King James Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
King James Version

I was always under the impression that the 1611 version had never been changed but i told that in 1885 a revision was made, anyone hve any insight?

Zondervan - King James Version (KJV)

Revisions were made in 1613, 1629, and 1638, but it was the revisions made at Cambridge in 1762 and at Oxford in 1769 that modernized its spelling so that it may be read with relative ease in our day.
Zondervan Publishing

Many many revisions have been made. It was even revised in the 1600's a few times, and 1700's and so forth

the original even had the apocrypha.

If we still had the 1611 in our hands now this is what you would be reading
:p :

Rev 21:20-21 (taken from a website :p, wrong chapter :p)
20 Hee which testifieth these things, saith, Surely, I come quickly. Amen. Euen so, Come Lord Iesus.
21 The grace of our Lord Iesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Check this out :
http://www.greatsite.com/ancient-rare-bible-leaves/king-james-1611-picture.html

and this also:
http://www.greatsite.com/ancient-rare-bible-leaves/king-james-1611-picture3.html

If you go back to english/germanic in 500-600 you would see that just a few words resemble the english we have now, but in 1300 when Wycliffe made the Bible, the english was getting better, but still with a germanic touch, such as this :
John 14:1-7. Be not youre herte affraied, ne drede it. Ye bileuen in god, and bileue ye in me. In the hous of my fadir ben many dwellyngis: if ony thing lasse I hadde seid to you, for I go to make redi to you a place. And if I go and make redi to you a place, eftsone I come and I schal take you to my silf, that where I am, ye be. And whidir I go ye witen: and ye witen the wey. Thomas seith to him, Lord, we witen not whidir thou goist, and hou moun we wite the weie. Ihesus seith to him, I am weye truthe and liif: no man cometh to the fadir, but bi me. If ye hadden knowe me, sothli ye hadden knowe also my fadir: and aftirwarde ye schuln knowe him, and ye han seen hym.
2 Cor. 1:17-20. But whanne I wolde this thing, whether I uside unstidfastnesse? ether tho thingis that I thenke, I thenke aftir the fleische, that at me be it is and it is not. But god is trewe, for oure word that was at you, is and is not, is not thereinne, but is in it. Forwhi ihesus crist the sone of god, which is prechid among you bi us, bi me and siluan and tymothe, ther was not in hym is and is not, but is was in hym. Forwhi hou many euer ben biheestis of god, in thilke is ben fulfillid. And therfor and bi him we seien Amen to god, to oure glorie.
Ephesians 3:14-21. For grace of this thing I bowe my knees to the fadir of oure lord ihesus crist, of whom eche fadirheed in heuenes and in erthe is named, that he geue to you aftir the richessis of his glorie, vertu to be strengthid bi his spirit in the ynner man; that criste dwelle bi feith in youre hertis; that ye rootid and groundid in charite, moun comprehende with alle seyntis whiche is the breede and the lengthe and the highist and the depnesse; also to wite the charite of crist more excellent thanne science, that ye be fillid in all the plente of god. And to hym that is myghti to do alle thingis more plenteuousli thanne we axen, or undirstande bi the vertu that worchith in us, to hym be glorie in the chirche and in crist ihesus in to alle the generaciouns of the worldis. Amen.

Check this out :D

• 1st Ed. King James (1611): "For God so loued the world, that he gaue his only begotten Sonne: that whosoeuer beleeueth in him, should not perish, but haue euerlasting life."
  • Rheims (1582): "For so God loued the vvorld, that he gaue his only-begotten sonne: that euery one that beleeueth in him, perish not, but may haue life euerlasting"
  • Geneva (1560): "For God so loueth the world, that he hath geuen his only begotten Sonne: that none that beleue in him, should peryshe, but haue euerlasting lyfe."
  • Great Bible (1539): "For God so loued the worlde, that he gaue his only begotten sonne, that whosoeuer beleueth in him, shulde not perisshe, but haue euerlasting lyfe."
  • Tyndale (1534): "For God so loveth the worlde, that he hath geven his only sonne, that none that beleve in him, shuld perisshe: but shuld have everlastinge lyfe."
  • Wycliff (1380): "for god loued so the world; that he gaf his oon bigetun sone, that eche man that bileueth in him perisch not: but haue euerlastynge liif,"
  • Anglo-Saxon Proto-English Manuscripts (995 AD): “God lufode middan-eard swa, dat he seade his an-cennedan sunu, dat nan ne forweorde de on hine gely ac habbe dat ece lif."

Timeline of Bible Translation History

1,400 BC: The first written Word of God: The Ten Commandments delivered to Moses.
500 BC: Completion of All Original Hebrew Manuscripts which make up The 39 Books of the Old Testament.
200 BC: Completion of the Septuagint Greek Manuscripts which contain The 39 Old Testament Books AND 14 Apocrypha Books.
1st Century AD: Completion of All Original Greek Manuscripts which make up The 27 Books of the New Testament.
315 AD: Athenasius, the Bishop of Alexandria, identifies the 27 books of the New Testament which are today recognized as the canon of scripture.
382 AD: Jerome's Latin Vulgate Manuscripts Produced which contain All 80 Books (39 Old Test. + 14 Apocrypha + 27 New Test).
500 AD: Scriptures have been Translated into Over 500 Languages.
600 AD: LATIN was the Only Language Allowed for Scripture.
995 AD: Anglo-Saxon (Early Roots of English Language) Translations of The New Testament Produced.
1384 AD: Wycliffe is the First Person to Produce a (Hand-Written) manuscript Copy of the Complete Bible; All 80 Books.
1455 AD: Gutenberg Invents the Printing Press; Books May Now be mass-Produced Instead of Individually Hand-Written. The First Book Ever Printed is Gutenberg's Bible in Latin.
1516 AD: Erasmus Produces a Greek/Latin Parallel New Testament.
1522 AD: Martin Luther's German New Testament.
1526 AD: William Tyndale's New Testament; The First New Testament printed in the English Language.
1535 AD: Myles Coverdale's Bible; The First Complete Bible printed in the English Language (80 Books: O.T. & N.T. & Apocrypha).
1537 AD: Tyndale-Matthews Bible; The Second Complete Bible printed in English. Done by John "Thomas Matthew" Rogers (80 Books).
1539 AD: The "Great Bible" Printed; The First English Language Bible Authorized for Public Use (80 Books).
1560 AD: The Geneva Bible Printed; The First English Language Bible to add Numbered Verses to Each Chapter (80 Books).
1568 AD: The Bishops Bible Printed; The Bible of which the King James was a Revision (80 Books).
1609 AD: The Douay Old Testament is added to the Rheims New Testament (of 1582) Making the First Complete English Catholic Bible; Translated from the Latin Vulgate (80 Books).
1611 AD: The King James Bible Printed; Originally with All 80 Books. The Apocrypha was Officially Removed in 1885 Leaving Only 66 Books.
1782 AD: Robert Aitken's Bible; The First English Language Bible (KJV) Printed in America.
1791 AD: Isaac Collins and Isaiah Thomas Respectively Produce the First Family Bible and First Illustrated Bible Printed in America. Both were King James Versions, with All 80 Books.
1808 AD: Jane Aitken's Bible (Daughter of Robert Aitken); The First Bible to be Printed by a Woman.
1833 AD: Noah Webster's Bible; After Producing his Famous Dictionary, Webster Printed his Own Revision of the King James Bible.
1841 AD: English Hexapla New Testament; an Early Textual Comparison showing the Greek and 6 Famous English Translations in Parallel Columns.
1846 AD: The Illuminated Bible; The Most Lavishly Illustrated Bible printed in America. A King James Version, with All 80 Books.
1885 AD: The "English Revised Version" Bible; The First Major English Revision of the KJV.
1901 AD: The "American Standard Version"; The First Major American Revision of the KJV.
1971 AD: The "New American Standard Bible" (NASB) is Published as a "Modern and Accurate Word for Word English Translation" of the Bible.
1973 AD: The "New International Version" (NIV) is Published as a "Modern and Accurate Phrase for Phrase English Translation" of the Bible.
1982 AD: The "New King James Version" (NKJV) is Published as a "Modern English Version Maintaining the Original Style of the King James."
2002 AD: The English Standard Version (ESV) is Published as a translation to bridge the gap between the accuracy of the NASB and the readability of the NIV.

Source:
http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/

Good links brother but your scripture does not match the chapter and verse.:p:)

Rev 21:20 The fift Sardonix, the sixt Sardius, the seuenth Chrysolite, the eight Beryl, the ninth a Topas, the tenth a Chrysoprasus, the eleuenth a Iacinct, the twelfth an Amethyst.
Rev 21:21 And the twelue gates were twelue pearles, euery seuerall gate was of one pearle, and the streete of the city was pure golde, as it were transparent glasse.

Timeline of Bible Translation History

1,400 BC: The first written Word of God: The Ten Commandments delivered to Moses.
500 BC: Completion of All Original Hebrew Manuscripts which make up The 39 Books of the Old Testament.
200 BC: Completion of the Septuagint Greek Manuscripts which contain The 39 Old Testament Books AND 14 Apocrypha Books.
1st Century AD: Completion of All Original Greek Manuscripts which make up The 27 Books of the New Testament.
315 AD: Athenasius, the Bishop of Alexandria, identifies the 27 books of the New Testament which are today recognized as the canon of scripture.
382 AD: Jerome's Latin Vulgate Manuscripts Produced which contain All 80 Books (39 Old Test. + 14 Apocrypha + 27 New Test).
500 AD: Scriptures have been Translated into Over 500 Languages.
600 AD: LATIN was the Only Language Allowed for Scripture.
995 AD: Anglo-Saxon (Early Roots of English Language) Translations of The New Testament Produced.
1384 AD: Wycliffe is the First Person to Produce a (Hand-Written) manuscript Copy of the Complete Bible; All 80 Books.
1455 AD: Gutenberg Invents the Printing Press; Books May Now be mass-Produced Instead of Individually Hand-Written. The First Book Ever Printed is Gutenberg's Bible in Latin.
1516 AD: Erasmus Produces a Greek/Latin Parallel New Testament.
1522 AD: Martin Luther's German New Testament.
1526 AD: William Tyndale's New Testament; The First New Testament printed in the English Language.
1535 AD: Myles Coverdale's Bible; The First Complete Bible printed in the English Language (80 Books: O.T. & N.T. & Apocrypha).
1537 AD: Tyndale-Matthews Bible; The Second Complete Bible printed in English. Done by John "Thomas Matthew" Rogers (80 Books).
1539 AD: The "Great Bible" Printed; The First English Language Bible Authorized for Public Use (80 Books).
1560 AD: The Geneva Bible Printed; The First English Language Bible to add Numbered Verses to Each Chapter (80 Books).
1568 AD: The Bishops Bible Printed; The Bible of which the King James was a Revision (80 Books).
1609 AD: The Douay Old Testament is added to the Rheims New Testament (of 1582) Making the First Complete English Catholic Bible; Translated from the Latin Vulgate (80 Books).
1611 AD: The King James Bible Printed; Originally with All 80 Books. The Apocrypha was Officially Removed in 1885 Leaving Only 66 Books.
1782 AD: Robert Aitken's Bible; The First English Language Bible (KJV) Printed in America.
1791 AD: Isaac Collins and Isaiah Thomas Respectively Produce the First Family Bible and First Illustrated Bible Printed in America. Both were King James Versions, with All 80 Books.
1808 AD: Jane Aitken's Bible (Daughter of Robert Aitken); The First Bible to be Printed by a Woman.
1833 AD: Noah Webster's Bible; After Producing his Famous Dictionary, Webster Printed his Own Revision of the King James Bible.
1841 AD: English Hexapla New Testament; an Early Textual Comparison showing the Greek and 6 Famous English Translations in Parallel Columns.
1846 AD: The Illuminated Bible; The Most Lavishly Illustrated Bible printed in America. A King James Version, with All 80 Books.
1885 AD: The "English Revised Version" Bible; The First Major English Revision of the KJV.
1901 AD: The "American Standard Version"; The First Major American Revision of the KJV.
1971 AD: The "New American Standard Bible" (NASB) is Published as a "Modern and Accurate Word for Word English Translation" of the Bible.
1973 AD: The "New International Version" (NIV) is Published as a "Modern and Accurate Phrase for Phrase English Translation" of the Bible.
1982 AD: The "New King James Version" (NKJV) is Published as a "Modern English Version Maintaining the Original Style of the King James."
2002 AD: The English Standard Version (ESV) is Published as a translation to bridge the gap between the accuracy of the NASB and the readability of the NIV.

Source:
http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/

:):):):D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

Good links brother but your scripture does not match the chapter and verse.:p:)

Rev 21:20 The fift Sardonix, the sixt Sardius, the seuenth Chrysolite, the eight Beryl, the ninth a Topas, the tenth a Chrysoprasus, the eleuenth a Iacinct, the twelfth an Amethyst.
Rev 21:21 And the twelue gates were twelue pearles, euery seuerall gate was of one pearle, and the streete of the city was pure golde, as it were transparent glasse.

LOL! blame the website ! haha they have it wrong :(
it's chapter 22 I believe then :D

where did you get these verses so fast in the original 1611 :D ?

I seriously doubt that many of us could read or understand the 1611 version of "English". It would be like a foreign language. There are still some archaic words to which I don't know the meanings, but I prefer the King James to other versions that change the meaning too much.

This article says that leaves of a 1611 first edition were sold by TV evangelists for $5,000 each. Somewhere in my collection I have two pages, but I'm not sure if they are from a first edition or not. See advertisment below. Go to their site in order to see the enlargments. (click on the images which brings up a new window)

Enlargments

Larry II

Our Biggest and Most Popular Bible Leaf

View enlargement in separate window
King James Pulpit Bible:
First Printing of the Most Printed Book in the World

A leaf from the very first press run of the original King James Bible: literally printed in the year 1611 in London, England… these leaves are 395 years old. For many people, the English language Bible as we know it today IS the King James Bible, and there is no printing of the King James Bible even ONE year older than these 1611 leaves. They come with a beautiful Certificate of Authenticity printed on marbleized cardstock. The King James Bible remains the greatest book in the English language, and the best-selling book of all time. Whether framed and displayed in your home, or given as a wonderfully unique gift: these ancient original treasures are so large and beautifully typeset as to command the attention they deserve. They really cause people to stop and stare in awe… and sometimes in disbelief that it could possibly be the real thing. It is!

Another Sample Leaf

These HUGE “Pulpit Folio” size leaves measure approximately 15 to 16 inches tall by 10 to11 inches wide... you can read them from half-way across the room. They are our largest, most beautiful, and most popular Bible leaves. Printed on 100% rag cotton linen sheet, not wood-pulp paper like books today; they remain in excellent condition… even after nearly 400 years. Each leaf is a unique piece of ancient artwork, carefully produced one-at-a-time by the King’s printers using a movable-type press, and later bound together into whole Bibles, and chained to every church pulpit in England. These genuine original antiquities are among the most rare and precious pieces of our history and our Christian heritage.

We offer these 1611 King James Pulpit Folio First Edition Bible Leaves for considerably less than the “$5,000 each” that both Pat Robertson’s 700 Club and John Hagee Ministries have been selling them for on National Television for many years! We offer those SAME leaves at under $300, and the extremely elaborate Title Pages (first chapter of a book) start at under $600.

This is simply one of the most impressive things you could possibly have hanging on the wall in your home. People often call us back to tell us how the gift of one of these 1611 King James Bible Leaves brought the recipient of the gift to tears. Imagine… having a favorite passage of scripture from the first printing of the most printed book in the world: The King James Bible of 1611. Call today to see if your favorite passage of scripture is available.

ITEM # KJF-1: $295 - A Regular Selection from the Old Testament
ITEM # KJF-2: $395 – A Regular Selection from the New Testament or Psalms
ITEM # KJF-3: $595 - $995 – Most Title Pages (very ornate)
ITEM # KJF-4: $1,500 - $7,500+ INQUIRE for a price quote on very “premium” selections such as Genesis 1, Psalm 23, The Ten Commandments, John 3:16, etc.

Note: Yes, the Apocrypha WAS part of the 1611 King James Bible (and virtually ALL Bibles printed prior to its removal in 1885). Apocrypha leaves start at just $175.

I seriously doubt that many of us could read or understand the 1611 version of "English". It would be like a foreign language. There are still some archaic words to which I don't know the meanings, but I prefer the King James to other versions that change the meaning too much.

It wasn't just the old English that was hard to read JM - just look at the font it was printed in. (My previous post)

What an interesting thread! Of course, each time it was "translated" or revised those doing the work usually had an agenda of their own. Most of the time it was to place the Bible in the hands of the people so that they could understand it. Some was for clarification. Some was simply to emphasis theology of one vein or another. Yet, isn't it wonderful how God has preserved His Word for us. Isn't it wonderful that today there are many, many who are working to bring God's Word in the language of every tribe and people.

Think, too, folks how it is that on this thread alone there are those of you from:
Quebec, Canada
Florida
Louisiana
Kentucky
Ohio
and NC (did I miss anyone?)
How wonderful it is to see and know that God's Word is loved and understood throughout His World.

The history also. How a preacher went to the Anglo-Saxons and preached to them, and they became Christians, them which are of the germanic tribes. and then english came out of them, a very hard one but still, the one we speak now comes from them. That's God's way of getting the Word preached :D
It is indeed amazing!!

Here is a Scripture out of the 1611 version I own, given to me by a friend's GrandFather, who inherited it from his GrandFather, etc, etc, published in the mid 1700s-

But, Ramsey, your timeline is inaccurate for the first copies of the New Test. coming out before the end of the first Century AD. Why? Simple-

If you read old ancient documents held in smaller Bascillicas over in England, collected and preserved by Constantine from all over Europe and the Middle East, you'd find records proving John the Apostle lived until around 80-88 AD.

And records show, it took around 1 century's time after that, for those later Christian Leaders to come across all the writings of the Apostle's that had been found over time since. Theres no way all 27 Books of the New Test. could've been put together as the New Test. Canon of Scripture that early.

Besides the fact, there were two or more Apostles also killed at some point during the mid to latter part of the 1st Century, yet before John was killed.

I ask again, if people want to share info they claim is accurate historical facts, do some real research instead of taking someone else's word on the internet for it.

Now, if I had the room where I am temporarily, I'd have all these documents out. But, if give me time, I'll give those who are interesting in really checking these things out, a list of places to contact, like I did, but by mail for nearly 30 years of studying Biblical history of all aspects.

This includes Archeological digs, dates, places and refernces where original letters of Apostles were found or who found them and backround info on each, specific people who lived in the first 3 centuries of the Church Age of Christian Leaders and Historians with thier commentaries about activities and historical facts backing God's Word in accuracy and historical developement plus more.

God Bless!!

Hey I'm not the one who made that time line xD I just copy pasted :D.
and if you read clearly, it says "completion of the original manuscripts, 27 books, etc.." it's saying completion, not compilation to make a Bible. But that they were completed BY that time. not that they made a book out of it, I know that came a bit later, I read about that too, but people were still using these original manuscripts in Church.

Usually I hear that John lived until 92 or around there. :)

That's great that you did all of that and that you love to share it with us. I really hope Jesus and Love remain in your heart though :)

God bless brother.

I ask again, if people want to share info they claim is accurate historical facts, do some real research instead of taking someone else's word on the internet for it.

Now, if I had the room where I am temporarily, I'd have all these documents out. But, if give me time, I'll give those who are interesting in really checking these things out, a list of places to contact, like I did, but by mail for nearly 30 years of studying Biblical history of all aspects.

This includes Archeological digs, dates, places and refernces where original letters of Apostles were found or who found them and backround info on each, specific people who lived in the first 3 centuries of the Church Age of Christian Leaders and Historians with thier commentaries about activities and historical facts backing God's Word in accuracy and historical developement plus more.

God Bless!!

Moderators Comment

That comment was uncalled for.

Remember the forum rules
Rule 2.1 Common courtesy and civil dialogue is expected from all participants. Common courtesy is a generally understood concept and too broad to fully define here. In short, if you have doubt on whether you should say something, DON'T!

Ramsey very clearly stated the source he used for his posting of a timeline. He posted with honest intention and believed that what he was posting was helpful and accurate.

If someone quotes a source that you feel is incorrect by all means point out the error but do not attact the integrity of the member.

We have not all been able to spend 30 years researching every topic. That is why people use the research published by others. As long as that research is used honestly and the source quoted the poster has not done anything wrong and should be treated with curtesy and respect.

Ramsey-

I realize that. But, I was relating to the "compilation" as well. The "book" called the "Bible" didn't come along until well after the 3rd Century AD. As I'd stated earlier, it wasn't till the end of the 2nd or into the 3rd Century AD, before Christian Leaders had come across the total of 27 letters that became the 27 "Books" of the New Test.

This is exactly why I did the research over all that time, so I could make my own decisions on things from info I gained of ancient documents myself. I had to learn thru the same mistakes. Thats why I did the research myself after that.

Housesitter-

While you may consider that highlighted portion of my post "uncalled for", may I remind you, in this day and age of popularity of computers in people's homes, it takes a whole lot less effort to gain the same materials I spent all those past years gaining thru the postal service.

Surely if I can spend years doing it by mail, others can spend just a few months searching for those same sites of which I'd found about 3 or 4 listed just messing around just as easily or quicker.

I wasn't trying to be mean, but, just as Christ, thru the Apostles teaches us about committment, I also look for that in those who want to share info. Is it better as God warns us against to just accept any info we find coming across our path, or be committed enough to- "test the spirit" and be sure?.

Secondly- I siggest this reprimand is out of context as well, seeing as how my highlighted comment was "asking" -

"I ask again, if people want to share info they believe is accurate historical facts, do some real research instead of taking someone else's word on the internet for it".

Please note that I "asked", I did not command or demand. I requested. As a Minister of God dealing with so many people in person, its alot easier to tell what a person is projecting of attitude and intentions by thier eyes and actions compared to speech.

That is why I'm more careful with my speech on Sites like this. In that way, my speech exactly portrays what I'm truely trying to express. I would expect someone in a Leadership position to pay more attention to such details in order to discern whats really being spoken.

Why don't you check out Annointed . net where I help Moderate. Maybe then you'll understand better where I'm coming from.

God Bless!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back