Is sin bad b/c God says so, or does God say so b/c sin is bad?

Not at all. I'll admit that I've been guilty to that very thing. One thing's for sure, though - the terrible guilt that follows is almost as powerful a motivation to resist Satan the next time as is the forgiveness that Jesus freely offers to me or any other who truly repents and desires victory. However, the solemn warning of Psalm 95:7,8 remains for all believers:

"There is a line unseen by us,
that crosses every path,
the hidden boundary between,
God's patience and His wrath.

Oh, where is this mysterious bourn
By which our path is crossed;
Beyond which God himself hath sworn,
That he who goes is lost.

How far may we go on in sin?
How long will God forbear?
Where does hope end, and where begin
The confines of despair?

An answer from the skies is sent,
“Ye that from God depart,
While it is called today, repent,
And harden not your heart.”

-Joseph Addison Alexander

Yes. I have found myself in that same position, and more than once.

The first position leads to the conclusion: "Grace doesn't change me, just God's opinion of me."

The second leads to another conclusion: "Grace is more than pardon, but also power to become a new creature in Christ Jesus by the moment by moment surrender of my will to His will."

"Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits." Isaiah 30:10

Can anything be more smooth and deceitful than to declare that we can continue living as slaves to sin while at the same time professing to be "more than overcomers" of the same?

Sin is "bad" because God says it is .
and sin is bad because men know it is by experience .
and sin is bad when you consider calvary .
It is therefore both subjectively bad and objectively bad .

God is not right because he is bigger than any body else .
he is right the truth and the fount of it .
he is right and spoke the truth in the beginning and it was and has so been proved the devil was and is a liar even from the beginning .Both about God and as to that which is good .

in Christ
gerald

Sin is "bad" because God says it is .
and sin is bad because men know it is by experience .
and sin is bad when you consider calvary .
It is therefore both subjectively bad and objectively bad .

God is not right because he is bigger than any body else .
he is right the truth and the fount of it .
he is right and spoke the truth in the beginning and it was and has so been proved the devil was and is a liar even from the beginning .Both about God and as to that which is good .

in Christ
gerald
If sin is bad purely on the basis of what God arbitrary says is good and evil (like clean and unclean meat), then why can't He just declare sin to be no longer sin? But, if eating pork that is extremely high in fat, cholesterol, toxins, Trichina Larvae, etc. will make you sick and kill you, then it is a sin to eat unclean meat NOT BECAUSE GOD SAID SO but because doing so will lead to misery, sickness, suffering, and death. I think in this way, sin is bad, not b/c God said so, but God says so b/c sin is bad (specifically, the effects of sin).

If sin is bad purely on the basis of what God arbitrary says is good and evil (like clean and unclean meat), then why can't He just declare sin to be no longer sin? But, if eating pork that is extremely high in fat, cholesterol, toxins, Trichina Larvae, etc. will make you sick and kill you, then it is a sin to eat unclean meat NOT BECAUSE GOD SAID SO but because doing so will lead to misery, sickness, suffering, and death. I think in this way, sin is bad, not b/c God said so, but God says so b/c sin is bad (specifically, the effects of sin).

If you note I did not say sin was sin just because God says so . Therefore it is not arbitrary but reality .
When men fell and corrupted themselves and their reasoning was darkened "it would make them wise" and they were now blind "they saw that it was good to eat" they and we in and of and by ourselves were no longer capable of seeing things as God sees it . But rather "did that which was evil in the sight of God"
God teaches us WHY he made things to be clean and unclean . To teach man that HE not only knows the difference between good and evil but also the clean from the unclean . That God is HOLY and man is not and insofar as sin is concerned then; unclean .
That cannot in of and by itself come into the presence of God and live .
Sin is a reality and so is the law .
"For the sting of death is sin and the power of sin is the law"
God cannot justly and righteously wish it away or command it not to be . For then he would be as you say it would make him to be arbitrary .
"The gifts of God are without repentance" he gave Lucifer "the power of death" He gave man dominion over all of creation.
When Eve did that which was good in her own eyes and when Adam loved Eve more than God and obeyed his wife instead of God .
That dominion and the deeds if you will were handed over to Satan. Where life used to reign now death does .
and" through the fear of death Satan brings men into bondage "
You forget also that God created the world by His WORD . In that respect then it IS because he said so .For God created the world with wisdom .Not in some arbitrary fashion to suit himself .
It was wisdom that dictated he created it the way He did and it was with wisdom and understanding that he planted the garden eastward in Eden and planted every tree that was good to eat and pleasant to the eye in it .It was also wisdom that dictated that two trees be planted in the midst of the garden. A tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and that man be made out of the dust of the earth .
Your supposition that pork is unclean because it can be bad to eat fro you . denies the fact that when Peter was offered a sheet from heaven full, of clean and unclean things to eat .He refused saying I have never let an unclean thing touch my lips .The voice from heaven said say not a thing is unclean when I have cleaned it .
Why was it now clean when it was not before ?
Because the Lamb of God had come and by His sacrifice had taken away the sin of the world. Sin had been judged and you have been made clean, "by the washing of the Word " and by the blood of the lamb .

In Christ
gerald

Back