every one of us
so tenderly and deeply.

Father... I ask that you would touch rikdo with your healing grace. Grant him strength to persevere and to hold his head high towards the hills ( where His help cometh from ). Help him to get through these tough days of not feeling as one should feel regarding life and other issues. Bring his spirit to a place of PEACE and KNOWING that you are GOD... and that YOU love HIM personally. Continue to fill him with MERCY that flows from your Throne Room...

Holy Spirit I ask you to SPEAK to his spirit... Speak LIFE....speak HOPE.... speak JOY to overflowing that his heart might have time to rest and recharge with energy.

Continue the good work that you have begun FATHER. I thank you... I praise you and I WORSHIP your most HOLY NAME. In Jesus our precious Lord and Saviour... I pray.

If you don't mind rikdo... I'd like to hang out on your thread for a bit... Post some scripture that has comforted me greatly in the past and maybe some other things that I think might be of a blessing to you.
We are called ( actually commanded ) to take care of and love one another... It's very difficult to do this with words and at a distance... but I do think it is possible with prayer to transfer this concern and tenderness that we so desperately need when things are difficult.
So... I just want you to know that I understand this is a problem that will not take care of itself in a day or week or maybe even months. This is a long term reality for many of us who suffer with some sort of mental illness. I would like to think ( and I do consider) these forums to be like a real church... We have to work harder at making our hearts known because we ONLY have our WORDS... but those words ( I believe ) can make a big difference.

The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” ~Zephaniah 3:17

Even though I had NO CLUE how this was even possible... I took much comfort in thinking that God might be rejoicing over me. The JOY I have is rather new... as it's only been 3 years since I was healed... however... I have experienced that HE does QUIET me ( makes me STILL to know that HE Is GOD ) with His Love.

I am going to pray this over you for the next week. I think those of us who have suffered so deeply and so long.. become experts at hiding how sad and filled with sorrow and lack of hope we really are experiencing. it's not something that we can simply explain and in this day and age... people are not generally good with long term issues. We are expected to get over it rather quickly. GOD knows what is going on with you... HE hears your cries... and HE is with YOU... even if you cannot feel HIM... HE IS WITH YOU.

Hello Prim90;

I remembered my professor from seminary showed this movie to the class. We were studying the mindset of Christians when they are under the most undesirable experiences. I'll try to reach out to him.

God bless you.
Bob be nice to read about what your professor was alluding to . Seminary would been a long time ago. I look forward to knowing. 🙋🏻‍♀️

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.
9 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”
~Psalm 91

This psalm was often my life-line when I was feeling like I wanted to give up. I hung onto the hope that HE would rescue me. Oh how often... I would weakly call on His Name to RESCUE me from the fowler's snare.
I remember times where I would be looking down that nasty pit of despair... knowing that I would surely not make it for another round of such helpless suffering.

Somehow... this psalm protected me and brought me some much needed comfort.

There is another scripture that states the MERCY of GOD.

A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he has brought justice through to victory.

I am continuing in prayer for you... asking the Lord to bring you great comfort.

I think everybody has been trying to encourage OP which I think is very nice of them. But I think that he mentioned that he is unemployed at the age of 51. I think this is an area where we can truly help him. Help him find what he's good at, what he is meant to do this life. Help him find his vocation. I really think that he will be less depressed if he has a job.

I think everybody has been trying to encourage OP which I think is very nice of them. But I think that he mentioned that he is unemployed at the age of 51. I think this is an area where we can truly help him. Help him find what he's good at, what he is meant to do this life. Help him find his vocation. I really think that he will be less depressed if he has a job.
Good morning Wan. This is a very very GOOD point. You are correct that I was coming at this from a totally different angle.
With severe Chronic Depression.. the reality of keeping a job is almost impossible.

I have been praying for intervention and a breakthrough. God Bless you Wan

These issues of LONG-SUFFERING are very difficult realities of living in a fallen world.

When someone breaks a bone... it heals rather quickly and then life moves on.

This is NOT so with mental illness. There is a balance that needs to happen... and so we need to make sure
that the help we are offering is EFFECTIVE and USEFUL. I do believe that Wan very kindly made that point.

I know for myself... I got to be a very good actress of putting on a front for others to see because I simply got tired
of trying to explain to others that I just was not well.

Perhaps rikdo would be kind enough to list some of the things he would like specific prayer for.

Hello Prim90;

If so I owe you. 😎 👍

God bless
Bob, it might have been the Russian writer Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Another possibility might be the Romanian pastor Richard Wurmbrand.

First, without taking offense at anyone, I'm going to have to object to being described as mentally ill. I've always had a very pessimistic, cynical outlook, with a few brief periods of optimism—which have always proven to be unjustified and seemed foolish in retrospect. And I repeat, I am not offended, just want to clear that up.

Any prayers for me would be appreciated, of course. I just need be able to try something and have it work out long-term, which would be a first. I'm taking a serious look at returning to the US. Not sure exactly where to go. I don't have much reason to favor one particular place over another. Trying to stay away from big cities if possible. Been there, done that (I'm originally from one of the biggest cities in the US). And I'm kind of thinking wait till after the election in November and see if I still want to go back.

First, without taking offense at anyone, I'm going to have to object to being described as mentally ill. I've always had a very pessimistic, cynical outlook, with a few brief periods of optimism—which have always proven to be unjustified and seemed foolish in retrospect. And I repeat, I am not offended, just want to clear that up.

Any prayers for me would be appreciated, of course. I just need be able to try something and have it work out long-term, which would be a first. I'm taking a serious look at returning to the US. Not sure exactly where to go. I don't have much reason to favor one particular place over another. Trying to stay away from big cities if possible. Been there, done that (I'm originally from one of the biggest cities in the US). And I'm kind of thinking wait till after the election in November and see if I still want to go back.

Hello brother rikdo;

I'm sorry with all that you're going through in your life as I read and re-read your thread. I understand you're living overseas and have been out of work. Do you know of a Church close to where you live? I've resided in the SF Bay Area for 36 years and you probably can imagine life out here. At the Church where I pastored there were visitors who would stop by during the weekday or Sunday before and after worship service. I would sit with them and listen as they opened up. I offered resources to help give them direction and reach out, including job placement services.
It helped. The Church Pastor in your community will make an appointment with you and have a closed door conversation. Again, I'm sorry to read what you're going through right now, rikdo. My wife and I are lifting you up in our prayers, hang in there.

Hello rikdo;

Thank you for clearing up your situation and we'll continue to pray for your job search. But now that you're considering coming back to the USA, I'll add this to our prayers for you.

God bless
you, rikdo.

Hi rikdo
It's good that you are thinking of the future, and what to do with it. Is it easier to find employment in US?

Praying things go right for you. Prayer can be very powerful.
God Bless

I've spent a shockingly large percentage of my time feeling like I would rather die than live.
Let me be clear: I am not planning on doing anything to end my life.
But I find myself wishing a meteor would hit my house while I'm sleeping, for example.

Life just seems so... pointless. I have no idea what I'm doing here. I've been unemployed for a number of years, unable to get anything going. Everything I try seems to fail. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels, taking up resources for no reason. I have no idea what to do with the rest of my life.

I think about the "blessings" I always thought came with the Christian life. Well, when do they start? When do I "get to the good part"? Not until after death? It must be, because life has been just struggle and dashed hopes, with occasional, brief moments of distraction. So why would I want to go on living even a minute longer than I absolutely have to?

I could compare it to a football game (American football): I feel like it's the middle of the 3rd quarter (I'm a bit over 50). I'm losing 31-3. My starting quarterback and a few other key players are out with injuries. I just want this game to end.

I don't understand when people say things like, "the gift of life", or when they talk about being thankful for each new day, or anything like that. I don't understand anyone who says they're glad to be alive. And I want to ask questions like, "If you believe you're going to heaven, why are you glad to still be here?"

I don't want to make this too much longer, so... any thoughts, anyone?
As you can imagine, it's not a whole lot of fun going through life feeling like this. I can manage to feel optimistic for as long as a couple of weeks now and then, but that's about it.
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate... even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple." {Luke 14:26}

"Blessed are the poor in Spirit, for they shall see God."

God is preparing you to meet Him. He wants you to separate yourself from worldly matters, including the institutional church. You may have the Spirit manifestation (gift) of a prophet.

He is trying to set you apart from the world. In your human condition, this manifests as depression, loneliness, hopelessness, or any of a number of things that make you feel out of place in this life...

You are being called to meet with Him... Ask Him to lead you. To help you teach yourself how to do this, read the Spiritual Maxims, written by Brother Lawrence.

Persevere.........

Back