Is It Ever Okay To Lie?

I know lying is a sin. But are certain circumstances okay? Would it be okay to lie to someone so you can give them a surprise party? How about lying to protect someone, or lying so they don't get hurt? Are there any times when lying is okay, or should we never lie?

"Thou shall not kill"

Correctly, it is “Thou shall not murder”…

It is more on the motive, I would say…..

Same goes with lying, it is more on the motive,,,an ill motive to conceal the truth….

Am not a bible teacher….

I think the teachers are out, helping the Good Shepherd look for lost sheeps …. or at least scaring away goats : )

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Lying/

"Thou shall not kill"

Correctly, it is “Thou shall not murder”…

It is more on the motive, I would say…..

Same goes with lying, it is more on the motive,,,an ill motive to conceal the truth….

Am not a bible teacher….

I think the teachers are out, helping the Good Shepherd look for lost sheeps …. or at least scaring away goats : )

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Lying/
Well, you got Murder right........... So you might not be far off.

It says thou shall do no murder. There is no correct way or motive that would allow us to Murder someone rightly. David had Bathsheba's Husband murdered to conceal a pregnancy. Cost David a lot. He took one bad sin, and made it far worse.

Killing can also be wrong, as In I killed someone for taking a bite out of my Sandwich, which would turn to Murder as the Bible calls it and is still murder. Killing at war, or if you shoot the bad guys shooting back at you, then Killing is permissible, but it's never called Murder, not even in court by today's language.

Lying, is lying, is lying. Just as Murder is always murder.

Jesus said let your yea be yea, and nay be nay. We don't answer people with vague answers to get them to believe one direction when it's another.

Even if we technically tell the truth, but know the person will believe the wrong thing, that is lying.

Telling your kids there is a Satan (I meant Santa) clause that will break in the house to leave goods, is lying and deception. Your kids will learn the same.

Just saying I will not answer that question is right, and good enough. What ever conclusion they draw from your silence is on them, not because you lied and mislead them.

Lying is of the devil, for he was a liar and murderer from the start. Deceiving people will give the father of lies a place in your life, and you don't want nothing to do with the devil. He is a destroyer, and murderer.

I believe lieing is wrong and we should aim to tell the truth always which can be difficult at times when trying to protect yourself or others. Although we are to always speak the truth Rahab lied in certain circumstances which was the right thing for her to do at that time...so although it's not recommended, in certain "godly" circumstances then it maybe is...???

On April fool's day, for example, lot of people play witty pranks and lies, I don't count that as sin!

It's not a matter what "YOU" count. What you count means nothing. Any form of deception is of the devil. Now, since your not saved, I don't expect you to understand that, but Children of God know, that we never lie and do not deceive about anything, even playing around.

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
(Eph 5:3-4)

Not being saved, you don't know what the Word says, I understand, but keep your worldly advice to yourself.

I believe lieing is wrong and we should aim to tell the truth always which can be difficult at times when trying to protect yourself or others. Although we are to always speak the truth Rahab lied in certain circumstances which was the right thing for her to do at that time...so although it's not recommended, in certain "godly" circumstances then it maybe is...???

Abraham lied about Sarah being his Daughter. Just because someone in the OT did something and did not have a revelation about something, and God let it slide, is no indication that it's actually OK.

They did not have the Holy Spirit or the full Word like we do, or even super quick ways to find out what God said.

This thinking is why some still think we should have more than one wife. Who could survive 2 wives anyway?

Lying, in any form is bad.............. God is more than able to protect without having to lie.

Also we don't have to answer. Even if police ask you questions, you say I am not answering questions and they are OK with that. It's a right to remain silent.

Rahab did not do the right thing, God had mercy and it worked out.

Remember what got Peter in trouble??? Same type of thing that should have gotten Rahab and Abraham in trouble. He was afraid, and said He did not know Jesus. Same fear, some thought that not deceiving it will not work out.

If we never Give the devil an place by lying, then How can the devil harm us? He can't.

It's not a matter what "YOU" count. What you count means nothing. Any form of deception is of the devil. Now, since your not saved, I don't expect you to understand that, but Children of God know, that we never lie and do not deceive about anything, even playing around.

But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
(Eph 5:3-4)

Not being saved, you don't know what the Word says, I understand, but keep your worldly advice to yourself.

Abraham lied about Sarah being his Daughter. Just because someone in the OT did something and did not have a revelation about something, and God let it slide, is no indication that it's actually OK.

They did not have the Holy Spirit or the full Word like we do, or even super quick ways to find out what God said.

This thinking is why some still think we should have more than one wife. Who could survive 2 wives anyway?

Lying, in any form is bad.............. God is more than able to protect without having to lie.

Also we don't have to answer. Even if police ask you questions, you say I am not answering questions and they are OK with that. It's a right to remain silent.

Rahab did not do the right thing, God had mercy and it worked out.

Remember what got Peter in trouble??? Same type of thing that should have gotten Rahab and Abraham in trouble. He was afraid, and said He did not know Jesus. Same fear, some thought that not deceiving it will not work out.

If we never Give the devil an place by lying, then How can the devil harm us? He can't.
But wasn't she doing the right thing protecting them from danger by hiding them. And God used her for that. I don't know and understand that fully. What your saying is that God would have protected them anyhow (i can understand that) , so God had mercy on Rahab because she tried to do what was right in her eyes?

In some extreme circumstances, lying may be necessary to avoid greater sin.

For example, in the Holocaust, people had to hid Jews from the killing squads. When the nazis came asking them if they had Jews, would it not be greater sin to say "Yes, we do, take them." when you know they will be committing another sin against them, like murder? But that is an EXTREME case.

Lying is sin.

Reactions: Sal
Not only is it a sin, but it's a sin to swear even if you are telling the truth.

But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. All you need to say is a simple “Yes” or “No.” Otherwise you will be condemned.

But wasn't she doing the right thing protecting them from danger by hiding them. And God used her for that. I don't know and understand that fully. What your saying is that God would have protected them anyhow (i can understand that) , so God had mercy on Rahab because she tried to do what was right in her eyes?

Protecting them from What Sal? Faith that if she did not lie, they would die.

What was she protecting them from?

She lied because she was in fear for them. That is Lying Sal!!!
Peter Lied because he did not want to die!!!

Notice how he matured and handled things differently later. They were going to chop off his head the next morning and Peter was asleep!!!! Heck, the angel that came to save him had to wake him up, and remind him to get his coat also. Faith rest, it never lies, because lying comes from fear.

Did you know Fear, is actually faith in something horrible to come to pass? Something that has yet to happen?

What did Shadrack, Meeshack and abendigo say. (However you spell their names)

They said........... Now King, we don't want to die and we have been serving your gods.................

NO, they did not say that.....

They said.............. No need to talk about this, you know where we stand and if you throw us into that fire, our God will deliver us, and if you don't throw us in, we still won't serve your gods.........

Now that is faith. Notice, they were OK.

All Rehab had to say is that My God will deliver us, and no harm shall come to us.

In some extreme circumstances, lying may be necessary to avoid greater sin.

For example, in the Holocaust, people had to hid Jews from the killing squads. When the nazis came asking them if they had Jews, would it not be greater sin to say "Yes, we do, take them." when you know they will be committing another sin against them, like murder? But that is an EXTREME case.

Lying is sin.

Do you have Jews?

Not answering your question.

Do you have Jews..

Yes we do and if you touch them the angles of the Lord will smite you.

I don't understand this new age culture that calls itself christian and yet endorses situational ethics.

Thou shalt not lie............. That is it, end of discussion.

It could be that God understands I am a man, and this women wants to have kids, and I don't want her to be sad, so I just have sex with her until she gets pregnant. God understands we are not married because God does not want me sad, and he wants this women to have kids..............

I am amazed and grieved we have a generation of believers full of the World.

Sorry Michael, I didn't mean to say lying was okay. I just didn't realize there was another way out of that situation.

I am not jumping on you.

Keep in mind, when the Germans went to look for Jews at a house or barn, they had intel that they may be there.

No matter what the person said to them when they knocked on the door, the place was still going to get searched.

It's no different today, if an officer ask you to step out of the car, then 9/10 your going to jail anyway and you might as well just keep your mouth shut.

The devil is the author of lies, and we don't want any part of that at all.

God put up with a whole lot of things in the OT, simply because the people did not know any better or understand better.

If you read the NT, even lying to the Holy Spirit got a couple killed.............. Peter lied and got in big trouble.

God always protects and we have a right to keep our mouth shut.

As I said, it did not matter what people told the Germans, if they were there, they were getting searched anyway. All you would say is come on in and look for yourselves. That is not lying.

Be blessed

Protecting them from What Sal? Faith that if she did not lie, they would die.

What was she protecting them from?

She lied because she was in fear for them. That is Lying Sal!!!
Peter Lied because he did not want to die!!!

Notice how he matured and handled things differently later. They were going to chop off his head the next morning and Peter was asleep!!!! Heck, the angel that came to save him had to wake him up, and remind him to get his coat also. Faith rest, it never lies, because lying comes from fear.

Did you know Fear, is actually faith in something horrible to come to pass? Something that has yet to happen?

What did Shadrack, Meeshack and abendigo say. (However you spell their names)

They said........... Now King, we don't want to die and we have been serving your gods.................

NO, they did not say that.....

They said.............. No need to talk about this, you know where we stand and if you throw us into that fire, our God will deliver us, and if you don't throw us in, we still won't serve your gods.........

Now that is faith. Notice, they were OK.

All Rehab had to say is that My God will deliver us, and no harm shall come to us.

Do you have Jews?

Not answering your question.

Do you have Jews..

Yes we do and if you touch them the angles of the Lord will smite you.

I don't understand this new age culture that calls itself christian and yet endorses situational ethics.

Thou shalt not lie............. That is it, end of discussion.

It could be that God understands I am a man, and this women wants to have kids, and I don't want her to be sad, so I just have sex with her until she gets pregnant. God understands we are not married because God does not want me sad, and he wants this women to have kids..............

I am amazed and grieved we have a generation of believers full of the World.

Got it thank you. Because i know what fear is ,and now i'm in Christ , no need to fear.

Last edited:
Not sure. It's hard to look at someone that got shot or run over and not tell them it will be okay. I know it's lying but still.

I am not jumping on you.

Keep in mind, when the Germans went to look for Jews at a house or barn, they had intel that they may be there.

No matter what the person said to them when they knocked on the door, the place was still going to get searched.

It's no different today, if an officer ask you to step out of the car, then 9/10 your going to jail anyway and you might as well just keep your mouth shut.

The devil is the author of lies, and we don't want any part of that at all.

God put up with a whole lot of things in the OT, simply because the people did not know any better or understand better.

If you read the NT, even lying to the Holy Spirit got a couple killed.............. Peter lied and got in big trouble.

God always protects and we have a right to keep our mouth shut.

As I said, it did not matter what people told the Germans, if they were there, they were getting searched anyway. All you would say is come on in and look for yourselves. That is not lying.

Be blessed

since lying to the holy spirit can get a couple killed, would it still be lying if someone asked you the date, and you remembered the date wrong and say the date? It's not like you are actually lying. but that's what you think the date was.

What? How is making a mistake a lie? What comes from inside the man defiles the man.

You will also find a man is able to remember the day they get a million, yet forget the day they promised their neighbor to help with their yard.

What? How is making a mistake a lie? What comes from inside the man defiles the man.

You will also find a man is able to remember the day they get a million, yet forget the day they promised their neighbor to help with their yard.

Oooh. That's really sucks. If I was the man in your example, I would never forget about helping the neighbor with the yardwork. I would put reminders on the fridge, so it won't be forgotten. Just remember to forgive people for making mistakes that they did unintentionally. Haven't you did some mistake, and forgot about some important day in your life before? How would you feel people stop talking to you just because you made that mistake. We all should be forgiving to other people even if they forgot. I am sure they remembered, they would have done it.

You can, depends on who is with you when you tell them. Had a situation like that not long ago. On android so not pecking out the gory details but remind me later.

There is a tiny fraction of christians who claim to be 'saved', but hardly has the fruits of the spirit (Gala 5:22-23). In such cases the claim 'saved' could be a lie!

Back