Mormonism

Quite some years ago two Mormons dressed in their trousers, shirt and ties knocked at my house. Stupidly i let them in after they asked to come in for prayer. They said they were not to be in a house with a woman alone, and asked if there was a garden. In the garden they said a prayer. They left me a Mormon bible and told me about their church and that they could even meet me and pick me up in their car. Nothing too much wrong there?! A few days later they called again. I'd just got out of the bath and was wrapped in a towel, i opened the door ajar and told them thanks very much but i wasn't interested in their mormonism. They seemed quite persistant and not taking the hint bearing in mind that i had told them that it was also an inconvenient time as i'd just come out of the bath. What was also disturbing was there was another man just a few steps to the side of the other two who looked quite unkempt and in stark contrast to the other two. This man was looking intently and it was really quite strange. I closed my front door and thought how odd. , that other man there in the background, their reluctance to leave and wanting to come in ( they'd asked to come in) , i was in a towel and i thought after that they had come in previously , my back garden was terraced, no way out. Sorry for this crazy inclusion here but that was my occurence with two (three) of them. Was before i knew Christ Jesus.

There seem to be a lot of Mormons in Australia; it's pretty huge in the pacific islands. I've had the chance to speak with many Mormons during my time in Aus. My overall impression is that much of their unique beliefs are a re-branding of Christian ideas in order to establish the legitimacy of their leadership; in other words, they've tried to find a way to make obeying (certain) men = obeying God.

When I speak with Mormons (and I generally find them very easy to speak with), I don't find a "debate" strategy to be very helpful. They are put under a massive burden of unattainable perfection, so I try to impart to them the hope of the One who says that His yoke is easy and His burden, light.

here is what he also said ..
I have not found any protests regarding the date of P 52. There is consensus among C. H. Roberts, Frederic Kenyon, H. I. Bell, Adolf Deissmann, and W. P. Hatch. I have found the arguments very convincing for the early date of the papyrus. P52 shows critical similarities to many other early papyri: P. Fayum 110 (94 CE); the Egerton Gospel (130-50 CE); P. Oslo 22 (127 CE); P. London 278 (81-96 CE); and P. Berolinenses 6845 (ca 100 CE). The closest papyrus is P. Berolinenses 6845 (ca 100 CE) - even P. Berol. 6845 has handwriting that parallels other first century papyri, but the editors dated it second century because of its appearance. Therefore, the editors of the most recent publication of P52 have dated it closer to 100 CE (Comfort, The Text of the Earliest Greek NT MSS, 2001).
THE YOUNGER DATE NOW APPLIED IS ONLY 2 YEARS AFTER THE DEATH OF JOHN (98 ad) MEANING IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE IT CAME FROM HIS HAND ..
you have NOTHING that can prove that the Golden Tablets that were used to compile the Mormon scripture were accurate translations of the original texts other than BELIEF ..
you sure you want to travel this path ???
the message should be the same .. Love God, Love others, and Live righteously ..
do we not both preach this ???

Are you asking this forum, or did you ask the Mormon that question?

what part of "he said", "I said" don't you get ???

the purpose of presenting the convo, was to give insight in the Mormon justification of cherry picking scripture ..

another important aspect is that Mormons believe in three Gods not one ..

he said ..
The teachings of the ministers in the time of Joseph Smith and certainly even today, was and is that of a Triune God. This teaching came about at the Council of Nicea. When Joseph went into the grove to pray about which church he should join, he beheld in open vision ... "two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other--THIS IS MY BELOVED SON, HEAR HIM". Joseph learned from this encounter that God and His Son, Jesus Christ are two separate beings. He learned that they were not Personages of spirit, but were flesh and bone.

here is more of his words ..

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adams transgressions.
3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of God
4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by emersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority,to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers,evangelists, and so forth.
7. We believe in the gift of tounges, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tounges, and so forth.
8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be buit upon the American contenant; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11.We claim the privledge of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privledge, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12. We believe in being subject to kings,presidents,rulers,and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtious, and in doing good to all men; indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul--We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtious, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Peter said, "Not my feet only, but my head, too."

To paraphrase Peter: Not the lines only, but also the sentences and paragraphs, and...

Jhn 13:10
Jesus said to him, “He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all.
(which was a reference to Judas)

to paraphrase Jesus: if a person can read it shouldn't be that difficult ..
just not everyone here is proficient ..

Last edited:
Jhn 13:10 Jesus said to him, “He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all.” (which was a reference to Judas)
to paraphrase Jesus: if a person can read it shouldn't be that difficult ..
just not everyone here is proficient ..

It's not the reading: it's the lack of punctuation marks.
I can see that in High School, you must have missed Punctuations 101.

It's not the reading: it's the lack of punctuation marks.
I can see that in High School, you must have missed Punctuations 101.

what lack of punctuation ???
I use ??? and " " and , and : and ..
(once in awhile even !!!)
if anything, I over punctuate ..
is there anything else you want to nit pick about ???

Last edited:
what lack of punctuation ???
I use ??? and ..
if anything, I over punctuate ..
is there anything else you want to nit pick about ???

nitpick is one word: if you would like to use more than one word, it's pick a nit. You can pretend you're scratching your hair
as in deep thought.

actually .. Mr Smith edited (corrected according to him) the entire bible .. meaning he changed parts ..
salvation comes through Jesus when we embrace Him and His sacrifice on the cross for our sins .. so yeah .. they can and do preach salvation correctly .. they just have a lot of dogmatic understandings as well ..
That is not how they teach salvation.

Back