Is It Bad Or Sinful For A Christian To Be Interested In The Paranormal?

Do you believe in ghosts?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No, there are only demons.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I believe in both ghosts and demons.

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
I didn't know the poster was a 14 year old girl, however if my children (9 years & 10 years) were to ask me about the supernatural then I would tell them exactly the same. In fact I have told them the same many years ago - there is no thing as ghosts and spirits and pixies and gods.

So I have no regrets for my comment, sorry that you feel I was out of place and I'll leave this thread to you.

I teach my kids how to think, not what to think.

So did my father, who is an agnostic. I became a born again Christian despite the fact that my dad was my everything and I thought he was the smartest man alive. :)

I understand where you are coming from but she came to a christian forum.

But who am I to ask you not to help. Sorry that was kinda rude of me...

So did my father, who is an agnostic. I became a born again Christian despite the fact that my dad was my everything and I thought he was the smartest man alive. :)

I understand where you are coming from but she came to a christian forum.

But who am I to ask you not to help. Sorry that was kinda rude of me...

If I had my way, lots of "Believers" would not be offering their advice of doubt and unbelief. At least he got the NO GHOST part right.

Thanks for all your replies, although some were a bit off topic.

I suppose I needed a "rude awakening" type description of paranormal things.

How long have you been a believer?
I've been a Christian since I was born. I've always loved God...but three or four years ago, I strayed away from The Lord. I rekindled my faith two years ago. Ever since then, I've tried my hardest to stay as close to God as I possibly could. I wasn't sure if being interested in the paranormal would damage my faith, but realizing that it is pure darkness and not of God tells me that it is. I know now that I should try hard to distance myself from evil things such as demons.

Thanks again for helping me out. I value your opinions. :)

What? There are no such things as Ghost. How old are you? Ouija board is a game something, whatever, distributed by Hasbro.......
how old are you, seriously. Depending on your age, we go from there.
Ouija board is not a game.. And of course there are ghosts and spirits I have personal experience.

Ouija board is not a game.. And of course there are ghosts and spirits I have personal experience.
Demons are only given power if we allow them. They are defeated and rendered powerless over believers in Christ and therefore cannot bother us if we don't let them.

Regardless of the scripture that some would claim denies the existance of ghosts, they do exist.
The afterlife is not quite as simple as many would like to believe.

There is no sin in being intellectualy curious about the paranormal, but there is also very little to be gained from studying it.
I've studied demonology and the occult for 30+ years now. It has it's interesting parts, but none of it is inspiring nor will knowing the enemy well ever bring you to greater knowledge of God.
Unless you are an exorcist it is pretty much a waste of effort.

Regardless of the scripture that some would claim denies the existance of ghosts, they do exist.

There is no sin in being intellectualy curious about the paranormal, but there is also very little to be gained from studying it.
I've studied demonology and the occult for 30+ years now. It has it's interesting parts, but none of it is inspiring nor will knowing the enemy well ever bring you to greater knowledge of God.
I just have one word... Exactly!

Can you reveal the scripture that supports the existence of ghosts? But I guess I would need to know your definition of ghosts first.

I agree with you that there is nothing to be gained in studying paranormal activities. We should make every attempt to draw closer to God, and if we know nothing is to be gained from paranormal activities then we should not waste our time.

Didn't say he was. Mike quoted scripture stating "it is appointed for each to die once".
I'm making the point that "things ain't quite as simple as folks would like".
Ghosts are dime a dozen. Do some research. The net has plenty of ghost hunter web pages, it's a popular hobby amongst some.
I find it to be a problematic hobby, sometimes you find more than just dead people.

Didn't say he was. Mike quoted scripture stating "it is appointed for each to die once".
Ghosts are dime a dozen. Do some research. The net has plenty of ghost hunter web pages, it's a popular hobby amongst some.
I find it to be a problematic hobby, sometimes you find more than just dead people.
aaah I see.

Well, I watched a few of those (Ghost hunter) shows. None of them are human spirits though. Familiar spirits is what the scripture calls them.... Ones that mimic the dead........ Devils. Now you don't need to look far to find you a devil, they are all over like roaches.

Those shows are pure drivel.
A "familiar spirit" is a demon who associates with a practitioner of black magic,
it has nothing to do with ghosts, they do not mimic the dead.

Those shows are pure drivel.
A "familiar spirit" is a demon who associates with a practitioner of black magic,
it has nothing to do with ghosts, they do not mimic the dead.

'ôb
BDB Definition:
1) water skin bottle
2) necromancer
1b) necromancer, one who evokes the dead
1c) ghost, spirit of a dead one
1d) practice of necromancy
3) one that has a familiar spirit

From the same as H1 (apparently through the idea of prattling a father’s name); properly a mumble, that is, a water skin (from its hollow sound); hence a necromancer (ventriloquist, as from a jar): - bottle, familiar spirit.

Well, there are no dead humans coming back, there are spirits that confuse and pretend to be loved ones. There is a reason the KJV translated (bottle?) to Familiar. Not saying it's a perfect match, I agree there.

the "afterlife" is very simple it is being with God and worshiping Him eternally

Back