Is smoking against god?

Why does God refuse to help some of us with our addictions?
Why are some of us bound to things we ourselves do not want to do?

I don't think that it is God doesn't help us; God can only help us when we want help. If your heart is willing, He will help you! That's why He tells us to ask Him, He knows what we need, but we just have to ask!
And God is not silly - if He is an omnipresent God as people say He is, then He is able to see better than we ever can, if we can truly our addictions, the root of the problem, etc.
It would kind of be the same principle with someone who helps homeless people. If the person knew that a certain homeless person would eventually resort back to crack cocaine and shooting speed, they would be more hesitant to help them, no? Just think about it for a moment. I don't think I explained it well...

Thanks for the reply but I still can't see it. I want His help and have asked for it for many years. There is nothing about these explosions I have when things break/go wrong one after the other that I enjoy in any way and I feel pushed into things I don't want to do when it happens.

I don't personally believe the addictions are the root of the problem btw. more symptoms of a something else but try as I might, I can't fathom it.

Thanks for the reply but I still can't see it. I want His help and have asked for it for many years. There is nothing about these explosions I have when things break/go wrong one after the other that I enjoy in any way and I feel pushed into things I don't want to do when it happens.

I don't personally believe the addictions are the root of the problem btw. more symptoms of a something else but try as I might, I can't fathom it.

Well, banjo, I believe your situation is different.
What I was talking about could generally be applied to common issues most people deal with on a day-to-day basis.
I was aware when adding my post that I might be writing about something else...

The Bible never directly mentions smoking. There are principles, however, that definitely apply to smoking. First, the Bible commands us not to allow our bodies to become "mastered" by anything. "Everything is permissible for me—but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me—but I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Corinthians 6:12). Smoking is undeniably strongly addictive. Later in the same passage we are told, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Smoking is undoubtedly very bad for your health. Smoking has been proven to damage the lungs and the heart.

Can smoking be considered "beneficial" (1 Corinthians 6:12)? Can it be said that smoking is truly honoring God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:20)? Can a person honestly smoke "for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31)? We believe that the answer to these three questions is a resounding "no." As a result, we believe that smoking is a sin and therefore should not be practiced by followers of Jesus Christ.

Some argue against this view by pointing to the fact that many people eat unhealthy foods, which can be just as addicting and just as bad for the body. As an example, many people are so helplessly addicted to caffeine that they cannot function without their first cup of coffee in the morning. While this is true, how does that make smoking right? It is our contention that Christians should avoid gluttony and excessively unhealthy eating. Yes, Christians are often hypocritical by condemning one sin and condoning another, but, again, this does not make smoking honoring to God.

Another argument against this view of smoking is that many godly men have been smokers, such as the famous British preacher C.H. Spurgeon, who was known to smoke cigars. Again, we do not believe this argument holds any weight. We believe Spurgeon was wrong for smoking. Was he otherwise a godly man and fantastic teacher of God's Word? Absolutely! Does that make all of his actions and habits honoring to God? No.

In stating that smoking is a sin, we are not stating that all smokers are unsaved. There are many true believers in Jesus Christ who smoke. Smoking does not prevent a person from being saved. Nor does it cause a person to lose salvation. Smoking is no less forgivable than any other sin, whether for a person becoming a Christian or a Christian confessing his/her sin to God (1 John 1:9). At the same time, we firmly believe that smoking is a sin that should be forsaken and, with God’s help, overcome.

I don't feel smoking is against God. But I don't feel that He likes it when we do, but I don't feel it's a sin. Only because he wants us to be healthy. And smoking can do a lot of damage to your body. He wants us to live long, healthy lives. And smoking can hinder that plan of His!

I like your post.
Amen.

The Bible never directly mentions smoking. There are principles, however, that definitely apply to smoking. First, the Bible commands us not to allow our bodies to become "mastered" by anything. "Everything is permissible for me—but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me—but I will not be mastered by anything" (1 Corinthians 6:12). Smoking is undeniably strongly addictive. Later in the same passage we are told, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Smoking is undoubtedly very bad for your health. Smoking has been proven to damage the lungs and the heart.

Can smoking be considered "beneficial" (1 Corinthians 6:12)? Can it be said that smoking is truly honoring God with your body (1 Corinthians 6:20)? Can a person honestly smoke "for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31)? We believe that the answer to these three questions is a resounding "no." As a result, we believe that smoking is a sin and therefore should not be practiced by followers of Jesus Christ.

Some argue against this view by pointing to the fact that many people eat unhealthy foods, which can be just as addicting and just as bad for the body. As an example, many people are so helplessly addicted to caffeine that they cannot function without their first cup of coffee in the morning. While this is true, how does that make smoking right? It is our contention that Christians should avoid gluttony and excessively unhealthy eating. Yes, Christians are often hypocritical by condemning one sin and condoning another, but, again, this does not make smoking honoring to God.

Another argument against this view of smoking is that many godly men have been smokers, such as the famous British preacher C.H. Spurgeon, who was known to smoke cigars. Again, we do not believe this argument holds any weight. We believe Spurgeon was wrong for smoking. Was he otherwise a godly man and fantastic teacher of God's Word? Absolutely! Does that make all of his actions and habits honoring to God? No.

In stating that smoking is a sin, we are not stating that all smokers are unsaved. There are many true believers in Jesus Christ who smoke. Smoking does not prevent a person from being saved. Nor does it cause a person to lose salvation. Smoking is no less forgivable than any other sin, whether for a person becoming a Christian or a Christian confessing his/her sin to God (1 John 1:9). At the same time, we firmly believe that smoking is a sin that should be forsaken and, with God’s help, overcome.

I quit 3 1/2 yrs ago. I tried many times but to only fail. i had to use "Chantix"
The only time I smoke now is when I eat Chili peppers!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Thank you God.

A must read: Romans 7:14-25

Paul explains what he learned in trying to deal with his old sinful desires.

1 Knowledge is not the answer, as some have stated smoking 40 years ago was widely accepted and incouraged. Now, no so much.
smoking then is the same as it is now, but thru knowledge we find it very unhealthly..sinful and frowned upon.
2 Self determination or relying on your own strength. Paul did things that he even hated.don't underestimate .
3 Becoming a Christian does not remove all sin and temptation from your life. No one in the world is innocent. You cannot
earn your way into Heaven. It comes from Christ,thru His death & resurrection. it is a gift, free for all of us.

This is one lesson God teaches us thru Pauls life about fighting sin. Romans 7:14-25 can seem a little confusing at first, but with
prayer and faith God will let you know what you need to know.....as always. You can be saved in a moment, but becoming a
Christian is a life long journey.

As for what I think about smoking , its just that...what I think.

If you smoke and want to quit, Pray

If you smoke and really don't want to quit, Pray

Peace of mind goes a long way.

That's my question exactly. I've struggled with something so much for my WHOLE life. I thought that I was over it for a month and was feeling good - but now I'm back doing it :( :( :( :(

I don't personally feel God refuses to help. I just don't understand why He's not helping out more :(
I need to get over this as soon as possible.

Paul never said he quit doing the things that he did not want to do,(though he tries) He found peace in dealing with his problems thru faith
in Jesus, that overshadows our sinful nature. Without the law there is no sin. Some say smoking is a sin, but it is not against the law.
adultry is a sin, but it is not against the law(in the U.S).I am having trouble puting into words what I am trying to convey here, sometimes
I think to fast and get confused and off track(1 of my many faults). God is in control of ALL things wheather we agree or not. You can not hinder His plan by your actions or choices. Everthing happens for a reason(Job), the fact that you are up and about is a sign of Gods work
in you, (a work in progress?).One thing I get from the Christ when he was teaching was that the religous leaders at the time(not much has changed) had so many rules and requirements that made it impossible to be "right", but Jesus in laymans terms here, "don't sweat the small stuff" keep your eyes on the big picture, please God ,not man.

offcourse yes, smoking is harmful to body, it is not fine to hurt the temple of god, we should give our body to jesus as living sacrifice.. we do not have right to hurt what belongs to him..

While addiction to anything is bad as Paul mentions. I think we need to look closer at the level of ''evil'' in addictions. I see three different kinds of addictions.

1) Addiction to a substance that causes bodily harm.
2) Addiction to something that has no appearance of evil, nor causes bodily harm.
3) Addiction to sin.

1) Smoking, drugs etc. God's primary concern here is for our health. There are so many laws given to the Jews for their health and well-being. God is only concerned with your health. No moral issues or extreme evil. This addiction may be defiance against God / the desire to rebel against Godliness, which would be very evil. We need to judge ourselves for this.

2) Video games, sport, collections etc. The only risk here is idolatry. Fasting from these once in a while helps God feel first. No major evil or sin present.

3) Stealing, lying, murdering, adultery, immoral thoughts, backbiting, swearing etc. These are the more serious addictions. As these are clear indicators of whether or not we are carrying our cross. I would say that Christians should have zero desire to steal, murder, commit adultery. These 'bigger' evils should fall away the moment we become Christian. But 'lesser' evils like an immoral though life and swearing are daily battles that we will be fighting until the rapture. The only important fact to remember is the need to 'keep fighting' and not give up.

The bottom line is that 'in Christ' we can and should be able to overcome any addiction. The answer though is not always torturing ourselves but rather growing closer to The Lord that we start to care more about what pleases and displeases Him. Consider a wife who loves her husband. She won't commit adultery because her love for her husband is strong. Adultery seems impossible and extremely foolish to her.

If smoking doesn't destroy your body, then just continue to smoke, but if you can'tdeny that it was destroying your and your body, then you are destroying God's temple.

Hey, if somebody deliberately destroys their body and wants to die a slow death of lung and throat cancer then go ahead smoke. Our bodies belong to God surely He expects us to look after them???

Jesus set an example for us even him who did not commit any sins sanctify himself,
And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. John 17:9
For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you John 13:5

Back