Is Ice-cream Good Or Bad? Or Any Form Of Snacks?

Hello all. So, I love ice-cream. I eat it after a meal. But sometimes I feel guilty - sometimes- because of the following verses:
Dt 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Pr 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: 21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Is it wrong to eat ice-cream or a snack after a meal? That's gluttony right? But if I eat it before that.... isn't that also gluttony?

Thoughts?

Hello all. So, I love ice-cream. I eat it after a meal. But sometimes I feel guilty - sometimes- because of the following verses:
Dt 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Pr 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: 21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Is it wrong to eat ice-cream or a snack after a meal? That's gluttony right? But if I eat it before that.... isn't that also gluttony?

Thoughts?
A great question! Where we draw the line matters a lot. Gluttony by definition is "habitual overeating". It is not just overeating, but habitual as well. To the extent of losing wealth. Are you ready to sell your car for eating food? To put more simply, are you willing to give up ice cream for a time of prayer or Bible study? If the answer is yes, you are not overeating.

We can draw analogy to our spiritual life as well. We all fall short and sin. What differentiates believer and unbeliever is how we react to that. What is the desires of our heart is. Are we desiring sinful life or are we desiring to pursue things of God? Same goes with overeating.. Are we desiring to control ourselves or we want to go loose :D

Self control is one of the fruits of spirit. Gluttony is a direct opposite of that.

A great question! Where we draw the line matters a lot. Gluttony by definition is "habitual overeating". It is not just overeating, but habitual as well. To the extent of losing wealth. Are you ready to sell your car for eating food? To put more simply, are you willing to give up ice cream for a time of prayer or Bible study? If the answer is yes, you are not overeating.

We can draw analogy to our spiritual life as well. We all fall short and sin. What differentiates believer and unbeliever is how we react to that. What is the desires of our heart is. Are we desiring sinful life or are we desiring to pursue things of God? Same goes with overeating.. Are we desiring to control ourselves or we want to go loose :D

Self control is one of the fruits of spirit. Gluttony is a direct opposite of that.
But let's face it. If I eat dessert after dinner everyday, that's habitual eating. So, I'm clearly sinning. So we should we not eat desserts? Oh gosh! I love my desserts. Sigh

Have you never read, in 2 Leviticus 15:1-4
1. And when you have finished with the evening meal, you shall look about you for some dessert.
2. Do not confuse that with desert, for when you shall find that, you shall flee. It is too hot. You shall know it by its one S, so you shall not desire it.
3. Look for something cool, even cold, and sweet and creamy, for it shall be to you dessert, with two Ss. As go the Ss, you shall want more the next night.
4. You shall devour it with pleasure; with great gusto, you shall eat, for it is a gift. Only eat not too much, for that would cause major problems of multiple kinds in which you do not want to participate.

Have you never read, in 2 Leviticus 15:1-4
1. And when you have finished with the evening meal, you shall look about you for some dessert.
2. Do not confuse that with desert, for when you shall find that, you shall flee. It is too hot. You shall know it by its one S, so you shall not desire it.
3. Look for something cool, even cold, and sweet and creamy, for it shall be to you dessert, with two Ss. As go the Ss, you shall want more the next night.
4. You shall devour it with pleasure; with great gusto, you shall eat, for it is a gift. Only eat not too much, for that would cause major problems of multiple kinds in which you do not want to participate.
I'm not seeing those when I click on the link with lev 15:1-4....

This just about nails it!

Moderation is key. You want to make sure that the things you do further your walk with God and not hinder it in any way. More plainly, you never want to put yourself in a situation where you are missing praising and furthering your walk with God to indulge glutinously in something; like Rav said.

I'm not seeing those when I click on the link with lev 15:1-4....
I don't see it either when I clik the link. There is only 1 book of Leviticus from chap 1 - 27 . Leviticus 15:1-4 says this

Laws About Bodily Discharges
Leviticus 15
1 And the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying, 2 "Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: a 'When any man has a discharge from his body, his discharge is unclean. 3 'And this shall be his uncleanness in regard to his discharge - whether his body runs with his discharge, or his body is stopped up by his discharge, it is his uncleanness. 4 'Every bed is 1 unclean on which he who has the discharge lies, and everything on which he sits shall be unclean

Thoughts?

If you think it's an issue, you are not alone sis, I am also battling something that is currently hindering my walk with God. Prayer and repentance is necessary for our minds to be renewed in Jesus name if you feel that it is hindering your walk with the Lord.

I don't see it either when I clik the link. There is only 1 book of Leviticus from chap 1 - 27 . Leviticus 15:1-4 says this

Laws About Bodily Discharges
Leviticus 15
1 And the LORD spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying, 2 "Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: a 'When any man has a discharge from his body, his discharge is unclean. 3 'And this shall be his uncleanness in regard to his discharge - whether his body runs with his discharge, or his body is stopped up by his discharge, it is his uncleanness. 4 'Every bed is 1 unclean on which he who has the discharge lies, and everything on which he sits shall be unclean
I think tez, was playing a prank.

But I'm still not sure. Isn't it still wrong to eat dessert after your dinner? Isn't gluttony eating when you're not hungry?

I guess it stems from what people would call 'overindulgence'. By definition, gluttony would be an overindulgence of food. If you left room for ice cream after your dinner, I don't see an issue. Again, I would revert back to Rav's post. Some people draw their lines in the sand at different spots. Gluttony could turn into addiction if you're not careful, just be careful sis :)

Do you feel like you have a problem with ice cream after dinner?

Dessert is fine Pat...may I call you Pat?
No it's not. Just don't pack it in if your full. An ice cream cone or a piece of pie is fine, just don't eat the whole quart or the pie. Save me some LOL :)

Dessert is fine Pat...may I call you Pat?
No it's not. Just don't pack it in if your full. An ice cream cone or a piece of pie is fine, just don't eat the whole quart or the pie. Save me some LOL :)

What Chili meant to say was 'save some for HIM'...haha! Don't be bashful Chili, lol.

Back