Is 1000 year period from Revelations metaphorical?

Dear "crossnote". I just read your post and noticed the 365.25 days thing. I am NOT correcting anyone and please feel free to completely ignore this and , Please do not take this is any way other than me just noticing it and wanting you to know this.......In the Bible, Twelve months of 30 days equals 360-days in a prophetic year. I did not know if you were aware of this but the Bible has been written with a "PROPHETIC YEAR" defined as 360 days in length. This is only applied to biblical prophecy.
Thanks Major, I was aware of it but must have been going through one of my 'shower in/out' moments. lol
Anyhow my point was, I was not sure if the duration of the reign was a literal 1000 years but the reign was definitely literal.

Thanks Major, I was aware of it but must have been going through one of my 'shower in/out' moments. lol
Anyhow my point was I was not sure if the duration of the reign was a literal 1000 years but the reign was definitely literal.

I understand. I just didn't want you to think I was being a "got cha" person! I was only wanting to add to your knowledge!
Old age has made That my calling these days.

Revelations 20

20 And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyssand holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge.And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beastor its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second deathhas no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

My simple question is: Is the above all metaphorical?

Thanks

I would offer. . .Metaphorical, the signified language of parables?

I would suggest looking to the opening statement in the book of Revelation it sets the kind of understanding that can be found if we rightly divide. It would seem he knew beforehand the difficulty of finding the meaning hid in the parables in order to teach us how to walk by faith the unseen eternal .

.I would think it is referred to a the hidden manna in chapter 2 or the golden measure, the measure of faith the unseen and not the literal measure of mankind the other witness. . temporal

Revelation 1:1 King James Version (KJV) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it

Revelation 21:15-17 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof. And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal. And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.

According to the golden measure 1444,000 a number no man can count they whole body of Christ. 1000 a metaphor used in parables represents a unknown throughout the bible.

Anyhow my point was, I was not sure if the duration of the reign was a literal 1000 years but the reign was definitely literal.

I am a "literalist" unless the Scriptures themselves tell me that what they are saying is a poem, or prayer or a song or something that is figurative.

The idea of the 1000 years in Revelation 20 is that the word One Thousand is not said one time but FOUR times.

The emphasis therefore to me appears to be on the exact time of the millennial kingdom rather than a figurative interpretation so I agree with you that is will be a literal 1000 years.

Many Old Testament prophets further speak of a time when the Messiah will reign for a long period of time from Jerusalem and no one I know of suggests that those prophies are FIRURITIVELY. . The millennial kingdom will be marked by an ideal environment of peace in Micah 4:2-4, joy in Isaiah 61:7, prosperity in Amos 9:13-15, and comfort in Isaiah 40:1-2. Jerusalem will serve as the leading center of the world in Zechariah 8:3.

These prophecies regarding the future Messiah's reign all require a period of time in order to find a literal fulfillment. The only alternatives would be to dismiss the many specific prophecies regarding the Messiah's future reign conjecture or lies, or to accept an allegorical interpretations of numerous passages that appear to be presented as literal predictions. Based on these options, the most likely scenario is that the millennial kingdom is a literal 1,000-year period during which Jesus Christ will reign from David's throne in Jerusalem.

But that is just me! Feel free to print my comment and place it under your bird cage.

I am a "literalist" unless the Scriptures themselves tell me that what they are saying is a poem, or prayer or a song or something that is figurative.

The idea of the 1000 years in Revelation 20 is that the word One Thousand is not said one time but FOUR times.

The emphasis therefore to me appears to be on the exact time of the millennial kingdom rather than a figurative interpretation so I agree with you that is will be a literal 1000 years.

Many Old Testament prophets further speak of a time when the Messiah will reign for a long period of time from Jerusalem and no one I know of suggests that those prophies are FIRURITIVELY. . The millennial kingdom will be marked by an ideal environment of peace in Micah 4:2-4, joy in Isaiah 61:7, prosperity in Amos 9:13-15, and comfort in Isaiah 40:1-2. Jerusalem will serve as the leading center of the world in Zechariah 8:3.

These prophecies regarding the future Messiah's reign all require a period of time in order to find a literal fulfillment. The only alternatives would be to dismiss the many specific prophecies regarding the Messiah's future reign conjecture or lies, or to accept an allegorical interpretations of numerous passages that appear to be presented as literal predictions. Based on these options, the most likely scenario is that the millennial kingdom is a literal 1,000-year period during which Jesus Christ will reign from David's throne in Jerusalem.

But that is just me! Feel free to print my comment and place it under your bird cage.
Major, I don't deny that it may be 1000 years but what gives me hesitancy rather than dogmatic certainty is that out of many, many occurrences in the O.T. it is never described as lasting 1000 years, plus coupling Peter's assessment of time in 2Pet 3:8 just gives me pause to be gung-ho about '1000'.
Regarding your kind offer, our 30 year old Conure past away last year and besides, he was a bad shot. lol

I am a Covenant premil, so would not be Amil in viewing this, as will be a physical and literal Kingdom Come when Jesus returns!

Major, I don't deny that it may be 1000 years but what gives me hesitancy rather than dogmatic certainty is that out of many, many occurrences in the O.T. it is never described as lasting 1000 years, plus coupling Peter's assessment of time in 2Pet 3:8 just gives me pause to be gung-ho about '1000'.
Regarding your kind offer, our 30 year old Conure past away last year and besides, he was a bad shot. lol
I also am not sure if will be exactly 1000 years, but am sure means will be a real and physical Kingdom here on earth!

Where do you come up with the concept 'golden measure', especially linked to 144,000?
Hi thanks for the reply.I can try. .

It’s something I keep on the back burner. (Without parables Christ the anointing teacher spoke not) purposely hiding the unseen golden gospel understanding.

10 in multiples 100, 1000, 10,000 are used throughout the bile to indicate a unknown .In that way we are not of the number like David who counted the troops revealing he was faithless and not trusting our unseen God. Many died because of the lieral numbering of man. . .

The whole book of Revelation is not only inspired but also signified and represented in the opening verse of Revelation.1:1. It sets the up the kind of understanding found in parables. Signified. . using the temporal seen to give the unseen spiritual understanding of faith . The golden measure .And not the literal measure of man, the temporal they must be mixed .

Revelation 1 King James Version (KJV) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Gold represents faith the unknown throughout the bible beginning in Genesis. The gospel or river of delight going out to the four corners universally. (east, west, south and north

Genesis 2:11 The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.

We search after the hidden meaning as for gold.

A good example is the Ark of the Covenant. The word of God is placed on the outside and like hidden manna the bread of unfamiliarity it reveals the understanding of faith (that inside). With three hidden witnesses . Manna, the tablets and the rod. The golden measure spoken of in Revelation 21.

Deuteronomy 31:25-27 King James Version (KJV) That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying, Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee. For I know thy rebellion, and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the Lord; and how much more after my death?

When the enemy stole the ark God brought a plague through mice. It became a witness against them not having the understanding of faith in that parable they molded golden mice in a hope of pleasing the gods of mice.

The 144, 000 with the tribe of Dan missing represents a number no man can count (the golden measure) .Again using the temporal things seen to give us the unseen understanding.

Our God has not left us a orphans with no way to rightly divide the various parables. If we do not use the prescription then we must look to the literal temporal and not the golden eternal .

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Thousand a metaphor is mixed with the literal 144. 12 times 12. Twelve, representing the authority of God.

Revelation 7:4And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

In verse 4 the number that no man can count is revealed in verse 9 the same entity. It does not change the fact that it represents all the saints new testament as well as old from all nations.

Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

When men try and make it about one nation then they are literalizing the parable and the unseen gospel remains hid in the gold.its something we must search out.

Not a salvation issue but I think more of how can we hear God who works in us?

I would offer my home church where I heard the gospel and believed God had a understanding that caused me to wonder. people all of a sudden mising as if they did not have a corrupted body of clay. Today I lean more towards the Amil camp even in their different varieties or subdivisions .

Six times in the Revelation 20 parable. Nine times throughout the bible each time it is used (thousand years) . . . it is used in the same way “to represent a unknown or concealed” . . . I would say there is no need to know the literal last day . In that way. We walk by faith the unseen.

I don’t think the body of Christ in whom the Spirit of Christ works in and with to both will and empower new creatures (Christians) to do the good pleasure of God . . .that they will literally disappear and then reappear.

On the last day all new creatures will receive the promise of their new incorruptible bodied as revealed in Hebrews 11 all die not receiving. . In 1 John we are informed as sons of God which we are, we are not what we will be.

God works according to His labor of love or called work of faith in every generation of mankind in times and seasons under the sun. .In that way its the dispensation of the gospel not times and seasons. The work was finished on the 6th day

I would offer those who do seek after wonderments are referred to an evil generation. . . non converted natural man (no faith as it is written). To them the gospel meaning is hid in parables the reveler of mysteries like that of Revelation 20 .. Jesus said no sign other than the sign of times. . “History repeating itself” is given just as in the day of Noah. . He will come like a thief in the night on the last day under the Sun . Like Noah we can keep watch but he will still come as a thief on a unknown, thousand days

Psalm 90:4For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Ecclesiastes 6:6Yea, though he live a thousand years twice told, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?

2 Peter 3:8But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The word thousand is used that way in regard to whatever is in veiw. . time, people, food, mountain etc .

Psalm 50:10For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.

Genesis 24:60 And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her, Thou art our sister, be thou the mother of thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them.

Below thousands represent the unseen. . . all

Exodus 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

There are many portions of scripture that reveal to us the word thousand is used as a metaphor in parables. Like the Revelation 20 parable . . . filled with various metaphors to include thousand years.

Hi thanks for the reply.I can try. .

It’s something I keep on the back burner. (Without parables Christ the anointing teacher spoke not) purposely hiding the unseen golden gospel understanding.

10 in multiples 100, 1000, 10,000 are used throughout the bile to indicate a unknown .In that way we are not of the number like David who counted the troops revealing he was faithless and not trusting our unseen God. Many died because of the lieral numbering of man. . .

The whole book of Revelation is not only inspired but also signified and represented in the opening verse of Revelation.1:1. It sets the up the kind of understanding found in parables. Signified. . using the temporal seen to give the unseen spiritual understanding of faith . The golden measure .And not the literal measure of man, the temporal they must be mixed .

Revelation 1 King James Version (KJV) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

Gold represents faith the unknown throughout the bible beginning in Genesis. The gospel or river of delight going out to the four corners universally. (east, west, south and north

Genesis 2:11 The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.

We search after the hidden meaning as for gold.

A good example is the Ark of the Covenant. The word of God is placed on the outside and like hidden manna the bread of unfamiliarity it reveals the understanding of faith (that inside). With three hidden witnesses . Manna, the tablets and the rod. The golden measure spoken of in Revelation 21.

Deuteronomy 31:25-27 King James Version (KJV) That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying, Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee. For I know thy rebellion, and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the Lord; and how much more after my death?

When the enemy stole the ark God brought a plague through mice. It became a witness against them not having the understanding of faith in that parable they molded golden mice in a hope of pleasing the gods of mice.

The 144, 000 with the tribe of Dan missing represents a number no man can count (the golden measure) .Again using the temporal things seen to give us the unseen understanding.

Our God has not left us a orphans with no way to rightly divide the various parables. If we do not use the prescription then we must look to the literal temporal and not the golden eternal .

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Thousand a metaphor is mixed with the literal 144. 12 times 12. Twelve, representing the authority of God.

Revelation 7:4And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

In verse 4 the number that no man can count is revealed in verse 9 the same entity. It does not change the fact that it represents all the saints new testament as well as old from all nations.

Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

When men try and make it about one nation then they are literalizing the parable and the unseen gospel remains hid in the gold.its something we must search out.
I didn't see any scriptural backup in your explanation, but ok, never mind.

I didn't see any scriptural backup in your explanation, but ok, never mind.

Did you search out the word "thousand" as to how it is used throughout the Bible and how the word thousand works with time or whatever is in veiw.

The first two uses of the word thousand identify it as signified as shown in both parables.

Genesis 20:16 And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved.

There a thousand pieces equals Abraham who typifies our heavenly father of all nations the giver of gifts . The blessing of the spiritual gospel seed Christ was handed down through Rebekah . She is represented as the mother of us all .The freed woman or bride of Christ (Galatians 4)

Genesis 24:60 And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her, Thou art our sister, be thou the mother of thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them.

Makes a great study when looking at the signified understanding found in parables. Parables in that way teach us how to walk by faith using the things seen, the temporal to give us His unseen, eternal understanding. .

Revelation 1:1 King James Version (KJV) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

I would think first mention of a doctrine would set the understanding of the not only inspired but signified word of God. the language of parables which without Christ spoke not.

I don't think he informs us of the kind of understanding and then say just literalize it as if it was not signified and don’t search for the understanding.

By two or three witnesses a doctrine is confirmed..

Psalm 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Ecclesiastes 6:6Yea, though he live a thousand yearst twice told, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

A literal thousand years is a thousand literal thousand years .

The question I would ask why literlize the parable, the signified tongue of prohecy ?

There a thousand pieces equals Abraham who typifies our heavenly father of all nations the giver of gifts .
Types and their interpretation are in the eyes of the beholder, unless inspired of God, as in the case you sited here below...
She is represented as the mother of us all .The freed woman or bride of Christ (Galatians 4)
The early Church Fathers, inspired by Plato, fell into allegorizing nearly every thing. As an example...

Origen (185-254 A.D.) on the “Parable of the Good Samaritan”

The man who fell among thieves is Adam. As Jerusalem represents heaven, so Jericho, to which the traveller journeyed is the world. The robbers are man’s enemies, the devil and his minions. The priest stands for the Law, the Levite for the prophets. The good Samaritan is Christ himself. The beast on which the wounded man was set, is Christ’s body which bears the fallen Adam. The inn is the Church; the two pence, the Father and the Son; and the Samaritan’s promise to come again, Christ’s Second Advent.
This type of interpretation is highly subjective, fanciful and opens a Pandora Box of all sorts of error.

Types and their interpretation are in the eyes of the beholder, unless inspired of God, as in the case you sited here below...

The early Church Fathers, inspired by Plato, fell into allegorizing nearly every thing. As an example...

This type of interpretation is highly subjective, fanciful and opens a Pandora Box of all sorts of error.

Yep!

One the door of confusion and deception is opened......it is impossible to close.

I believe that it was God who said to Cain..."Why are you so angry, do you not know that SIN lies just on the other side of the DOOR"!

We should do a ;iteral and plain meaning of ther text, taking into account the genres being used!

Now, if it is "metaphorical".....who do you think should be the one who does the interpreting?.Catholics/Mormons?sda ALL
That "belief" is why JW/Mormons/Sda Catholics ALL see their church as having the only and right view of the scriptures!

Back