Please report changes

Jeff
The Private section where most of the generally posting is, isn't private now. Neither are the subdivisions in that - section Advice, Salvation, and Prophecy. Some post more sensitive issues there so it is not broadcasted to the whole world. If that cannot still be private with this setup, I'd suggest perhaps title it "Personal", since it is for more personal subjects. Then others won't be posting there thinking it will be private but instead can be read.

Will fix that asap. Thanks.

Jeff. glad you're back! Maybe you can help us with some of our problems. Re. post 52 where I was asking about a way to calculate the figures to upgrade internal links, Nickljones has worked this out. Still doing all the changes by hand of course, but he could tell you how if it's of value.

With the Inner Room indexes nowhere near fitting into the 10,000 character limit can you please increase this for us asap. Thanks! (If not fixable, then sadlly we're going to end up with these rather messy for people to navigate.)

Cheers!

- BM

I got your email. Will reply.

Jeff. glad you're back! Maybe you can help us with some of our problems. Re. post 52 where I was asking about a way to calculate the figures to upgrade internal links, Nickljones has worked this out. Still doing all the changes by hand of course, but he could tell you how if it's of value.

With the Inner Room indexes nowhere near fitting into the 10,000 character limit can you please increase this for us asap. Thanks! (If not fixable, then sadlly we're going to end up with these rather messy for people to navigate.)

Cheers!

- BM

Hi Bondman, the characters limit has been increased to 20,000. I read on the devs board that the more the characters per thread, the heavier it is for the system to load it. May be that's why the limit. I think it's okay on our server.

I still have some work done in regards to urls. I don't think it will change anymore but just to be on the safe side, waiting for another week while fix it would be my advice.

Hi Bondman, the characters limit has been increased to 20,000. I read on the devs board that the more the characters per thread, the heavier it is for the system to load it. May be that's why the limit. I think it's okay on our server.

I still have some work done in regards to urls. I don't think it will change anymore but just to be on the safe side, waiting for another week while fix it would be my advice.

Thanks, Jeff. I think we needed 30,000 last time. Fortunately this is likely to concern only Inner Room Indexes (2), so it shouldn't materially affect your server. Had I been aware of the problem way back, I'd have not written so many posts for each section of the IR of course! Also I'm now aware that most forums have the lower limit of 10,000 or round about.

I hope the URL stuff DOESN'T change as I think that Nick has most of them done!!...

- BM

Thanks, Jeff. I think we needed 30,000 last time. Fortunately this is likely to concern only Inner Room Indexes (2), so it shouldn't materially affect your server. Had I been aware of the problem way back, I'd have not written so many posts for each section of the IR of course! Also I'm now aware that most forums have the lower limit of 10,000 or round about.

I hope the URL stuff DOESN'T change as I think that Nick has most of them done!!...

- BM

I'll change it to 30k. No problem. The server resources will go waste otherwise. :D
The url has changed a bit. If you notice index.php has been removed from threads and posts. I don't think it will affect IR as the old xf urls should redirect to the new one automatically. Test it out and let me know.

Hi Bondman, when I said old urls, I wasn't talking about the vb4 or vb3 urls. They won't work. I was talking about the urls that came with the new software. They have been slightly changed a few hours back but they are still compatible with the slightly older ones that came with this new software.

This is just way too hard to navigate. It stresses me out lollllll.

I totally understand what Katie is saying. I've deliberately chosen NOT to say what I felt about this program till at least some of the dust had settled. But problems are myriad. I don't understand why we're using a Beta if that's what it is. For those who don't know what that means, in general, programmers start writing the program's code, and eventually get to the Alpha version, which means the program is starting to take shape but has a fair way to go. They continue and eventually will have the Beta version, which is getting closer to being finished.

In Beta they are doing final changes and tidying, and most of all looking for problems and bugs. Sometimes they'll release a Beta for free for people to use and feed back to the programmers problems they find. But I NEVER put a Beta version on our computers! I don't see it as my job to fix THEIR problems, PLUS I do not need the agro of things not working.

Eventually the final version is released, maybe called Version 1.0 or similar, where, in theory, there are no problems left. If I'm right that this is a Beta then there's NO way we should be using it IMO (and particularly after the other changes we've had in the past year). I won't even buy a FINAL version till it's been out for some time, for they always still have bugs! - Microsoft Vista being a prime example. It was a disaster and those who bought the final release early copped the problems.

To me this program is also poorly programmed, very poor interface (probably partly explains the 'cold feeling' some have reported), nothing from our previous program's problems fixed, but rather still there - plus many more. I doubt that these guys really know what they're doing, and I for one do not want to use their program.

- BM

Thank you for your feedback Bondman. I sometimes have trouble understanding until its really clear to me.

Poor interface meaning, too plain/less colours/less features? What from previous program needs fixing? I have some free (but still limited) time this week to fix problems. So I'll work on them based on your feedback. Could you give me examples so I know what exactly I should work on now. Thanks.

I chose to switch to beta version for two reasons. One is to support the devs while in beta from the feedback received here. When its stable, its more difficult to get the developers to change a stable program. Second, I am in India now with more time at hand to work on the forums. In about 10 days, I am moving to Melbourne and will be looking for a new job and plus changing my citizenship to Australian so it will be a very busy month. I wanted to make changes while I had the time. Alpha version will be release by the end of this year. Upgrades are easy for me. The migration and server change which I just did took a lot of my time not just doing changes but also learning how to use it. Also I had stay up at night to be with the tech people as they worked. Time was a big factor. Another reason was finance.

Previous software was far more buggier from a technical point of view. This version was written by experts and I am quite positive they will improve in time.

Please do continue posting your feedback. That's how I know what to do.

it just seems more complicated to get around m8.the whats new has full posts instead of the tread titles.just little things,it seems more difficult to find treads etc.i know it,s difficult for you m8,andi,m not trying to be offensive or difficult you have done wonders for us all.

My ill-health and the desperate ill-health of my wife makes it very hard for me to write all problems I've struck. But I'll try. Both programs fail to allow you to SAVE what you've written. Numbers of people write long or longish posts. I couldn't count how many times I've lost all I've written because of this failing. Others report the same. It's so LOGICAL to allow saving, that programmers who don't put in things like that utterly astonish me, and give me little faith in their abilities to create a good forum program.

The navigation writing is far too insignificant (small), often unclear what is meant, and between posts there's no effective delineation between them, so that you don't know which post you've clicked something for!!! Very frustrating.

There's no 'Page 1 2 3' to click at the bottom of pages. Just at the top. How did they miss such an important navigation tool?

When using "More Options" you have NO previous posts below to refer to, which is slowly driving me crazy.

At the top there should be something to click to take you to the last post - not just 171, which one has to guess may take you to the last page. It does, but to the TOP of the page, when mostly we want to go to the bottom of the last page. What's needed is a "LAST" that takes you to the actual LAST post. Common sense I would have thought.

Probably far too many posts per page - makes it very ponderous to find a post you're after.

I clicked on A/A to fix a code problem, but there's no obvious way to return (I eventually found it - another confusing and misleading instruction in a different place called Use Rich Text Editor. Umm... how's that again??

I'd expect they are targeting the massively used previous program we had here (sorry, can't remember its name), so it would be logical to supply a facility that changes internal links over to correct format for those who need it. Having to change by hand is awful.

I couldn't find how to do a quote so coded it myself. Eventually I discovered that Reply means Reply with Quote. So why not call it that? Silly. Needs something like Reply and also Reply with Quote. This is just ONE of the MANY things that come under my contention that the interface of this program is simply NOT ready for us to use!

I like the ability to write a new post at the bottom, with ALL enhancements available. However the facility to Watch a Thread, and Receive Email Notification is not there, but is "hidden" for many posters unless they click on 'More Options.' Logic says it should be in both places.

I've not put in a link yet, but note that it's grayed anyway. I tried for a couple of minutes to get it to work but failed. Therefore the interface failed.

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten, just as it's likely I've written things above that others found easy. But that's my take to date on the new program.

- BM

Bondman,

You have a very legitimate concern about being able to SAVE posts as they are being typed.

When I know I want to post something that is going to be a bit lengthy I type in my Word Processor and save it to my hard-drive. I make all the changes and corrections from my hard-drive until I know my post reads just the way I want it to. Then, when I am satisfied with my writing I cut and paste it here to the forum.

That's just how I do it, because I too have lost long posts to some glitch in the system. That can truly be frustrating.

;)

It may be a minor nit, but I miss the old profiles which actually told you something about the person. I used to often refer to them to help me get a sense of who people were and where they were coming from. It helped me get a better sense of how to respond to someone. I always tried to look up newcomers as soon as I could to get some sense of who these new people are. Now all I can usually see is maybe their sex and age. The old profiles gave me an immediate sense of connection even before they posted.

It may be a minor nit, but I miss the old profiles which actually told you something about the person. I used to often refer to them to help me get a sense of who people were and where they were coming from. It helped me get a better sense of how to respond to someone. I always tried to look up newcomers as soon as I could to get some sense of who these new people are. Now all I can usually see is maybe their sex and age. The old profiles gave me an immediate sense of connection even before they posted.

Amen to that!

Thumbs Up Down 31.jpg

Jeff
If I go to whats new it doesn't go back to the other threads very far. When I go to my profile or someone elses profile and click on postings, it gives some of their posts not all . At the bottom of that page if you click on all threads and also on all contents ( which is probably all their posts) still its only for this month on mine and a few months on some others. I have been here almost a year and some have been here 3 years. There is no way to find all the posts of a person or all the conversations the last year or so without going through every forum section and hunting for them, which is almost impossible to find what we are looking for

Could you put ALL threads at the top with the other things, all threads that are watched and not watched, so that it goes back to everything since you started this forum? It goes back through 2009, and I see one on may 2008 if that's when this was started. But I don't know if its really all of them or some of them like when we first started on this new one.

Right now if you click watched threads, that is only the ones we subscribed to that we haven't read. If you go to the bottom of that page is says all watched threads, which is all the ones we have subscribed to so thats not really all of the threads or posts at all. Mine goes back to the middle of 2009.

You have a very legitimate concern about being able to SAVE posts as they are being typed.

When I know I want to post something that is going to be a bit lengthy I type in my Word Processor and save it to my hard-drive. I make all the changes and corrections from my hard-drive until I know my post reads just the way I want it to. Then, when I am satisfied with my writing I cut and paste it here to the forum.

That's just how I do it, because I too have lost long posts to some glitch in the system. That can truly be frustrating.

;)

InHisLove
Another thing you can do is after you type the message here, copy it. Then go to more options, which is review. If it doesn't go through, just paste it again. Make changes if you need to copy and post reply. If it doesn't go through again, you still have it to paste in

InHisLove
Another thing you can do is after you type the message here, copy it. Then go to more options, which is review. If it doesn't go through, just paste it again. Make changes if you need to copy and post reply. If it doesn't go through again, you still have it to paste in

Cool! Thanks!

Back