Is The Holy Spirit Or The Church The Restrainer Of 2 Thess.?

I see that we are going to banter back and forth until the Rapture comes over this. It is clear that we are not going to agree but I enjoy communicating with my brothers over Biblical things such as this.

As to the decree of Artaxerxes being the one that Daniel spoke of, I have to say to you that this command recorded in Ezra 7:11-26 clearly had nothing to do with rebuilding the "city." Please, you read carefully and what you will see is that Ezra summarized the intent of the kings command when he stated in verse #7: "To beautify the house of the Lord which is in Jerusalem".

It seems then to me that the date of 445 B.C. is more in line with what actually took place. That is when the king gave permission to Nehemiah to go:......"Unto the city of my father's sepulchers, that I may build it" (Neh. 2:5).

The edict even mentions the materials he needed to gather to do the work in Neh. 2:8.... "For the wall of the city".

It was all about the rebuilding of the CITY.

Now as for the "Anointing" that you are fixed upon as the baptism of Jesus. Isn't that in reality trying to make an event fit where we want it to because we approach it with a pre-conceived notion? Just asking you to think about it my brother.

"To ANOINT the most High" has been understood over the years to be one of 3 things at various times, but never the baptism of Messiah.

1). Zerubbabel's Temple.
2). Christ Himself.
3). A Future temple when the Messiah's reign will be inaugurated with righteousness.

The most logical and natural IMO is #3. That is the description that Ezekiel gives us in his book in chapter 40-45, together with actual animal sacrifices which will commemorate Christ's death on the cross.

Even the phrase in Daniel 9:24 where we have......"And to ANOINT the most Holy". If you will look up the meaning of MOST HOLY I think you will see that it means literally........"HOLY OF HOLIES"

Any way........That is how I see it.
Cyrus' and Darius' decrees were limited to temple reconstruction, while Artaxerxes' decree comprehensively dealt with Jerusalem as a whole, so it is his 457 BC decree which Daniel's prophecy points to.

If we remember that Jesus was not only the Lamb of God, but also the High Priest of the Heavenly Sanctuary which the "Lord pitched and not man", then we should expect that Jesus would anoint the Most Holy in the same way that the earthly priests did so. The prophecy of Daniel 9 is all about Jesus Christ, not Antichrist.

Last edited:
I really do appreciate your detailed explanation. It is a lot to think about...

I guess from my perspective.... I would question:
The destruction of the Anti-christ would then usher in the 1,000 year reign of Christ....
The bloodiest century in recorded HISTORY recently ended.......
More Christians were killed during the 20th century than all other centuries combined... Many of them at the hands of Islam.... which I don't generally associate with the Reign of Christ....

So... I might lean towards that not being THE specific fulfillment....

BUT... I believe it is also VERY instructive...

Imagine if the Papacy had Google, the NSA, and the Internet to track down "Heretics", Jihadists to gun them down in the streets, and Atom bombs to make sure the job got done....
Thanks for being open to consideration of Historicism which is the point of this forum topic: to let Christians know that Futurism is a relatively NEW idea among Protestants. It is necessary to mention that the 20th century was not the deadliest for Christians at all, for conservative estimates show that SEVENTY FIVE MILLION (some estimate ONE HUNDRED FIFTY MILLION) Christians were slain at the hands of the Papacy for their faith - the most common offense being the refusal to acknowledge the Transubstantiation of the bread wafer into Divinity, held out to a kneeling Christian while drawn swords or the threat of hanging or burning loomed over them. They didn't have Google or the NSA, but they had the Jesuit Order which was instituted during the time of Martin Luther. The sole purpose of the formation of the Jesuits was to destroy Protestantism (see "Jesuit Oath") and Futurism and Preterism were ideas designed to undermine Protestant Historicism. The devious, sinister nature of the Jesuits was such that the Nazi SS was patterned after the Jesuit Order, according to Nazi Walter Shellhenger. To this day, Jesuit trained leaders occupy high levels of government, educational, and non-Catholic religious institutions under the guise of any number of deceptions, including Freemasonry which is how they infiltrated Protestantism. Westcott and Hort, the two "Protestant" men most notable for compiling a new Greek Text based on the discovery of the Codex Sinaiticus in Alexandria in 1844 - known as the "Critical Text" which gave opponents of the "Textus Receptus" (from which ALL non-Catholic Bibles including the 1611 KJV were translated until the 20th century) a basis for every new Bible version we have today, INCLUDING the New King James Version, though it is claimed that the NKJV is from the Textus Receptus, but deviates from it more times than the NIV, ASV, RSV, or any other newer translation - both claimed to be Protestants, but their sons published letters written to one another in which they themselves reveal their hatred for the "immoral" doctrine of the Substitutionary death of Jesus, their belief in evolution, their affinity for Catholicism, and association with secret societies. It is no wonder that so many Protestant Christians today are so unaware of their history due to the efforts of Jesuit infiltration into our ranks, which promote every stripe and type of false doctrine imaginable and is the source of so many "winds of doctrine".

Last edited:
As JohnC said.....that is a lot to think about. Actually to me it is a lot of Preterits error to consider.

Historicists such as yourself have usually believed the "1,260 days" spanned the
Middle Ages and concluded within the early modern or modern era. Although many dates have been proposed for the start and finish of the "1,260 days", certain time spans have proven to be more popular than others.. The majority of historicists throughout history have identified the "1,260 days" as being fulfilled by one or more of the following time spans:

• 312 AD to 1572
  • 606 AD to 1870
  • 538 AD to 1798
  • 756 AD to 2016
While I understand the need to believe in the Historical approach to prophecy I must say that the Futuristic approach to the End Times is the ONLY one of many approaches that harmonizes the Scriptures: , ; ; ; & 25; ; Here, 30:4-10; ; ; ; Jere. 23:5-8; into one unified eschatological program.

The Futuristic approach is the only one that accomplishes the purpose stated in .............
"To
show unto his servants things which must shortly come to past".

How can Futurism fulfill Revelation 1:1 when the antichrist of Futurism doesn't arrive on the scene until 2,000 years later? It is Historicism that fulfills Revelation 1:1 of events soon to come:
  • In 2 Thess. 2:5-7, Paul reminded the Thessalonians of what he had previously told them about the Restrainer: that is was the Roman Empire, according to the historically documented testimony of the ECF on page 1 of this forum topic, and soon after the fall of it would the Antichrist arise which would lead believers away into false doctrine.
  • Paul in Acts 20:29 said that "grievous wolves" would come in among them and lead them away into false doctrine soon after his death.
  • John's warning to "keep yourselves from idols" was given b/c he knew that the coming apostasy of the Papal power would soon drag idolatrous worship into the Church.
  • John also tells us in his 1st and 2nd epistles that the antichrist would soon arise from within the ranks of the church, not from without such as Futurism teaches, and the church would have to "overcome" antichrist, not sit on the sideline in some celestial box seat watching the rise of antichrist from afar after having been raptured away down toward the end of time.
  • Paul said in 2 Thess. 2 that the "Son of Perdition" would arise before the coming of our Lord and our gathering together with Him and sit in the temple of God showing himself that he is God, which Greek word for "temple" (Gr. "Naos") Paul had used repeatedly to refer to the church - not some future temple in Israel which Paul would never refer to as the "temple of God", seeing that the subsequent sacrificial system set up there would be an official Jewish middle finger in the face of God Who loved us so that He gave to us His only begotten Son, the one and only Lamb of God which taketh away the sins of the world.
  • "Son of Perdition" is used only one other time in the Bible when Jesus referred to apostate Judas as such, who arose from among the ranks of the church and yet betrayed Jesus, not with a sword in the back, but with a kiss to the face, the same manner in which the Papal power claims to love Jesus, but betrays Him with one false, blasphemous doctrine after another.

Last edited:
How can Futurism fulfill Revelation 1:1 when the antichrist of Futurism doesn't arrive on the scene until 2,000 years later? It is Historicism that fulfills Revelation 1:1 of events soon to come:
  • In 2 Thess. 2:5-7, Paul reminded the Thessalonians of what he had previously told them about the Restrainer: that is was the Roman Empire, according to the historically documented testimony of the ECF on page 1 of this forum topic, and soon after the fall of it would the Antichrist arise which would lead believers away into false doctrine.
  • Paul in Acts 20:29 said that "grievous wolves" would come in among them and lead them away into false doctrine soon after his death.
  • John's warning to "keep yourselves from idols" was given b/c he knew that the coming apostasy of the Papal power would soon drag idolatrous worship into the Church.
  • John also tells us in his 1st and 2nd epistles that the antichrist would soon arise from within the ranks of the church, not from without such as Futurism teaches, and the church would have to "overcome" antichrist, not sit on the sideline in some celestial box seat watching the rise of antichrist from afar after having been raptured away down toward the end of time.
  • Paul said in 2 Thess. 2 that the "Son of Perdition" would arise before the coming of our Lord and our gathering together with Him and sit in the temple of God showing himself that he is God, which Greek word for "temple" (Gr. "Naos") Paul had used repeatedly to refer to the church - not some future temple in Israel which Paul would never refer to as the "temple of God", seeing that the subsequent sacrificial system set up there would be an official Jewish middle finger in the face of God Who loved us so that He gave to us His only begotten Son, the one and only Lamb of God which taketh away the sins of the world.
  • "Son of Perdition" is used only one other time in the Bible when Jesus referred to apostate Judas as such, who arose from among the ranks of the church and yet betrayed Jesus, not with a sword in the back, but with a kiss to the face, the same manner in which the Papal power claims to love Jesus, but betrays Him with one false, blasphemous doctrine after another.
My dear brother Phoneman and I have talked to each other in long posts and this is another one. If anyone chooses not to read it, I certainly understand as I do not like long posts either.

"How can Futurism fulfill Revelation 1:1 when the antichrist of Futurism doesn't arrive on the scene until 2,000 years later? It is Historicism that fulfills Revelation 1:1 of events soon to come:"

As I have said before, the Historical/Preterits' view that you are espousing atempt to squeeze Jesus baptism (which is not mentioned in Daniel), His ministry and crucifixion all in the final week of Daniel. However, Daniel makes it clear that the Messiah is "cut off" (crucified) BEFORE the one week is confirmed.

When that event is misunderstood, everything else simply falls apart.

Other events that never occurred are as follows:

*Jesus never returned to the earth in VISIBLE fashion. Rev 1:7 ("every eye shall see him").

*Nobody was subjected to the mark of the beast, or the number of his name. Although the other views attempt to ascribe this to Nero, 2 Thess makes it clear that the antichrist is destroyed by the brightness of Jesus' coming, Nero committed suicide. Nero could only be considered a type of antichrist, but does not meet the requirements to be THE antichrist of Revelation 13, and Nero never had an image made that was to be worshipped and given life to (Rev 13:15). There is no historical evidence that anyone under Nero or Titus was prevented from buying or selling unless they had the mark of the beast or the number of his name, and there is no evidence that anyone was martyred because of rejecting such (Rev 15:1-3).

*The mount of olives did not split in two. Zechariah 14:4. Also, Revelation 6:14-15 states that every mountain and island were moved out of their places, and the heaven departed as a scroll.

*The Euphrates river was not dried up. Rev 9:14-15, Rev 16:12

*The number of the armies in Rev 9:16 (200 million) far exceeds any amount of any army in existence at the time of Nero. Even today, the only army that could possibly fit that number would be China which fits Daniel and Revelation's claim that this army comes from the East. This also brings up another fact that the armies gathered against Israel partly come from the East, Rome is WEST of Jerusalem. Therefore Titus and Nero could not possibly have fulfilled Daniel or Revelation.

*In AD 70, only ONE army attacked Jerusalem (Rome). Scripture indicates that God gathers ALL NATIONS against Jerusalem. Zech 12:3, 14:2.

*The amount of the world's population that is killed by the judgments never occurred in AD 70. Rev 6:8, Rev 8:11, Rev 9:15-20.

*The amount of physical destruction to the earth never occurred in AD 70. Rev 8:8-12.

Not only did these events not occur in AD 70, they have never occurred at any time since then. Historicists and some Covenanters attempt to explain they gradually occurred through out history, but that is not only a gross interpretation of Scripture, but it defies all of the timelines given in Revelation that make it clear all of these events occur within a 7 year period. Rev 8:1, 11:3, 12:6, 14; 13:5.

There are many more examples, but these should be enough to prove that the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation (among others) were not fulfilled in AD 70, nor at any other time in history to date.

Then comes the problem ....The Church Has Not Replaced Israel.

The claim that the church has inherited all of the promises of the covenants to Israel and thus has replaced Israel is probably the most popular of the Historical view. The Historical view denys that God will restore the literal nation of Israel in the end times. The historicists and preterists even go so far as to blame the dispensationalist view of those who believe in the literal restoration of Israel on a Jesuit priest named Ribera in the 1500s. That claim has been done right here. The claim is that the Catholic church (RCC) need a response to the claims that Revelation pointed to the RCC as the whore of Babylon, and thus Ribera created futurism which was then later passed on to John Darby, then to Scofield and Larkin.

Not only is that claim historically absurd due to the early church "fathers" that also held to a futuristic view, but Ribera's commentary was never translated from Latin and there is no evidence that Darby ever read his works and he never referenced them. Furthermore, Ribera's only similarity from what I have read is that there will be a future kingdom, there is nothing remotely similar about Ribera's writings and the pre-millenial views. Moreover, the RCC has never believed in pre-millenialism or a pre-tribulation rapture, and those who hold to those views still identify the RCC as the beast and the antichrist so whatever views are attributed to Ribera, do not look like the scheme worked even if it were true.

This subject has had entire volumes written about it so I won't do much justice to the subject here, but just a few short observations from Romans 9-11 which is a death blow to the Historical view regarding Israel:

*Paul argues that "hath God cast away his people that he foreknew?" Romans 11:1-2. So clearly, the contention is that someone had been cast away due to the dispensation of grace. If the church had replaced Israel, this question would not even be up for debate with Paul. If the church replaced Israel, why would the question be asked if God cast away His church which He foreknew? Who was Paul referring to that was cast away and that God foreknew? Surely Paul is talking about the literal Hebrews, and he answers the question with a resounding NO.

*Paul describes the nation of Israel as his brothers "according to the flesh". Rom 9:3. The church are not Paul's brothers according to the flesh, church members are made family by adoption through the Holy Spirit, not by promise of covenants with Israel. Rom 8:23. Thus Paul sets the entire tone of Romans chs 9-11 by identifying his discourse about Israel as being his physical lineage, not about promises given to the church by transference.

*The other view often cite Luke 13 where Jesus cursed the fig tree as evidence that Israel will never be restored. However, Rom 11:15 clearly shows that God will raise Israel as a nation "from the dead". Therefore Luke 13 can only be temporary as is confirmed by Paul in Romans 11:25.

*Paul repeatedly makes distinctions between the Jews and Greeks (gentiles) throughout Scripture (Rom 1:16, Acts 28:29 which you will only find in a KJV). In Rom 11:13, Paul confirms that he is the apostle to the Gentiles and makes the distinction between his office over the Gentiles, and those who are of his flesh (v 14).

*Revelation 7:4-8 clearly shows that during the tribulation, 144,000 Jews will be sealed. If those who profess that the church replaced Israel, then let me ask to which of the twelve tribes listed in Rev 7:5-8 do you belong to?

*It is obvious from Daniel 9:25-27, 2 Thess 2:1-12, and Rev 11:1-2 that there will be temple rites practiced again during the tribulation, such as would not be practiced by the church. Furthermore, saints saved during the tribulation are said to "sing the song of Moses and of the Lamb". The church would not be singing the song of Moses, that is a clear indication that there will be literal, physical blood-line Jews present during the tribulation that are saved in accordance to God's promises to them in the OT and Paul's statement in Romans 11:26.

I apologize for the length of this post but I do hope that those who read it will be informed and blessed and even confirm their notions on the subject we are talking about.

Cyrus' and Darius' decrees were limited to temple reconstruction, while Artaxerxes' decree comprehensively dealt with Jerusalem as a whole, so it is his 457 BC decree which Daniel's prophecy points to.

If we remember that Jesus was not only the Lamb of God, but also the High Priest of the Heavenly Sanctuary which the "Lord pitched and not man", then we should expect that Jesus would anoint the Most Holy in the same way that the earthly priests did so. The prophecy of Daniel 9 is all about Jesus Christ, not Antichrist.

I can not agree my brother. I will stick what I posted.

"Messiah the Prince" is not the same as "Messiah Cut Off". The confusion lies with those who wish to make the two one in the same. One follows AFTER the other. And since Jesus' baptism co-insides with the year that the 69 weeks concludes (27 AD), we can conjecture that "Messiah the Prince" refers to Jesus' ANNOINTING (Messiah) in the Jordon River. With the 69 weeks concluded with this, what week commenced immediately after? Yes, the 70th.

It is almost a blasphemous interpretation of Daniel 9:26-27 where the text is clear that the "prince to come" is referring to the antichrist, and not Jesus (Not only is this fact clear in the text of Daniel 9, but also in Daniel 11:16-32).

The view that attempts to squeeze Jesus baptism (which is not mentioned in Daniel), His ministry and crucifixion all in the final week of Daniel is just plain wrong! However, Daniel makes it clear that the Messiah is "cut off" (crucified) BEFORE the one week is confirmed.

It is almost a blasphemous interpretation of Daniel 9:26-27 where the text is clear that the "prince to come" is referring to the antichrist, and not Jesus (Not only is this fact clear in the text of Daniel 9, but also in Daniel 11:16-32).

The view that attempts to squeeze Jesus baptism (which is not mentioned in Daniel), His ministry and crucifixion all in the final week of Daniel is just plain wrong! However, Daniel makes it clear that the Messiah is "cut off" (crucified) BEFORE the one week is confirmed.
The way I read it, He's cut off AFTER the 69 weeks, which means DURING the 70th.

My dear brother Phoneman and I have talked to each other in long posts and this is another one. If anyone chooses not to read it, I certainly understand as I do not like long posts either.

"How can Futurism fulfill Revelation 1:1 when the antichrist of Futurism doesn't arrive on the scene until 2,000 years later? It is Historicism that fulfills Revelation 1:1 of events soon to come:"

As I have said before, the Historical/Preterits' view that you are espousing atempt to squeeze Jesus baptism (which is not mentioned in Daniel), His ministry and crucifixion all in the final week of Daniel. However, Daniel makes it clear that the Messiah is "cut off" (crucified) BEFORE the one week is confirmed.

*Jesus never returned to the earth in VISIBLE fashion. Rev 1:7 ("every eye shall see him").

*Nobody was subjected to the mark of the beast, or the number of his name. Although the other views attempt to ascribe this to Nero, 2 Thess makes it clear that the antichrist is destroyed by the brightness of Jesus' coming, Nero committed suicide. Nero could only be considered a type of antichrist, but does not meet the requirements to be THE antichrist of Revelation 13, and Nero never had an image made that was to be worshipped and given life to (Rev 13:15). There is no historical evidence that anyone under Nero or Titus was prevented from buying or selling unless they had the mark of the beast or the number of his name, and there is no evidence that anyone was martyred because of rejecting such (Rev 15:1-3).

*The mount of olives did not split in two. Zechariah 14:4. Also, Revelation 6:14-15 states that every mountain and island were moved out of their places, and the heaven departed as a scroll.

*The number of the armies in Rev 9:16 (200 million) far exceeds any amount of any army in existence at the time of Nero. Even today, the only army that could possibly fit that number would be China which fits Daniel and Revelation's claim that this army comes from the East. This also brings up another fact that the armies gathered against Israel partly come from the East, Rome is WEST of Jerusalem. Therefore Titus and Nero could not possibly have fulfilled Daniel or Revelation.

*In AD 70, only ONE army attacked Jerusalem (Rome). Scripture indicates that God gathers ALL NATIONS against Jerusalem. Zech 12:3, 14:2.

*The amount of the world's population that is killed by the judgments never occurred in AD 70. Rev 6:8, Rev 8:11, Rev 9:15-20.

*The amount of physical destruction to the earth never occurred in AD 70. Rev 8:8-12.

Not only did these events not occur in AD 70, they have never occurred at any time since then. Historicists and some Covenanters attempt to explain they gradually occurred through out history, but that is not only a gross interpretation of Scripture, but it defies all of the timelines given in Revelation that make it clear all of these events occur within a 7 year period. Rev 8:1, 11:3, 12:6, 14; 13:5.

There are many more examples, but these should be enough to prove that the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation (among others) were not fulfilled in AD 70, nor at any other time in history to date.

The claim that the church has inherited all of the promises of the covenants to Israel and thus has replaced Israel is probably the most popular of the Historical view. The Historical view denys that God will restore the literal nation of Israel in the end times. The historicists and preterists even go so far as to blame the dispensationalist view of those who believe in the literal restoration of Israel on a Jesuit priest named Ribera in the 1500s. That claim has been done right here. The claim is that the Catholic church (RCC) need a response to the claims that Revelation pointed to the RCC as the whore of Babylon, and thus Ribera created futurism which was then later passed on to John Darby, then to Scofield and Larkin.

Not only is that claim historically absurd due to the early church "fathers" that also held to a futuristic view, but Ribera's commentary was never translated from Latin and there is no evidence that Darby ever read his works and he never referenced them. Furthermore, Ribera's only similarity from what I have read is that there will be a future kingdom, there is nothing remotely similar about Ribera's writings and the pre-millenial views. Moreover, the RCC has never believed in pre-millenialism or a pre-tribulation rapture, and those who hold to those views still identify the RCC as the beast and the antichrist so whatever views are attributed to Ribera, do not look like the scheme worked even if it were true.

This subject has had entire volumes written about it so I won't do much justice to the subject here, but just a few short observations from Romans 9-11 which is a death blow to the Historical view regarding Israel:

*Paul argues that "hath God cast away his people that he foreknew?" Romans 11:1-2. So clearly, the contention is that someone had been cast away due to the dispensation of grace. If the church had replaced Israel, this question would not even be up for debate with Paul. If the church replaced Israel, why would the question be asked if God cast away His church which He foreknew? Who was Paul referring to that was cast away and that God foreknew? Surely Paul is talking about the literal Hebrews, and he answers the question with a resounding NO.

*Paul describes the nation of Israel as his brothers "according to the flesh". Rom 9:3. The church are not Paul's brothers according to the flesh, church members are made family by adoption through the Holy Spirit, not by promise of covenants with Israel. Rom 8:23. Thus Paul sets the entire tone of Romans chs 9-11 by identifying his discourse about Israel as being his physical lineage, not about promises given to the church by transference.

*The other view often cite Luke 13 where Jesus cursed the fig tree as evidence that Israel will never be restored. However, Rom 11:15 clearly shows that God will raise Israel as a nation "from the dead". Therefore Luke 13 can only be temporary as is confirmed by Paul in Romans 11:25.

*Paul repeatedly makes distinctions between the Jews and Greeks (gentiles) throughout Scripture (Rom 1:16, Acts 28:29 which you will only find in a KJV). In Rom 11:13, Paul confirms that he is the apostle to the Gentiles and makes the distinction between his office over the Gentiles, and those who are of his flesh (v 14).

*Revelation 7:4-8 clearly shows that during the tribulation, 144,000 Jews will be sealed. If those who profess that the church replaced Israel, then let me ask to which of the twelve tribes listed in Rev 7:5-8 do you belong to?

*It is obvious from Daniel 9:25-27, 2 Thess 2:1-12, and Rev 11:1-2 that there will be temple rites practiced again during the tribulation, such as would not be practiced by the church. Furthermore, saints saved during the tribulation are said to "sing the song of Moses and of the Lamb". The church would not be singing the song of Moses, that is a clear indication that there will be literal, physical blood-line Jews present during the tribulation that are saved in accordance to God's promises to them in the OT and Paul's statement in Romans 11:26.

I apologize for the length of this post but I do hope that those who read it will be informed and blessed and even confirm their notions on the subject we are talking about.
You continue to argue against the Preterist view when I agree with you on the illegitimacy of it. Of course Jesus didn't return yet, no Mark of the Beast yet, etc. Historicism claims that antichrist has come and that Jesus Christ will return and destroy it.

You continue to argue against the Preterist view when I agree with you on the illegitimacy of it. Of course Jesus didn't return yet, no Mark of the Beast yet, etc. Historicism claims that antichrist has come and that Jesus Christ will return and destroy it.

It is not so much that I agrue against it, it is that your comments tend to support it and I reject it. Preterism theology is rooted in the Historical view.

It is not so much that I agrue against it, it is that your comments tend to support it and I reject it. Preterism theology is rooted in the Historical view.

Bro, those who protested the false blasphemous doctrines of the Papacy saw from Scripture that it was the Antichrist, the idea known as Historicism. In response, the Papacy formed the Jesuits for the purpose of destroying Protestantism and two Jesuit priests produced Preterism and Futurism as reasons why Historicsim should be abandoned.

Therefore, neither Preterism nor Futurism are rooted in Historicism, they are the ENEMY of Historicism. It seems to me (I could be wrong) that for some reason, perhaps the fear of discovery, you are reluctant to fully acquaint yourself with Historicism, but choose to reject it on face value. I have found that most of the time this is due to Christians having become so thoroughly indoctrinated by church leaders and authors with Jesuit Futurism that the pain of letting go is too great. But, I have faith that the Holy Spirit will encourage and strengthen any sincere seeker of truth seeing that truth is so despised by our enemies both within and without the body of Christ.

BTW, the only comparison between Preterism and Histroricism that can be drawn is that both claim that the Antichrist arose at a point in time in history, but that is where the comparison ends. Preterism inerrantly claims that it arose in the first century while Historicism claims what Daniel and Revelation teach: that it arose after the fall of the fourth beast of Daniel, the Roman Empire, which Revelation depicts more precisely as the "woman (church) that sitteth on the seven hilled city", which is of course ROME, Italy.

Should we really expect that God would inspire Paul, when writing to the Thessalonians, to refer to a future rebuilt temple in Jerusalem as the "Temple of God" in which Jesus-hating Jews would as a nation RAISE A COLLECTIVE MIDDLE FINGER TO GOD in an official rejection of the precious sacrifice of Jesus by offering the blood of bulls and goats as a means of atonement for their sins? Seriously, the word Paul uses there is NAOS, the same word he uses over and over when he refers to the church, not some literal building.

Should we really expect that God would inspire Paul, when writing to the Thessalonians, to refer to a future rebuilt temple in Jerusalem as the "Temple of God" in which Jesus-hating Jews would as a nation RAISE A COLLECTIVE MIDDLE FINGER TO GOD in an official rejection of the precious sacrifice of Jesus by offering the blood of bulls and goats as a means of atonement for their sins? Seriously, the word Paul uses there is NAOS, the same word he uses over and over when he refers to the church, not some literal building.

I can not agree due to Biblical truth:

Daniel 9:27
27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate."

Matthew 24:15….
“Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ [Anti-Christ] spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place [Jewish Temple]…”

Bro, those who protested the false blasphemous doctrines of the Papacy saw from Scripture that it was the Antichrist, the idea known as Historicism. In response, the Papacy formed the Jesuits for the purpose of destroying Protestantism and two Jesuit priests produced Preterism and Futurism as reasons why Historicsim should be abandoned.

Therefore, neither Preterism nor Futurism are rooted in Historicism, they are the ENEMY of Historicism. It seems to me (I could be wrong) that for some reason, perhaps the fear of discovery, you are reluctant to fully acquaint yourself with Historicism, but choose to reject it on face value. I have found that most of the time this is due to Christians having become so thoroughly indoctrinated by church leaders and authors with Jesuit Futurism that the pain of letting go is too great. But, I have faith that the Holy Spirit will encourage and strengthen any sincere seeker of truth seeing that truth is so despised by our enemies both within and without the body of Christ.

Well my friend, In Great Prophecies of the Bible, pages 69-70, Ralph Woodrow teaches that the Great Tribulation began at the Roman invasion of Jerusalem in 70 AD. On page 172, he states that the 1,260 days of Great Tribulation really speak of 1,260 years of Great Tribulaiton--believing that each day represents a year. If this were true, the Great Tribulation should have been completed somewhere around 1330 AD. While that sounds romantic we must always ask our selves......."does this harmonize at all with what the Bible says about the Great Tribulation?"

Daniel 7:21-22 plainly teaches that the Antichrist will make war against the saints until the coming of Jesus Christ to establish His kingdom.
“I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them; Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom."

Matthew 24:29-31 affirms the exact same thing.
29 "Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."

Did you notice that this passage states that, immediately after the tribulation of those days, the coming of the Son of man will take place.
Is Jesus Christ ruling from Jerusalem today or in the past 2000 years???? Is there world wide peace and no wars???
Did the lion lay down with the lamb and our children learn war no more??
On every major point of prophetic understanding, the Historicist view inevitably ends up in conflict with scripture. As we have seen, the evidence is absolutely overwhelming that this view is simply not what the Bible teaches.

However, it should be noted that some prophetic fulfillment is now history. For example, the rebirth of the nation of Israel, prophesied in Ezekiel 37, came to pass in 1948. In the book, A Message for the President, it was taught from the prophecies of the Bible that the Berlin Wall would come down and the New World Order would result. These prophetic fulfillments are now history.

The reality of life and the situation we have discussed becomes clearer the farther we move into the endtime, the more of the prophecies will be fulfilled and become history rather than futuristic.

The Historicist vs. Futurist discussion is not a salvation issue and should not be allowed to become divisive in the church at a time when our attention should be focused on reaching the lost. However, proper understanding concerning prophetic fulfillment is vital if we are to accomplish God's will for these endtimes.

I can not agree due to Biblical truth:

27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate."

“Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ [Anti-Christ] spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place [Jewish Temple]…”

4448"]I can not agree due to Biblical truth:

[/QUOTE]
The Historicist interpretation of that verse is that Jesus brought an end to the sacrifice and oblation in the middle of the 70th week when He was crucified, which according to Daniel was to take place after the 69 weeks (which of course would be during the 70th).

Brother, you may be unaware that every time Paul refers to the church as a "temple", he uses the Greek "Naos". It's the same word he uses in 2 Thessalonians when he says that the Antichrist would "sit in the temple of God showing himself that he is God." This is yet another reason why the Protestants, when observing the arrogant audacity of the Popes with their claims to be God and sole dispensers of grace, that saw in the Papal See the identifying marks of Antichrist in Bible prophecy.

Well my friend, In Great Prophecies of the Bible, pages 69-70, Ralph Woodrow teaches that the Great Tribulation began at the Roman invasion of Jerusalem in 70 AD. On page 172, he states that the 1,260 days of Great Tribulation really speak of 1,260 years of Great Tribulaiton--believing that each day represents a year. If this were true, the Great Tribulation should have been completed somewhere around 1330 AD. While that sounds romantic we must always ask our selves......."does this harmonize at all with what the Bible says about the Great Tribulation?"

plainly teaches that the Antichrist will make war against the saints until the coming of Jesus Christ to establish His kingdom.
“I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them; Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom."

affirms the exact same thing.
29 "Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."

Did you notice that this passage states that, immediately after the tribulation of those days, the coming of the Son of man will take place.
Is Jesus Christ ruling from Jerusalem today or in the past 2000 years???? Is there world wide peace and no wars???
Did the lion lay down with the lamb and our children learn war no more??
On every major point of prophetic understanding, the Historicist view inevitably ends up in conflict with scripture. As we have seen, the evidence is absolutely overwhelming that this view is simply not what the Bible teaches.

However, it should be noted that some prophetic fulfillment is now history. For example, the rebirth of the nation of Israel, prophesied in ; came to pass in 1948. In the book, A Message for the President, it was taught from the prophecies of the Bible that the Berlin Wall would come down and the New World Order would result. These prophetic fulfillments are now history.

The reality of life and the situation we have discussed becomes clearer the farther we move into the endtime, the more of the prophecies will be fulfilled and become history rather than futuristic.

The Historicist vs. Futurist discussion is not a salvation issue and should not be allowed to become divisive in the church at a time when our attention should be focused on reaching the lost. However, proper understanding concerning prophetic fulfillment is vital if we are to accomplish God's will for these endtimes.

What is the ratio of time you've spent studying Futurism and Historicism?
  • Immediately after those days would begin to see the unfolding of the events, not the completion of them.
  • The Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755, the Dark Day and Blood Red Moon Night of 1780, the Great Meteor Shower of 1833 all heralded the end of the 1260 year Great Tribulation of the Papal Antichrist and the advent of the Great Religious Awakening where the book of Daniel was unsealed and people (at first only ONE church officially) began for the first time to preach that Jesus was coming soon and only after Billy Graham's popularizing of it, did the rest of the Christian world too begin to preach it.
If you are unaware of the above, then I'm sorry to say that you are ill-equipped to argue against Historicism. Remember, "despise not prophesyings, prove all things." Please take the time to fully understand why Historicism was believed by Protestants exclusively for over 300 years (while denouncing Jesuit Preterism and Jesuit Futurism) and then find out why the Protestant world chose to reject it and embrace Jesuit Futurism for the last several decades. :)

What is the ratio of time you've spent studying Futurism and Historicism?
  • Immediately after those days would begin to see the unfolding of the events, not the completion of them.
  • The Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755, the Dark Day and Blood Red Moon Night of 1780, the Great Meteor Shower of 1833 all heralded the end of the 1260 year Great Tribulation of the Papal Antichrist and the advent of the Great Religious Awakening where the book of Daniel was unsealed and people (at first only ONE church officially) began for the first time to preach that Jesus was coming soon and only after Billy Graham's popularizing of it, did the rest of the Christian world too begin to preach it.
If you are unaware of the above, then I'm sorry to say that you are ill-equipped to argue against Historicism. Remember, "despise not prophesyings, prove all things." Please take the time to fully understand why Historicism was believed by Protestants exclusively for over 300 years (while denouncing Jesuit Preterism and Jesuit Futurism) and then find out why the Protestant world chose to reject it and embrace Jesuit Futurism for the last several decades. :)

ooops. Did the truth get too close???? I did not mean to upset you.

ooops. Did the truth get too close???? I did not mean to upset you.

LOL, I'm not upset, my brother! I actually am glad for the opportunity to discuss this with you. I'm merely pointing out that your objections ignore the specific points I make in defense of Historicism while evasively presenting competing theories as evidence for why Historicism is wrong. For instance, according to what we read in Daniel:
  • We both agree the text says that the 69 weeks begins with Artaxerxes' decree and ends with "unto Messiah the Prince".
  • We also agree that the text says "AFTER (seven) threescore and two weeks that Messiah shall be cut off."
While it is obvious to anyone who has not been indoctrinated with Futurism that what Daniel is saying is that Jesus was cut off AFTER the 69 weeks which can only be DURING the 70th week, for some inexplicable reason you do the following:
  • object by boldly declaring that Jesus was cut off BEFORE the 70th week
  • present no evidence as to how "AFTER (seven) threescore and two weeks Messiah shall be cut off" should be understood to mean "DURING 69 weeks Messiah is cut off".
  • evasively shift the focus from this point to other tenants of Jesuit Futurism in an attempt to establish Jesuit Futurism as credible.
Now, I ask you before the entire CFS audience to explain once and for all how we should all understand "after (seven) threescore and two weeks Messiah shall be cut off" should be understood to mean "during (seven) threescore and two weeks Messiah shall be cut off".

Any thinking person armed with only a casual understanding of the English language knows that there is no explanation.

So, why do those who subscribe to Jesuit Futurism choose to be willfully ignorant of this, preferring to maintain that Jesus was not cut of AFTER the 69 weeks, though Daniel is absolutely clear that He was indeed cut off AFTER the 69 weeks, but was cut off DURING the 69 weeks?

It is so that the 70th week can be sliced off and sent down to the end of time as a "seven year period of tribulation."

Without this, Jesuit Futurism cannot stand - so logic and reason must be thrown aside, revolutionary new etymology must fall from the sky, and consensus theology is made to take the place of the plain words of Scripture. Historicism needs no such theological skulduggery to establish itself as truth, it simply relies on the Word of God for that. :)

Last edited:
LOL, I'm not upset, my brother! I actually am glad for the opportunity to discuss this with you. I'm merely pointing out that your objections ignore the specific points I make in defense of Historicism while evasively presenting competing theories as evidence for why Historicism is wrong. For instance, according to what we read in Daniel:
  • We both agree the text says that the 69 weeks begins with Artaxerxes' decree and ends with "unto Messiah the Prince".
  • We also agree that the text says "AFTER (seven) threescore and two weeks that Messiah shall be cut off."
While it is obvious to anyone who has not been indoctrinated with Futurism that what Daniel is saying is that Jesus was cut off AFTER the 69 weeks which can only be DURING the 70th week, for some inexplicable reason you do the following:
  • object by boldly declaring that Jesus was cut off BEFORE the 70th week
  • present no evidence as to how "AFTER (seven) threescore and two weeks Messiah shall be cut off" should be understood to mean "DURING 69 weeks Messiah is cut off".
  • evasively shift the focus from this point to other tenants of Jesuit Futurism in an attempt to establish Jesuit Futurism as credible.
Now, I ask you before the entire CFS audience to explain once and for all how we should all understand "after (seven) threescore and two weeks Messiah shall be cut off" should be understood to mean "during (seven) threescore and two weeks Messiah shall be cut off".

Any thinking person armed with only a casual understanding of the English language knows that there is no explanation.

So, why do those who subscribe to Jesuit Futurism choose to be willfully ignorant of this, preferring to maintain that Jesus was not cut of AFTER the 69 weeks, though Daniel is absolutely clear that He was indeed cut off AFTER the 69 weeks, but was cut off DURING the 69 weeks?

It is so that the 70th week can be sliced off and sent down to the end of time as a "seven year period of tribulation."

Without this, Jesuit Futurism cannot stand - so logic and reason must be thrown aside, revolutionary new etymology must fall from the sky, and consensus theology is made to take the place of the plain words of Scripture. Historicism needs no such theological skulduggery to establish itself as truth, it simply relies on the Word of God for that. :)

You mean you want me to explain it again???? I have already done this and you want to see it again???

We are not going to agree on this and you are not going to change my understanding and neither am I going to do that for you. I feel like I am doing a Bible study class all over again on this, but asked, actually it seems to me you are demanding it.

Dan.9:26 is a good starting place.
Certain important events were to happen after the 62 weeks (plus the 7 weeks, or a total of 69 weeks): the "cutting down" (destroying, killing, perish) of Messiah. The killing of the Messiah is the end of the 69th week point in time. Then the scripture says the prince "shall come" or "who is to come" and the destruction of Jerusalem will occur. The original words mean the destruction will be "subsequent" or "after". That means the destruction of Jerusalem does not have to be immediately after the "downing" of the Messiah.

So then in 70 A.D, Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans who are the people of the prince come. This destruction was done by Titus, the son of the emperor Vespasian. Therefore, there appears to be a gap between the "downing" of the Messiah and the destruction of the Temple. Because these events were to occur after the 69 weeks had run their course and before the 70th week began, there also must be a space of time between the conclusion of the 69th week and the beginning of the 70th.

The words "but not of himself" or "and have nothing" are understood by most scholars to mean not having any guilt or crime in Him. It also closely resembles “there was nothing to him;” that is, that he ceased to have authority and power, as in the "cutting off" of a prince or ruler whose power comes to an end. We know it did not stop His power. As a matter of fact, it has been growing since then. However, as far as the people of the time were concerned, before the resurrection, was that He was dead.

The words referring to a flood are probably descriptive words to mean the destruction of Jerusalem would be like the destruction a flood would bring. All who believe in the global flood of Noah know the terrible damage, destruction, reforming of the water and land masses, and other environmental changes that a serious flood can cause. The word used here means a “gushing, outpouring,” as of rain, Job 38:25; of a torrent, Prov. 27:4; an overflowing, flood, Ps. 32:6; Nahum 1:8. Therefore, it would appropriately denote the ravages of an army, sweeping everything away.

9:27

The 70th week is the subject of discussion here. It seems to me that it is the thing that has confused you. Daniel describes what happens after the 69th week and before the 70th week, implying a temporal gap between the 69th and 70th weeks. The last week has certain things occur that are related to the end times.

The "prince who is to come" is the beast from the sea (Dan 8:23-27), and the "little horn" (Dan7:8) is the antichrist. A covenant, a Peace Treaty for SEVEN years will be made with "many". There is nothing that clearly defines who "many" is. However, most scholars seem to think that the reference covenant could only reference covenant people. Therefore, most believe Israel is the "many". That makes sense because the destruction of the the Temple and Jerusalem would most affect them. This one week now becomes what has classically been called the Tribulation. It is to be seven years long. The antichrist, who makes the covenant with Israel, will break the covenant in the middle of the week (3-1/2 years into the seven years), cause sacrifice to cease, and destroy the city of Jerusalem and the Temple.

The Antichrist will break his covenant with Israel and desecrate the Temple and demand worship of him. The length of time between the time of the end of the 69th week and the start of the 70th week is not revealed to Daniel or to any other of the O.T. prophets. Even Jesus said He did not know; only the Father knew the exact time. This intervening time span incorporates the age of the church, in which we now live and work. The event is of 69 weeks, including the cutting off of Messiah, have passed. The events of the 70th week remain for the future. They will be realized during the age of the Tribulation with the major horrors occurring during the Great Tribulation (generally considered the last 3-1/2 years of the 7 year Tribulation. This is just prior to the bringing in of "everlasting righteousness".

I personally do not know any other way to explain this to you. You are committed to your philosophy and I do not see any way to change that. I will say however that I am so very glad that this is not a salvation issue for humanity! It is a non-essential topic but I also know that it can be frustrating when others will not come to another's point of view.

The Abomination of Desolation is used uniquely in Daniel. The word abomination means to stink or be detestable. The word desolation means to be ravaged, desolated, or appalled. Putting them together is a God hated ravaging or something that stinks and is detestable. Some of the things that Antiochus Epiphanes did and the Antichrist will do are desecration of th Temple by idols, killing of swine on the altars, spreading the blood over the Temple and insides, and stopping the sacrifices in the Temple by the Jews.

Many more details of this can be studied in Revelation which will make these verses more understood. That is why understanding prophecy must include tying together prophecies in several books rather than stand alone readings. The secret to understanding to whom and to what these prophecies refer for example: to Antiochus or to the Antichrist, is the context and understanding of the history before and after the prophecies. Of course, we have 20-20 hindsight.

The key to me is that we know what happened in history. The people of those days did not have the knowledge from the prophecy to today as we do. However, we still don't know about the future. That we take from faith and using our intellect to try to understand what God is trying to tell us.

I really do think that you and I have gone about as far we can go with this discussion. I can tell by your words that you are becoming frustrated that you can not sway me from my perspective of these events. This may be a god time to end this and move on to some other topic.

Back