Is it true that we are saved through faith in Jesus alone?

or the difference of thoughts or opinion or conclusion may involve LISTENING:

It is interesting to note the Chinese character for "LISTEN": it consists of several components:

Ear = What you use to listen (hear)
King = Pay attention as if the other person were king (obey)
Ten and Eye = Be observant as if you had ten eyes (heed)
One = Listen with individual attention (attend to)
Heart = Listen also with your heart (in addition to ear and eye) (hearken)

Am posting this for myself as well, to improve myself my LISTENING skills :)

Chinese-character-for-listen.png

https://christianforumsite.com/threads/god-bless-the-child.51564/#post-481687

Last edited:
Please do not get the Laws of God mixed up and place them in one box.

There is the Old Law (old covenant laws)

Then there are the Laws of the Kingdom in which we must abide in.
Example Law of Faith
Law of Love etc.

Note Jesus made us Holy and Righteous and yet must still strive to mature and grow.

Note: There has only been one man who has or ever could keep the old covenant law and that is Jesus or Lord and Savoir our Christ!!

Blessings
FCJ

As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone? If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins? And doesn't the scripture in the Book of Revelation about unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins not inheriting the Kingdom of God contradict with the we are saved through Christ alone theory?
Yes, we are saved through faith in Jesus. The confusion may come through what faith means to the average person.

Some will say all we need to have faith in is that Jesus existed as a person and He died for our sins. While this is true, I don't think it is the full picture. I think the faith Jesus is wanting is not faith in a name only, but in the name AND what the name represents.

What does the name of Jesus represent? When we know this answer, then the question about what kind of faith do we need will become crystal clear.

In peace

As Christians are we really saved through faith in Jesus Christ alone? If that's really true, then why do we have to repent for our sins? And doesn't the scripture in the Book of Revelation about unbelievers,abominable,liars,murderers,idolterers and those who commit sexual sins not inheriting the Kingdom of God contradict with the we are saved through Christ alone theory?

Salvation is a concluded fact, a present process and a future prospect. We were saved by Christ's death and resurrection when we accepted him as Lord and savior and we got born again, we are being saved daily by the washing of the word as we are transformed by the Holy Spirit when we follow his will according to the word of God and we will be saved from these bodies and from this sinful world when Christ sets up his new kingdom, when these mortal bodies put on immortality and the devil is destroyed in the lake of fire.

Repentance is the first step in salvation after one hears the word of God and discovers that they are a sinner and separated from God and are actually under his wrath. You feel sorry that you have been living contrary to the will of God and your heart testifies to you that you are a sinner. You then, after recieving Christ as your personal saviour seek to do those things which are pleasing to him. You cannot serve two masters, either you follow Christ or you follow Satan. Sin is deceptive, it will lead you to believe that as long as Christ died for you, you can continue to sin. This is what Jude addressed in his letter. When you faithfully start walking with and listening to the Holy Spirit, you will be shown what areas of your life need to change and what areas are displeasing to him. Two cannot walk unless they are agreed, Amos 3:3. You cannot walk with the Holy Spirit and sin willfully without the Holy Spirit revealing that to you.

Salvation is a concluded fact, a present process and a future prospect. We were saved by Christ's death and resurrection when we accepted him as Lord and savior and we got born again, we are being saved daily by the washing of the word as we are transformed by the Holy Spirit when we follow his will according to the word of God and we will be saved from these bodies and from this sinful world when Christ sets up his new kingdom, when these mortal bodies put on immortality and the devil is destroyed in the lake of fire.

Repentance is the first step in salvation after one hears the word of God and discovers that they are a sinner and separated from God and are actually under his wrath. You feel sorry that you have been living contrary to the will of God and your heart testifies to you that you are a sinner. You then, after recieving Christ as your personal saviour seek to do those things which are pleasing to him. You cannot serve two masters, either you follow Christ or you follow Satan. Sin is deceptive, it will lead you to believe that as long as Christ died for you, you can continue to sin. This is what Jude addressed in his letter. When you faithfully start walking with and listening to the Holy Spirit, you will be shown what areas of your life need to change and what areas are displeasing to him. Two cannot walk unless they are agreed, Amos 3:3. You cannot walk with the Holy Spirit and sin willfully without the Holy Spirit revealing that to you.
Amen Brother!!
That's key.....Repentance and Change is a 24/7/365 on going way of life for us.

Thank you
Blessings
FCJ

Hi Allison, are you still following this thread?

I think the idea of "faith alone" is something of a misnomer. The only place this phrase appears in scripture is James 2:24, "You see that a man is justified by works and NOT by faith alone." Perhaps it would be help if we understood what faith is. Faith is from the word πίστις which means 'to be persuaded.' The word is translated in the NT as both faith and belief and reflects two interlocking dynamics. The first is the mental acceptance of a set of facts. The second is the action that responds to that conviction. Belief is the fundamental structure for salvation but belief is never presented in scripture as simply an intellectual exorcise. Biblical faith is more than just a simple acknowledgement of a set of revealed truths. Faith is always presented as a behavior structure that actively responds to the word of God. James makes the point that faith apart from obedience to the will of God is not faith. Faith is legitimized only when it is linked to action. We see this in a number of examples given by the Hebrew writer. In Hebrews 11 belief/faith is inseparably linked to active response that legitimizes what the mind has accepted as true. Without obedience to the will of God, there is no acknowledgement of faith. By faith, those offered as examples did what God commanded, and because they did, God regarded them as faithful. How would it be possible to be saved by faith if one's life and conduct does not demonstrate faithfulness?

Perhaps it would be help if we understood what faith is. Faith is from the word πίστις which means 'to be persuaded.' The word is translated in the NT as both faith and belief and reflects two interlocking dynamics. How would it be possible to be saved by faith if one's life and conduct does not demonstrate faithfulness?

Well said, oldhermit, amen.

Hello Alison;

Faith alone is not the final component for salvation. Faith is only one of the transforming benefits in our union with Christ and in this conversion we accept our new standing with Jesus, branding His Word on our heart. This liberates our lives as the Holy Spirit dwells within us.

But this does not mean our obedience omits us from repenting of our sins.

How would it be possible to be saved by faith if one's life and conduct does not demonstrate faithfulness?

God bless you and your family.

Your question, Are Christians saved be belief in Jesus Christ alone saved, causes me to think in more depth about this issue?

My understanding is that Abram was saved by believing God, Peter was saved by believing that Jesus was the Messiah and of course Paul teaches in his teaching of the Gospel that we are saved by believing in the birth, death/shed blood and resurrection of Jesus which was kept hidden from the Apostles?

I wonder if just believing in Jesus is enough today when we have the Gospel? Some people assert that satan believes in Jesus and can perform miracles but is detined for hell? Since God knows our hearts and a sincere profession of faith is proclaimed, and there is a change in a person followed by baptism, other than a death bed conversion, I am persuaded that that person is in fact saved?

John

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb. 11:1). Faith puts substance (believing) to the things we previously only hoped for, such as Heaven! Putting faith in Christ for our salvation opens our heart to Him. From then on, our faith needs to bring forth fruit in our daily lives by obedience to the Holy Spirit Who is our daily Guide. "If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (Lk. 9:23)
God will work in those who will let Him work. And when we let God work IN us, then He can work THROUGH us.

Your question, Are Christians saved be belief in Jesus Christ alone saved, causes me to think in more depth about this issue?

My understanding is that Abram was saved by believing God, Peter was saved by believing that Jesus was the Messiah and of course Paul teaches in his teaching of the Gospel that we are saved by believing in the birth, death/shed blood and resurrection of Jesus which was kept hidden from the Apostles?

I wonder if just believing in Jesus is enough today when we have the Gospel? Some people assert that satan believes in Jesus and can perform miracles but is detined for hell? Since God knows our hearts and a sincere profession of faith is proclaimed, and there is a change in a person followed by baptism, other than a death bed conversion, I am persuaded that that person is in fact saved?

John

Hello thorndale;

Thank you for sharing your post and how Abram was saved by believing God. I agree this should cause all of us to reflect more in depth.

Can anyone share between our faith and our belief in Christ? Does this mean the same thing, or does Scripture distinguish between the two? This is not a trick, right or wrong question, but an opportunity to hear and learn from each other in this topic.

God bless you all and your families.

Hello thorndale;

Thank you for sharing your post and how Abram was saved by believing God. I agree this should cause all of us to reflect more in depth.

Can anyone share between our faith and our belief in Christ? Does this mean the same thing, or does Scripture distinguish between the two? This is not a trick, right or wrong question, but an opportunity to hear and learn from each other in this topic.

God bless you all and your families.
The differentiation between faith and belief would seem to be the difference between the cognitive response - the abstract intellectual exorcise of accepting something as truth, and the active response which is more concrete. This is the point James makes about faith. Belief is an abstract. It cannot be seen. In order for faith to be legitimized, it must be demonstrated in observable behavior. You cannot see belief but, you can see the results of belief. This is called faith.

Last edited:
My answer would be yes. And yet repentance is part of the faith practice, if you will. First we repent of our sins and God says He shall remember them no more. After that the sins we commit have a mediator with God, in that of Christ. So in that sense we are no longer able to say we are sinners sinning. Because a sinner is one who has not been reborn into the grace covenant so as to now be a saint.(One who is set apart). All this is possible because God called us to him. No one can come to Christ unless the Father calls them. John 6. (Verses 44 &45
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me...)

James tells us that faith without works is dead. I don't think that tells us we have to work to keep faith or that we have to work in order to be qualified for eternal salvation. I think it means that if we say we have faith in the same Lord that served His people while He walked among them and showed God's power through healing, casting out devils, and more, and we do not do the work of the Lord as he calls us to, that our faith in that same Jesus is dead.

Christian then becomes a word or lip service under the banner of religion. We believe in the Jesus that carried out the work of the Father yet do nothing in service ourselves, even when little opportunities present themselves, like smiling and looking into the eyes of a sad stranger, then we are not at all demonstrating we are Christ-like.

Back