Looking for Advice on Congregational Participation

Tell them to go read their bibles. The book of Romans explains over and over that being a Christian does not require you to do anything. The only thing a Christian has to do is go to heaven.

I can't point to any verse, but AFAIK the only reason to go to a meeting is to fellowship with like-minded believers.

Going to heaven is not something we HAVE to do. It is what we are blessed to be able to do thanks thanks to Christ.

I would say that what we HAVE to do is treat other people in the manner that you want them to treat you. This is a hallmark of Christianity. Be kind to people, even when they are unkind to you. That way, you set an example for them, you become a representative of the Christian faith.

Matthew 7:12 Jesus Himself said......……….
"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you" .

Matthew 18:20 ........
"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with there also". = Fellowship and worship.

Hebrews 10:25...…..
"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." = Obedience.

Well, even the pastors of many churches dont actually live AT the church. Otherwise the church would be open 24/7. If it really annoys you just ring them up at 3 in the morning and ask if they want to get together to pray.

Where a pastor lives has no bearing on what he does. What you just described is part of the calling of God.

I do not have any idea of how many calls I have received at 3 AM in the morning telling me that a loved one is in the hospital and can I come.

Where a pastor lives has no bearing on what he does. What you just described is part of the calling of God.

I do not have any idea of how many calls I have received at 3 AM in the morning telling me that a loved one is in the hospital and can I come.
I was just saying that because the OP seemed rather put out that they were always asked to attend church things. Well think of pastors they are on call 24/7.

I think its nice when a church brother or sister invites me anywhere. I cant always go to everything, but the fact they ask you means they like you and value your presence.
I have been on the other side being the invitee and it does hurt sometimes when people dont respond to your invite. But then I think well they will just miss out, its their loss.
And I would rather be called on than be totally ignored and not asked anywhere. To be friendly, one must show yourself friendly. Church fellowship is as much about making friends as anything else. We are sheep and sheep flock together because one its more fun and two its safer.

I was just saying that because the OP seemed rather put out that they were always asked to attend church things. Well think of pastors they are on call 24/7.

I think its nice when a church brother or sister invites me anywhere. I cant always go to everything, but the fact they ask you means they like you and value your presence.
I have been on the other side being the invitee and it does hurt sometimes when people dont respond to your invite. But then I think well they will just miss out, its their loss.
And I would rather be called on than be totally ignored and not asked anywhere. To be friendly, one must show yourself friendly. Church fellowship is as much about making friends as anything else. We are sheep and sheep flock together because one its more fun and two its safer.

Everything you just posted is absolutely correct. Remember one very important thing in life Lanolin......….
It is not necessarily "what" we say to others, but instead..."HOW" we say it.

Everything you just posted is absolutely correct. Remember one very important thing in life Lanolin......….
It is not necessarily "what" we say to others, but instead..."HOW" we say it.
Yep, and please understand I dont do sarcasm :)

I was not being sarcastic my dear. It is a fact that people respond positively to the "way" something is said and then consider "what" is said.
Well thats true. But I still dont do sarcasm...not meaning you were doing it.
I mean if someone says to me 'when are you getting a job' i would say I dont know. They could have meant something else if they said it in a certain way but Im just answering their question.

Just be honest. If someone asks you to join their group, and you really dont feel you can make it, or face it just say. People in general are understanding if you give your reasons. Especially christians. Sometimes you dont even need to give a reason or need to explain anything if people know you well enough.

Going to heaven is not something we HAVE to do. It is what we are blessed to be able to do thanks thanks to Christ.

I would say that what we HAVE to do is treat other people in the manner that you want them to treat you. This is a hallmark of Christianity. Be kind to people, even when they are unkind to you. That way, you set an example for them, you become a representative of the Christian faith.

Matthew 7:12 Jesus Himself said......……….
"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you" .

Matthew 18:20 ........
"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with there also". = Fellowship and worship.

Hebrews 10:25...…..
"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." = Obedience.

We are using the expression with different meanings. One is "a civic duty or a social responsibility", the other is "subject to a law of the universe". A third possible meaning is "strongly advised". Christians are encouraged to do things but they can choose not to, and social gurus strongly advise things but they can choose not to, but when Jesus appears in the clouds and calls his church there is no choice: you HAVE TO go.

We are using the expression with different meanings. One is "a civic duty or a social responsibility", the other is "subject to a law of the universe". A third possible meaning is "strongly advised". Christians are encouraged to do things but they can choose not to, and social gurus strongly advise things but they can choose not to, but when Jesus appears in the clouds and calls his church there is no choice: you HAVE TO go.

You are correct. I understand your point. Would you agree that...……….

We as Christians should want to do good things for others because we made the CHOICE to be a Christian and we go to heaven when death comes or the Rapture because we made the CHOICE to be a Christian.

You are correct. I understand your point. Would you agree that...……….

We as Christians should want to do good things for others because we made the CHOICE to be a Christian and we go to heaven when death comes or the Rapture because we made the CHOICE to be a Christian.

Well, that sounds good, but a farmer who has a good crop feels the same effect. Speaking of the people I have met in the past, the average farmer is nicer than the average Christian.

Speaking of the people I have met in the past, the average farmer is nicer than the average Christian.

Perhaps i should clarify that remark. The average person claiming to be a Christian does not know the first thing about what his denomination officially believes, and quite often they do not even know if they are saved or how one gets saved.

In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

2 Timothy 4:
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Perhaps i should clarify that remark. The average person claiming to be a Christian does not know the first thing about what his denomination officially believes, and quite often they do not even know if they are saved or how one gets saved.

In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

2 Timothy 4:
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Well articulated. I am always been amazed at the number of people who simply state to a church that "God has called me to preach" and that church then allow them to pastor that church. That person may not even have finished high school and all because of a clim he makes he is them given authority over the souls of men and women in that church.

I agree with you my brother as it is because of that kind of thing we have so many different denominations and people sitting in the pews have no idea what it is that they actually believe...…..or why.

The preaching of "Bible Doctrine" is almost nonexistent today.

Back