Our dog(s)

Hoping to see a thread just on CFS member's dog(s).

I'll start of with my dog, Luke. He is an Australian Red Kelpie.
Except for my first dog, all my other dogs were rescued. Luke was my last dog.
He has passed away, but I still have him close in my heart. I miss him very much.
He understood everything I said to him. We were best of mates.
Luke-halo.png

I obedience train all my dogs. Luke was a great pupil. However, one day he decided to ignore me when I called him. It was quite funny to see him turn his head away as if to say, 'I cannot see you therefore I cannot hear you.' I let it go, and went up to him instead, put his lead on and took him for our daily walk to the park.

When we got to the park I let him off the leash to run around and have fun. His favourite game was to play cat and mouse (dog and bird) with the magpies. He would bark at the magpies in a tree, then run away. The magpies would swoop down and chase after him. Just before the magpies reached Luke he would leap in the air and twist around to trying and catch them (all in fun). The magpies would swerve out of the way and head back to the tree, with Luke now chasing after them. This scenario was repeatedly played.

When it was time to go home, I went to call Luke. He was about 200 yards/metres away with the birds. I remembered his previous denial, and decided to test his hearing. This time my usual whistle had a very low volume. Luke instantly stopped his game and came running back to me. When he arrived and sat directly in front of me for me to put the lead on, I said quietly, "I know now you can hear me." You should have seen his guilty look. I could not help but give him a big hug.

Luke had never tried to ignore me again.

I wish to share another story about Luke and two visiting dogs.
Friends and their dogs, Luke and myself, went on a long walk through the nearby countryside. We got back just before lunchtime. My friends were relaxing inside, and the dogs were resting under the shady tree next to the back door.
As I was preparing lunch, I decided to give the dogs a treat, and took three bones out of the fridge. I opened the back door and the dogs instantly knew what I had for them. I gave the first bone to Luke. He quickly ran off into the sunlight to warm up his bone. In the meantime the other dogs got their bones and followed Luke to the sunny area. These dogs were waiting and guarding their bone, but Luke left his bone to came back and see if there were anymore bones. We both were looking at each other, empty handed. I said to Luke, "you left your bone unguarded, you better go back to it." Luke's eyes suddenly opened in shock, and he ran back to his bone.

It is moments like these when I get reminded how much we understood each other.

I obedience train all my dogs. Luke was a great pupil. However, one day he decided to ignore me when I called him. It was quite funny to see him turn his head away as if to say, 'I cannot see you therefore I cannot hear you.' I let it go, and went up to him instead, put his lead on and took him for our daily walk to the park.

When we got to the park I let him off the leash to run around and have fun. His favourite game was to play cat and mouse (dog and bird) with the magpies. He would bark at the magpies in a tree, then run away. The magpies would swoop down and chase after him. Just before the magpies reached Luke he would leap in the air and twist around to trying and catch them (all in fun). The magpies would swerve out of the way and head back to the tree, with Luke now chasing after them. This scenario was repeatedly played.

When it was time to go home, I went to call Luke. He was about 200 yards/metres away with the birds. I remembered his previous denial, and decided to test his hearing. This time my usual whistle had a very low volume. Luke instantly stopped his game and came running back to me. When he arrived and sat directly in front of me for me to put the lead on, I said quietly, "I know now you can hear me." You should have seen his guilty look. I could not help but give him a big hug.

Luke had never tried to ignore me again.
Awww that's a sweet story. It sounded like you had a special relationship with him. Thanks for sharing.

I wish to share another story about Luke and two visiting dogs.
Friends and their dogs, Luke and myself, went on a long walk through the nearby countryside. We got back just before lunchtime. My friends were relaxing inside, and the dogs were resting under the shady tree next to the back door.
As I was preparing lunch, I decided to give the dogs a treat, and took three bones out of the fridge. I opened the back door and the dogs instantly knew what I had for them. I gave the first bone to Luke. He quickly ran off into the sunlight to warm up his bone. In the meantime the other dogs got their bones and followed Luke to the sunny area. These dogs were waiting and guarding their bone, but Luke left his bone to came back and see if there were anymore bones. We both were looking at each other, empty handed. I said to Luke, "you left your bone unguarded, you better go back to it." Luke's eyes suddenly opened in shock, and he ran back to his bone.

It is moments like these when I get reminded how much we understood each other.
I love the story. We do communicate with animals. Most people just don't realize it. When the visiting dove wouldn't fly away (we were uncertain if she could because the guy placed her in our bird feeder) my wife said to her, "Why don't you go home now sweetie" and she flew away.

I agree with you Abdicate. I believe if we communicate from our heart, our language becomes universal (many tongues). It is as if they read our minds (telepathically). I also believe they read our intent. When we come from an unconditional love, all animals pick up on that, and respond unconditionally back.

That reminds me of a time when I took Luke to the vet about his sore eye. The vet wanted to put a muzzle on him. I said he won't need it. I had to reassure the vet that Luke would not bite him. I told Luke that the vet knew what he was doing and I'll stay with him. The vet examined the eye to discover an embedded grass seed. The vet used tweezers, and after three attempts got the seed out. Throughout the whole process Luke just looked into my eyes and did not flinch a muscle. At the end of it all the vet said, "In all my years as a vet, I have never seen a dog so trusting." I felt so proud of Luke. I said to Luke, "He is finished, it's all over." With that he licked the vets face with gratitude, and jumped down from the table happy as anything.

Peter Luke, that story with the vet reminded me of one of our dogs years back. This was a Rottweiler, Bull Mastiff, Chao and Pyrenees Mountain dog cross. Needless to say, this dog had presence, apart from the size.
Whenever we took old Buddy to the vet, they would have to open the side door to the practice because whenever we brought the dog in the main door, all the animals in the waiting room did their best to vacate the premises.
He of course, would not make a peep or anything, as if the king walked in and the rest had to make way.
It was kinda same with my friends from school.

Ron is so calm and cooperative during visiting vet that last time we were there, the vet told me: "Wouldn´t you like to get another dog and raise him in the same way?" :D
Once he needed a surgery and we were there waiting for doctors to prepare it. When one of the doctors came to Ron to give him a cannula, Ron just raised his paw and gave it to the doctor. They all laughed and said that next time he could come whithout me because he knows what to do.

I have a lot of respect and admiration for veterinarians. The main reason why I say this is because the have to know the physiology and biology of so many different animal species. Also, animals do not so clearly describe their symptoms to the vet. The vet has to heavily rely on signs and symptoms from observation and years of experience. Whereas the usual medical practitioner is human species specific, and can get a lot of information from the patient-doctor communication. Besides, not many patients bite their doctors.:LOL:

I'm sure though, after receiving the bill some might consider it.
Nl: Besides, not many patients bite their doctors.:LOL:

Last edited:
I agree with you Abdicate. I believe if we communicate from our heart, our language becomes universal (many tongues). It is as if they read our minds (telepathically). I also believe they read our intent. When we come from an unconditional love, all animals pick up on that, and respond unconditionally back.

That reminds me of a time when I took Luke to the vet about his sore eye. The vet wanted to put a muzzle on him. I said he won't need it. I had to reassure the vet that Luke would not bite him. I told Luke that the vet knew what he was doing and I'll stay with him. The vet examined the eye to discover an embedded grass seed. The vet used tweezers, and after three attempts got the seed out. Throughout the whole process Luke just looked into my eyes and did not flinch a muscle. At the end of it all the vet said, "In all my years as a vet, I have never seen a dog so trusting." I felt so proud of Luke. I said to Luke, "He is finished, it's all over." With that he licked the vets face with gratitude, and jumped down from the table happy as anything.
I love these stories of your dog Luke. Please keep sharing them!

A long time ago, my wife and I, bred German Shepard dogs. They were sold only after they reached nine months of age and obedience trained.
One year, a particular pup stood out as the most loyal, brave, and obedient one of the litter. He was named Tapfer (a German word for brave). When he was sold, like many of the others, it was sad to see them go. However, after about six months, Tapfer was sent back to us as a nervous wreck. He was systematically abused by the owner.

Tapfer became uncontrollable. He would respond to any obedience command by cowering and urinating. No matter how gentle we were in the command, he would just blank-out in absolute fear. The only thing he wanted to do was to play (chase the) stick.
My ex-wife used to say, "a dog cannot choose its owner, but can choose its master." However, she gave up Tapfer as a lost cause for rehabilitation since he no longer respected her as a former master. But I saw Tapfer as a lost dog, waiting to be found somehow.

About nine months later, the tick season was at its peak. Tapfer got a tick and showed signs of paralysis. We treated Tapfer like any other dog with tick poisoning, but he was not responding. We took him to the vet. The vet said that Tapfer was allergic to tick anti-venom, and there was nothing he could do. By the time we got back home, Tapfer was completely paralyzed. My wife said it is pointless to nurse him, but I did not listen. I stayed with him, on the floor, all night long. Tapfer and I went through a few touch-and-go episodes, but he made it through to the morning. By lunchtime, he was showing signs of improvement. Three days later he was his happy to play stick mood again.

A week later, I had to go into town to pick up my wife, but first I had to put Tapfer on the chain. I saw Tapfer, about 150 metres away, playing stick with the neighbors kids. I really did not feel like going over there to get him, but something told me to try giving him a call. So I called out, "Tapfer." Well you should have seen him! He spat out the stick and came running towards me. He stopped right in front of me to put his chain on him. I fell on my knees hugging him and crying. Tapfer was back!

On the way home from town, I told my wife what happened. She was happy but could not believe it. Once at home, she tried to give Tapfer a few basic commands, but he did not respond (but no longer fearful). Then I tried the commands, and Tapfer returned with perfect obedience responses. My wife instantly resented losing Tapfer to me, she knew then that Tapfer chose me to be his master, and their was nothing she could do about it. It was sad that she always carried that resentment.

When I first got Luke he showed a lot of intelligence for a dog. In a very short time, through basic obedience training, he turned from a pest to a pet. All was fine until the day of the missing pot.

That day I went to do my gardening and saw a strange site, a pot plant without a plastic pot. The plant and soil was intact and upright, but no pot. I was dumbfounded for a while until I saw Luke keeping his distance looking guilty for some reason. Somehow I knew there was a connection. But I cannot do anything about it until I can catch him in the act.

Every few days, for two weeks, I would find another naked pot plant, but no evidence of Luke's involvement, except for some very slight scratch marks on the plant's stem, as if by teeth marks. Luke's gentleness were that of respect for the plants. In that two week period I looked everywhere for those pots, even in the bush land around the property - no luck. Then I realized that there was one place I did not look - under the house.

I grabbed a torch and crawled on my belly into the narrowest section to find several mauled pot plants. As I took them out I was wondering what to do about it.
I knew that without catching Luke in the act the training would not be so successful. Dogs respect fairness, once that respect is lost, it takes a LOT of work to regain it. So I had to either stay up all day and night guarding the plants to catch him, or give up. But then I remembered he did show some guilt, and hid the pots from me, so Luke already knows he is at wrong, but also knows he can get away with it.

The next day I came up with a plan. I decided to get all the mauled pots and place them in his dog home. But that did not work either, he just hid them again under the house. So I had to go back and haul them ought again. By this time I was running out of tolerance. I took the pots and strung them together and tied it around Luke's neck like a necklace. Luke just laid down feeling guilty. It was already afternoon, and I decided to keep his necklace on him until dusk - a few hours yet. At dusk I took his collar off and he went into his dog home. The next morning he was still brooding in his box until I called him for his early morning walk. He sprung out of his home knowing he was forgiven. He never chewed up another plastic pot, but I did increase his bone supply as a substitute.

Anybody else have photos or a story to tell about their pet dog(s)?

Hi Peter, sadly not, all in storage 1000km away still.
I can tell you about our last family dog, which sadly passed away early last year. She was a Labrador named Akeysha.
Of course, while young, she drove me crazy, always diffing up plants and digging holes all over the place - in spite of a whole lot of playing. Many people told us, no, Labradors settle down after three years and then are not that naughty, well, this girl was naughty till about the age on nine.
Still we loved her dearly, at some point during 2010 when the kids were small, I was at work, not sure what mom was busy with, but the kids decided, no this dog needs a touch of colour.
Luckily all non-toxic and water based, this was a roll-on type in cans similar to your roll on deodorant. she probably though, oh what special day is this with all the rubbing and pampering from the kids.
Needless to say, I arrived from work and opened the gate, and as I closed the gate, my eye caught site of the dog, and I could only pause and stare with my trap hanging open.
There was the cream Labrador, very proudly wagging her tail with her pink, yellow and blue coat very proudly sporting her new colours.

Back