Opinions on a scripture, please.

violet

Inactive
Opinions on a scripture, please.

What does this scripture mean to you, personally?
And Thank You~

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Bow down to the Holiness of Jesus Christ and ask for forgiveness of my sins, vowing to bury my past and to be resurrected with a new heart that will gorify our Lord and savior with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Personally, the "Repent" part has the most meaning. Too many folks skip over that part and continue to live their old lives even though they believe they accepted Christ. Until we realize how much we need Him, which can only happen once we realize how hopeless we are apart from Him, can we really call upon His name?

True repentance is required before salvation.

This was the answer to the question: what shall we do?
To understand his answer we read the affect of his sermon:
41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

Notice: the order of events. Peter said, repent and be baptized, they responded by accepting the message and after were baptized. IOW, they were saved, then baptized.

Baptism
Good question short answer is this :The early church followed the principles laid down by the Lord Jesus Christ :
He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.(Mark 16:16)so on the day of pentecost St. Peter preached the word of faith and those who listened where cut to the heart(believed)and the asked what should we do St. Peter said to them
Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.(Acts 2:38)this verses shows that baptism is the remission of sins and how can one be saved without there sins forgiven now if faith alone was sufficent for salvation what need was there to baptize 3000 in one day it would have been very easy for the Apostle to say you believe(have faith) the matter is over you are saved but this is not biblical if we want to do as the bible tells us we must look at all the cases of salvation in the bible and not just one if you search the N.T. you will find that when people where saved they where baptized and had the Apostles hands layed on them here is a short list of scripture to get you started-(John 3:-5)(Mark 16:16)(Matthew 28:19-20)(Titus 3:4-5)(Galatians 3:27)(Ephesians 5:25-27)(Romans 6:3-8)(Acts 2:41)(Acts 8:36-39)(Acts 16:33)and there are others have a look for your self
Repentance
This is also needed for salvation as without this we will perish as The Lord said: I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.(Luke 13:3-5)and some others are(2 Peter 3:9)(Acts 17:30)(Acts 26:20)(Romans 2:4-6)(Rev 2:5)(Rev 2:16)(Rev 3:3)(Rev 3:19)and so on have a look for your self
The last point i would like to make is this Baptism Washes away original sin and our personal sin but after that we need to repent and confess as the Lord said to The Apostles and there Successors
And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.(John 20:22-23)

May The Lord Bless
daniel2macarius
www.ourchurch.com/member/t/Truth4Today/

Something about this was playing in the back of my memory. I think it was something I heard Violet say, but I can't find the post. I'm referring to the word repent being used. Something about the original text being more accurately "repent and endure".

So, true repentence isn't just a guilty feeling that causes you to ask forgiveness. It's a demonstrated ability to change, and to stay the path until death. A lot of people like to look at that as "suffering now for glory later", but how can it be suffering? How can we say that we are filled with His Spirit, if to deny sin is suffering? With Christ in our lives, we will still face temptation, but doing His will and abandoning our sins is not suffering! Every moment we Don't sin is a gift, a taste of His mercy.

The only suffering there should be, is our old lives dying as we are crucified with Christ. The death throas of our old spirit as we are prepared to receive a new Spirit in us.

Something about this was playing in the back of my memory. I think it was something I heard Violet say, but I can't find the post. I'm referring to the word repent being used. Something about the original text being more accurately "repent and endure".

So, true repentence isn't just a guilty feeling that causes you to ask forgiveness. It's a demonstrated ability to change, and to stay the path until death. A lot of people like to look at that as "suffering now for glory later", but how can it be suffering? How can we say that we are filled with His Spirit, if to deny sin is suffering? With Christ in our lives, we will still face temptation, but doing His will and abandoning our sins is not suffering! Every moment we Don't sin is a gift, a taste of His mercy.

The only suffering there should be, is our old lives dying as we are crucified with Christ. The death throas of our old spirit as we are prepared to receive a new Spirit in us.

This comes up all the time. I agree with you we do not suffer by leaving the old self. We suffer when we refuse to stay dead. I tell people we get a new wanter but the old one is not far away.

Thank you, everyone!

Now....
what about this?

Is there importance in being baptized in Jesus' name as Peter said?
Jesus said in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost....

Who can explain this?
Which is correct?
If I am baptized the wrong way, then what?
Yes, I have been baptized~

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

There is a little Greek word in this passage that makes all the difference in how it is understood. The word in the Greek is "eis" and the translators used the English word "for" to translate it which is fine IF understood.

"For" (as used in Acts 2:38 "for the forgiveness...") could have two meanings. If you saw a poster saying "Jesse James wanted for robbery", "for" could mean Jesse is wanted so he can commit a robbery, or is wanted because he has committed a robbery. The later sense is the correct one. So too in this passage, the word "for" signifies an action in the past. Otherwise, it would violate the entire tenor of the NT teaching on salvation by grace and not by works.

Here is an example of the same word being used in the same manner in another passage;

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:

The English word "unto" is the Greek word "eis." It means because of, not to receive, in the passage just like in Acts 2:38, Also we have a passage in Acts where peter never mentions baptism.

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Also we have some people in Acts who receive the Holy Spirit before they are baptized. If baptism was needed for salvation the Spirit would not be given them until they got saved. Here is the verse;

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
So you see baptism has absolutely nothing to do with getting saved. It is a command and certainly if someone would refuse there would be question to their conversion, but baptism has no place in the act of salvation.

Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

1) "The New American Commentary" (Volume 26, page 117) "The connection of baptism with the forgiveness of sins in v. 38 has often been a matter of controversy [no kidding!]. A literal rendering of the verse runs: "Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for/on the basis of the forgiveness of your sins." The disputed word is the preposition eis, which could indicate purpose and thus be taken to mean that baptism is the prerequisite for the forgiveness of sins. There is ample evidence in the New Testament, however, that eis can also mean on the ground of, on the basis of, which would indicate the opposite relationship - that the forgiveness of sins is the basis, the grounds for being baptized. Perhaps more significant, however, is that the usual connection of the forgiveness of sins in Luke-Acts is with repentance and not with baptism at all (cf. Luke 24:47; Acts 3:19; 5:31). In fact, in no other passage of Acts is baptism presented as bringing about the forgiveness of sins. If not linked with repentance, forgiveness is connected with faith (cf. 10:43; 13:38f; 26:18 ). The dominant idea in 2:38 thus seems to be repentance, with the other elements following. Repentance leads to baptism, the forgiveness of sins, and the gift of the Spirit. The essential response Peter called from the Jewish crowd is the complete turnabout that comprises true repentance, to turn away from their rejection of the Messiah and to call upon his name, receive baptism into his community, and share the gift of the Spirit they had just witnessed so powerfully at work in the Christians at Pentecost."

2) "The Bible Exposition Commentary" (Volume One, page 410) "It is unfortunate that the translation of Acts 2:38 in the King James Version suggests that people must be baptized in order to be saved, because this is not what the Bible teaches. The Greek word eis (which is translated "for" in the phrase "for the remission of sins") can mean "on account of" or "on the basis of." In Matthew 3:11 John the Baptist baptized on the basis that people had repented. Acts 2:38 should not be used to teach salvation by baptism. If baptism is essential for salvation, it seems strange that Peter said nothing about baptism in his other sermons (Acts 3:12-26; 5:29-32; 10:34-43). In fact, the people in the home of Cornelius received the Holy Spirit before they were baptized! (Acts 10:44-48 ) Since believers are commanded to be baptized, it is important that we have a clean conscience by obeying (1 Peter 3:21), but we must not think that baptism is a part of salvation. If so, then nobody in Hebrews 11 was saved because none of them was ever baptized."

Hello Violet,
As you are aware this very thing has actually divided entire denominations. While there is actually no contradiction here some do make divisions over this.
The Lord I believe was giving the manner in which we are to be baptized. in other words the actual ordinance and words to be used.
Peter is dealing with a group of Jews who he was making every effort to show them that they had to accept this man Jesus as to whom they were being baptized into. This is very soon after the crucifixion of the Lord and most likely standing there were many who called for His death. I believe that Peter is simply making sure that they knew that Jesus was whom they were accepting and not simply sidestepping Him and going directly to God. For Him to repeat the words "the Father, and the Son and the Spirit in his explaination would not mean that they accepted Jesus so Peter is being very clear by using the Jesus. My assumption that when the actual baptism took place they used the words thhat the Lord called for, in the name of The Father, the Son, and the Spirit.

Thank you, everyone!

Now....
what about this?

Is there importance in being baptized in Jesus' name as Peter said?
Jesus said in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost....

Who can explain this?
Which is correct?
If I am baptized the wrong way, then what?

Yes, I have been baptized~

Freedomfromdestruction~

One thing I disagree with....

Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
So you see baptism has absolutely nothing to do with getting saved. It is a command and certainly if someone would refuse there would be question to their conversion, but baptism has no place in the act of salvation.

in the next scripture Peter demand they be baptized!

Hello Violet,
As you are aware this very thing has actually divided entire denominations. While there is actually no contradiction here some do make divisions over this.
The Lord I believe was giving the manner in which we are to be baptized. in other words the actual ordinance and words to be used.
Peter is dealing with a group of Jews who he was making every effort to show them that they had to accept this man Jesus as to whom they were being baptized into. This is very soon after the crucifixion of the Lord and most likely standing there were many who called for His death. I believe that Peter is simply making sure that they knew that Jesus was whom they were accepting and not simply sidestepping Him and going directly to God. For Him to repeat the words "the Father, and the Son and the Spirit in his explaination would not mean that they accepted Jesus so Peter is being very clear by using the Jesus. My assumption that when the actual baptism took place they used the words thhat the Lord called for, in the name of The Father, the Son, and the Spirit.
Yes, that makes sense!

I've only ever heard Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Though, I seem to remember one church I attended that talked about only one God, that was always all three, meaning that they were just three words that meant exactly the same thing. Maybe they wouldn't claim all three, but I'm not sure.

Hello Violet,
I totally agree wiith you. Baptism has nothing to do with getting saved. I am not sure of the disagreement.

Freedomfromdestruction~

One thing I disagree with....

quote~ freedfromdestruction : "So you see baptism has absolutely nothing to do with getting saved. It is a command and certainly if someone would refuse there would be question to their conversion, but baptism has no place in the act of salvation".

in the next scripture Peter demand they be baptized!

My Pastor explained it to me this way....

Baptism is your parents joining you to God's family. It is their decision - one that is made without your consent but one that blesses you. (We are baptized as infants in my church).

Confirmation is YOU accepting your baptism - we also call confirmation Reaffirmation of Baptism. This is a more direct choice because you are older and you decide to have this done. Argument can be made that it's still your parents decision because we are confirmed in middle school in our church and again, it's usually at your parent's "urging."

Repenting your sins, attending church, praying - that is your true affirmation of your faith. That is when Christ comes into your life at YOUR invitation.

So for me, I guess I would say it's when you repent that you are truly blessed with the Holy Spirit.

What does this scripture mean to you, personally?

And Thank You~

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
I'm not quite sure of what that means to be honest. However you picked a very good time to bring this subject up. I was raised Catholic so I was baptised when I was an infant. But when two life threatenting events occurred just a few years apart I needed the comfort I knew I could get from Jesus so made it official. I decided to be a devout Christian. I made a clear and precise statement in my prayers to be a followere of Jesus and accept him as my saviour. As time went on it occured to me that since it was not my personal choice to get baptised I decided to get baptised again, this time fully seekikng to get baptised and comprehending what it means. This will happen on Aug. 13 of next month.

I'm open to anyone who can share their understanding of Baptism since this is very important in my life at this time. I believe it will be a transitioning event for me.

Thanks

Pete

freedfromdestruction

I am sorry if I misled you.
I DO feel baptism is part of slavation.
That is what has always been in my heart.
I am not saying anyone else is wrong, but that is MY take on the scriptures.

All the responses are so appreciated and I believe they will be of help to others too.

Hello Violet,
thank you for the correction. Let ma ask you something. Does God give the Holy Spirit to a person who is lost?

I am sorry if I misled you.
I DO feel baptism is part of slavation.
That is what has always been in my heart.
I am not saying anyone else is wrong, but that is MY take on the scriptures.

All the responses are so appreciated and I believe they will be of help to others too.

Back