Our Brother's Keepers

Gen 4:9
And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not:Am I my brother's keeper?
(KJV)

When I was starting out as a new Christian, A question was asked in a Bible study:

In the story of Cain and Abel, Cain asks the above question. The lord never provided a direct answer. Are we our brother's keepers?

Well, are we? This is a discussion question, not really a poll.

I would give you more to consider in the way of clarification of issues, but I would first like your thoughts.

YES. Cain's question was an attempt to evade responsibility and try to keep hidden his murder of Abel. God has no need to answer Cain's question as the answer was indwelt in the question. His choice was not to be his brother's keeper, but rather his killer.
Very insightful! I never thought if it that way. You're right! (y) Shows too the God doesn't play games.

Gen 4:9
And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not:Am I my brother's keeper?
(KJV)

When I was starting out as a new Christian, A question was asked in a Bible study:

In the story of Cain and Abel, Cain asks the above question. The lord never provided a direct answer. Are we our brother's keepers?

Well, are we? This is a discussion question, not really a poll.

I would give you more to consider in the way of clarification of issues, but I would first like your thoughts.

Yes we are our "brothers keeper." Cain is basically asking a rhetorical question. Do I have a responsibility to my fellow man. as a child of God we understand we are to love our neighbor as ourselves and love our enemies...

Im gonna add something..jesus was also asked who his brothers and sisters and mother was.
He said those that do the will of God.

jesus had some brothers that didnt do this even his own mother Mary didnt believe in him (till later, after she lost him for 3 days) .and Judas pretended to be a brother but wasnt.

Cain basically disowned his brother by not doing the will of God.

Jesus said of Judas...it would have been better had he not even been born. Harsh words, but true..he betrayed him for 30 pieces of silver.

If Judas had asked forgiveness Jesus surely would have forgiven him but too late, and he committed suicide rather than face up to Him.

Think same thing kinda happened with Saul.
Even when David commited adultery and murder he got down on his knees and asked forgiveness. He repented.
Cain did not do this. he was basically arrogant. But interesting thing was God had mercy on him, although he was marked for life.

I dont know but I think this is the origin of the mark of the beast....those of God have his name written on their foreheads, those that dont have the beast, or satan.

Literally or symbolically..as the first commandment says, love the Lord your God...with all your MIND and STRENGTH.
Head and hands.
You see orthodox Jews trying to follow this commandment using phylacteries. Well we christians dont need to do this literally, but its true his words are written on the tablets of our hearts thus in our minds and in our hands the way we think, and the way we act.

Not disagreeing with anything said above, I would like to further the discussion:

A keeper also makes and possibly enforces decisions with which the kept my disagree.

If one is a benefactor of a brother, does he have any call to that brother enforcing his views?

Not disagreeing with anything said above, I would like to further the discussion:

A keeper also makes and possibly enforces decisions with which the kept my disagree.

If one is a benefactor of a brother, does he have any call to that brother enforcing his views?

Ultimately, each individual is responsible for their own choices and God has given us the choice to walk with Him or walk away. God doesn't force it so...we can't either. When you are talking about Nations, tho...I think this is a horse of a different color. God judges Nations, as well as individuals....My responsibility is to abide and stand forth for God's Will - to reflect His Glory, in any way I can. I'm still researching "righteousness" but my preliminary impressions such people can save cities (the lesson of Sodom, etal).

A keeper may also be called to answer for the misdeeds of his charges.

Does this give the keeper any right to impose his will on his brother?

A keeper may also be called to answer for the misdeeds of his charges.

Does this give the keeper any right to impose his will on his brother?

You are defining "keeper" as an overlord of some sort. Any person who misleads another is accountable for his/her own actions but you (rhetorical) cannot be held accountable for another's refusal to see the truth. Your responsibility ends when you have done your best to show AND tell scriptural truth.

Caine was first born of the twins and as such had a responsibility. The word "keeper" in Hebrew is to watch over, to protect, to save a life. Caine wasn't just being disrespectful, he lied to God.

In the time I have spent on this site, I have felt brotherhood with many.

Are you my keepers?

As Christians, do we have any obligations to our brothers that benefit us?

In the time I have spent on this site, I have felt brotherhood with many.

Are you my keepers?

As Christians, do we have any obligations to our brothers that benefit us?

I have six reasons why we are each other's keepers in even an online forum such as this, which are the same reasons why we need the local church:

1. It is good for people not to be alone.
Genesis 2:18

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone...”

The Church is the family of God. Just as a child needs a family for protection and growth, so we too need a spiritual family for the same reasons.
Psalm 68:6

God places the lonely in families;he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy.But he makes the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

Helps protect us from deception.
1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn away from the true faith; they will follow deceptive spirits and teachings that come from demons.

4. Helps protect us from false teaching.
2 Peter 2:1
But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves.

5. We can discover, develop, and release our gifts and talents to glorify God.
Read Romans 12 and 1 Corinthians 12.

We are encouraged by God to encourage each other in love, spurring on one another in our walk, remembering to meet together regularly.
Hebrews 10:25
And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

As I indicated at first, this question came from a Bible study in my early Christian life. As that was when I was in me senior year of high school, or maybe my first year of college and I am now in my 60s, you can appreciate how long ago that was.

I do not know if it was the difference in times, or the spiritual maturity we lacked then, but were displayed here, but I thank you all for your indulging me. The discussions in my youth were much more self justified and resentful of "meddling"

I had a few other related questions but I doubt if I could lead you "down the garden path" as the saying goes.

The thing that now stands out in my mind comes from my last question where I turned the question around to address the issue from the point of view of the Christian receiving the concern of each other.

The response of Euphemia regarding the importance of belonging to a caring church is especially well taken.

We must be willing to be instructed and otherwise served by others as well as the other way around.

This is even true when we feel that one that would be our keeper in love is spiritually weaker than we. Taking that aid can strengthen that younger spirit as well as edifying ourselves.

Thanks to all

Back