Just one word makes a difference

Sometimes it can be puzzling to compare various translations of the New Testament, and I wonder just how some of the examples come to be so different. Today I find the use of just one word in one edition puts new thoughts into my mind.

From Colossians 2 I find :
English Standard Version (ESV)
15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.

King James Version (KJV)
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

New King James Version (NKJV)
15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

New Living Translation (NLT)
15 In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross.

The Message (MSG)
He stripped all the spiritual tyrants in the universe of their sham authority at the Cross and marched them naked through the streets.

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.

New International Version
15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

There are some differences in each of the above, but none use the word "himself" as is found in the
Good News Translation
15 And on that cross Christ freed himself from the power of the spiritual rulers and authorities; he made a public spectacle of them by leading them as captives in his victory procession.

If that is accurate we might interpret it to say it is only in respect of himself that Jesus freed himself from the spiritual rulers, thus leaving them for we others to contend with. The other quotations could infer that the spiritual baddies were disarmed for all and we need not be fearful of them.
How does that word "himself" come in from earlier translations?

If that is accurate we might interpret it to say it is only in respect of himself that Jesus freed himself from the spiritual rulers, thus leaving them for we others to contend with. The other quotations could infer that the spiritual baddies were disarmed for all and we need not be fearful of them.
How does that word "himself" come in from earlier translations?

From All that I have read, and heard from my pastors... Christ didn't free himself from the grips of the enemy... the Father freed Him. For Jesus had no power of His own while here on the earth... Philippians 2:7

For that version To imply that Jesus was the only one to be benefited from His victory does not line up with other passages of the Bible. It even makes Jesus Own Words void...

Jesus was full of the Holy Spirit... which is the same Spirit that resides within us... and is the power of the Father

Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in Me? What I am telling you I do not say on My own authority and of My own accord; but the Father Who lives continually in Me does the ( His ) works (His own miracles, deeds of power).

I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father.
John 14:10‭, ‬12 AMPC
https://bible.com/bible/8/jhn.14.10-12.AMPC

Blessings... and thank you for this thought provoking thread :) it's good to see you... we have missed you

Thank you for your view, Cturtle. It's always good to get the thoughts of others in cases like this.
I can see the difficulty here, how overlapping the power in the performance of miracles and disarming the powers and authorities between Jesus and the Father might be considered. Jesus was in the Father and the Father was in Jesus.
As you point out, Jesus did say ".... the Father Who lives continually in Me does the ( His ) works (His own miracles, deeds of power)".
It's at times like this that one wishes that one was more knowledgeable in the original languages Paul and other writers used.
The use of divine power is sometimes ascribed to God and sometimes to Jesus, and for some decades I never assigned the power used in Creation to The Son of God until I read more deeply into the scriptures.

May you be blessed.
Incidentally, I have been following many themes on the site and learning without logging in.

I stick with KJV over the other versions.

Good News is different from the others I have found that it changes and skips parts so I wouldnt recommend it. I found it would cut out bits of revelation and nobody is meant to do that! Why Im not too sure but it might have used a manuscript that had bits missing, or was edited, just cos its maybe an older manuscript copy does not mean its the most accurate.
There are a few bibles that have perpetuated copying errors and then tried to claim they are a new version of the Bible but that doesnt really wash with me. If scripture does not agree with other scriptures in the context then I would not bother with that bible version. Many of the 'newer' bible versions are translated from corrupt manuscripts and it seems they didnt bother to check but just assumed it was correct. The thing is the translators needed to ask God about it rather than pepetuate an error.

So..sorry to those who read and quote from Good News.

So..sorry to those who read and quote from Good News.

I stick with KJV over the other versions.

Greetings Lanolin,
Would it not be better to use many versions when one is studying God's Word rather then just thinking the kjv is the only correct version?

Of course it is!
One should not just read from one version because far too many times they perceive what is written incorrectly and this happens a lot with those who only read one version including the kjv.

Blessings

No, sorry I like to stick with one Bible its easier!

No confusion! Sorry. God showed me that version when I asked Him not any others so I am just going with what God says. He's NEVER wrong. And He showed me that years ago and still reading His word today so..

Am not going to argue with Him.

Have you ever taught a class? Do you tell the students they need ten different textbooks? And just choose whatever one they want for each question? No wonder you confused!

I did a quick check to see who has the best translation, and the Good News Bible has it spot on.

And on that cross, Christ freed himself from the power of the spiritual rulers and authorities; he made a public spectacle of them by leading them as captives in his victory procession. (Colossians 2:15 GNB)

Jesus said
"And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." (John 12:32 KJV)

The conquering hero triumphs over sin and death.
The questionable aspect of the 'Good News Translation' is.. Christ freed himself from the power of the spiritual rulers and authorities;
Spiritual rulers and authorities never had power over the 2nd Person of the Godhead.

As a man who humbled himself and became like us?

Such was their power over Jesus, they crucified him.
He humbled Himself and laid aside His priveleges..Philippians 2:8 (KJV) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

All the while retaining His deity
Thus,..

John 19:11 (KJV) Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

John 10:18 (KJV) No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

If spiritual powers and rulers had power over Christ, this would never have happened...

Colossians 2:15 (KJV) And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Or this,

Matthew 8:32 (KJV) And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.

Many times Jesus cast out demons, too many to name.

Fine. There is no need to argue. Jesus, while he was with us on earth, was man in the flesh born of a virgin, and God in the spirit. The Word made flesh.
He never ceased being God incarnate. Even...

John 1:1 (KJV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 (KJV) And the Word was made flesh
, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Arguing? If there is one essential thing to discuss, it's who Jesus is, so we don't end up with another Jesus.

The spiritual rulers meant here were the Scribes, Pharisees, and Sadducees.
Oh, ok, those spiritual deceivers. Jesus had a few choice words for them as well. (Mt. 23)..but those 'spiritual powers and authorities' never had power over Jesus and besides the 'scribes and pharisees explanation' does not fit the context passage in Colossians..So I don't care for the way Good News translated Col 2:15. KJV is better.

Colossians 2:15 KJV
And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Last edited:
Back where we began. What or who is 'it'?
I will tell you. 'It' is shorthand for himself

Col 2:15 GNB And on that cross, Christ freed himself from the power of the spiritual rulers and authorities;
~~~~~~~~~

It goes further by saying, "he (Jesus) made a public spectacle of them by leading them as captives in his victory procession."

The victors always held their leader up high, and who was victorious that day? It was Jesus. The Romans, in their ignorance, held Jesus up high. He had the victory. Glory be to God.

It is finished, said Jesus. Praise his Holy Name.
I'm just going to say, I disagree and leave it at that. Christ didn't free Himself from anything. Nothing had power over Him. He didn't have to subject Himself in the first place as Almighty God, but thanks for your opinion.

Back where we began. What or who is 'it'?
Just my opinion... The "it" is His victory over the powers and authorities, this is not saying anyone or anything had power over Him. There are powers and principalities over US here on Earth, I believe it is these that were conquered by Jesus.

Back