Is Getting Baptised Needed?

I think this is actually a very good discussion topic as depending on what type of Christian you are, there may be a different answer.

However, I'll give my own take on it.

No, getting baptised is not required to be saved to get to heaven. The bible says that as long as you accept Jesus as your Lord and savior and believe that he died for our sins and that you ask for his forgiveness, you are saved. BUT, if you can get baptised, do it. You are showing God that you would do anything for him, and it doesn't hurt to try to be as close as you can to him. Doing whatever you can to follow what God says is the best way to have the best life you can.

I used if believe it wasn't necessary but I have changed my tune on this.

Do people who have not been baptized been saved? We'll, the thief in the cross is one example. We can't argue against God's mercy--children or those who didn't get the chance to be baptized yet, I would argue, are with God when they've repented and embraced him.

Those who DO have the chance, the means, etc. and do recognize the importance of baptism must be baptized.

To quote Martin Luther "baptism is not a plaything." Indeed. In Acts 2:38, Paul expressed for all to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus. In Peter 3:19-21, the illustration of baptism and it's importance is made. Mark 16:16 says how whoever believes and is baptized shall be saved, and those who don't believe will not. John 3:5, Jesus said "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

Baptism, in simple terms, became the circumcision for the New Covenant. It was commanded by Jesus and was shown importance by all the passages that mention them. Christ's own baptism displayed importance.

We aren't saved by faith alone as te Bible teaches us, and we must obey God in every aspect—through our faith and our deeds animated by our faith in God.

If someone was dying, had 5 minutes to live, I'd tell them to repent. If they had 5 hours, then I'd say a little more than that. And if they said 5 days, is say much more.

I believe we've talked about this before and there was much disagreement. Though I think we can all agree that the Scriptures teaches truth, and if something is expressed, especially when He says "truly truly I say to you" we better pay close attention and dismis what may simply be conscience. It definitely more convenient to believe that baptism isn't a big deal in regards to salvation.

We need to be baptized in water to obey the command to do so, but I am dead against people who claim it is necessary for salvation. It isn't. Only saved people are invited.

Real FAITH, has real obedience! Baptism is an act of obedience to faith. If someone tells me they have faith and refuses baptism, I would not have much confidence that they really understand faith. I suggest that it is NEEDED, but not according to the "law of works" but according to the "law of faith". Real faith NEEDS actions of faith....:D

By definition only saved people are invited. The question is is baptism an extension of our justification.

No. We are justified by faith.

Galatians 2:16
knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

No. We are justified by faith.

Galatians 2:16
knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.
I agree with this verse, though I don't see where it says we are justified by faith ALONE. Apart from our own works? Absolutely. But the verse doesn't say anything about it being faith alone.

We shouldn't put aside James 2:24-26. But also if we are looking at the writings of Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2 even expresses that faith great enough to move mountains without pure Godly love is nothing.

Jesus mentioned in 19:17 the importance of keeping the commandments in search for salvation.

Are we justified by faith? You better believe it! Faith alone? That's another story.

I agree with this verse, though I don't see where it says we are justified by faith ALONE. Apart from our own works? Absolutely. But the verse doesn't say anything about it being faith alone.

We shouldn't put aside James 2:24-26. But also if we are looking at the writings of Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:2 even expresses that faith great enough to move mountains without pure Godly love is nothing.

Jesus mentioned in 19:17 the importance of keeping the commandments in search for salvation.

Are we justified by faith? You better believe it! Faith alone? That's another story.
Well Jesus was uses the law for its purpose? "to make all men guilty before God" so that they might turn to Him in faith and accept the work of His Cross. The Lord used the law to show those who where "SELF" righteous that they were as guilty as all other men, according to the law. The rich young ruler "thought" he was righteous, but he loved his riches more than God. That's the point of the Lord using the law as He did.

Well Jesus was uses the law for its purpose? "to make all men guilty before God" so that they might turn to Him in faith and accept the work of His Cross. The Lord used the law to show those who where "SELF" righteous that they were as guilty as all other men, according to the law. The rich young ruler "thought" he was righteous, but he loved his riches more than God. That's the point of the Lord using the law as He did.
Absolutely.

Faith alone, yes. Works are simply the byproduct of our faith---and our justification.

Absolutely yes you have to be baptised to be saved, that is Spirit baptism. As for water, it is always a good idea to be water baptised so that our conscience is clear from obeying the truth.

1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Absolutely yes you have to be baptised to be saved, that is Spirit baptism. As for water, it is always a good idea to be water baptised so that our conscience is clear from obeying the truth.

1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

I am glad you pointed out 1 Peter 3:21.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Notice, it is by grace we are saved, not faith! Grace alone is the means of our salvation, but to be able to access this salvation requires faith (through faith).

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

The only way to access our salvation which was given to us by grace is through faith. Faith is the key to salvation.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Notice, it is by grace we are saved, not faith! Grace alone is the means of our salvation, but to be able to access this salvation requires faith (through faith).

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

The only way to access our salvation which was given to us by grace is through faith. Faith is the key to salvation.

Very nicely put -- and I agree with you. Saved by grace alone through faith, and faith without works is dead.

One of my all-time favorite verse is 1 Corinthians 13:13. The three theological virtues are faith, hope, and love. Paul wrote that we must abide by these three -- but the greatest of these is love. Must we have faith? 100% yes. Is faith the greatest of the Christian virtues? According to scriptures, it's not -- love is.

Very nicely put -- and I agree with you. Saved by grace alone through faith, and faith without works is dead.

One of my all-time favorite verse is 1 Corinthians 13:13. The three theological virtues are faith, hope, and love. Paul wrote that we must abide by these three -- but the greatest of these is love. Must we have faith? 100% yes. Is faith the greatest of the Christian virtues? According to scriptures, it's not -- love is.

I agree, Love is the greatest of the three, yet we read this that, "faith works by love" so if we don't have love (God, since God is love) Then our faith will never work because only God (love) can do the works of faith. :)

Where in the Bible where you find the words "faith" and "alone" together? It is in there, but it's only one verse. Which verse and what does it say?

Why do you have to have such proof? We know the truth by the whole counsel of the word.

1 Peter 3:21
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Belief in the completed work of Jesus Christ produces a clean conscience and saves (see Hebrews 9:8-14). Therefore, it is the faith in regard to baptism, not the water, that saves us.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Works, including that of water baptism, do not save. We are saved by grace through FAITH in Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Why do you have to have such proof? We know the truth by the whole counsel of the word.

1 Peter 3:21
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Belief in the completed work of Jesus Christ produces a clean conscience and saves (see Hebrews 9:8-14). Therefore, it is the faith in regard to baptism, not the water, that saves us.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Works, including that of water baptism, do not save. We are saved by grace through FAITH in Jesus Christ.

Isn't that a part of Scripture -- for proof reading? It says so in 2 Timothy 3:16. Indeed, we do know the truth by the whole counsel of the word, but many of us disagree on the interpretation. That's why we're at an impasse.

The verses you provided, I agree with 100%. However, I don't see where they suggest salvation by faith ALONE. Which verse will you find the words "faith" and "alone together? One hint is that it is found in the Gospel of James.

Unless I am mistaken, I suspect you even agree with me that a Christian MUST abide by the works commanded to us by God, otherwise are they still commandments or just recommendations?

Last edited:
Isn't that a part of Scripture -- for proof reading? It says so in 1 Timothy 3:16. Indeed, we do know the truth by the whole counsel of the word, but many of us disagree on the interpretation. That's why we're at an impasse.

The verses you provided, I agree with 100%. However, I don't see where they suggest salvation by faith ALONE. Which verse will you find the words "faith" and "alone together? One hint is that it is found in the Gospel of James.

Well, where a person has not been baptized, but dies, he will go on to be with Christ, as he was saved---all without being dunked. Baptism is a work we do and it has no power to save us because only those who are saved already are required to do so.

That the word of God says "faith" and "not works", we can safely assume that we are saved by faith alone.

It's that simple. It is only denominational thinking that confuses this issue.

Last edited:
Back