New Zealand

Friend invited me to her church today as couldn't go last week.
It's a mission getting anywhere on the roads so that is why I don't go all the time. I live in suburbia and still can't even walk to church. My neighbour drives all the way across town to get to her worship meetings. I used to think this was just stupid, why can't every neighbourhood have a designated house for worship every couple of houses instead of everyone driving to a parking lot all across town to go to church. it makes no sense, and because church is on Sundays, the buses don't run in my area. I have never seen a Sunday church bus. Churches somehow expect everyone to be able to get there and don't provide much information if you want to visit.

Sorry just ranting. Most people only go to a church if their friends invite them.

Otherwise, things seem fine in New Zealand, though many church basements are still drying out from the floods I expect.

Some church buildings aren't very well maintained, because they are only really used once a week, things like windows and roofs arent' cleaned or aired. Mould is a problem. People have enough problems looking after their own houses, much less a church property.

Most church buildings are built on hills or somewhere high up not in valleys. So people can see them or they have steeples (or used to) though a lot of churches are providing temporary accomodation for those affected by floods.

As are libraries and other community buildings as civil defence centres.
I haven't ever stayed overnight at church though.

Christchurch is one of those cities that lost their cathedral in the earthquake tho I am not sure what is there now.
It was a very famous stone cathedral in the centre of town and much loved.

Auckland does not have anything similar although it does have several very old large churches, the kind with huge steeples, church organs, naves, stained glass windows, etc. I would say the Trinity Cathedral in Parnell is one of them, although it isn't the oldest. If you want to have a fancy church wedding, Aucklanders always book out the one in Parnell, because it's an old wooden Selwyn style church with stained glass windows, wooden pews, and fancy fretwork.

Back