Jehovah's Witnesses

MMurphy

Inactive
I saw a post from a while back about Mormonism, and I thought it would be interesting to bring up JW's also. If there are any Jehovah's Witnesses here please let everyone know so we can be cordial in the discussion. I don't want this thread to devolve into insults to their faith, but I think it would be good to discuss some of the ways we can address their theological beliefs (or disbeliefs) in a respectful manner.

Thing is I think the JW beliefs are so off that it would not be difficult to put them on the right track, but they are really good at rebutting.

Also, anyone, call JW non-Christian, I don't even think they would disagree with that, but avoid using the term cult. Whether it is denotatively accurate isn't important, but it carries negative connotations and I don't think its a necessary term.

Any focus on any denomination invites man's glory, stick to the word of God...and God's glory!

1 Peter 4:11 (KJV)
If any man speak, [let him speak] as the oracles of God; if any man minister, [let him do it] as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

I had some in the driveway the other day, before I could say "Now you believe that the devil and Jesus are brothers and that Jesus is actually Michael?" they were back in their car and gone.

In Finland, they just give everybody outside papers about the end of the world and then sometimes they have some microphones or speakerphones and they tell everybody that the end of the world is coming soon, and then they also have done false prophecies about the end of the world coming in 2012 for example.

And they also believe in some kind of watchtower thing, and the watchtower thing sounds like the Illuminati thing...

I believe its the Mormons that think Jesus and Satan are brothers.

And the watchtower is the JW central authority. The Illuminati are a pop culture myth. JW was started in anticipation of the Apocalypse which was unfortunately "miscalculated" by it founder.

I believe its the Mormons that think Jesus and Satan are brothers.

And the watchtower is the JW central authority. The Illuminati are a pop culture myth. JW was started in anticipation of the Apocalypse which was unfortunately "miscalculated" by it founder.
Illuminati a myth, really? So politicians, singers, actors/actresses, bands, brands, etc. are not involved with a secret Satanic organization that promotes the 666, all-seeing eye, pyramids, etc?

Illuminati a myth, really? So politicians, singers, actors/actresses, bands, brands, etc. are not involved with a secret Satanic organization that promotes the 666, all-seeing eye, pyramids, etc?
Um... No? Its a fabrication probably promoted by Dan Brown.

In any case the watchtower is not illuminati.

Some of JW’s basic doctrines

• Christ is not equal to God because He is a creature.
  • Christ was first of God's creations
  • Christ died on a stake, not a cross
  • Christ was raised from the dead as an immortal spirit person
  • Christ's presence is in spirit
  • Kingdom under Christ will rule earth in righteousness and peace
  • Kingdom brings ideal living conditions to earth
  • Earth will never be destroyed or depopulated
  • God will destroy present system of things in the battle at Har-Magedon
  • Wicked will be eternally destroyed
  • The human soul ceases to exist at death
  • Hell is mankind's common grave
  • Only a little flock of 144,000 go to heaven and rule with Christ
  • The 144,000 are born again as spiritual sons of God
We could start here but there are more...like the Watchtower Society IS God's prophet on earth today, the Holy Spirit is not a person but an impersonal force, and more...

Brother Paul

We could start here but there are more...like the Watchtower Society IS God's prophet on earth today, the Holy Spirit is not a person but an impersonal force, and more...

Brother Paul
Do they also believe that aliens are demons and that the UFOs use diamonds as fuel and that we cannot go into an UFO to get healed by demons and that dinosaurs live under our level and they will rise from sinkholes and lakes and it's a BIG sin to kill a bird?

I don't know if there are Jehovah's Witnesses in this discussion, and if so, what I'm going to say is personal opinion and I mean it respectfully.

There are three main problems/issues I have with the JW faith.

First one is this, and I know about it firsthand: They will allow family members to die rather than give them blood transfusions which would otherwise save their lives. They do this because of the texts in Genesis 9:4, Leviticus 17:10, Deuteronomy 12:23, and Acts 15:28-29, but since those texts refer to EATING blood I'm not quite sure why they see it as the same thing as USING blood for medical purposes.

They also do not celebrate any birthdays, including Christmas, again for scriptural reasons - apparently two bad things happen in the Bible during birthday celebrations. One is Salome asking for the head of John the Baptist, and I forget the other. But in each case it's simply a matter of things coincidentally having bad outcomes, which didn't occur BECAUSE of the birthday. They don't see it that way, and take it as an "obvious" message that we are not to celebrate them. I've also been told that it puts self-glorification above God, although why a simple celebration of another year of life on this earth would mean you're putting yourself above God, again, you're on your own...I have no idea why they think that.

Finally, the church practices shunning and disfellowshipping, which they see as LOVING acts. I've seen whole documentaries on this subject. There is NOTHING loving about these practices, they tear the entire fabric of families apart by the roots. They do this to members whom they say have strayed - someone passes judgment and bang, they are out. No further contact from family members is permitted.

Brother Paul

You forgot even the most bizarre doctrine, that Jesus was the Michael the Archangel. They get this from Revelation saying that Christ will speak with the "voice of an archangel" and then some passage about Michael being at the right hand of God or something like that.

They are also quick to attack the Trinity. And I don't think even many Christians understand it. One of the big problems is that I think there is a common misconception that Jesus was God the Father incarnate, when He was actually God the Son incarnate.

Let's start with some more intuitive explanations of the Trinity. They always say, "Well then who was watching over the Universe after Jesus died."

Do they also believe that aliens are demons and that the UFOs use diamonds as fuel and that we cannot go into an UFO to get healed by demons and that dinosaurs live under our level and they will rise from sinkholes and lakes and it's a BIG sin to kill a bird?

That sounds like Catholicism...

JK :X3:

I'm pretty sure that's Scientology.

Jehovahs witnesses do not believe in the trinity. Read the new world translations chapter one of john. In my bible it says in the beggining was the Word and the Word was with God and The Word WAS God. The jw's bible says The Word was A God.
The jw's are just misguided. I have prayed with some of them and I felt The Holy Ghost as they prayed. There probably are some that are not saved, but thats in any church.

Jehovahs witnesses do not believe in the trinity. Read the new world translations chapter one of john. In my bible it says in the beggining was the Word and the Word was with God and The Word WAS God. The jw's bible says The Word was A God.
The jw's are just misguided. I have prayed with some of them and I felt The Holy Ghost as they prayed. There probably are some that are not saved, but thats in any church.
How would you describe the Trinity to them?

Father, The Word, and The Holy Ghost. And these three are one. Just as the bible says we are made in His image and we are 3 in one we have a body, spirit, and a soul. And yet we are one.

Father, The Word, and The Holy Ghost. And these three are one. Just as the bible says we are made in His image and we are 3 in one we have a body, spirit, and a soul. And yet we are one.
If you say that to them, they'll just respond by saying, "that's three gods."

Back