Is this considered being "worldly"

So my friend messaged me today, he always messages me every few days and tells me whats been going on in his life. A little background he is 30 and I am 22, I met him at a club we both worked at so we worked together for a year. Hes a christian as well and is very knowledgeable to say the least.

He does however disregard the Lords commandments. He parties , does drugs, sleeps with multiple woman and cheats on his girlfriend, can be very violent...etc but I still talk to him and have proven to be his only friends thats there for him.

Today he messages me and tells me how excited he is to go do some illegal stuff and than sleep with this girl. And I pretty much told him what hes doing is wrong and im not judging him but im looking out for him like a brother. And he agreed hes wrong and told me im wordly because I just bought a brand new camaro 2015. Mind you I got a new job that pays more and im working a lot of overtime so im able to afford it. On top of the fact my car broke before I bought the camaro which is the reason I bought a new car. Only this time I didnt go to the car lot and pick out used junk because this time around I had money to get something brand new and reliable and something I actually like..

And I told him like that but he said im wordly even though I always help someone whenever they ask me, always give my parents money every month even though they dont ask but I know they need it...etc. He never replied to my message after that. Is having something nice/expensive really worldly? I really dont have nothing else ... my room is nearly empty just shoes clothes and a bible .No T.V no videos games no kind of entertainment.

So my friend messaged me today, he always messages me every few days and tells me whats been going on in his life. A little background he is 30 and I am 22, I met him at a club we both worked at so we worked together for a year. Hes a christian as well and is very knowledgeable to say the least.

He does however disregard the Lords commandments. He parties , does drugs, sleeps with multiple woman and cheats on his girlfriend, can be very violent...etc but I still talk to him and have proven to be his only friends thats there for him.

Today he messages me and tells me how excited he is to go do some illegal stuff and than sleep with this girl. And I pretty much told him what hes doing is wrong and im not judging him but im looking out for him like a brother. And he agreed hes wrong and told me im wordly because I just bought a brand new camaro 2015. Mind you I got a new job that pays more and im working a lot of overtime so im able to afford it. On top of the fact my car broke before I bought the camaro which is the reason I bought a new car. Only this time I didnt go to the car lot and pick out used junk because this time around I had money to get something brand new and reliable and something I actually like..

And I told him like that but he said im wordly even though I always help someone whenever they ask me, always give my parents money every month even though they dont ask but I know they need it...etc. He never replied to my message after that. Is having something nice/expensive really worldly? I really dont have nothing else ... my room is nearly empty just shoes clothes and a bible .No T.V no videos games no kind of entertainment.

In John 14:15, Jesus says very clearly and directly "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." Granted we all do slip from time to time, whether it be in our thoughts or words or actions, but our love for Christ also allows us to recognize that not only what we're doing is wrong, but we reject it and repent. Your friend, from what it sounds like, isn't doing that at all. He may believe in Christ's existence, he may even have a good sense of Christian theology, but so the the devils who fell from His grace.

Your friend knows what he's doing is wrong, but he's so in love with what the world can give him that he's not ready to give it up. He's caught in Satan's trap and he's OK with that. His pointing out to you that you are worldly because you have a Camaro is his way of saying "Either don't talk about my flaws or address that you are just as bad so that my faults aren't exposed."

Owning a Camaro in itself isn't being worldly. Granted, luxurious things can cloud one's virtue, but owning it and even having an appreciation for it isn't wrong so long as it doesn't turn into a vice. For some people, they refrain from owning things like Camaros because they know it would become that way for them.

Your friend is misunderstanding what being worldly really means. Unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like he thinks being worldly is owning material things. Materialism is worldliness, but merely owning something isn't. The point of worldliness is loving what the world offers over Christ. Or even going further, loving what the world offers even secondary to Christ when it contradicts what He has to offer us. Food is an example; I love to cook and try new foods, but this isn't in contradiction to God who gave us our talents and resources and especially to be used for Him. I always imagine when people invite people over for dinner and the hosts put so much work into the food. This isn't worldliness, this is an act of love for others. Worldliness would be loving the food over the people and God.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. He's angry that you pointed something out on him so now he's trying to turn it over on you. This is typical.

Looks like you're friend is living in constant rebellion against God. He must have experienced a false conversion, or is backsliding heavily. Hopefully he is just backsliding. But anyway, having a nice, expensive thing is not worldly at all. But loving them, loving them more than God, and putting them before God is not only worldly, it is idolatry. As the Bible says, "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows" (1 Timothy 6:10).

Buying a decent car with your own money, (if you can afford it) is no issue.
Your friend however, is a Christian in name only. He is bringing up the car to change the subject away from his own guilt and sin.
If he continues as he is, he is damned, no question there. Continued sin corrupts the soul and in time makes repentance impossible.

I doubt hes a christian...what makes you think he is?

Why are you friends with him? A true friend would not say that, or be jealous of things you bought with your own money you earned.

Nice things are not wrong as long as they don't become your idol. About your friend, I have to agree with the others: what makes you think he's a Christian? A "Christian" isn't someone who believes in Jesus, the devils believe in Jesus, James 2:19. A Christian believes Jesus, follows Jesus, turns away from sin, fellowships with God and changes from sinner to victor step by step. If he, or you, or anyone, remains in their sins, they are most likely NOT Christians. A Christian will always want to repent and seek an exit from sin. That's just the facts. Saying one thing and doing the opposite is living a lie.

@Alang Greetings,
The only way any car or truck or bus or boat or air plane or train or fly saucer could be worldly or a Problem is when it becomes what your life is about or your main focus.
It is the same with money - being rich is not a sin or a problem for any Christian BUT when it becomes your main goal - everything you do is about getting money - then it is a problem for you are serving money or mamon.

When a person places God and His ways first then he or she will not fall into this situatiuon for they are ready at all times to give - share or meet needs - when ever the Lord shows them. They do not store riches up for them selves but for edifying the kingdom and what ever God calls them to do. NOTICE......this does not say putting away some money to take care of your family is wrong - this is totally different.

Enjoy the Camoro - OBTW I had a candy apple red 67 ss with a built 73 - 350
God Bless
Jim

In John 14:15, Jesus says very clearly and directly "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." Granted we all do slip from time to time, whether it be in our thoughts or words or actions, but our love for Christ also allows us to recognize that not only what we're doing is wrong, but we reject it and repent. Your friend, from what it sounds like, isn't doing that at all. He may believe in Christ's existence, he may even have a good sense of Christian theology, but so the the devils who fell from His grace.

Your friend knows what he's doing is wrong, but he's so in love with what the world can give him that he's not ready to give it up. He's caught in Satan's trap and he's OK with that. His pointing out to you that you are worldly because you have a Camaro is his way of saying "Either don't talk about my flaws or address that you are just as bad so that my faults aren't exposed."

Owning a Camaro in itself isn't being worldly. Granted, luxurious things can cloud one's virtue, but owning it and even having an appreciation for it isn't wrong so long as it doesn't turn into a vice. For some people, they refrain from owning things like Camaros because they know it would become that way for them.

Your friend is misunderstanding what being worldly really means. Unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like he thinks being worldly is owning material things. Materialism is worldliness, but merely owning something isn't. The point of worldliness is loving what the world offers over Christ. Or even going further, loving what the world offers even secondary to Christ when it contradicts what He has to offer us. Food is an example; I love to cook and try new foods, but this isn't in contradiction to God who gave us our talents and resources and especially to be used for Him. I always imagine when people invite people over for dinner and the hosts put so much work into the food. This isn't worldliness, this is an act of love for others. Worldliness would be loving the food over the people and God.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. He's angry that you pointed something out on him so now he's trying to turn it over on you. This is typical.
Very well put I agree. I tried telling him that but he ignored me and hasn't messaged me back I think he thinks I'm trying to judge him so he's angry with me. When in reality I'm just trying to help him

Looks like you're friend is living in constant rebellion against God. He must have experienced a false conversion, or is backsliding heavily. Hopefully he is just backsliding. But anyway, having a nice, expensive thing is not worldly at all. But loving them, loving them more than God, and putting them before God is not only worldly, it is idolatry. As the Bible says, "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows" (1 Timothy 6:10).
Yeah I'm definitely not in love with it. Had the rush of excitement at first because I always have to buy used beat down cars from the auction but this time I got something I like. Its sad he's like this though most of my friends are like this unfortunately

Buying a decent car with your own money, (if you can afford it) is no issue.
Your friend however, is a Christian in name only. He is bringing up the car to change the subject away from his own guilt and sin.
If he continues as he is, he is damned, no question there. Continued sin corrupts the soul and in time makes repentance impossible.
its a scary thought when your best friends might not be in heaven. Once yo get sucked into that lifestyle though its very hard to quit it because their a so much pleasure I used to be like him so I keep trying to tell him to quit

I doubt hes a christian...what makes you think he is?

Why are you friends with him? A true friend would not say that, or be jealous of things you bought with your own money you earned.
Well he's a kind of supremacist white guy ... Shaved head and grew up in a southern family. So one day at work he asked me what part of mexico I'm from and I explained to him I'm Arabic and he immediately told me Islam is bs. Than when I told him I'm Christian he was happy to hear that and from than every time we worked he'd always talk with me a lot about the gospel...etc.

Hes read the bible I'm sure any story or verse I tell him he knows it and he always talks to e about the Bible which is weird how he does the exact opposite of what it says. I'm still his friend because he has a good heart he just hangs out with the wrong crowd. I'm his only good friend.

What is the fruit that makes you believe this about your friend?
He knows right from wrong and he's really nice if your nice to him . And we always have very good conversations about God but he always slips back into the devils hand. But what kind of Christian does that make me to nor talk to him anymore. Didn't God tell us to love all . if I don't talk to him anymore their won't be a single person who trys to tell him he's doing wrong

Reactions: Juk
Yeah I'm definitely not in love with it. Had the rush of excitement at first because I always have to buy used beat down cars from the auction but this time I got something I like. Its sad he's like this though most of my friends are like this unfortunately
Maybe you should pray for them.

I am no where near perfect myself . but I always repent and do my best to stay away from sin. For the most part I can avoid when girls invite me over or out with them. But I still sin in other ways like example getting angry with a family member. I think he repents too ... But he just can't stop all the partying. He does tell me he feel like Satan is around him because man he gets some really attractive girls throw themselves at him without even doing anything. I understand his struggle

@Alang Greetings,
The only way any car or truck or bus or boat or air plane or train or fly saucer could be worldly or a Problem is when it becomes what your life is about or your main focus.
It is the same with money - being rich is not a sin or a problem for any Christian BUT when it becomes your main goal - everything you do is about getting money - then it is a problem for you are serving money or mamon.

When a person places God and His ways first then he or she will not fall into this situatiuon for they are ready at all times to give - share or meet needs - when ever the Lord shows them. They do not store riches up for them selves but for edifying the kingdom and what ever God calls them to do. NOTICE......this does not say putting away some money to take care of your family is wrong - this is totally different.

Enjoy the Camoro - OBTW I had a candy apple red 67 ss with a built 73 - 350
God Bless
Jim
I dont strive to be rich I just want to lice average . I really liked the car though and it wasn't too costly compared to the others and it looked way nicer. Lol nice ss model is very nice I have an ls . The ss looks nicer no doubt!

Maybe you should pray for them.
I do everyday and I'm pretty sure I am a good example for them. I never go out party or drink or do anything I'm always at work or with my family and sometimes with friends. Anytime they ask me for help I help them too when others don't.

Reactions: Juk
He knows right from wrong and he's really nice if your nice to him . And we always have very good conversations about God but he always slips back into the devils hand. But what kind of Christian does that make me to nor talk to him anymore. Didn't God tell us to love all . if I don't talk to him anymore their won't be a single person who trys to tell him he's doing wrong

Listen to what God says:

1 Corinthians 5:10-11
But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.

Listen to what God says:

1 Corinthians 5:10-11
But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.
So what do I do stop talking to him?

So what do I do stop talking to him?

That is something you need to ask God about. Does your friend fit verse 10 or verse 11?

I think you must feel as I do that this person is still in need of a true revelation of Jesus Christ for salvation. Perhaps a heart-to-heart confrontation about that is in order so that you can obey the word concerning him.

Back