My church is becoming a healing centered church

I belong to a very financially poor church, which is blessed with richness of fervent love for the Lord and has many parishioners and clergy who are spiritually gifted in healing. I have witnessed what is medically impossible, and I am currently witnessing the psychological healing of my husband whose childhood was beyond brutal and who has carried his terrible pain with him his entire life. This decision on the part of the church to become a healing church was certainly not motivated as a gimmick to make our little church more popular or prosperous, but the clergy, seeing that this church has been consistently gifted in this manner, wished to focus on what seems to be a clear calling from the Lord.

We are in all a very quiet congregation, but we also are open, loving, and accepting especially of those who are broken in mind, body, and spirit. Christ once said something to the effect that it was those who were sick that needed healing. He made this comment in response to being rebuked for dining with tax collectors and other despised person's of the society at the time. When I first went to my current home church, I felt welcomed and comfortable and like I had finally found my way to where I needed to be. My sickness was my sin and my new church was a house of healing - the house of the Lord.

The church that I recently attended for over a year prior to being led by the Spirit to my current home church, had very strict rules about who could actually become a full member. This required sitting before a panel of elders and clergy to be examined. They were looking to exclude people from church membership who they considered unqualified by their stringent standards. I was free to attend services, but without their approval I would not attain a church membership or get the coveted mailbox I wanted that everyone else seemed to have. That silly mailbox is how I found out about the whole membership thing. I finally had to leave because I knew that there was no way that I could pass muster. I am a sinner, have been a sinner, and although I strive through God's daily guidance to sin no more, I am imperfect - certainly much less perfect than the congregation of that one church I had to leave. That church is a beautiful large new building, has a large congregation, a sophisticated music program, and are by all indications, doing quite well financially. They have a very strong Biblical base for their sermons and I appreciated the fervency of their convictions. It just didn't work out for me because in their view I was a pariah. In my opinion, it is their right to cast out from among them people that they view as immoral or not living up to the standards set by their conscience or by their interpretation of the Bible. Whether it is RIGHT or not is another matter. I leave the answer to that question up to God. I am neutral in my opinions lest I be judged.

Each week I attend worship at my now home church to ask forgiveness for my shortcomings, to pray for strength, and to ask the Lord to help me live without sin. I am unworthy - an unworthy sinner. This is the whole reason that Jesus was sacrificed in a manner so horrible and cruel - it was so that the likes of sinful humans like myself could be forgiven our sins; so that we can hope to be children of God rather than his enemy. I still sin - I slip and fall and find myself in despair and remorse having to approach God with a broken and contrite heart begging forgiveness. If not for Jesus, how would I even begin to ask for forgiveness? I would have no intercessor. Thank you God for giving us Your only Son so that we unworthy sinners may be saved.

So, my little old church in the trees down by the riverside may not have financial riches or meticulous membership qualifications, but it is rich with the healing spirit of God through Christ. I thank God for our material poverty if this means we have richness of spirit. And now, God be praised, we have realized that we possess this most wonderful gift of healing. Thank You Lord for these priceless blessings. Amen.

Hi Egraine,

Thank you for sharing your precious heart and wonderful testimony with us. It's awesome and wonderful that The Holy Spirit led you to this spirit filled church, and that they are submitting to walking in the calling that God has for it. Reminded me of the passage in Acts (acts 2:17)... that The Holy Spirit said that God would pour out His Spirit on all people...

I also felt led to share a couple of Scriptures with you.

If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action].
1 John 1:9 AMPC
http://bible.com/8/1jn.1.9.AMPC

Therefore, since we are now justified (acquitted, made righteous, and brought into right relationship with God) by Christ's blood, how much more [certain is it that] we shall be saved by Him from the indignation and wrath of God.
Romans 5:9 AMPC
http://bible.com/8/rom.5.9.AMPC

You can read Romans 5:1-11 for the full passage of what the Holy Spirit spoke through the Apostle Paul, but not one of us who has truly/sincerely accepted Jesus to be our Lord and Savior, is a sinner any longer. God views us as righteous because the blood of Christ has already and continues to cleanse us from all unrighteousness and sin. All we have to do is repent, and receive our cleansing, which restores us back to right standing with God.

Repentance breaks the hold that sin has on us at that moment and then cleanses us right then and there.

God bless you abundantly sister with much revelation knowledge about Him and His ways of doing things. For you are truly on your way :)

I belong to a very financially poor church, which is blessed with richness of fervent love for the Lord and has many parishioners and clergy who are spiritually gifted in healing. I have witnessed what is medically impossible, and I am currently witnessing the psychological healing of my husband whose childhood was beyond brutal and who has carried his terrible pain with him his entire life. This decision on the part of the church to become a healing church was certainly not motivated as a gimmick to make our little church more popular or prosperous, but the clergy, seeing that this church has been consistently gifted in this manner, wished to focus on what seems to be a clear calling from the Lord.

Praise God Almighty, Egraine! That sounds wonderful. I'm very happy to hear that your church moves in healing. That is a tremendous gift! You might want to hope it remains something of a secret though, for then only those truly led of the Lord will find you. Once it gets out that the gift of healing is in operation there, it will eventually become a madhouse. Not that that's a bad thing if you can handle it, but if not it would overwhelm the congregation, and might even hinder services from flowing in the Lord.

Anyway, that sounds like a very good church home you are involved in, and I congratulate you!

You might want to hope it remains something of a secret though, for then only those truly led of the Lord will find you. Once it gets out that the gift of healing is in operation there, it will eventually become a madhouse. Not that that's a bad thing if you can handle it, but if not it would overwhelm the congregation, and might even hinder services from flowing in the Lord

Why would anyone not want share what the Lord has so freely given with anyone who desires it. This can bring many people to the Lord, who need and don't know Him. Its not just for the body of Christ... but for everyone. Jesus said it is not the well who need a doctor, but the sick. And many people who don't know the Lord need to get their relationship started.

It's not up to us to say who is worthy to receive and who is not.

Blessings

Why would anyone not want share what the Lord has so freely given with anyone who desires it. This can bring many people to the Lord, who need and don't know Him. Its not just for the body of Christ... but for everyone. Jesus said it is not the well who need a doctor, but the sick. And many people who don't know the Lord need to get their relationship started.

It's not up to us to say who is worthy to receive and who is not.

Don't misunderstand. Practically the entire world longs to be healed of various physical diseases and ailments and injuries, yet the vast majority do not want the Lord Jesus Christ. They only want what He can give them. When such people completely crowd out meetings it can become impossible to minister to those who truly love God and intend on serving Him. I don't say we pick and choose. I say we should do our best to try and avoid becoming servants of the self-serving to the point where we can no longer even find those who truly have ears to hear, and hearts that will submit.

I'll bow out of the conversation. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Don't misunderstand. Practically the entire world longs to be healed of various physical diseases and ailments and injuries, yet the vast majority do not want the Lord Jesus Christ. They only want what He can give them. When such people completely crowd out meetings it can become impossible to minister to those who truly love God and intend on serving Him. I don't say we pick and choose. I say we should do our best to try and avoid becoming servants of the self-serving to the point where we can no longer even find those who truly have ears to hear, and hearts that will submit.

Oh your good. I just was wondering the thoughts behind your statement :)

And to remind others to not limit God. For God can and will use anything to bring one more soul into His kingdom and fellowship

We are in all a very quiet congregation, but we also are open, loving, and accepting especially of those who are broken in mind, body, and spirit. Christ once said something to the effect that it was those who were sick that needed healing. He made this comment in response to being rebuked for dining with tax collectors and other despised person's of the society at the time. When I first went to my current home church, I felt welcomed and comfortable and like I had finally found my way to where I needed to be. My sickness was my sin and my new church was a house of healing - the house of the Lord.

The church that I recently attended for over a year prior to being led by the Spirit to my current home church, had very strict rules about who could actually become a full member. This required sitting before a panel of elders and clergy to be examined. They were looking to exclude people from church membership who they considered unqualified by their stringent standards. I was free to attend services, but without their approval I would not attain a church membership or get the coveted mailbox I wanted that everyone else seemed to have. That silly mailbox is how I found out about the whole membership thing. I finally had to leave because I knew that there was no way that I could pass muster. I am a sinner, have been a sinner, and although I strive through God's daily guidance to sin no more, I am imperfect - certainly much less perfect than the congregation of that one church I had to leave. That church is a beautiful large new building, has a large congregation, a sophisticated music program, and are by all indications, doing quite well financially. They have a very strong Biblical base for their sermons and I appreciated the fervency of their convictions. It just didn't work out for me because in their view I was a pariah. In my opinion, it is their right to cast out from among them people that they view as immoral or not living up to the standards set by their conscience or by their interpretation of the Bible. Whether it is RIGHT or not is another matter. I leave the answer to that question up to God. I am neutral in my opinions lest I be judged.

Each week I attend worship at my now home church to ask forgiveness for my shortcomings, to pray for strength, and to ask the Lord to help me live without sin. I am unworthy - an unworthy sinner. This is the whole reason that Jesus was sacrificed in a manner so horrible and cruel - it was so that the likes of sinful humans like myself could be forgiven our sins; so that we can hope to be children of God rather than his enemy. I still sin - I slip and fall and find myself in despair and remorse having to approach God with a broken and contrite heart begging forgiveness. If not for Jesus, how would I even begin to ask for forgiveness? I would have no intercessor. Thank you God for giving us Your only Son so that we unworthy sinners may be saved.

So, my little old church in the trees down by the riverside may not have financial riches or meticulous membership qualifications, but it is rich with the healing spirit of God through Christ. I thank God for our material poverty if this means we have richness of spirit. And now, God be praised, we have realized that we possess this most wonderful gift of healing. Thank You Lord for these priceless blessings. Amen.
wow this is so wonderful

what a beautiful church you belong to

and what a beautiful heart for the Lord you have

thank you for posting

praying for you and your blessed little church

Hidden in Him: I totally understand what it is you are trying to say here, and I understand the basis of your legitimate concerns for our church. Honestly, however, I don't think that it will ever turn into the circus that you picture as a possibility of happening. Why I am not concerned is something I cannot articulate - just something I feel will not happen to our church. I sense that those who will come will come first out of a need to be closer to the Lord, and that that they will discover the healing aspects of our church after they start attending. The truth is, there are many churches around here who have the gift of healing, so we are not really a novelty in this region. In fact, it is such a 'usual' thing that around here people expect almost all the churches to have a strong healing ministry. It seems to me that any church has this capability through Jesus Christ, the greatest healer ever. I thank you, however, for your genuine concerns. May the Lord bless you for your sincere concerns.

Last edited:
Egraine, Among all that church is to me it is also definitely a place of healing..a hospital for sinners and those who need healing. I rejoice that yours is a place like that and you can see and experience the healing happening. And, yes, all churches should be places of healing especially in repairing the breaches between God and people. Thanks for sharing from your heart. Love it!

Hidden in Him: I totally understand what it is you are trying to say here, and I understand the basis of your legitimate concerns for our church. Honestly, however, I don't think that it will ever turn into the circus that you picture as a possibility of happening. Why I am not concerned is something I cannot articulate - just something I feel will not happen to our church. I sense that those who will come will come first out of a need to be closer to the Lord, and that that they will discover the healing aspects of our church after they start attending. The truth is, there are many churches around here who have the gift of healing, so we are not really a novelty in this region. In fact, it is such a 'usual' thing that around here people expect almost all the churches to have a strong healing ministry.

It's interesting you should say this. Out of curiosity, is your church associated with the Last Reformation movement by any chance?

Not as far as I know. It is actually a very non-descript middle of the road protestant church that had it origins in England at the time of Henry the 8th. Nothing exotic. Just a little church in a little town. (Or, do I betray my horrendous ignorance and is a church of this description associated with the Last Reformation movement?) Forgive me - I am a dolt when it comes to queries of this nature. Perhaps you can edify me and explain what "the Last Reformation movement" entails. I would be most grateful if you would share your knowledge with me. Then, next time someone asks me this question I will fully understand what it is that I am answering.

Thank you Hidden in Him.

Blessings.
Egraine

Or, do I betray my horrendous ignorance and is a church of this description associated with the Last Reformation movement?

No, no. You're fine. The Last Reformation movement is extremely recent. Started in 2011, if I'm not mistaken. I don't want to get too far into it because I'm not sure if I would be offending someone here or not. But let's just say I find it encouraging that your church is engaged in healing ministry without being part of that movement. Nuff said. :rolleyes:

Egraine Hidden In Him Here is a link to the movie that the church is based off of... God bless

http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/the-last-reformation-movie.46304/

Yeah. I have mixed feelings about how to respond regarding that movement, both here and elsewhere. I have three friends involved in it from different regions, and all are very excited about living for the Lord. Only I have great misgivings about the techniques used, and especially about the leadership. But it grieves my heart to have to be discouraging to those involved in it.

I'm torn... so I'm doing my best not to saying anything right now. In fact, this is the first time I'm saying anything about it in public.

Yeah. I have mixed feelings about how to respond regarding that movement, both here and elsewhere. I have three friends involved in it from different regions, and all are very excited about living for the Lord. Only I have great misgivings about the techniques used, and especially about the leadership. But it grieves my heart to have to be discouraging to those involved in it.

I'm torn... so I'm doing my best not to saying anything right now. In fact, this is the first time I'm saying anything about it in public.

In jim and i's opinion.. the concept is what we are in agreement with and the rest is up to God to correct if He feels it necessary. For its His job to make His servants stand or fall. Our job is to stick with the truth of the Word, and carry out the things that He calls each one of us to do.

Blessings

Thank you both for your answers and the links. I mentioned this movement to my uncle and he too just told me to google it and make up my own mind.

Hi Egraine,
Be cautious how and where you use the word movement. To you or myself we might see God moving and call it a movement However Christians and secular folks label things a movement that they "feel" is wrong. Christians are known for this.

See the church has gotten so far out of the way things were and should be.
Your church becoming a healing ground is the way it is supposed to be.
It's not a movement as some may say but actually operating the way the church is supposed to be operating.

The links in this thread are not some fad or movement as some claim but people who have tapped in to the way things are supposed to be.

Embrace it, grow in it and draw closer to God in it.
Blessings
FCJ

Back