Missions

Hi Lanolin;

We went on a missions trip in Central America, to a country called Belize. We went there to build a playground at a children's "temporary" shelter" for abused children before they are sent to a permanent shelter.

In the evening our missions group did a Bible study in the books of Acts and discussed Paul's first missionary to Asia Minor and 2nd/3rd to Macedonia, Achaia and Ephesus, and shared how we could relate a little to Paul's ministry, what if felt like to be in a country not able to speak the language, and being pretty far from San Francisco. I remember sharing how much I hated doing the physical work of shoveling a mountain of dirt in the hot sun, the atmosphere was between humid and dry. But when we thought of the children, many of them bruised, beaten abandoned and some of the children's parents could not be identified, it made it all worth the work and for one cause, to give God glory for serving His little children. At the end when the playground was completed, the look on the children's faces made it all worth serving Him.

The second mission was years earlier in life when my Dad was stationed in Germany. It was difficult as a boy living in another country and adapting to their customs. I learned to speak very basic Deutsch in the 3rd - 5th grade, but living in a German neighborhood the community was very friendly. In a way, this was a kind of a mission where I was the one being ministered to. There was a purety in the neighborhood that ministered to me as a child and it was that time in Germany that I gave my life to Jesus.

God bless you and your family.
I dont know much about Belize, why were the children abused...? Whats happening there that so many children are being abused and orphaned?
What about Germany are many people open to the gospel there?

My mom has gone on missions. She has gone on thirty something missions. Both outside and in the USA. She has a heart for them. She went to Germany, Africa, Venezuela, Philippines, to NY, Louisiana just to name a few. And really loved the outside ones with the third world countries. As she says that the people despite being poor are happy with what they have. As she comes back trying not to take things for granted.

I dont know much about Belize, why were the children abused...? Whats happening there that so many children are being abused and orphaned?
What about Germany are many people open to the gospel there?

Hello Lanolin;

Belize is in Central America. The children who were abused or abandoned by their parents, most of them were arrested but the children became wards of the country and placed in the temporary shelter where we served. The temporary shelter is run by an American missionary. The "temporary shelter" is an arrangement until the children are placed in a permanent children's shelter where the program provides more care, funding for the children and hopefully adoption by a family.

Unfortunately, like most countries there are epidemics of family dysfunction for all kinds of reasons, co-dependancy, unwanted pregnancies, divorce, abandonment, the Dad or Mom imprisoned for commiting a crime.

The children's temporary shelter has seen so many miracles like physical healing from abuse, adoption bypassing the permanent children's shelter, funding by donors, dedicated staff, fervent prayer and God's presence over His children.

Germany is open to the gospel but like all nations we have our internal challenges and need to pray for all and for God's missionaries to go and make disciples.

Is there a big drug problem in Belize, just wondering. In my country a lot of problems come from alcohol, people, men especially drink too much. The theres other drugs like P and marijuana.

Some countries you can say they are not prosperous its because of the govt, like afghanistan is an islamic republic, china is communist and athiestic. Bengal is more like economic problems, but its also cos of hindu beliefs. Im not saying christian nations are 'first world' either, because wealth and excess bring their own problems, but I think there is less divide between rich and poor when countries are ruled by christians or follow christian principles. People have more compassion on those less fortunate than themselves. Why because God feels the same. He wants to share heaven with us lowly humans. He created it so we can be with Him forever.

My mom has gone on missions. She has gone on thirty something missions. Both outside and in the USA. She has a heart for them. She went to Germany, Africa, Venezuela, Philippines, to NY, Louisiana just to name a few. And really loved the outside ones with the third world countries. As she says that the people despite being poor are happy with what they have. As she comes back trying not to take things for granted.
I think everyone ought to be happy with what they have. I am not starving to death, in prison, and the roof over my head is not leaking. I also have nice warm pyjamas. I have God dwelling in me. I am happy! What have I got to complain about?!

Rich peoples problems are so lame!

Is going on missions - spreading the gospel even if you arent actually evangelising.

Is my question. You might go somewhere to help, like say doctors without borders, but you cant tell the gospel. Is that a true commission, or is it just 'voluntourism'.

I am reminded of Samaritans Purse which, while they do disaster relief, they always make sure to spread the gospel as well. Because if we dont spread the gospel, or preach the word or invtie anyone to know Christ we arent doing anyone any favours.

What do people think. Or what does God think.

Hello Lanolin;

Is going on missions - spreading the gospel even if you arent actually evangelising.

Is my question. You might go somewhere to help, like say doctors without borders, but you cant tell the gospel. Is that a true commission, or is it just 'voluntourism'.

I am reminded of Samaritans Purse which, while they do disaster relief, they always make sure to spread the gospel as well. Because if we dont spread the gospel, or preach the word or invtie anyone to know Christ we arent doing anyone any favours.

I studied two different semesters of Missiology at seminary and this helped me understand missions in my first experience in Belize.

Yes, you are actually doing both in one setting. Christian missions is about spreading Christianity. Evangelism is about spreading the gospel. Christian missions is evangelism and evangelism is missions. If you get the opportunity to take a course in missions or missiology, this will be the fundamental definition and teaching of missions and evangelism.

Lanolin, if you are led one day to serve in missions whether home country or overseas there may be the project of building homes, providing medical, tending to an old folks home, children's education, building a library or playground, but we must be careful to distinguish between the project and missions/evangelism.

Voluntourism to the doctors without borders, yes, can be voluntourism assuming its a non-missional project. But, between you and God, it is a commission. God will make a way for you to evangelize to the unreached (by His Might) aside from helping the doctors. Look at our current missionaries - Middle East, China, India, etc...God makes a way for His missionaries to spread the gospel.

Good point on Voluntourism. Many "short term" missionaries will go and do missions but then go shopping which is the highlight to them. This is not missions, but Voluntourism.

Samaritans Purse which administers Disaster Relief is an excellent ministry and our church continues to support. You are absolutely correct!

Good question on what people think or what God thinks. I feel we need to put more teaching into Missiology in our Christian communities, and highly recommend anyone who feels prompted by the Spirit to take in your church, online, Bible College or seminary. God will honor His servants who undertakes a short term or long term missionary to serve the unreached.

Back