Married to unbeliever

To rightly divide the Word of truth, we compare all scriptures on any certain subject. These are the words of Jesus Himself and since we will be judged by His Word one day (John 12:48), I chose to do as He says above what people say.

Matthew 5:32
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mark 10:11
And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. 12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery

Luke 16:18
Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

To rightly divide the Word of truth, we compare all scriptures on any certain subject. These are the words of Jesus Himself and since we will be judged by His Word one day (John 12:48), I chose to do as He says above what people say.

But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. 12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery

Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

All that is fine,
Adultery can be committed in the heart as well, thats fine but!!! but but but
Most people who separate do have sexual relations with others before divorce, so if that was the cause, you would be free to remarry if the person leaved then had sex with someone.

Subject is rather complex and confusing to me, :S.

GodSpeaks posted:
There is a solution to marriages that have gone sour, and that is to ask the Lord to restore the marriage. He has done so in so many instances that I know of, including even ministers. And their marriages are greater now than ever. So there is never a hopeless situation because our God can do anything. He is a miracle worker

But you are not saying that a failed marriage is due either to the fact that there was no, or not enough prayer, or that one or both parties did not believe enough for God to save their marriage?

Blessings,
calvin

So you're saying two witnesses outweigh one? ;)

No. But they don't contradict, they just don't say everything in everyplace. But when you put them all together you get the full picture :)

It would be like if three of us were at the same place. I would tell about what was said. You would tell a little of what was said and details of what you saw. Someone else would tell some of what they saw and what they heard. But we would be telling about the same situation, yet each of us does not mention everything about it.

No. But they don't contradict, they just don't say everything in everyplace. But when you put them all together you get the full picture :)

It would be like if three of us were at the same place. I would tell about what was said. You would tell a little of what was said and details of what you saw. Someone else would tell some of what they saw and what they heard. But we would be telling about the same situation, yet each of us does not mention everything about it.

Jesus said .. "in the beginning it was not so" .. can you find an example of a divorce between Adam and Eve in the beginning?

Did you know that the adultery clause was a pharisee preference? why do the first two written gospels not have that instruction? also is a question that comes to mind .

you don't have to answer the questions but they sure are interesting to live in aren't they?

GodSpeaks posted:

But you are not saying that a failed marriage is due either to the fact that there was no, or not enough prayer, or that one or both parties did not believe enough for God to save their marriage?

Blessings,
calvin

No not necessarily, altho sometimes that could only be a part of it. Its not just prayer and about believing. But both should attempt to do what they can to make it work. And they can, IF Jesus is first in their lives He will give them a solution.

Sometimes people have not been taught alot in their churches or one may want to go their own way. They may not be strong in the faith. There could be so many reasons and situations there is no way to mention them all.. But those who were not but didn't know about some of there things, or ANY of the scriptures on various topics, they just repent and ask the Lord's forgiveness and ask Him what He would have them do now.

No not necessarily, altho sometimes that could only be a part of it. Its not just prayer and about believing. But both should attempt to do what they can to make it work. And they can, IF Jesus is first in their lives He will give them a solution.

Sometimes people have not been taught alot in their churches or one may want to go their own way. They may not be strong in the faith. There could be so many reasons and situations there is no way to mention them all.. But those who were not but didn't know about some of there things, or ANY of the scriptures on various topics, they just repent and ask the Lord's forgiveness and ask Him what He would have them do now.
Yes lack of commitment is the killer. This is more often the obstacle with 'hybrid' marriages, but not confined to them. As you say if both parties want their relationship to work, then with the Lord's help it will.
blessings,
calvin

I sort of wanted to jump in and give my view on the matter.

The breakup of any relationship is very hard. It hurts. And when well meaning christians come in and give their interpretation of scriptures that bring condemnation, it hurts more.
That is usually when we lose a member of the church, often it is both members (and children) we lose because of the whole thing. I think you know what I mean, at least in general.
My thoughts on this matter is to be supportive of the one who is trying so hard to find the Lord in the matter and support them. I believe that each case is different and that a person
must hear the Lord personally on this. "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word (rhema) that comes from the mouth of God." I believe that to be true in every situation.
Consider King David, who murdered a husband and then married the lady. Did the Lord break them up? No, it was one of their sons (Solomon) that went on to be a mighty man in the Lord.
Were their repercussions? Oh yes. But, God did not turn His back on David.

Also, on another point, where it says, "what God hath joined together, let no man put asunder," I have to ask.. out of all the divorces that are going on, how many did God put together? How many
are just following their natural hearts and doing the normal thing? How many seriously consider God? Sometimes we can't just see someone's marriage break up and then blame God for creating the mess when He actually had nothing to do with it in the first place.

In summary, in my opinion is strongest in the area of hearing the Lord and following His advice in each specific situation. Peace will come.

thanks for letting me share

I just wanna know the answer lol.
But it wont come.
my personal feelings might be getting in the way or it could be the Holy Spirit, I am just not sure.
But I am just not happy with the teachings of most..
I dont feel it is right, I just dont & I cant explain it.
I feel that this complex topic is meant to be really simple and not mean as much as we think.
Thats what I honestly feel because;
It is to complex, to confusing and the scripture to get the result is ALL over the place.
Surly if this was a big thing, God would make it clearer? :|
I cant see God punishing someone to be alone in this world because their partner left them, I just cant.
This deeply troubles me, even though it doesn't affect me at all! weird huh?

I just wanna know the answer lol.
But it wont come.
my personal feelings might be getting in the way or it could be the Holy Spirit, I am just not sure.
But I am just not happy with the teachings of most..
I dont feel it is right, I just dont & I cant explain it.
I feel that this complex topic is meant to be really simple and not mean as much as we think.
Thats what I honestly feel because;
It is to complex, to confusing and the scripture to get the result is ALL over the place.
Surly if this was a big thing, God would make it clearer? :|
I cant see God punishing someone to be alone in this world because their partner left them, I just cant.
This deeply troubles me, even though it doesn't affect me at all! weird huh?

I too have been sort of on the side lines so to speak as this is such a controversial and complex issue and can even go far more than what every one is talking about , meaning adultery .

I have to say as a divorced woman I feel if some one came along , I would definately not feel condemnation or or that I was commiting sin . ( Not that I am even looking but you get the picture)

There are so many other reasons for divorce that have not been addressed . I for one come from a verbally, physically and emotionally abusive marriage that lasted for 20 years . Why did I stay so long people ask .?

1....To pray for my ex that he would get saved .

2... To show a Christian example to my son .

3..... It was not God's timing that I leave.

I am not going into all the details cause that would take pages but to say .... please do not judge people unless you know the whole truth as to their individual situation. Thanks and God Bless.

Confusion does not come from God, thats all I know.
So why is this so confusing?
Just cant see it being a big deal like we think, but thats just me, thats what seems to have been on my heart for ages and thats all I can keep concluding.
But I do know, that personal feelings might be playing a part in whats on my heart, or it could be all God.
I just cant discern it atm.

Confusion does not come from God, thats all I know.
So why is this so confusing?
Just cant see it being a big deal like we think, but thats just me, thats what seems to have been on my heart for ages and thats all I can keep concluding.
But I do know, that personal feelings might be playing a part in whats on my heart, or it could be all God.
I just cant discern it atm.

Hey I hear you and people do make it a big issue and I would like to say : Let the Holy Spirit be your guide . We are not living in the dark ages and the Holy Spirt dirrects our pathes and no matter what people say or don't say , I will go by what the Holy Spirit tells me .

I think now because of my age , I am past all " What people say "

I feel that, yes believer is free to remarry if the unbeliever leaves.
Because they are not bound if the unbeliever leaves..

I dont think, feel or see it is as harsh as people make out, God ceritnaly wouldnt hold your past against you in your time of being a unbeliever, isn't that the whole point of Jesus after all?? to wash that past away and help you to be more righteousness?

Here's a question:

If a couple marries, is it always God's Will they become as one? Or is it possible for a couple to married even when God is nudging one not to do it because the other is not a believer?

If the latter, is it possible God wants us to honor our commitments, as we are to reflect Christ thru our lives, but if the unbeliever leaves, we are no longer bound?

I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not everything we do is God's Will. It's not. But God works with everything we do to accomplish His goals.

We can deliberately marry an athiest, buddhist or muslim which would be blatantly against God's Will. This isn't even a situation where two can become one, as is. You cannot make yes, no or no, yes - they are contrary to one another.

The hope is in God transforming the unbeliever thru the believer.

If the unbeliever leaves, the believer IMO, is set free to seek God's Will which might include marrying a believer and raising up godly children together.

Back