Is Baptism Necessary?

I know a lot of people on here are different denominations of Christianity so opinions will differ, but I would appreciate if someone could help explain to me why baptism is necessary, if it is? I have tried finding reasons on the internet but I can't find anything that convinces me baptism is necessary.

Baptism in water? Shows you are ready to accept the Lord Jesus in your life and live for Him. When you have truly repented from your old life and don't want to live that way no more. That you want Jesus in your life and to please Him.

Baptism in water? Shows you are ready to accept the Lord Jesus in your life and live for Him. When you have truly repented from your old life and don't want to live that way no more. That you want Jesus in your life and to please Him.
Here's what i don't get. Why would i need to be baptized when Jesus sacrificed himself so that I could be forgiven through repenting? What would be the point in a baptism then? It seems like baptism is an old tradition and maybe it was important back when Jesus was around but now it is not needed because of Jesus's crucifixion. I feel like people who believe that without baptism you aren't saved must not truly have faith in Christ and his forgiveness. Seriously I need a good answer, or else why would I believe in baptism? I really want to know why it is required, if it is.

It's not required for salvation. It's a public profession of faith in Jesus Christ. It's symbolic and an act of obedience.

Why would I need to publicly profess my faith? For some reason this just feels to me like when the Nazi's tattooed the Jews for everyone to know they were Jewish. Do I also need to wear a cross in and "Jesus Rocks" shirts? I don't get it...

I wish I knew the words I was looking for atm. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't understand baptism. I probably should have looked thru my bible a little more before asking this question. Do you have any suggested reading in the bible that might help me?

But Jesus said, “It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires. ” So John agreed to baptize him. (Matthew 3:15 NLT)

There's a lot about baptism in the book of the Acts of the Apostles. It refers to baptism of new believers and the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Why do you not want to profess your faith in Jesus?
Thanks for the verse. This is going to take a while for me to process everything. The only thing I can ask is you pray for me because I definitely am in need atm.. And in response to your previous post. I wouldn't be surprised if their is some underlying issue that is the reason why it is so hard for me to express myself and my beliefs in front of other people (it's a long story).

I know a lot of people on here are different denominations of Christianity so opinions will differ, but I would appreciate if someone could help explain to me why baptism is necessary, if it is? I have tried finding reasons on the internet but I can't find anything that convinces me baptism is necessary.
Hi God is love.

There are two water baptisms mentioned in the bible. The first is the inner water baptism that occurs upon salvation.

"John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire" (Luke 3:16)

John the Baptist did the outer water baptism, Jesus does the inner water baptism with His Spirit, cleansing all unrighteousness from the new believer making them a new creation.

"he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5).

He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" 39But this He spoke of the Spirit (John 7:38-39).

This inner cleansing is different than the outer water baptism. The outer baptism is not necessary for salvation. A person can be saved and not ever get an outer water baptism. Often the outer baptism is ritualized and devoid of the life of God which makes it unappealing. However, the outer baptism is more than a ritual act of obedience and there is a reason God wants believers to have it. There are many people who have a salvation experience only to drop by the wayside in life forgetting they are saved (which is shown by the enduring scriptures) and you probably have seen in real life. Outer water baptism when done by faith is a commitment of faith in one's salvation, committing to continuous belief in the payment of your sins by Jesus, the burial of your sin self, and the resurrection of yourself as a new creation in Christ. It is a commitment to having continuous faith in this. Many people do not understand that not only their sins were paid for, but that they are new creations in Christ and thus can later fall even into an unbelieving state. Being a new creation and being committed to having faith in this allows sanctification. Yes this can be done without water baptism, but many need a starting point to remember.

I cannot recommend that you do not do the outer baptism, since it is shown in the bible. I would pray to God about it. It sounds as if what you are thinking is that you do have real belief and I am making the assumption that you do talk about Jesus so you are wondering if it is necessary. The commitment is truly in yourself. That doesn't change with outward water, so you must decide. However, for many it is a beautiful dedication to God and they want to make that commitment in front of others to show their love for God.

"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 10:33).

We all should however be willing vessels that confess God before others and this should be continuous.

As far as the obedience part of water baptism, obedience is necessary for faith to actually work. When we obey it shows faith in action and then faith is built. I personally think pray and meditate on the meaning of the outer water baptism. It is an expression of love and faith when obeying God.

I actually just read your profile and personally I think water baptism would be a good idea when you are ready since salvation is a lifelong commitment that you want to be committed to.

God bless you with great wisdom, understanding, and peace.

I was baptized as an infant and again when I was 13. I was again at age 26 by immersion. The reason I did again was because I wasn't a true believer until then.
Ok yep, this is definitely a personal problem, it is really complicated, I now understand the reasoning behind baptism, I just need to work on myself and pray because I am messed upppp.
Hi God is love.

There are two water baptisms mentioned in the bible. The first is the inner water baptism that occurs upon salvation.

"John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire" (Luke 3:16)

John the Baptist did the outer water baptism, Jesus does the inner water baptism with His Spirit, cleansing all unrighteousness from the new believer making them a new creation.

"he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5).

He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" 39But this He spoke of the Spirit (John 7:38-39).

This inner cleansing is different than the outer water baptism. The outer baptism is not necessary for salvation. A person can be saved and not ever get an outer water baptism. Often the outer baptism is ritualized and devoid of the life of God which makes it unappealing. However, the outer baptism is more than a ritual act of obedience and there is a reason God wants believers to have it. There are many people who have a salvation experience only to drop by the wayside in life forgetting they are saved (which is shown by the enduring scriptures) and you probably have seen in real life. Outer water baptism when done by faith is a commitment of faith in one's salvation, committing to continuous belief in the payment of your sins by Jesus, the burial of your sin self, and the resurrection of yourself as a new creation in Christ. It is a commitment to having continuous faith in this. Many people do not understand that not only their sins were paid for, but that they are new creations in Christ and thus can later fall even into an unbelieving state. Being a new creation and being committed to having faith in this allows sanctification. Yes this can be done without water baptism, but many need a starting point to remember.

I cannot recommend that you do not do the outer baptism, since it is shown in the bible. I would pray to God about it. It sounds as if what you are thinking is that you do have real belief and I am making the assumption that you do talk about Jesus so you are wondering if it is necessary. The commitment is truly in yourself. That doesn't change with outward water, so you must decide. However, for many it is a beautiful dedication to God and they want to make that commitment in front of others to show their love for God.

"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 10:33).

We all should however be willing vessels that confess God before others and this should be continuous.

As far as the obedience part of water baptism, obedience is necessary for faith to actually work. When we obey it shows faith in action and then faith is built. I personally think pray and meditate on the meaning of the outer water baptism. It is an expression of love and faith when obeying God.
Thanks for the reply to my thread Olivia. I now know that I want to get baptized eventually, but I have realized that I have some personal problems which is the reason why I was so confused with baptism in the first place and the reason I was getting so frustrated about it.

Ok yep, this is definitely a personal problem, it is really complicated, I now understand the reasoning behind baptism, I just need to work on myself and pray because I am messed upppp.

Thanks for the reply to my thread Olivia. I now know that I want to get baptized eventually, but I have realized that I have some personal problems which is the reason why I was so confused with baptism in the first place and the reason I was getting so frustrated about it.
God bless you. Just remember you don't have to get yourself together first, just trust God for what he says. When saved you are already perfect in Him (in His Holy Spirit) and it is a lifelong process to put away self more and more and walk in God's Spirit fully. The key is having faith in what God has done for you and made you, not in perfecting your old self. God see's you as righteous because you are in Christ now, not because you do everything correctly.

"On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20). God sees you through Jesus, that is the new creation. He is not looking at the old sin self that has been buried.

All you need is faith and commitment to that faith in what God has done for you.

Back