I've Never Felt God's Presence And I've Been Saved For 3 Yrs : / Is There Something Wrong?

Im sorry to keep going on..but others have awesome exp from God and I haven't had any, none that I can remeber : / and I was wondering if this is normal..seeing as Ive been saved for three yrs..and if not..what can I do abt it?????

No there is nothing wrong. We don't base our walk with God on feelings. I was born & raised in a Christian family that went to church regularly and had family prayers etc...Even after taking the next step - getting baptized and accepting Jesus again into my life I didn't feel anything for about 6-7 years. Believe me and sometimes I still don't.

Do not base your walk on feeling his presence, its all about faith, not by feelings and by sight although that too is possible. Continue to stick with God daily and he will reveal himself to you sooner than later. Keep with it!!!!

God Bless

Pancakes, I think the problem isn't that you haven't felt Gods presence, but that you are comparing your experience with others, which seem "remarkable" and almost "divine". I don't like the sound of your church. From the depths of my heart, I do not believe you are surrounded by good Christians. Either you are totally off, or someone else is, and by the sounds of it, it's your church. Keep seeking the Lord. I may feel a presence from Him but it might actually be something else. Who knows. Sometimes I question if I'm making this all up in my head because when I pray I can picture him listening to me. Sometimes I rush through prayer and I remind myself, "would I want to rush through time spent with someone I really fancy?" I can tell that's God is speaking to me, but do I have solid proof of it? Is it tangible? No and no. Unfortunately, you have to be discerning not only about worldly things, but also about Gods still small voice. Otherwise you might find yourself doing things because you thought it was Gods advice/opinion when it was really just Satan or yourself wanting what the heart wants. Does this make sense?

I have a few questions for you:

1) What does "feeling his presence" mean to you? How would you describe what you believe is to be "feeling His presence"?

2) Do you compare your relationship with God with others who have a relationship with him? Do you tend to do this with all of your relationships?

4) Do you generally feel that you "fall short" in life and in your relationships?

3) How often do you read the bible? Not just a scripture or two.

Tougher ones (answer honestly because God knows what's in your heart!):

5) Do you doubt more than you believe?

6) Do you believe God is a liar?

7) Do you believe God has plans for you?

8) Do you believe God loves you?

I have good feedback for these answers. Looking to hear from you, Pancakes.

Im sorry to keep going on..but others have awesome exp from God and I haven't had any, none that I can remeber : / and I was wondering if this is normal..seeing as Ive been saved for three yrs..and if not..what can I do abt it?????
What experiences exaclty have others had?

You know how to 'feel' God's presence? You must 'stir up the Holy Spirit'. When you help someone else in need and the 'joy' that comes from knowing you helped...that is stirring up the Spirit.

'Those who humble themselves and become the servant will be great in Heaven'

Matthew 20:25
But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. 26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; 27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: 28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Matthew 18:4
Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 23:12
And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Luke 14:11
For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Luke 18:14
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Serve others....

Pancakes, I think the problem isn't that you haven't felt Gods presence, but that you are comparing your experience with others, which seem "remarkable" and almost "divine". I don't like the sound of your church. From the depths of my heart, I do not believe you are surrounded by good Christians. Either you are totally off, or someone else is, and by the sounds of it, it's your church. Keep seeking the Lord. I may feel a presence from Him but it might actually be something else. Who knows. Sometimes I question if I'm making this all up in my head because when I pray I can picture him listening to me. Sometimes I rush through prayer and I remind myself, "would I want to rush through time spent with someone I really fancy?" I can tell that's God is speaking to me, but do I have solid proof of it? Is it tangible? No and no. Unfortunately, you have to be discerning not only about worldly things, but also about Gods still small voice. Otherwise you might find yourself doing things because you thought it was Gods advice/opinion when it was really just Satan or yourself wanting what the heart wants. Does this make sense?

I have a few questions for you:

1) What does "feeling his presence" mean to you? How would you describe what you believe is to be "feeling His presence"?

2) Do you compare your relationship with God with others who have a relationship with him? Do you tend to do this with all of your relationships?

4) Do you generally feel that you "fall short" in life and in your relationships?

I have good feedback for these answers. Looking to hear from you, Pancakes.

For the questions;

1) to feel his presence to me ..means to feel like a warm sensation, my brother felt a warm sensation when he was saved, I think my other brother felt a feeling of a weight lifted off his shoulders... and me and my older brother were saved at the same time and i felt nothing ..

2) yes, but not w/ all my other relationships, just w/ God.

3)fall short in life...uhmm I guess that'd be so-so

4) I read it daily, well I have been..idk recently its been hard for me b/c to put it bluntly ..its a bit boring but what gets me is that..its been easier in the past to read,even if I had to force my self..

5) yup.

6)no

7)yes

8) somewhat..on a scale of 1-10 it'd be a 5.

** Also I have another problem... well last night , I had a second rapture dream and feel as if I did not make it... Im not making this up, I didn't go to bed thinking abt the rapture, I don't think it was on my mind that day., so Im not bringing them on myself..... idk I just have no idea what to do. I asked my brother soo many times how to be confident and he tells me the same thing,but I don't quite get it..and my pastor says I have doublemindeness which I agree w/ b/c I belive in God, and I belive in his promises ,its just when it takes too long and i see nothing happening, my faith waivers completely. I really don't know what to do about that.

For the questions;

1) to feel his presence to me ..means to feel like a warm sensation, my brother felt a warm sensation when he was saved, I think my other brother felt a feeling of a weight lifted off his shoulders... and me and my older brother were saved at the same time and i felt nothing ..

I felt nothing when I was first saved either. I only began feeling his presence when I was deep in prayer, at my lowest points, truly glorifying him and His holiness. The weight lifted off your shoulders comes from completely and utterly trusting in Him. It will eliminate a ton of your anxiety.

2) yes, but not w/ all my other relationships, just w/ God.
You shouldn't compare your relationship with God to others relationship with God because we are all made unique and therefore our relationship with Him is such.

3)fall short in life...uhmm I guess that'd be so-so
This may explain why you feel the way you do with God. You might be projecting. Are you familiar with that term?

4) I read it daily, well I have been..idk recently its been hard for me b/c to put it bluntly ..its a bit boring but what gets me is that..its been easier in the past to read,even if I had to force my self..
You're right, it's not easy but imperative if you want to grow closer to Him. He rewards those who seek Him. I am at fault for not reading daily sometimes, but I know He does not condemn me. He allows me to go on my own. I end up getting hurt and always come back to Him. He loves me and knows what's best, but doesn't force me either way.

This is probably the main problem you're having. If you doubt, it's very difficult to believe you received salvation, because you're essentially doubting what God tells you, which leads me to number 6...

God is love. It's expressed all throughout the bible. If we believe God is constantly condemning us and taking us to Hell for the slightest mistakes, we are essentially calling Him a liar, correct?

If God wants or is going to send you to hell, as you fear, then what plans would he have for you? Clearly there is something in your heart that is telling you otherwise..

8) somewhat..on a scale of 1-10 it'd be a 5.
Again, look at numbers 5 and 6. Hopefully some of this makes sense now. :)
** Also I have another problem... well last night , I had a second rapture dream and feel as if I did not make it... Im not making this up, I didn't go to bed thinking abt the rapture, I don't think it was on my mind that day., so Im not bringing them on myself..... idk I just have no idea what to do. I asked my brother soo many times how to be confident and he tells me the same thing,but I don't quite get it..and my pastor says I have doublemindeness which I agree w/ b/c I belive in God, and I belive in his promises ,its just when it takes too long and i see nothing happening, my faith waivers completely. I really don't know what to do about that.
I believe this is Satan trying to pull you away. I used to get nightmares all the time and since I've built a closer relationship with God, they have virtually disappeared. On the flip side, it might be a wake up call from God telling you to move away from some worldly things or even the wrong friends, church, etc.

You may want to ask someone more experienced in this area of dreams, however.

We are not saved by emotions my dear!

We are saved by "KNOWING".

We know we are sinners. We know that the payment dor sin is death. We know that the gift of God is salvation.
We know that Jesus is the source of God's forgiviness.

Do you KNOW those things?
If so you are born again and the blood of Christ cleanseth us from all sin when we place our faith in Him and only Him!

I almost think that the closer you get to God and the more you learn about His grace, the more you realize how much of a sinner you are and how much you don't even desrve His grace, but guess what? He gives it freely and it is oh so beautiful. It is the ultimate display of love.

Hi pancakes,
Looks like you have received some sound advice, especially don't expect Father to relate to you or work in you life like He does in someones else's walk with Him.

Personally when the Holy Spirit convicted me of my need of salvation I was bent over in a chair with the weight of all my sins on my shoulders, it was during a Wednesday night bible study, now, I was active in the church, I taught adult Bible study, was in charge of the youth, helped out in Sunday school and played in the worship band, all before I was born again, it was like the Lord was saying to me, "All right, you think you can earn your salvation (that is what that church taught) what are you going to do with this?"

So you see He knew what I needed to bring me to accept and receive His gracious salvation, it's usually different with everyone because He created us individuals.

Now may I add, you being a woman are more sensitive to God than a man, that is where satan tripped up Eve, she thought she would be closer to God, so you desiring the "presence" of God in your life is a point you need to be very careful with. Jesus promised us He would never leave us of forsake us, that is a promise to us that we must verbalize with our mouth, say it out loud, claim it in faith as a promise not doubting (this is not name it and claim it game), double mindedness is basically having faith in my/our faith rather than having faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has said, we were saved by grace through faith and that faith was given to us by God, at first it's as small as a mustard seed and look what Jesus said we could do if we just believed and used it, so use that faith that God gave to you to believe in His Son to claim His promises, ....the just live by faith

Another thing is part of the New Covenant is the Holy Spirit writing His laws on our hearts and His words in our minds, do you like to sin, is there a conviction in your heart not to do it, well, that is the presence of the Holy Spirit in you guiding and direction your life, the very presence you are looking for is "in your midst," like Jesus said.

Also read John 3:16, do you see it, do you understand it, if so then again it's the Holy Spirit illuminating you (before we were born again we were in darkness), again another example of the "presence" of God in your life.

I think if you will stop and examine your walk with the Lord you will see many more examples, probably more than you can count, ......be blessed.

I hope this helps you, sorry it's so long.

Gene

It's not wrong at all. I think what Jake and Lifeasweknowit has hit it on the nail.

And one more thing, sometimes we have to "wait." And what do you do while in the waiting process? You keep seeking Him. You keep talking with Him. You keep worshipping Him. You keep reading the Word. And if you don't "feel" anything even though you're pursuing Him whole heartedly (which WILL happen), you keep pursuing Him until something happens.

PUSH through, PERSEVERE.

There was a time where God kept saying to me, "Your relationship with Me is not based off of emotions, but faith" and He kept encouraging me and telling me all these things. And I didn't know at the time, but He was preparing me for a dry season, which I went into a dry season soon after He said all these things. I am still in it have been in for the past two years. My relationship with Him is not the same right now. However, I keep pushing through even though I don't feel as many things as I once did. And yes, it's hard. It's very hard. But, my God is the same God. He's the same One who spoke to me back then. Yes, He still speaks to me. But...in a different way. There are times where I don't even hear His voice as much as I used to, and there are times when I don't feel near Him. And it gets very discouraging. BUT, God is the same as the One who spoke to me two years ago. He STILL is there. SOmeone gave me an encouraging word during this time and I thought I'd share.....A youth pastor at my old church told me a story. "My wife and I will be in the car and it'd be a two hour car ride. And we don't say anything to each other. Yes, we may share a few words, but the majority of the car ride, we don't talk as much. But, I still know my wife loves me. I still know she's there. Just because there's silence doesn't mean that she went away. And that's the same thing with you and God."

Pancakes, keep pushing, keep persevering. Don't base your relationship with Christ off of emotions, because you WILL be let down. Our emotions come and go and if we based ANYTHING on those emotions, we would be a huuuuuge mess! Still know that God loves you. Still know that you are His child!

Katie, I read what you wrote.. I agree wih it whole heartedly... Ive been waiting on feelings when I should have ebeen pushing through.

Katie, I read what you wrote.. I agree wih it whole heartedly... Ive been waiting on feelings when I should have ebeen pushing through.
It's so easy to do, huh? That's when faith comes in! You can ask for faith, but....faith truly comes by building it up. And in order to build your faith up, you have to be tested! :) For example, you don't get muscles just be sitting down watching TV with a bag of chips on your lap, but you get muscles by building up your muscles by exercising. Same thing with faith! You build up your faith by exercising your faith. Sooooo, what does that look like? Exercising your faith? Speak LIFE. When something seems impossible, speak life and say, "This WILL pass because ALL things are possible with Christ!" Or something among those lines :)

I hope its OK for me to have a go at this as I'm having a really bad time.

I think I felt it once. I could of course be wrong but once when a priest said a prayer for me something really wierd happened. Iit felt like an awesome hug from a phenomenal but gentle (I felt safe) power. I just burst into tears - I could not handle the feeling I had. It's only happened once in my 50 odd years.

Yes with God. Everyone else seems to go to church and be happy. I just struggle with existence. Probably not with others I like
meeting other people, have had at least one relationship (however short lived and in hindsight wrong) but I do have a sort of
"loner" streak in me and am sort of used/can prefer being on my own.

The loner bit would apply to part of this question but otherwise, Yes. I can do, eg. the orginal of this
http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php was my own work, I recently released this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qb25iYW5qby5jdXBzcHJpbnQiXQ..

But these sort of "achievements" are within a life plagued with (not as bad over the last 2 years but) with
alcoholism and fears.

Pretty near given up. Always seems to me that if something is to be revealed to me, it will be
but I'm not really going to understand otherwise.

Yes

I don't know. There is so much about Christ that does make me think "if only we could live like him" but practice and daily living
seems different. Don't get me wrong though, there have been times within my woes where I know I've not made things easy for Him. I can not claim "Sainthood".

Twenty odd years on now and the only plan I see is gradual but consistent self destruction...

See 7 and please convince me.

One thought on my "can do's btw.I (as probably most people who attend Irish sessions have) have been
fortunate enough to have played in the company of "All Ireland Champions". All this self gratifcation seems so
meaningless though. There's another world there somewhere where everything is right -at least I believe so - but
I can't find it,

I hope its OK for me to have a go at this as I'm having a really bad time.

I think I felt it once. I could of course be wrong but once when a priest said a prayer for me something really wierd happened. Iit felt like an awesome hug from a phenomenal but gentle (I felt safe) power. I just burst into tears - I could not handle the feeling I had. It's only happened once in my 50 odd years.

Yes with God. Everyone else seems to go to church and be happy. I just struggle with existence. Probably not with others I like
meeting other people, have had at least one relationship (however short lived and in hindsight wrong) but I do have a sort of
"loner" streak in me and am sort of used/can prefer being on my own.

The loner bit would apply to part of this question but otherwise, Yes. I can do, eg. the orginal of this
http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php was my own work, I recently released this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qb25iYW5qby5jdXBzcHJpbnQiXQ..

But these sort of "achievements" are within a life plagued with (not as bad over the last 2 years but) with
alcoholism and fears.

Pretty near given up. Always seems to me that if something is to be revealed to me, it will be
but I'm not really going to understand otherwise.

Yes

I don't know. There is so much about Christ that does make me think "if only we could live like him" but practice and daily living
seems different. Don't get me wrong though, there have been times within my woes where I know I've not made things easy for Him. I can not claim "Sainthood".

Twenty odd years on now and the only plan I see is gradual but consistent self destruction...

See 7 and please convince me.
Dear jonbanjo,

I have read your comment and was wondering, whether I may answer you.
I can just refer to my own experiences, and I am in no way worthy to give any advice. But your words seem to mirror your sorrow and I can feel your pain, and I wished I could help.

You wrote that you feel lonely, that you have fears and tried to get rid of them with alcohol.
Also you say that your future will only be destruction, and that you doubt whether God really loves you. - You know, dear jonbanjo, when I am feeling lonely I think of Jesus when He was tortured for us.
I try to understand how much pain this gentle and pure Son of God endured for us in order that we can be reconciled with His Father. Jesus was whipped and beaten. The soldiers pressed a crown of thorns onto His head. Can you imagine that pain? Then they took a reed and "began to beat Him on the head." (Mat. 27:26-30)
Jesus endured all this willingly, because He loves you and me. He did not try to escape that torture. He carried His cross and trusted His Father in heaven to be in control.

If we try to escape our life, perhaps by alcohol or selfdestruction, then we are about to reject Jesus' sacrifice and His love for us. We would show Him that we don't love Him, because we are not willing to carry our cross.

Dear jonbanjo, I am sure that you will receive much more encouraging comments than mine. If I made you feel even more sad, please ignore my words. I simply wanted to tell you that God loves you. What other friend in life do you know who would be willing to be tortured and murdered for you? And not just saying so, but enduring it!

I myself don't talk to people anymore, because I fear them. As a flight attendant I have learned how to appear friendly and caring. But whenever possible I am on my own, alone with Jesus.
I am walking a lot in our park or at a beach and try to praise our Creator for everything beautiful that He has made. - You can do the same! Look at the pretty flowers in this springtime, try to listen to the songs of the birds. Smell the blossoms of the trees or look if you find some nice stones on the ground.
A few days ago, I prayed to Jesus that He would please show me a sign that He still loves me in spite of my overwhelming sins. And He did! In no time I found beautiful, heart shaped stones. I collected them all and hold them in my hands when I feel lonely. Please ask Jesus to do the same for you!

Jesus is so loving, and He knows your despair. No other person, no friend or family member could ever understand what you are going through like Jesus does! Because He went through it Himself, just in order to show you that He loves you.

I will pray for you. Don't give up. Jesus wants to hold you in His arms.
Love, little flower

That was awesome sis, jonbanjo I hope you take to heart what flower has said, Jesus loves you, always has, always will and His love isn't conditional, we don't have to do anything to receive it except just receive it in faith as a free gift.

Gene

There are days in Church when it seems void; the Holy Spirit seems to be absent. And then there are days when the whole fellowship seems to be surrounded by a sweet spirit.

And the moment someone comes forward to accept Christ....WOW! What an amazing experience (every time).....We know when the Holy Spirit is stirred up in our Church. Praise the Lord!

Maybe a couple of things eg. I think I cope OK with being a bit of a loner I'd disagree with but thanks. Little Flower. I am feeling a little bit better today.

Not a hymn and I may have given in the past here but if you can, join me with this

Back