Is it true that we are saved through faith in Jesus alone?

As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone? If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins? And doesn't the scripture in the Book of Revelation about unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins not inheriting the Kingdom of God contradict with the we are saved through Christ alone theory?

The 'alone' bit refers to Jesus Christ, meaning that there is no other name by which we are saved. There isnt any contradiction, because Jesus saves us from those sins when we repent and believe In Him. If we did not repent, we would not believe that Jesus died to save us, so we would just continue on in our sins without ever being forgiven.

Sometimes people get syntax mixed up in .english and things backwards, so it can be confusing. Old english can sometimes be like yoda talking.

As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone? If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins? And doesn't the scripture in the Book of Revelation about unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins not inheriting the Kingdom of God contradict with the we are saved through Christ alone theory?

Ephesians 5:5
For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

There is no theory but Truth.
Jesus took upon Himself our sins and paid our dept in hell that......
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The Holy Spirit can not live in an unrepentant heart nor can sinful man enter into the kingdom of God or partake in the things of God.

Blessings to you
FCJ

Allison, you have asked a really good question and I am pleased and blessed to be able to speak to it with you.

The Bible teaches us that salvation is actually a "process. Yes, we are saved the very moment we place our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, however that is only the 1st step.

That 1st step is theologically referred to as "Regeneration" and some people also call it Justification. It means that we have been "Saved" from the punishment of sin by the coming judgment of God.

The 2nd step then is called "Sanctification". Some say that means we are being saved from the power of sin as we live out our lives today.

Then the 3rd step then is "Glorification" which is also referreded to as being saved from the presence of sin.

All of that then can be wrapped up in the popular teaching of......"We have been saved, we are being saved, and we will be saved".

All of that is then involved and seen in Repentance of the sinner, as that is the only way we know a man has been saved and that is by a "changed life"!!!!
A changed life as seen from repentance then results in that person then having a desire to please God in that he now wants to do good works, not to be saved but as a result of being saved.

Now as for Rev. 21:8 which you used.

Please understand that the Bible does not say that good works qualify you for heaven and neither does the Bible say that no works or bad works keep you from heaven. Also, there is NO such thought in the Bible as "theory". ......It is what God said and that is it. We either accept the Bible as God's Word or we do not but theories simply do not apply to its teachings.

Then consider the Bib le fact that No works do not bar us from Heaven. That would be salvation by works. Rev. 21:8 describes those who do not know God. Good works cannot earn us eternal life. A spiritual birth is necessary for eternal life which is regeneration and that is the act of Repentance.

Hebrews 9:27-28.................
“And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation”.

Major is correct, salvation is a process and it begins with an understanding. That understanding turns into repentance, which simply means to "change one's mind." Someone who is a Christian does NOT want to sin though they struggle to learn how to be free. Calling out to God for help is the first step of all issues.

Joel 2:32 (KJV)
And it shall come to pass, [that] whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Romans 10:13 (KJV)
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

For me, the question would be.. - If we do truly and fully believe, then how can we not repent? To ponder all that the Bible teaches us... to believe everything that Christ suffered was for us.. then how can we not be sorry in knowing that it was our sin that caused it? Our sin being the reason He was treated so brutally... a pure, innocent, loving, perfect, son of God... treated worse than a slaughtered and sacrificed animal.... because God so loves us - the sinners.

For me, the question would be.. - If we do truly and fully believe, then how can we not repent? To ponder all that the Bible teaches us... to believe everything that Christ suffered was for us.. then how can we not be sorry in knowing that it was our sin that caused it? Our sin being the reason He was treated so brutally... a pure, innocent, loving, perfect, son of God... treated worse than a slaughtered and sacrificed animal.... because God so loves us - the sinners.

"Repent" as you know, means to change direction.

If the lost man does not change his direction in life from what he wants to do to what God wants him to do then he is not saved from the coming judgment.

John 8:11...…...
"She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”

That of course does not mean that we will not sin anymore after we are saved, but it does mean that we are to stop practicing the "Known" sin we are involved in as that is a sign of actual repentance.

Well Jesus does require obedience, that completes the faith. If we say we are saved by faith in Christ sacrifice yet we do not obey commands of God in all the sins, but continue to practice them, then we do not really have the faith do we? (Rev14:12)

But, Christ is realistic, we will NOT be perfect, we will fall even if we really want to obey God as Paul said a war in the flesh is what is started, we will sin, we will fall--- but we do NOT need to stay down, we can repent and renew the good fight. Because we fail, repentance will be necessary to continue in the faith rather than just give up and give in to works of sinful flesh.

It is a very personal battle, but as John said Christ conquered the world and so do those with the FAITH in Jesus Christ and God Almighty. Just stay loyal to the faith and its commands of God and then we conquer by Christ. REPENTANCE is a continual process while in the sinful flesh, so yes a mantra alone without some personal effort to obey is really not too reassuring.

2 Peter 3:9 shows this continual repentance is a process, not a one time act:

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

REACH repentance is attaining a state of faithful perseverance for Christians who have been at this for a while. True, as per Revelation 14:6-8 and the sheep and goats, some ignorant people will be saved and repent very quickly (Rom2), but the follow through will still be required.

But "good people" in isolated ignorance have to be saved by God because Christ bought the world regardless of a person's personal state of Christ awareness--- in fact those with more time and knowledge are who need to stay awake because there is more responsibility with the awareness of Christ and his commands.

Romans 2:15

They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ,as my gospel declares.

Last edited:
Well Jesus does require obedience, that completes the faith. If we say we are saved by faith in Christ sacrifice yet we do not obey commands of God in all the sins, but continue to practice them, then we do not really have the faith do we? (Rev14:12)

Well said, StarTemple.

Alison asks a good question with good posts from everyone that gives us moments to reflect on Christ.

Reading this topic blesses me.

God bless you all and thank you.

Churches and forums are generally unyielding and unforgiving. To clarify, the life process is lost in them and yet everything about life is growth based. We are all born, we live, we grow, live, grow, live, ... die. It is no different for the Spiritman within us, yet they demand a 90-year old maturity in babies, toddlers, teens, and young adults. As I grow older, I see that in me towards myself. I sin, I sulk for days. Learning to forgive ourselves is as important as allowing others to learn from their own mistakes without cruel judgements and allow them to lean on Jesus' work instead of thrashing the scriptures at them like Zeus and his thunderbolt. I suppose that is why when the Pharisees brought the adulterous woman (where was the man?) to Him and after writing in the dirt, the OLDER ones left first.

A baby isn't strong and able to defend themselves against an enemy. They grow, they learn, they live by experience. Questions are the means for one to grow on their own and learn to obey. I remember reading about how children in the 70's had a roaming distance from their homes of about 10-20 miles. Today's children have a roaming distance from their homes of only 2-3 miles at most. I think this explains why the world is going so bad, the churches and forums don't accommodate exploration of the truth realized by experiences. Some will interpret what I'm saying as a license to sin, but they would be wrong.The understanding and beliefs are what make us succeed or fail. For example, if I knock on someone's door and the Spirit isn't in the act and I show the owner the error of his ways via the scriptures, they may understand, repeat some formula of words and are told they are now saved, but nothing has changed, no repentance. Some even do change into religious zealots thinking they are God's children. Yet, they are still the walking dead, and worse off, because now they have religion instead of repentance, formula living instead of freedom living.

I haven't a clue why I wrote all this, but I felt it was necessary. Maybe for me. God bless.

Churches and forums are generally unyielding and unforgiving. To clarify, the life process is lost in them and yet everything about life is growth based. We are all born, we live, we grow, live, grow, live, ... die. It is no different for the Spiritman within us, yet they demand a 90-year old maturity in babies, toddlers, teens, and young adults. As I grow older, I see that in me towards myself. I sin, I sulk for days. Learning to forgive ourselves is as important as allowing others to learn from their own mistakes without cruel judgements and allow them to lean on Jesus' work instead of thrashing the scriptures at them like Zeus and his thunderbolt. I suppose that is why when the Pharisees brought the adulterous woman (where was the man?) to Him and after writing in the dirt, the OLDER ones left first.

A baby isn't strong and able to defend themselves against an enemy. They grow, they learn, they live by experience. Questions are the means for one to grow on their own and learn to obey. I remember reading about how children in the 70's had a roaming distance from their homes of about 10-20 miles. Today's children have a roaming distance from their homes of only 2-3 miles at most. I think this explains why the world is going so bad, the churches and forums don't accommodate exploration of the truth realized by experiences. Some will interpret what I'm saying as a license to sin, but they would be wrong.The understanding and beliefs are what make us succeed or fail. For example, if I knock on someone's door and the Spirit isn't in the act and I show the owner the error of his ways via the scriptures, they may understand, repeat some formula of words and are told they are now saved, but nothing has changed, no repentance. Some even do change into religious zealots thinking they are God's children. Yet, they are still the walking dead, and worse off, because now they have religion instead of repentance, formula living instead of freedom living.

I haven't a clue why I wrote all this, but I felt it was necessary. Maybe for me. God bless.

Good stuff my friend!

When you teach young children its interesting because they are all learning the bible. Some have read it more than others but you see they each try to apply what they've learned and its a process and not everyone 'gets it' at first bat. Asking questions is good because it shows they are really thinking about what the Word means. Sometimes its hard to connect the dots of scripture as in many churches people just skip from one verse to the next all over the Bible! Like they will say a few verses from ephesians then go back to Jeremiah and then another from Revelation etc and to someone that hasnt read the entire Bible, this is confusing!!

Thats why its so important to just simply READ the bible from one chapter to the next and why in many older churches each week they simply just read where they left of from the last chapter. In Jesus day it was all in a scroll so you just didnt skip passages willy nilly, You read through the entire scripture. verses werent each numbered back then as they are now.

When PAul writes to Timothy about being a good workman, rightly dividing scripture, hes talking about sharing the Bible so correctly in order, and not quoting it and leaving stuff out. For example I could say God so loved the world, but if I didnt share the rest of that verse I would only be giving a half truth.

When you teach young children its interesting because they are all learning the bible. Some have read it more than others but you see they each try to apply what they've learned and its a process and not everyone 'gets it' at first bat. Asking questions is good because it shows they are really thinking about what the Word means. Sometimes its hard to connect the dots of scripture as in many churches people just skip from one verse to the next all over the Bible! Like they will say a few verses from ephesians then go back to Jeremiah and then another from Revelation etc and to someone that hasnt read the entire Bible, this is confusing!!

Thats why its so important to just simply READ the bible from one chapter to the next and why in many older churches each week they simply just read where they left of from the last chapter. In Jesus day it was all in a scroll so you just didnt skip passages willy nilly, You read through the entire scripture. verses werent each numbered back then as they are now.

When PAul writes to Timothy about being a good workman, rightly dividing scripture, hes talking about sharing the Bible so correctly in order, and not quoting it and leaving stuff out. For example I could say God so loved the world, but if I didnt share the rest of that verse I would only be giving a half truth.

I agree. The key to all Bible understanding is "Context".

There are lessons that can be drawn from every Bible Scripture but not every Bible Scripture applies to us today. In other words, all scripture is profitable, but not every passage is for our participation or obedience.

Allow me to use the Ark as just one example. Surely we can agree that when God told Noah to build an ark, he was speaking to Noah and not to anyone in the 21st century. Once realizing the proper context, we can understand the limits of its application. While we may learn the spiritual truths about Noah’s righteous obedience as an example, or his faithful diligence despite being persecuted, we would be wrong to go and build an ark because “since God said it, I’m supposed to obey it”.

If you have been saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, then you are a Christian. If you have been baptized then you define yourself as a Christian and a child of God. Those who define themselves as "unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins" will not inherit the kingdom of God. Question becomes, "Who do you choose to be?"

That's why when God called Himself "I am", it was a powerful statement. When you say "I am ________" (fill in the blank), it says something about you and who you are. You are defining yourself.

Blessings

If you have been saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, then you are a Christian. If you have been baptized then you define yourself as a Christian and a child of God. Those who define themselves as "unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins" will not inherit the kingdom of God. Question becomes, "Who do you choose to be?"

That's why when God called Himself "I am", it was a powerful statement. When you say "I am ________" (fill in the blank), it says something about you and who you are. You are defining yourself.

Blessings

"I Am a child of God".

There will be no more sin in Heaven since Satan fell, and those who want to make Heaven their eternal home must be perfect as God is perfect.

However, since Adam sinned with his disobedience he opened himself up to a sinful nature which in and of itself is rebellious toward God. Once this nature became a part of Adam by his disobedience to God, there was no chance of him ever being perfect again on his own. He could not get back to the sinless man that he was when God created him.

So God promised to send him and his offspring a Saviour Who would redeem mankind from our sinful state but that it wouldn't be easy. Our Redeemer would bruise Satan's head (break the power of his kingdom) and Satan would bruise His heel. Going to the cross cost our Lord His life (His heel) but He still had His kingdom intact and gained the lives of all those who would be redemed by putting their faith in Him, which would bring them out of their sinfulness and into His righteousness.

Jesus didn't come to do away with the Law but to fulfill it. The demand of God's Law is righteousness because we must be sinless to enter Heaven, and since we can't be righteous on our own, our faith must be in the One Who earned Heaven 'for' us.

And we ourselves must keep God's Law (because how can we be holy before the Lord if we're living like the devil ) although keeping His law is not what justifies us before our Redeemer, it's our faith in what "He's" done!

Reactions: aha

YES!

John 14:6...…….
"Jesus said untot hem, I AM the way the truth and the life and no goes to the Father but through ME!"

We do not have any righteouseness. We have the righteousness of Jesus Christ imputed to us.

The truth of the matter is that, on our own and by our own efforts, we can’t possibly be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect. We don’t love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. We don’t love our neighbors as ourselves. We have a problem, and it’s called sin. We are born with it, and we cannot overcome the effects of it on our own. Sin radically affects us to our core. Sin affects what we do, say, and think. In other words, it taints everything about us. Therefore, no matter how good we try to be, we will never meet God’s standard of perfection.

That’s why Jesus lived a perfect life in full obedience to the law of God in thought, word, and deed. Jesus’ mission wasn’t simply to die on the cross for our sins but also to live a life of perfect righteousness. Theologians refer to this as the “active and passive obedience of Christ.” Active obedience refers to Christ’s life of sinless perfection. Everything He did was perfect. Passive obedience refers to Christ’s submission to the crucifixion. He went willingly to the cross and allowed Himself to be crucified without resisting (Isaiah 53:7). His passive obedience pays our sin debt before God, but it is the active obedience that gives us the perfection God requires.

The apostle Paul writes, “But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe” (Romans 3:21–22). Through our faith in Christ, the righteousness of God is given to us. This is called “imputed” righteousness.
https://www.gotquestions.org/imputed-righteousness.html

There will be no more sin in Heaven since Satan fell, and those who want to make Heaven their eternal home must be perfect as God is perfect.

However, since Adam sinned with his disobedience he opened himself up to a sinful nature which in and of itself is rebellious toward God. Once this nature became a part of Adam by his disobedience to God, there was no chance of him ever being perfect again on his own. He could not get back to the sinless man that he was when God created him.

So God promised to send him and his offspring a Saviour Who would redeem mankind from our sinful state but that it wouldn't be easy. Our Redeemer would bruise Satan's head (break the power of his kingdom) and Satan would bruise His heel. Going to the cross cost our Lord His life (His heel) but He still had His kingdom intact and gained the lives of all those who would be redemed by putting their faith in Him, which would bring them out of their sinfulness and into His righteousness.

Jesus didn't come to do away with the Law but to fulfill it. The demand of God's Law is righteousness because we must be sinless to enter Heaven, and since we can't be righteous on our own, our faith must be in the One Who earned Heaven 'for' us.

And we ourselves must keep God's Law (because how can we be holy before the Lord if we're living like the devil ) although keeping His law is not what justifies us before our Redeemer, it's our faith in what "He's" done!

I must disagree with your opinion of keeping the Law.

We can not in any way keep the Law of God. NO ONE has ever been saved by keeping the law and in fact the Law was not given to save man.

Gal 3:11...…...
"Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”

Should we want to be obedient and keep God's law...…...YES!
Should strive to Keep God's Law...…………………………………..YES!

The problem is the sin nature within us that will not allow us to be obedient. That is the reason Jesus had to come and die for us.

The thing about the law is that no amount of “law-keeping” can ever erase any “law-breaking.

The law, in fact, is only concerned with those who violate it, not those who keep it.

Have you ever had a Police Officer pull you over for driving safely within the speed limit? But I would bet the farm that you have been pulled over for breaking the posted speed limit! And, frankly, the Officer really didn’t care that you had driven the last hundred miles within the speed limit, nor did he really care that you drove the rest of the way home slowly. You received a ticket for breaking the law, but you have never received a commendation for obeying it!

This is the dilemma faced by anyone who attempts to be saved by keeping God’s Law. You can keep it perfectly your entire life, yet if you break it one single time, you are guilty and a “Law-breaker.”

James tells us that even if we are guilty of breaking a single part of the Law, we have become guilty under the whole thing! (James 2:9-10).

If we steal but do not commit adultery, it doesn’t matter: we are guilty of breaking the Law of God. Even if we were to do so only once.

I must disagree with your opinion of keeping the Law.

We can not in any way keep the Law of God. NO ONE has ever been saved by keeping the law and in fact the Law was not given to save man.

Gal 3:11...…...
"Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”

Should we want to be obedient and keep God's law...…...YES!
Should strive to Keep God's Law...…………………………………..YES!

The problem is the sin nature within us that will not allow us to be obedient. That is the reason Jesus had to come and die for us.

The thing about the law is that no amount of “law-keeping” can ever erase any “law-breaking.

The law, in fact, is only concerned with those who violate it, not those who keep it.

Have you ever had a Police Officer pull you over for driving safely within the speed limit? But I would bet the farm that you have been pulled over for breaking the posted speed limit! And, frankly, the Officer really didn’t care that you had driven the last hundred miles within the speed limit, nor did he really care that you drove the rest of the way home slowly. You received a ticket for breaking the law, but you have never received a commendation for obeying it!

This is the dilemma faced by anyone who attempts to be saved by keeping God’s Law. You can keep it perfectly your entire life, yet if you break it one single time, you are guilty and a “Law-breaker.”

James tells us that even if we are guilty of breaking a single part of the Law, we have become guilty under the whole thing! (James 2:9-10).

If we steal but do not commit adultery, it doesn’t matter: we are guilty of breaking the Law of God. Even if we were to do so only once.

Apparently Major, the last line of my post didn't stick when you read it. God bless you my brother.

And we ourselves must keep God's Law....although keeping His law is not what justifies us before our Redeemer, it's our faith in what "He's" done!

I found it a pattern when reading a post or an essay or usually in a song: the core of the thought is usually found in the

First Line of the song: it gets the first attention and many times a song is remembered by its first line, precisely not a few songs are named found in the first line.

example: “Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound”…

Chorus: and this one people usually remembers: repeating the thought: the climax of the song or one of the core message of the song..
Example: a lot of song that I cannot think of what to choose as an example, but see one as below :)

Last line of a song: to close, to conclude: to emphasize the point being made.

Example: “My heart will go on and on”… by Celine Dion

My reason for the post above?
Something I like to do in office meetings or in forums: to connect thoughts and reason for difference and how it arise, because I usually found people agree in the core or the spirit of the matter , but sometimes words get in the way...

"Words Get in the Way" a song by Gloria Stefan, it is found in the Chorus :)

But the words get in the way
There's so much I want to say
But it's locked deep inside and if you look in my eyes
We might fall in love again

Last edited:
Back