Is the age of the Earth connected to Jesus' second coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is that NO ONE knows and no one will ever know until the time is right. God is soverign, and He has a plan that has been in operation since the very beginning and He is not going to tell anyone.
That's correct. Not even Jesus knows when He will return. So there's absolutely no way anyone on earth could ever hope to figure it out.

That "Need" is rooted in pride and of all the sins that God hates, Pride is #1.

I'm afraid you are correct.

As you read the writings of the Apostles themselves, it appears they hoped the Lord would return sooner...even within their lifetimes. They didn't say He would, nor did they ever set a date or time. The statistics are also very consistent...those who have claimed some sort of special wisdom, insight, or vision as to the date of His return have been 100% wrong.
Also, I cannot but help to think that it is, in a way, disobedient. Jesus suggests that it's really none of our business.
In the gospel of John, Peter asks Jesus concerning John "But Lord, what about this man?" (In other words "What's going to happen to him?") Jesus' answer was "If I want Him to remain until I return, what is that to you? You follow Me." Now, Jesus didn't say John would live until He returned, He was simply stressing to Peter to do what he needs to do and what the Lord wants him (and us) to do....follow Him. The date of His return and will any of us be alive to see it....what is that to us? It is none of our business. Our business is to follow Him.

I'm afraid you are correct.

As you read the writings of the Apostles themselves, it appears they hoped the Lord would return sooner...even within their lifetimes. They didn't say He would, nor did they ever set a date or time. The statistics are also very consistent...those who have claimed some sort of special wisdom, insight, or vision as to the date of His return have been 100% wrong.
Also, I cannot but help to think that it is, in a way, disobedient. Jesus suggests that it's really none of our business.
In the gospel of John, Peter asks Jesus concerning John "But Lord, what about this man?" (In other words "What's going to happen to him?") Jesus' answer was "If I want Him to remain until I return, what is that to you? You follow Me." Now, Jesus didn't say John would live until He returned, He was simply stressing to Peter to do what he needs to do and what the Lord wants him (and us) to do....follow Him. The date of His return and will any of us be alive to see it....what is that to us? It is none of our business. Our business is to follow Him.

You are completely correct my friend. We are told over and over that date setting is not to take place but what do we see all the time........."Jesus is coming in 2017!!!!".

That's correct. Not even Jesus knows when He will return. So there's absolutely no way anyone on earth could ever hope to figure it out.

Hello my brother!!!

I have not heard anything from you in a very long time.

I hope that you are well?

I agree 100% with your comment. I am one who, when he hears someone say....."I know when Jesus is coming again", close that book or turns off the TV as that person has just lost any support from me. There is just nothing to discuss on the subject at all.........IMHO.

You know, if we can not get the real easy things right like not setting dates for the 2nd Coming, which we are specifically told not to do, how in the world can we get the harder theological problems like OSAS, grace and predestination right???

Hello my brother!!!

I have not heard anything from you in a very long time.

I hope that you are well?

I agree 100% with your comment. I am one who, when he hears someone say....."I know when Jesus is coming again", close that book or turns off the TV as that person has just lost any support from me. There is just nothing to discuss on the subject at all.........IMHO.

You know, if we can not get the real easy things right like not setting dates for the 2nd Coming, which we are specifically told not to do, how in the world can we get the harder theological problems like OSAS, grace and predestination right???

Greetings,
HisManySongs
I think brother Major is testing you here to see if you will comply with RULE #1
or engage in conversation of A Topic that is not to be discussed in the open forum

Blessings
FCJ
3ac34f1f6e38100f826d0e15b7354d40.jpg

I heard a pastor once say it like this.
At first your hold funeral services for "church members" that have passed.
Then, it's for friends that have passed.
Then, it's for people you love.

I would not be putting any stock into what anyone says about the timing of Jesus return other than those who say He is Coming Soon! Jesus said 'no man knows the hour nor the day'. The clues we do have is that he did create the Earth in 6 days which is not only in Genesis but also in Exodus and he said after all his creation 'and it was very good', so this cannot possibly suggest that death was already on the earth.
Some may disagree with the Dispensations that divide different periods in history but biblically its difficult to deny that with each dispensation things changed. We are in the last Dispensation, the Church Age and it has been a bit over 2000 years but it doesn't have to be a return any specific year after the 2000 years.

I would not be putting any stock into what anyone says about the timing of Jesus return other than those who say He is Coming Soon! Jesus said 'no man knows the hour nor the day'. The clues we do have is that he did create the Earth in 6 days which is not only in Genesis but also in Exodus and he said after all his creation 'and it was very good', so this cannot possibly suggest that death was already on the earth.
Some may disagree with the Dispensations that divide different periods in history but biblically its difficult to deny that with each dispensation things changed. We are in the last Dispensation, the Church Age and it has been a bit over 2000 years but it doesn't have to be a return any specific year after the 2000 years.

Again, we are in agreement. Those who do not accept Dispensationism simply do not understand what it is.

It is nothing more than "Time". Time separated by a beginning event and then and ending event. The ending event is then the starting point of the next era of time.

This thread will be closed for now since the O.P has not been here in weeks.
If the O.P returns and would like to respond then we may re-open the thread for his replies.
Blessings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back