Is Jesus truly omniscient?

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)

I would also like to note that I have never seen any verses talking about Jesus being omniscient. However, I have seen verses and passages stating that Yahweh is omniscient, both in the Old and New Testaments.

Something to clear up: I still believe that Jesus is God, and that God is omniscient (God the Father, at least, and the Holy Spirit). I also believe that Jesus is just not knowing about this specific subject (the hour of the end, I guess you can say).

How do you feel about this subject?

Jesus is omniscient, and He knows when He is coming back...but when He was here walking this earth, He chose not to know. Now that His work on Earth has been done, He is busy building His Church, and He knows and sees the Day fast approaching when His Father will give Him the command, "My Son, mount up! Go get your Bride!"

I know that Jesus is God in the flesh, that in Him dwells the fullness of the Godhead bodily. That He and the Father are one, that Jesus was God walking on the earth as a man while he lived the 33 years of His life on the earth. So with that being said, He was omniscient while He walked on the earth. How do we reconcile this verse with His omniscience then? I think it has to do with a choice God made for the way things would play out concerning the second coming. You see: in the Jewish wedding tradition, the bridegroom would not know the exact day that he would go and get his bride to take her to the wedding. His father would tell him the day to do this...when everything was ready for this to take place.
There are others on this forum that can explain this better than I can.

You see we as the church are the bride of Christ and the rapture is when Christ returns to take up His bride to the wedding.

Reactions: Juk
A lot depends about when you are talking.

During the time Jesus of Nazareth was doing his ministry among us, He was fully human with all of man's limitations. He voluntarily chose to do this for our benefit. One thing this does for our benefit is make his example directly applicable to us (meaning that His victory over sin shows that our sinful nature is not just because we are not God).

Before the word became flesh, and after the crucifixion, his full omniscience was active.

Hebrews 2:9 [ NASB ]
But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.

A lot depends about when you are talking.

During the time Jesus of Nazareth was doing his ministry among us, He was fully human with all of man's limitations. He voluntarily chose to do this for our benefit. One thing this does for our benefit is make his example directly applicable to us (meaning that His victory over sin shows that our sinful nature is not just because we are not God).

Before the word became flesh, and after the crucifixion, his full omniscience was active.

Hebrews 2:9 [ NASB ]
But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.
No, this is not supported by the scriptures. Jesus was fully God and fully man while He walked on this earth. He simply chose to fully walk in submission and dependence on His Father.

No, this is not supported by the scriptures. Jesus was fully God and fully man while He walked on this earth. He simply chose to fully walk in submission and dependence on His Father.

Not supported by scripture? What does it mean in Hebrews when it says "Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels"? Yes, it was voluntary, but it was a voluntary limitation on His power.

Do you think a 1 year old Jesus had God's omniscience?

The idea that Jesus was omniscient (and omnipotent) is close to the teachings of the gnostics who held that Jesus only a purely spiritual being with a phantom body with which he communicated to those around him.

Denying the humanity of Christ divorces Him (and His sacrifice) from our lives.

The idea that Jesus was omniscient (and omnipotent) is close to the teachings of the gnostics who held that Jesus only a purely spiritual being with a phantom body with which he communicated to those around him.

Denying the humanity of Christ divorces Him (and His sacrifice) from our lives.
You do believe Jesus was God walking in the flesh right? If He was God then how was He not omniscient and omnipotent? Are you saying that He was fully God and fully man, but He chose to empty His godly powers when He walked on the earth?

You know, using everyday logic to discuss God will always allow us to wind each other around the semantic spindle:confused:. But yes, He was fully man. All of His miracles were done using the power of the Holy Spirit as opposed to those of himself. Again, that is to be an example to us of the power of letting the Spirit empower us. His powers did not have to 'go' anywhere. They are abilities not things of substance.

How do you interpret Hebrews 2:9?

You know, using everyday logic to discuss God will always allow us to wind each other around the semantic spindle:confused:. But yes, He was fully man. All of His miracles were done using the power of the Holy Spirit as opposed to those of himself. Again, that is to be an example to us of the power of letting the Spirit empower us. His powers did not have to 'go' anywhere. They are abilities not things of substance.

How do you interpret Hebrews 2:9?

Ok, I do agree with you that He did all His miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit that was working in Him. So, let me just be clear: are you saying that He still had full possession of His powers as God but chose to use none of His own?

I interpret Hebrews 2:9 to mean that He took on the form of a man, that He became fully man as I already mentioned.

I don't want to wind you around the semantic knots that are going through my mind... So, I'll answer it more simply and let it be a little imprecise. I am saying that whole Jesus was in the flesh
> He came into life as a baby.
> He had to learn to walk and talk
> He had to learn the scriptures (but because of his close relationship to the Holy Spirit, he was a phenomenally quick study)
> He did not inherit Adam's sin, but He could be tempted as any human can -- but He overcame all attempts to tempt Him
> Any Miracles He did were by the power of the Holy Spirit (there goes omnipotence, at least in a practical sense).
> All Godly knowledge He needed was supplied by the Holy Spirit (there goes omniscience, at least in a practical sense).
> He possessed a human brain and could not store the knowledge at the level of omniscience.

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)

I would also like to note that I have never seen any verses talking about Jesus being omniscient. However, I have seen verses and passages stating that Yahweh is omniscient, both in the Old and New Testaments.

Something to clear up: I still believe that Jesus is God, and that God is omniscient (God the Father, at least, and the Holy Spirit). I also believe that Jesus is just not knowing about this specific subject (the hour of the end, I guess you can say).

How do you feel about this subject?
He was both fully God AND fully man. He had all abilities but laid them aside to live as a man, to be an example.
Also, He had to represent Himself and His teachings in ways that the people could understand, so that also put limits on what He could do.

As an example of Jesus not being omniscient:

Luke 2:46-47 [NASB]
Then, after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were amazed at His understanding and His answers.

Here, Jesus was both asking and answering questions concerning the Scriptures. Of course the Holy Spirit enabled Him to be truly impressive in understanding. Jesus was asking questions.
Unless you think Jesus was administering a pop-quiz he did not already have all knowledge. Having the Holy Spirit did not mean that all knowledge was instantly available at any time he wished.

Mykuhl what is it that you feel is not correct in Siloams post ?
Jesus operated here on earth as a man. He is our example of how we should live, walk and talk. Jesus did not opertate as God while he was here.
Blessings

Mykuhl what is it that you feel is not correct in Siloams post ?
Jesus operated here on earth as a man. He is our example of how we should live, walk and talk. Jesus did not opertate as God while he was here.
Blessings

Jim,

In his initial post it sounded like he wasn't acknowledging that Jesus was fully God in the flesh as He walked on the earth, that is why I said that.

I agree that Jesus did not operate as God while He was here on earth, but as a man fully submitted to God, walking in the power of the Holy Spirit. He was still fully God though, just chose not to operate as such.

As an example of Jesus not being omniscient:

Luke 2:46-47 [NASB]
Then, after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were amazed at His understanding and His answers.

Here, Jesus was both asking and answering questions concerning the Scriptures. Of course the Holy Spirit enabled Him to be truly impressive in understanding. Jesus was asking questions.
Unless you think Jesus was administering a pop-quiz he did not already have all knowledge. Having the Holy Spirit did not mean that all knowledge was instantly available at any time he wished.

This scripture does not proven that he could not access all knowledge from the Holy Spirit, if He chose to do so. Just because He asked questions does not mean He did not know something. Jesus asked questions during His ministry as an adult as well, He didn't ask because He was ignorant of something though. There was a purpose when He asked questions.

This scripture does not proven that he could not access all knowledge from the Holy Spirit, if He chose to do so. Just because He asked questions does not mean He did not know something. Jesus asked questions during His ministry as an adult as well, He didn't ask because He was ignorant of something though. There was a purpose when He asked questions.

Peace,
I would point out that the original post concerned His omniscience, not His god-hood in general. Being fully God is not a matter of omnipotence and omniscience, but a matter even more fundamental to His nature, particularly that He is to be worshipped. At all times Jesus's fundamental nature includes his divinity.

What happened to Jesus in the water with John the Babtist ?

Jim,

In his initial post it sounded like he wasn't acknowledging that Jesus was fully God in the flesh as He walked on the earth, that is why I said that.

I agree that Jesus did not operate as God while He was here on earth, but as a man fully submitted to God, walking in the power of the Holy Spirit. He was still fully God though, just chose not to operate as such.

;) Thanks,

Back