M Rated Games?

Is it okay for a Christian to play M Rated Games?

• Yes, it's always okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's never okay.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Sometimes, depending on the game's content and if it goes against the Bible or God in any way.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think it would be okay. And you didn't even read my original post in the beginning..... I said that I don't think games that promote sexual things were not okay. I did however said shooting games were okay. I would never defend a game with adultery. Ever. I'm not courting the devil at all. Just because i play games doesn't mean it takes me away from my walk with Christ.

So you decide that one sin is alright but another is not. That is for God to decide not you.
Playing video games with violence isn't a sin. Committing murder or any violence is a sin. I don't think playing on a controller and pressing buttons along with moving analog sticks is a sin.

You knew there was something wrong with doing it or you would not have started this thread.

Matthew 5:28
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Mark 7:20-23
And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.

If you simulate sin then you are guilty of sin.

Did you again not read what I put? I said sexual content in video games is a sin. I know this. We are arguing on the exact same thing. And as far as the second verse. That is what comes out of me, which I specifically said that I play a moderate amount, not a lot. I don't let "it come out of me" that's if you commit that act. I don't.

I know. But when I'm playing a game I'm not thinking of murder. I'm thinking of the graphics, how good something is. Not the fact that I'm shooting anyone. I get that that is the whole point but if you are playing a game with mindless intentions and just to get some entertainment then there is nothing wrong with it. We can disagree, but nothing you say will make me change my opinion.

ASUK, really? It is just a form of entertainment, we don't play video games to get a murder fix. They don't make me angry either, it's purely for fun. I will eventually give them up when I have children, but for now it's fun.

Last edited:
Sorry ASUK I changed my post, didn't mean to call you a Pharisee. I just don't see any reason why all Christians should not play video games and feel they are sinful. We have a relationship with God, too you know? Don't you think we would stop playing them if the Holy Spirit prompted us? Of course we would, but that isn't always the case. Some people ride bikes, some like tv, I like video games. Sorry if that makes you think I'm a false prophet or something.

But, I do agree with you ASUK that video games contain sinful content. But, Saved By Grace and I can both attest to the fact that while we play video games, we don't like or agree with the ideas, language, or gore. We like the experience, its fun running around playing as people shooting at zombies! Playing video games doesn't hurt our relationship with God, and it's just something we use our liberty to do.

Sometimes its nice to escape reality and play competitively online, fight zombies, explore space etc.

Don't feel so self-righteous because you don't play them. That's all I want to say.

I used to play them alot. My life is so busy that I really don't have much time for them now.

I actually wasn't trying to be self righteous. We are all sinners. I don't think playing the games will keep you from being saved but they are an insidious way for the devil to get in your life.

Just be vigilant in your walk with Christ and don't let Satan whisper in your ear when you play games.

I used to play them alot. My life is so busy that I really don't have much time for them now.

I actually wasn't trying to be self righteous. We are all sinners. I don't think playing the games will keep you from being saved but they are an insidious way for the devil to get in your life.

Just be vigilant in your walk with Christ and don't let Satan whisper in your ear when you play games.
Of course, none of us are playing games going "Wow, I really hate God and want to kill people!". Haha we just play it as it is, a game. I've been playing M games since I was 10, my first being Halo 2, and if you met in me in real life you'd think "This guy wouldn't hurt a fly!". At least, I hope :)

The point is if you think of sin then you have sinned. Whether it is sex or murder.

With all due respect, that's a silly notion. For to be able to divide sin from goodness, we have to know what the sin is. If Mr. Smith thinks of something that is in fact lustful but his response to it is not of desire but rejects it, he hasn't committed sin because he thought about it. The fact that he was able know immediately that what entered his head was unGodly means he knows exactly what to reject in order to accept what God wills him to accept.

Now granted, this doesn't defend or permit the question of video games. If someone playing GTA kills four prostitutes (knowing of course that it is wrong), he's most likely not going to say "I saw it and thought of it but I know it is sinful...so I'll keep playing to see and experience more of it."

Thinking about the sin and taking delight in it is indeed sinful. Merely thinking of it at all with no context to go along with it is not a sin.

With all due respect, that's a silly notion. For to be able to divide sin from goodness, we have to know what the sin is. If Mr. Smith thinks of something that is in fact lustful but his response to it is not of desire but rejects it, he hasn't committed sin because he thought about it. The fact that he was able know immediately that what entered his head was unGodly means he knows exactly what to reject in order to accept what God wills him to accept.

Now granted, this doesn't defend or permit the question of video games. If someone playing GTA kills four prostitutes (knowing of course that it is wrong), he's most likely not going to say "I saw it and thought of it but I know it is sinful...so I'll keep playing to see and experience more of it."

Thinking about the sin and taking delight in it is indeed sinful. Merely thinking of it at all with no context to go along with it is not a sin.

That's basically what I meant. I worded it badly because I was on my phone and in a hurry.

Hello everyone. I was curious to see what everyone thought on this topic. Are M rated games okay for Christians to play? I say Yes and No. Here's my explanation:

Yes: The reason that one answer is Yes is that it depends on what game it is and what it consists of. There are games that I think ESRB go too far with. Although, ESRB is looking at this at a point of view of the parental side of the game. I think one example of this is Call of Duty. Call of Duty is a shooting game that ESRB rates as "Intense Violence" and "Strong Language" game. I think that as long as there isn't anything that is sacrilegious within the game or denies that God is real then I don't think that it's too big of a problem.

No: The reason my other answer is No is that some games are just too violent and too explicit and have very inappropriate content not made for Christians. For example, Grand Theft Auto is a game that is the perfect example for this. This game is an Open World game where you can basically do whatever you want. This consists of things like gangs, robbery, and things that aren't okay for Christians to be playing and/or seeing. This is because it is such a realistic game that it almost makes you feel like you are actually committing that crime. I completely despise this game.

What do you all think? Do you think it's completely No or it's always Yes? Now, I know this isn't a topic that is hardly ever mentioned but I'd just like to see what CFS has to say about this.

I am very conservative. I believe we should abstain from all video games, even the ones that are "good for you." Guard the avenues to the soul, Eyes, Ears, Mouth, Touch etc..

Hello everyone. I was curious to see what everyone thought on this topic. Are M rated games okay for Christians to play? I say Yes and No. Here's my explanation:

Yes: The reason that one answer is Yes is that it depends on what game it is and what it consists of. There are games that I think ESRB go too far with. Although, ESRB is looking at this at a point of view of the parental side of the game. I think one example of this is Call of Duty. Call of Duty is a shooting game that ESRB rates as "Intense Violence" and "Strong Language" game. I think that as long as there isn't anything that is sacrilegious within the game or denies that God is real then I don't think that it's too big of a problem.

No: The reason my other answer is No is that some games are just too violent and too explicit and have very inappropriate content not made for Christians. For example, Grand Theft Auto is a game that is the perfect example for this. This game is an Open World game where you can basically do whatever you want. This consists of things like gangs, robbery, and things that aren't okay for Christians to be playing and/or seeing. This is because it is such a realistic game that it almost makes you feel like you are actually committing that crime. I completely despise this game.

What do you all think? Do you think it's completely No or it's always Yes? Now, I know this isn't a topic that is hardly ever mentioned but I'd just like to see what CFS has to say about this.

It is for sure a giant industry and trying to remove or limit these violent games is like spitting into the wind.

My "opinion" is that we should all look around at society around us. The generation now was raised on these games and their children will be even more affected.

I think we should ask our selves if there is more violent crimes being committed now than yesterday?

Are we seeing more cases of insanity and moms and dads killing their children.
Are we seeing more work place killings.
Are there more people in mental institutions now they ever before.

If the answer to these is YES, then wouldn't it be prudent to ask how selves if these type of games are contributing to these cases.

We may say we are not affected, but is that really the case?

I am very conservative. I believe we should abstain from all video games, even the ones that are "good for you." Guard the avenues to the soul, Eyes, Ears, Mouth, Touch etc..
No video games are good for you. I just play them for entertainment. When sinful things appear on screen, I recognize them and go "Really?". But the truth is, you can't t escape sin in this world. Good luck guarding your eyes, ears, and mouth. The only thing that matters is how we react to sin, and trust me, I hate it just as much as you do. I just happen to find enjoyment in video games, and I recognize some might not.

Am conservative as well, at least I think I am : )

I wonder if you played video games when you were younger....

my point: "Youth is wasted on the young"

when one is older and given more responsibility, that is another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back