Is Everyone To Preach The Gospel? Or Only Teachers Or Pastors Or Evangelists...?

simply put, if people only love luke-warm .. then the love of God they share is only luke-warm (as is their motivation) .. so perhaps teaching people WHY they should love God needs to be done again .. in other words you may need to preach the Gospel again because they heard you, but didn't take it into their hearts .. because all who understand and embrace God's Good News of His Love (take it into their hearts) will bear fruit ..

love and joy of God can be shared anywhere, anyplace ..
Jhn 15:8 “My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.

God Bless you ..

Last edited:
Note: how the OP title seems be not correct .... i think a more correct OP title is:

Is Everyone to be Teachers? ....

Before I go to some thoughts more on discipleship, sharing the good news, contemplative life apart from the world.... or how the layman plays the role....

Would like to ask first: how this verse in the light of some verses quoted/explained:

James 3:1
New King James Version (NKJV)

The Untamable Tongue
3 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

The Church is called to bear witness to the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus.
The biggest problem I have seen is pastors telling sheep the are born again", and then send them out to "preach the gospel", by inviting people to church.
The world eats them up, and they lose their desire to witness.
"I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for His NAME'S sake." Little children have no real obligation or responsibility, except to learn: to be edified. We should not be sending our kids to direct traffic.

The Church is called to bear witness to the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus.
The biggest problem I have seen is pastors telling sheep the are born again", and then send them out to "preach the gospel", by inviting people to church.
The world eats them up, and they lose their desire to witness.
"I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for His NAME'S sake." Little children have no real obligation or responsibility, except to learn: to be edified. We should not be sending our kids to direct traffic.

There's a lot of truth in that, but still, the effect that the passion of a new believer can have on an unbeliever often amazes me. What you're saying isn't wrong (i.e., parable of the sower). But sometimes, the "grown ups" can learn some surprising things about "directing traffic" from the "kids." :)

There's a lot of truth in that, but still, the effect that the passion of a new believer can have on an unbeliever often amazes me. What you're saying isn't wrong (i.e., parable of the sower). But sometimes, the "grown ups" can learn some surprising things about "directing traffic" from the "kids." :)

Agree.

Note: how the OP title seems be not correct .... i think a more correct OP title is:

Before I go to some thoughts more on discipleship, sharing the good news, contemplative life apart from the world.... or how the layman plays the role....

Would like to ask first: how this verse in the light of some verses quoted/explained:

The Untamable Tongue
3 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.
God has only one truth, often His words do have many applications, but are never contradictory ..
so those who are preachers of the Word, should be of one accord with those who are teachers of the word, or ego is gumming up the works somewhere ..

hi Aha ..
I think they are two separate subjects, yet very much related ..

teaching is a gift of the spirit, and the HS distributes to each according to their abilities ..
so you astutely posted the relevant verse ..

many teach from their own reasoning, hence WHY many should not ..
because that means you may hurt others in your teaching IF it concerns salvation ..
and Jesus Himself exemplifies the "stricter judgement of hurting a little one" ..

Paul makes it clear, the Gospel of Salvation we are ALL to preach, is "the one they handed down to us"
this is where teachers come in .. the HS himself teaches those HE chooses to teach WHAT is correct ..
here is where All Christians must learn to be good vineyard workers and do the work which the HS designated to us, not what work we choose to do ..

my feelings on this is ..
teaching has it's upside, but also has it's downside ..
if your ego is not in check, being a teacher will feed that ego and make it harder to keep God's will first ..
many times a teachers persistence may "look like" ego to another, but they are merely sticking to the curriculum given them ..
Paul made a reference to this inre "his thorn" that was so he could be a good teacher without ego creeping into his work given him ..
a thorn can be an uncivil person, who in many cases motivation seems to be to just oppose no matter the topic ..
teachers will often be treated with disrespect when what they are doing is actually selfless in nature ..
this is WHY the HS chooses very carefully whom is to be a teacher and taught by Him directly ..
and those not, SHOULD have the "God ears" to hear in their hearts, and recognize those whom God has appointed ..
so we are ALL to present the Gospel of Salvation in it's correctness ..
and ALL must also keep their ego in check and not rebel against what is correct when we are told what is ..

even a teacher is not given ALL (as to help a teacher not have ego) ..
by the HS dividing this task among whom He chooses (sometimes even a kid as Roads astutely posted) teachers must also be students too ..

Last edited:

The Untamable Tongue

Not everyone can be a teacher but there are many that have the gift of teaching even though just converted and may not have total knowledge of scripture, something like a person without the necessary years of school to become a licensed teacher but has innate ability to teach others. One question i would ask also, and that is:

Is everyone capable of spreading the gospel, to teach others of our Lord and His message even though they may have just converted, or, walked out of church and heard a sermon telling to go out and spread the Good News...? And, what is teaching others all about...? Is it only of scripture and knowledge of scripture...? Or, is it also what it means to be a follower of our Lord...?

i say both, but if one can't be a teacher of scripture because they are newbies or any other reason, then they can be teachers of our Lord's message with their actions, their words toward others, their service to the church and to others, they can be model for what it means to be a follower of our Lord in His Way... This is what my pastor told us last Sunday and most Sunday's at church when he finishes his sermon, go out and spread to all the gospel of our Lord, let all see Christ in you with your words, your actions, your daily life anywhere you are and with whomsoever. He always reminds us that we are the carriers of His banner of Hope and that our daily life is our word proclaiming to all that we are disciples of our Lord Jesus and Jesus is the truth and life.

<>< ...

your post was a point of discussion before I got online today ..
it is the LOVE, JOY & PEACE which we often lack in our presentation of imputing with the message of the Gospel .. I expressed that this was myself something I needed to focus more on ..

here is my final comment to that convo ..
unless a person is a wet rag .. once you instill that ember, IT WILL BURN ..

God Bless you ..

I'm not entirely sure where you're coming from on any level to be honest. The balance of a subject like this comes from a true knowledge of the what the scriptures say not part of it, of course the goal is to have individuals witnessing but what I'm saying is they must be built up in their faith first to become truly effective. The most effective is how we love each other, I think you need to take a little look at how you speak to fellow Christians far less a Christian Pastor. You will know them by their fruits Christ preached and I ask you to look over your comments to see if they fall into line with the character of Jesus Christ. Maybe you'd like to scrutinize Apollos the Apostle of Corinth as to why Paul had to write these two letters concerning the basic problems of their assembly or speak to the Pastor of the church in Galatia as to why so many were turning back to the old laws? I think many like yourself have an idealistic way of looking at things when the reality, even in the churches we're given in scripture, show a far different story. It's clearer to understand these books when you're actually on the front-line dealing with people's every day issues. People filled with the Holy Spirit still get ill, the still suffer loss and still need to be taught in the ways of God. if you have a desire to preach the gospel everyday God bless you, but don't Lord your gift over others who aren't there yet.

I'm not entirely sure where you're coming from on any level to be honest. The balance of a subject like this comes from a true knowledge of the what the scriptures say not part of it, of course the goal is to have individuals witnessing but what I'm saying is they must be built up in their faith first to become truly effective. The most effective is how we love each other, I think you need to take a little look at how you speak to fellow Christians far less a Christian Pastor. You will know them by their fruits Christ preached and I ask you to look over your comments to see if they fall into line with the character of Jesus Christ. Maybe you'd like to scrutinize Apollos the Apostle of Corinth as to why Paul had to write these two letters concerning the basic problems of their assembly or speak to the Pastor of the church in Galatia as to why so many were turning back to the old laws? I think many like yourself have an idealistic way of looking at things when the reality, even in the churches we're given in scripture, show a far different story. It's clearer to understand these books when you're actually on the front-line dealing with people's every day issues. People filled with the Holy Spirit still get ill, the still suffer loss and still need to be taught in the ways of God. if you have a desire to preach the gospel everyday God bless you, but don't Lord your gift over others who aren't there yet.

Paul said, “For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.” The wolves have not gone away are their children are still here with us. So we still suffer from their agendas.

I like the way your thinking. John wrote: "I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for His NAME'S sake. I write unto you, fathers,...I write unto you, young men...". So there are definitely stages in the Christian life, and the babies are not required to do anything, but know that their sins are forgiven. They are not called to go to battle: the young men are called to battle.

Paul writes a similar paragraph to the Ministry in Ephesus, saying they are set in order (I'll state it in reverse), "ror the edifying of the body of Christ, for the work of the ministry, and for the perfection of the saints." Childhood to young men, to fathers.
Enjoy your walk in the Lord.

I think you need to take a little look at how you speak to fellow Christians far less a Christian Pastor.

I say what needs to be said .. and what I said was it is your responsibility as a pastor ..

and being a pastor doesn't give you any lee-way .. why, do you think you attended more seminaries then me, or you are more equal in God's eyes ???

You've shown so far, a distinct lack of basic respect for a Pastor in the Body of Christ, a poor handle of the scriptures and a lack of character in the fruit of the spirit so I can only assume further conversation would be pointless given that we are very much singing from very different hymn sheets. So God bless you and in keeping with the rules of this forum (friendly fellowship) I will bow out gracefully to maintain a respect for the readers viewing these posts...

Paul said, “For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.” The wolves have not gone away are their children are still here with us. So we still suffer from their agendas.

I like the way your thinking. John wrote: "I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for His NAME'S sake. I write unto you, fathers,...I write unto you, young men...". So there are definitely stages in the Christian life, and the babies are not required to do anything, but know that their sins are forgiven. They are not called to go to battle: the young men are called to battle.

Paul writes a similar paragraph to the Ministry in Ephesus, saying they are set in order (I'll state it in reverse), "ror the edifying of the body of Christ, for the work of the ministry, and for the perfection of the saints." Childhood to young men, to fathers.
Enjoy your walk in the Lord.

Hello and God bless you. yes I think the easiest way to look at it for me anyway is the portion in Hebrews 5 - milk is for the babes and meat is for the aged (experienced Christian). There's a distinct difference between the two groups and descerning whether a child of the Lord is still at the stage of milk or in need of the meat is critical......blessings..

You've shown so far, a distinct lack of basic respect for a Pastor in the Body of Christ, a poor handle of the scriptures and a lack of character in the fruit of the spirit so I can only assume further conversation would be pointless given that we are very much singing from very different hymn sheets. So God bless you and in keeping with the rules of this forum (friendly fellowship) I will bow out gracefully to maintain a respect for the readers viewing these posts...

perhaps I don't respect you because you have not proved you deserve it ..
nor does your knowledge of scripture impress me ..
nor does your Christian character ..
so now we are at a mutual understanding ..

Back