M Rated Games?

Is it okay for a Christian to play M Rated Games?

• Yes, it's always okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's never okay.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Sometimes, depending on the game's content and if it goes against the Bible or God in any way.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very conservative. I believe we should abstain from all video games, even the ones that are "good for you." Guard the avenues to the soul, Eyes, Ears, Mouth, Touch etc..
Things outside of you don't defile you. Jesus said the things that come out of you defile you. Sinful images going in don't make us sinful, sinful responses make us sinful. When I play murdering games, I know it's fake and play for the gameplay and mechanics, nothing more.

Things outside of you don't defile you. Jesus said the things that come out of you defile you. Sinful images going in don't make us sinful, sinful responses make us sinful. When I play murdering games, I know it's fake and play for the gameplay and mechanics, nothing more.

Believe it or not but the murders in the game will desensitize you to the real murders in the world.

Like I said earlier, it is insidious.

in·sid·i·ous
inˈsidēəs/
adjective
proceeding in a gradual, subtle way, but with harmful effects.

Believe it or not but the murders in the game will desensitize you to the real murders in the world.

Like I said earlier, it is insidious.

in·sid·i·ous
inˈsidēəs/
adjective
proceeding in a gradual, subtle way, but with harmful effects.
Murdering a real human being is 1000x different than "murdering" pixeled ai that look like people. I have no care for pixeled ai, real humans on the other hand...
Come on ASUK, video games are virtual realities, and anyone who thinks they are real shouldn't be playing them.

But, that may be your fear, and I respect the fact you find these things damaging. However, I do not feel the same way you do, and you must respect that as well.

I may be the only guy in my age group that isn't a gamer. As my generation matured, so did video games. They became more complex, more interesting, more violent (yet more refined), and even more intelligent (whether you agree with games like Red Dead Redemption or not, it's smarter than Frogger, no disrespect to Frogger of course).

Video Games have become a new medium of entertainment for adults as movies were and TV is. However, is it a good idea to have involvement?

To begin, not everyone struggles with the same sin. If playing video games is a sin, it's not because it's in digital format that makes it wrong. It could be for different or even multiple reasons for different people. It may be wrong for Joe because it is an addiction. It may be wrong for Carlos because he takes pleasure in seeing violent images.

But then what about someone like Tony? To go to the extreme, Tony plays non-violent, clean video games once in awhile and even does it with his 13-year-old son. They laugh together, have fun with it together, and then even when they're done, move on. Did he commit a sin for playing a video game rather than a game of catch? Is it instantly slothful? If so, why aren't boardgames?

If it's because that itself can become a subject of addiction, does non-nutritious food become sinful even if enjoyed once in awhile?

I'm not taking one side over the other, but I don't want to make blanketed statements either because there does seem to be a lot of grey area. Grey area doesn't permit sin, but it's worth asking anyway. If someone decides he wants no part of it because he simply can't claim it isn't sinful, then he's making a fair decision. But if something like video games by default is a direct sin vs. the idea that it can lead to sin, does junk food, books, TV, sex, movies, heck--even education become a sin because of man's own sinful instinct?

To avoid something out of discretion isn't bad, but to claim it is bad for everyone merely because of your own struggles really goes pretty far with it. Cloisters like monks live simple lives outside of worldly pleasures like certain foods, entertainment, etc. But the misconception of this is that they avoid them because these are sinful things...that's not why they do it. They avoid these things because they're good, and they know it is a sacrifice to give up these things for God. A cupcake isn't sinful. We have some senses that God gave us as gifts, not to indulge outside of His goodness, but to appreciate His blessings.

No video games are good for you. I just play them for entertainment. When sinful things appear on screen, I recognize them and go "Really?". But the truth is, you can't t escape sin in this world. Good luck guarding your eyes, ears, and mouth. The only thing that matters is how we react to sin, and trust me, I hate it just as much as you do. I just happen to find enjoyment in video games, and I recognize some might not.

Lords prayer says "Lead us not into temptation." But God is not going to perform what we can do ourselves.

Murdering a real human being is 1000x different than "murdering" pixeled ai that look like people. I have no care for pixeled ai, real humans on the other hand...
Come on ASUK, video games are virtual realities, and anyone who thinks they are real shouldn't be playing them.

But, that may be your fear, and I respect the fact you find these things damaging. However, I do not feel the same way you do, and you must respect that as well.

To play devil's advocate, while you're right that murdering in a video game is not nearly as grievous as murdering in real life, entertaining a small lustful thought, while it isn't the same as adultery, still remains a sin -- a boring, common, banal sin albeit, but still a sin.

Is a video game like GTA, even sans-sexuality, not a sin anymore because it's not real life?

I think this all goes back to what our Lord said to the Pharisees.

Mark 7:15-16
"Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them.”

Sinful images or sinful ideas going into our head don't make us sin, sin comes from out of us. When I play games, I do not agree with the morality and ideas in them, if I did, it would be sin to me.

And please realize, video games aren't my life. I just play them from time to time because I have yet to leave my parents house. When I have kids, I will ditch the games for fear it might make them stumble.

I think this all goes back to what our Lord said to the Pharisees.

Mark 7:15-16
"Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them.”

Sinful images or sinful ideas going into our head don't make us sin, sin comes from out of us. When I play games, I do not agree with the morality and ideas in them, if I did, it would be sin to me.

1 John 2:
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 John 2:
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
I don't love the world. It is merely entertainment, and I put off all the worldliness within it, I don't embrace it or agree with it.

I don't love the world. It is merely entertainment, and I put off all the worldliness within it, I don't embrace it or agree with it.

James 1:22-25
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed

22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:

24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed

Are you saying that one should not have any down time?

Do you even know what the law of liberty is?

I have a video game going in the background on my computer as I type this.

Lets see what I have done today, I read my Bible and prayed for a couple hours today when I woke up. I added items into Quicken that needed to be added. Wrote out a nice message to my daughter on her birthday card and mailed it. Spent some time with my wife and daughter. Ortdered my wife's OTC meds for the month. Cooked and gave my daughter lunch.

Currently, my daughter is down for her nap and my wife is resting. Since I do the household chores, this is my down time.

Am I doing something sinful? Nope. How do I know this? I have prayed extensively about it.

Did you know that you can show the love of Christ in a video game? I play mainly massively multi-player online roleplaying games, so I am around thousands of other people. My actions within the game can and have shown Christ's love. I have had people ask why I am so nice in game when many would just take advantage of others. I let them know that I am a Christian and about the good news of the gospel and Christ.

Video games are just another medium in which to further the kingdom, especially in the genre of video game that I play.

Last edited:
Lot of great points! So I am not even sure how much value I can add on :)

I think video game in isolation does not look like sin.. But when a believer starts playing it, it will "certainly" disrupt his walk with Christ.. I am a living testimony for that! Forget games like GTA or COD.. How about games like Subway Surfer or Farmville? What harm it does? Farmville? Just farming!!! There is nothing wrong in that.. But how much time it would have taken out of my Bible Study and prayer? Playing farmville in isolation does not look like sin.. But in a believer's life, it will impact the relationship with Christ and we are to stay away from it..

Instead of trying to see whether its right or wrong, we need to see whether it brings glory to God. Whether it is pleasing to God.. That would avoid us from falling into legalistic trap!

1 Corinthians 10:31 - So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Lot of great points! So I am not even sure how much value I can add on :)

I think video game in isolation does not look like sin.. But when a believer starts playing it, it will "certainly" disrupt his walk with Christ.. I am a living testimony for that! Forget games like GTA or COD.. How about games like Subway Surfer or Farmville? What harm it does? Farmville? Just farming!!! There is nothing wrong in that.. But how much time it would have taken out of my Bible Study and prayer? Playing farmville in isolation does not look like sin.. But in a believer's life, it will impact the relationship with Christ and we are to stay away from it..

Instead of trying to see whether its right or wrong, we need to see whether it brings glory to God. Whether it is pleasing to God.. That would avoid us from falling into legalistic trap!

1 Corinthians 10:31 - So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

I would say that what I shared above would be doing it all for the glory of God, yes, even in a video game that is indeed possible.

It's for God's glory I take the time to do things I enjoy, he gives us the liberty to do so, and I praise him for it. However, I will eventually give up video games one day... Well actually, maybe not if they come out with games that blow people away. Anyone heard of No Man's Sky? Not even M rated I don't think.

The good question is where is the line?

We've talked about the subject of alcohol, food, movies, etc. in here. The line sometimes seems fuzzy, especially since different people struggle with their own demons -- what triggers us to sin is not a one-sized-fits-all.

Some are a problem from the start -- there is no possibility into falling into sit by practicing fornication. As soon as it is practiced, it is sin. This is why something like video games, movies, junk food, etc, is different and is fair in evaluating.

It's for God's glory I take the time to do things I enjoy, he gives us the liberty to do so, and I praise him for it. However, I will eventually give up video games one day... Well actually, maybe not if they come out with games that blow people away. Anyone heard of No Man's Sky? Not even M rated I don't think.

I empathize. But if you cannot give it up now, you wont later. Check out the following. God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back