3. Truth.( Jesus)

Law demands Holiness.

Grace gives Holiness.

What is the purpose of the Law?

What is the purpose of Grace?

Ephesians
2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:​
it is the gift of God:

Law says Keep off, Grace says Embrace him.

Law says Bow the knee , Grace says Kiss Him.

Law says punish , Grace says forgive.

Under the Law the Sheep died for the Shepherd. Under Grace the Shepherd died for the sheep.

GRACE........God Recieve's At Christ's Expenses.

Sadly those who bind themselves under the law can never please God. Only those who are led by the Spirit of God are His sons. Those who base their acceptance on their ability to keep rules do not know Him.

John
1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by​
Jesus Christ.

1. Law.( Moses)

2. Grace.( Jesus)

3. Truth.( Jesus)

Law demands Holiness.

Grace gives Holiness.

Ephesians
2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:​
it is the gift of God:

Under the Law the Sheep died for the Shepherd. Under Grace the Shepherd died for the sheep.

Praise God! This is beautiful!

Laura:)

John
1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by
Jesus Christ.

1. Law.( Moses)

2. Grace.( Jesus)

3. Truth.( Jesus)

Law demands Holiness.

Grace gives Holiness.

Ephesians
2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:

it is the gift of God:

Very nice indeed.:israel::israel:

You could keep every Law in the Book and never know Christ.
You can walk in the Spirit and have life- then doing the rules comes without so much as a thought. The response is to love and please the One you love.
2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Hallelujah! Listen to those words seasoned with grace!

The Crucifixion

Luke 23:33-43

When they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left.

But Jesus was saying, "Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing "And they cast lots, dividing up His garments among themselves.
35And the people stood by, looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, "He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One."
36The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour wine,
37and saying, "If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!"
38Now there was also an inscription above Him, "THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS."
39One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, "Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!"
40But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?
41"And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong."
42And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" 43And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

The thief on the cross knew he was a sinner and that only Jesus could save him. He was broken, desperate, believing, repentant in his heart. He knew he could not save himself, there was nothing he could do, or try harder at. His Author and Perfector, Lord and Savior did it all out of love. Jesus bore the sins of sinners to justify them. The thief is a broken sinner, who expresses in his heart, like the tax collocter in the parable; "Lord have mercy on me, the sinner."
Salvation is the free gift of God. Sanctification is the work of the Spirit in a believer's life. Not by power or might, but by Grace! All Glory to God and not to us, but to you O Lord be the Glory and Dominion and Honor and Praise Forever! Amen!

"Not to us, O LORD, not to us, But to Your name give glory Because of Your lovingkindness, because of Your truth. " Psalm 115:2

"The pride of man will be humbled And the loftiness of men will be abased; And the LORD alone will be exalted in that day," Isaiah 2:17

"For My hand made all these things, Thus all these things came into being," declares the LORD. "But to this one I will look, To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word." Isaiah 66:2

Try harder? Try harder to find the door.

"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able." Luke 13:24

John 10

Parable of the Good Shepherd

1"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is (A)a thief and a robber.

2"But he who enters by the door is (B)a shepherd of the sheep.
3"To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear (C)his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and (D)leads them out.
4"When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know (E)his voice.
5"A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know (F)the voice of strangers."
6This (G)figure of speech Jesus spoke to them, but they did not understand what those things were which He had been saying to them.
7So Jesus said to them again, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am (H)the door of the sheep.
8"All who came before Me are (I)thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9"(J)I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
10"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they (K)may have life, and have it abundantly.
11"(L)I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd (M)lays down His life for the sheep.
12"He who is a hired hand, and not a (N)shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.
13"He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep.
14"(O)I am the good shepherd, and (P)I know My own and My own know Me,
15even as (Q)the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and (R)I lay down My life for the sheep.
16"I have (S)other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become (T)one flock with (U)one shepherd.
17"For this reason the Father loves Me, because I (V)lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18"(W)No one has taken it away from Me, but I (X)lay it down on My own initiative I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again (Y)This commandment I received from My Father."

"I and the Father are one." John 10:30

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." John 14:6

"So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." John 8:31-32

But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works." James 2:18

Salvation By Grace. Through Faith. From the Author and Perfector (by Grace). Dead head knowledge or belief like the demons 'dead faith,' as evidenced by no works--that unfruitful life is evidence of a dead tree, it still has hope, maybe it will be given the free gift of eternal life in Christ Jesus. A true in-the-heart, with-all-your-heart belief, REAL faith can be seen (hence 'shown') by works. That is why we are saved not of ourselves but by Grace according to Him that calleth, so no one may boast and steal glory from God by saying 'I helped.' Rathe, "Thanks be to God that while I was dead in my sins, VChrist died for me, (at that time an enemy of God, and ungodly) not according to my will, but His will, to Him that calleth. So it is NOT 'God saved me and I helped,' or 'God helped save me, too,' but "THANKS be to God in His mercy and the richness of His grace that I should have been chosen for adoption as a Son in Christ the Lord, so that I may have ears to hear and a heart to obey. That He would pour out His Spirit on me, so that He will be my God, and i will be His posession, not to live for myself anylonger; but for Him, afterall, I was created for HIS glory. Amen?

Galatians 3

1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
5He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
6Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
7Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
9So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
15Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
16Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
17And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
18For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

"...3:1-5 Several things made the folly of the Galatian Christians worse. They had the doctrine of the cross preached, and the Lord's supper administered among them, in both which Christ crucified, and the nature of his sufferings, had been fully and clearly set forth. Had they been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, by the ministration of the law, or on account of any works done by them in obedience thereto? Was it not by their hearing and embracing the doctrine of faith in Christ alone for justification? Which of these had God owned with tokens of his favour and acceptance? It was not by the first, but the last. And those must be very unwise, who suffer themselves to be turned away from the ministry and doctrine which have been blessed to their spiritual advantage. Alas, that men should turn from the all-important doctrine of Christ crucified, to listen to useless distinctions, mere moral preaching, or wild fancies! The god of this world, by various men and means, has blinded men's eyes, lest they should learn to trust in a crucified Saviour. We may boldly demand where the fruits of the Holy Spirit are most evidently brought forth? whether among those who preach justification by the works of the law, or those who preach the doctrine of faith? Assuredly among the latter." Matthew Henry

I heard a GREAT sermon on the use of the Law by Pastor Doug Wilson:

It needs to be remembered that the Law crushes those who have no faith. But the law is, in David's words (I delight in your Law, O Lord) a delight. So belief vs. unbelief is what makes the difference. THROUGH Christ, the law was fulfilled - he's the point, the fulfillment. Therefore to one who has been made new through Christ, the law is a delight, and not a huge weight of oppression that condemns.

that makes me think to ask a question I have not given much thought to yet
as I could still need to go through the book of Romans a few more times

does faith come first ? or grace ?

Daniels,

This is beautiful. Thank you for posting it.

greatjvlv.gif

does faith come first ? or grace ?

Faith first.

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
Rom 10:13-14

Before we are saved through grace (Ephe 2:5), we must believe first. And that's having faith first.

Grace... Notice the context..

Eph, 2:1 And you hathhe quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

(Eph. 6:17). Then the writer to the Hebrews declares that the sword of God’s word is "QUICK ."Quick means living and active — LIFE-GIVING! "For the word of God that speaks is alive and full of power — making it active, operative, energizing and effective; it is sharper than any two-edged sword" (Heb. 4:12, Amplified).

2Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast

Back